Iron Shafts for 60 and Over?

weten2

Looking at this crowd
I am 60 and very good health and strength and looking to what type of shaft to go with. A 75 g graphite shaft seemed too light and soft (reg.) and larger misses. I do tire with even light steel and have tennis elbow. Do I get in better shape, go with steel and do other things to accomodate the tennis elbow, or should I go with something for the long haul like graphite to reduce pains and tiring?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should look into AeroTech Steelfiber shafts. They are graphite core wrapped with 59 miles of steel fiber. Several different weight options, shock absorption of graphite with trajectory and dispersion of steel.

Driver- Cally Mavrik SZ 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
3wd- Cally Flash SZ, UST ATTAS Elements, S
Hybrids- Cally Flash 18* & Apex Pro 24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
Irons- TM 790 4-6,  TM 760 6-PW,  Steelfiber i95, S
GW- TM  770, Modus 105 S
SW/LW- Cally MD3, Modus 105 S
Putter- Cameron Futura

• 2 weeks later...

Seems the older I get, the more I don't know , so Nippon 850's are the latest project. I am installing them in an old set of Mizuno heads, called AXIS. Never heard of these heads, but trust they will be fine. I finished the PW yesterday and it hit very well. My friends remind me that I will be able to move up to the front TBOX soon, ...(not crazy about that..LOL) My shop is also a mess, again, and I better get the inventory off the floor.
Keep the thread going Bros! ..and Hit'm good! :clapping:

teespoon....(brewing coffee)

[quote name='marrigo' post='1927465' date='Sep 1 2009, 03:45 PM']You should look into AeroTech Steelfiber shafts. They are graphite core wrapped with 59 miles of steel fiber. Several different weight options, shock absorption of graphite with trajectory and dispersion of steel.[/quote]
+1. Excellent shafts for the reasons stated above.

Try the new TaylorMade Burner irons, 85 gram steel R flex. They actually pley like a senior flex , but are more accurate than graphite. I'm 60 and switched from graphite to steel for accuracy, but I hit these just as far.

TM M1 , Matrix White Tie
Tour Edge Exotics EX8 14*
TEE EX8 16.5*, Rogue 60
Callaway Steelhead XR 3-AW, Recoil 760
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 54* ,Recoil 95
Cal. MD PM 58*, Recoil 95
Rife Bellevue, SNSR Red 104
Super Stroke S-tech grips
Wilson Duo-U

I turned 60 recently and still enjoying good health; thanks to regular visits to the gym. I am also very happy that I can still put a good swing on my PX 6.0 Flighted shafts and haven't lost distance.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• 2 weeks later...

My Dad is 65, in good shape and uses Nippons in his AP1s.

He hits his 7 iron from 150.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade my irons but, being a 74 year old lefty, the opportunity to demo irons with different lightweight shafts varies between very limited to none existent ! Having long been convinced that the most important part of any iron is the shaft (and to cut a long story short), I bought a couple of cheap ex-demo LH 6 irons and over a couple of months I tried just about every generally available steel and graphite shaft i.e. True Temper; Nippon; UST; Grafalloy; Aldila and a couple more brands I can't recall.

Nothing, and I mean [b][i]nothing[/i][/b], either steel or graphite, came close to the [b]R flex Nippon[/b] [b]NS Pro 850 GH[/b] steel in terms of consistency and accuracy. I did not try the Nippon 750 as I felt they would be too light, but I did try their 950 and 1050 shafts but found them to be unresponsive compared to the 850s - which is probably down to my slowish swing-speed. The 850 are a constant sub-90gram weight shaft, are extremely smooth and, whilst I don't understand it, forearm and wrist problems that I suffered with my previous irons have completely disappeared.

When I upgraded my irons, I went from Ping i3+/CS 90 R Shafts to forged Mizuno MX 25/Nippon GH 850 Shafts and couldn't be more pleased. If it helps at all, my iron swing speed is around 70mph and my 150 yard iron is the 6 iron. My golf is purely social, my club handicap is 14.2 but as I'm now playing well inside that, I think my handicap is due to go a little further south.

[quote name='Jenner' post='1985905' date='Oct 3 2009, 02:13 PM']Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade my irons but, being a 74 year old lefty, the opportunity to demo irons with different lightweight shafts varies between very limited to none existent ! Having long been convinced that the most important part of any iron is the shaft (and to cut a long story short), I bought a couple of cheap ex-demo LH 6 irons and over a couple of months I tried just about every generally available steel and graphite shaft i.e. True Temper; Nippon; UST; Grafalloy; Aldila and a couple more brands I can't recall.

Nothing, and I mean [b][i]nothing[/i][/b], either steel or graphite, came close to the [b]R flex Nippon[/b] [b]NS Pro 850 GH[/b] steel in terms of consistency and accuracy. I did not try the Nippon 750 as I felt they would be too light, but I did try their 950 and 1050 shafts but found them to be unresponsive compared to the 850s - which is probably down to my slowish swing-speed. The 850 are a constant sub-90gram weight shaft, are extremely smooth and, whilst I don't understand it, forearm and wrist problems that I suffered with my previous irons have completely disappeared.

When I upgraded my irons, I went from Ping i3+/CS 90 R Shafts to forged Mizuno MX 25/Nippon GH 850 Shafts and couldn't be more pleased. If it helps at all, my iron swing speed is around 70mph and my 150 yard iron is the 6 iron. My golf is purely social, my club handicap is 14.2 but as I'm now playing well inside that, I think my handicap is due to go a little further south.[/quote]

[b]Excellent post... thank you ![/b]

"Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." - John Wooden

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” - Henry Thoreau

I'm 53, so I'm not far behind you. I switched from DGS300 to Aerotech Steel Fiber i110 CW shafts in my new irons. I put i125's in both my wedges. Aerotech seems to feel like graphite, but I do get excellent dispersion, height, and distance. I am very pleased with these shafts. I've also gone to leather grips. The feel is excellent, and I enjoy the 'throwback' to earlier times.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jenner' post='1985905' date='Oct 3 2009, 05:13 PM']Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade my irons but, being a 74 year old lefty, the opportunity to demo irons with different lightweight shafts varies between very limited to none existent ! Having long been convinced that the most important part of any iron is the shaft (and to cut a long story short), I bought a couple of cheap ex-demo LH 6 irons and over a couple of months I tried just about every generally available steel and graphite shaft i.e. True Temper; Nippon; UST; Grafalloy; Aldila and a couple more brands I can't recall.

When I upgraded my irons, I went from Ping i3+/CS 90 R Shafts to forged Mizuno MX 25/Nippon GH 850 Shafts and couldn't be more pleased. If it helps at all, my iron swing speed is around 70mph and my 150 yard iron is the 6 iron. My golf is purely social, my club handicap is 14.2 but as I'm now playing well inside that, I think my handicap is due to go a little further south.[/quote]

Good stuff Jenner!!

Nippon has many shafts for just about any player. But, their lightweight steel shafts are outstanding.

61 this year. Using S 300's, S 300 Lights with Sensicore, or Project X 5.5's or 6.0's. Depending on the heads, I use whatever shafts just feel right.

Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

58 and current handi is 4..shot 6 rounds within a stroke of par the last two months including two rounds of 71.. have been back and forth on this issue and really think[i] it matters a lot[/i]... I will be trading in DGsl's for nippon 950's or tour spec Exsar IS2's (103g/2.5 torque/mid launch)... and have played and recommend GAT 95's (if you can find a set), steelfiber 85's and some black and yellow pro spec ust shafts that PING used to like to put in pro sets... .. I played a lot of golf this season after nearly giving up the game two years ago because of a failed relationship with a coach who tried to change my swing as I played to a 2-3.. the stack and tilt gave me the sha=ks and the "I quit"s and so forth... anyway:

I have played DGsl's as long as they have been available and last year went from s300's to r 300's and that helped with the high cor iron heads (Burners). I have a very sore right hand and shoulder and need to lighten up and get some of the vibration out of my clubs.. was recently fitted for mx-300's and really tried to get some sense of the difference between the nippon 950's and Exsar IS2 graphite.. I ordered the nippons and am second guessing my choice... the former playing pro who fit me made the observation that it's too easy to re-rout the club mid swing with too light a shaft and the graphite will certainly take the hand and shoulder pain away... I play lamkin crossline black grips and have for years (part of the problem but not ready to give them up...) .. I know and play with a handful of nation class senior ams who have played in the US Senior Am and Open and they all play graphite at 95 to 105 grams except one knucklehead who plays PX 6.0's...but his first iron is a 7... Most of these characters are gaming 46-47" driver shafts and have equipment contracts of one sort or another. They keep the demons away with quick bets, spicy language and a devilish sense of humor about all things...So rambling on at this point but it seems we are on to something over here.. look forward to the next great idea....btw.. the rx 300 ball has helped, though I hit the prov black the other day and it felt "soft" to me again (it was my ball for years)... only problem is it's 10 yards shorter off the tee and I am not used to all that spin around the greens... Gotta be getting up and down... and predictable spin is one of the keys to around the greens success...

[quote name='buster' post='2046820' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:05 AM']58 and current handi is 4..shot 6 rounds within a stroke of par the last two months including two rounds of 71.. have been back and forth on this issue and really think[i] it matters a lot[/i]... I will be trading in DGsl's for nippon 950's or tour spec Exsar IS2's (103g/2.5 torque/mid launch)... and have played and recommend GAT 95's (if you can find a set), steelfiber 85's and some black and yellow pro spec ust shafts that PING used to like to put in pro sets... .. I played a lot of golf this season after nearly giving up the game two years ago because of a failed relationship with a coach who tried to change my swing as I played to a 2-3.. the stack and tilt gave me the sha=ks and the "I quit"s and so forth... anyway:

I have played DGsl's as long as they have been available and last year went from s300's to r 300's and that helped with the high cor iron heads (Burners). I have a very sore right hand and shoulder and need to lighten up and get some of the vibration out of my clubs.. was recently fitted for mx-300's and really tried to get some sense of the difference between the nippon 950's and Exsar IS2 graphite.. I ordered the nippons and am second guessing my choice... the former playing pro who fit me made the observation that it's too easy to re-rout the club mid swing with too light a shaft and the graphite will certainly take the hand and shoulder pain away... I play lamkin crossline black grips and have for years (part of the problem but not ready to give them up...) .. I know and play with a handful of nation class senior ams who have played in the US Senior Am and Open and they all play graphite at 95 to 105 grams except one knucklehead who plays PX 6.0's...but his first iron is a 7... Most of these characters are gaming 46-47" driver shafts and have equipment contracts of one sort or another. They keep the demons away with quick bets, spicy language and a devilish sense of humor about all things...So rambling on at this point but it seems we are on to something over here.. look forward to the next great idea....btw.. the rx 300 ball has helped, though I hit the prov black the other day and it felt "soft" to me again (it was my ball for years)... only problem is it's 10 yards shorter off the tee and I am not used to all that spin around the greens... Gotta be getting up and down... and predictable spin is one of the keys to around the greens success...[/quote]

I'm sorry, but I just have to say I love reading this stuff. Thanks pg.

[quote name='rebels68' post='2046829' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:42 AM'][quote name='buster' post='2046820' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:05 AM']58 and current handi is 4..shot 6 rounds within a stroke of par the last two months including two rounds of 71.. have been back and forth on this issue and really think[i] it matters a lot[/i]... I will be trading in DGsl's for nippon 950's or tour spec Exsar IS2's (103g/2.5 torque/mid launch)... and have played and recommend GAT 95's (if you can find a set), steelfiber 85's and some black and yellow pro spec ust shafts that PING used to like to put in pro sets... .. I played a lot of golf this season after nearly giving up the game two years ago because of a failed relationship with a coach who tried to change my swing as I played to a 2-3.. the stack and tilt gave me the sha=ks and the "I quit"s and so forth... anyway:

I have played DGsl's as long as they have been available and last year went from s300's to r 300's and that helped with the high cor iron heads (Burners). I have a very sore right hand and shoulder and need to lighten up and get some of the vibration out of my clubs.. was recently fitted for mx-300's and really tried to get some sense of the difference between the nippon 950's and Exsar IS2 graphite.. I ordered the nippons and am second guessing my choice... the former playing pro who fit me made the observation that it's too easy to re-rout the club mid swing with too light a shaft and the graphite will certainly take the hand and shoulder pain away... I play lamkin crossline black grips and have for years (part of the problem but not ready to give them up...) .. I know and play with a handful of nation class senior ams who have played in the US Senior Am and Open and they all play graphite at 95 to 105 grams except one knucklehead who plays PX 6.0's...but his first iron is a 7... Most of these characters are gaming 46-47" driver shafts and have equipment contracts of one sort or another. They keep the demons away with quick bets, spicy language and a devilish sense of humor about all things...So rambling on at this point but it seems we are on to something over here.. look forward to the next great idea....btw.. the rx 300 ball has helped, though I hit the prov black the other day and it felt "soft" to me again (it was my ball for years)... only problem is it's 10 yards shorter off the tee and I am not used to all that spin around the greens... Gotta be getting up and down... and predictable spin is one of the keys to around the greens success...[/quote]

[/quote]
thanks Bro.. I've missed not being a contributor..!

[quote name='buster' post='2048730' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:26 PM'][quote name='rebels68' post='2046829' date='Nov 5 2009, 12:42 AM'][quote name='buster' post='2046820' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:05 AM']58 and current handi is 4..shot 6 rounds within a stroke of par the last two months including two rounds of 71.. have been back and forth on this issue and really think[i] it matters a lot[/i]... I will be trading in DGsl's for nippon 950's or tour spec Exsar IS2's (103g/2.5 torque/mid launch)... and have played and recommend GAT 95's (if you can find a set), steelfiber 85's and some black and yellow pro spec ust shafts that PING used to like to put in pro sets... .. I played a lot of golf this season after nearly giving up the game two years ago because of a failed relationship with a coach who tried to change my swing as I played to a 2-3.. the stack and tilt gave me the sha=ks and the "I quit"s and so forth... anyway:

[/quote]
thanks Bro.. I've missed not being a contributor..!
[/quote]

You always have good stuff to say and your PM's are chock full of insider goodies too!!

Oh yeah, all the links you put up on twitter are excellent too. I don't tweet, but check you
out most days just looking for all the good info you share. Thank you!

I'm 63 and currently playing TM TP MB's S-300 at D-5. Being very strong at 6'3 and 227 lbs. is not the problem. I swing better when I use less effort. Changing from hitter to swinger.
The heads set up really good to my eye, but they require my adding more force than I want to apply. There is a pretty good bet that Nippon 950's are in my future.
Petter7 in person, and Buster via posts (both websites), have partially broken through my defenses. I am not ready to give up my heads, but a lighter and smoother shaft may work for me in
my irons, as well as they have for my driver and 20* hybrid.

• 2 weeks later...

I have come to the revelation that something has to change with my game and I would prefer to think that it is the shafts in my irons rather than the alternatives.

I currently have TT S300 HLs in my AP-1s. When I dial back my swing to maintain good balance and tempo, my distance goes down dramatically - as much as a club and a half in some cases. I am long since past the point where I care what the rest of my regular foursome thinks about me hitting a 9 iron 105 yds because I hit it dead straight. However, I'd like to think that there might be a "best of both worlds" solution out there, somewhere.

Is it possible that this particular shaft might be the issue? What would you guys suggest?

The ones in the know have been telling me for the past 5 years to go light. Light equals fast...at least that's what they told me.

I can do the light shaft (mid 50's to mid 60's) in my driver but much prefer something with some heft in my fairway woods. For irons? I've tried some lightweight shafts, very much dislike them, am playing either S-300s, S-200s, R-300 HEAVY weight graphite, Proj X 6.5s, and of those? I like them all, not really choosy.

Just ordered some new irons, and I've ordered the KBS Tours in Reg, and we'll see how that goes. My opinion? I believe every set of irons has the need for that particular shaft to complete the perfect mix.
I'm still looking for that perfect mix. :D

The Hunt Goes On! ;)

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

[quote name='Jenner' post='1985905' date='Oct 3 2009, 04:13 PM']Earlier this year I wanted to upgrade my irons but, being a 74 year old lefty, the opportunity to demo irons with different lightweight shafts varies between very limited to none existent ! Having long been convinced that the most important part of any iron is the shaft (and to cut a long story short), I bought a couple of cheap ex-demo LH 6 irons and over a couple of months I tried just about every generally available steel and graphite shaft i.e. True Temper; Nippon; UST; Grafalloy; Aldila and a couple more brands I can't recall.

+1. I'll be 60 in December and installed the 850GHs "R" flex, +1" in my Adams A-4s (5-GW). I also have elbow problems in both arms, multiple shoulder surgeries and arthritis in both thumbs. I have absolutely NO PROBLEM with the 850s. They play great with none of the aches and pains in the old body. And iron swing speed; 68-72MPH...

• 2 weeks later...

I can identify with your problem of tired. I have congestive heart failure (chf), and it results in me tiring easily. So for me getting into shape is not the question as much as increasing "range of motion" with my swing. The way I increase range of motion is Yoga, and it really works. It takes less excursion to make a full swing, and a full relaxed swing not only makes the ball go longer, but straighter. A good combination. So rather than:

"Do I get in better shape, go with steel and do other things to accomodate the tennis elbow, or should I go with something for the long haul like graphite to reduce pains and tiring?"

Try Yoga, there is a lady, Katherine Roberts, that has a series of tapes "Yoga for Golfers". I highly recommend it, especially Seniors.

My driver distance had dropped to roughly 220, and now I am back to 250/270 range, using less effort.

I hope you give it a try, and it works for you. By the way I use graphite shafts (Gat 95) stiff, for my irons.,

• 3 weeks later...

i am 64 and entering my 52nd year of playing golf having started in 1958...after a 5-stent angioplasty in nov 2007 and quadruple bypass surgery may of 2009 i feel i am in relatively good health and play 1-2X a week...

i had elbow problems in 2007 and changed to graphite shafts in my irons..my FTs now feel a bit light so i decided to reshaft my old S2H2 heads with NS pro-GH 850s and am hitting them better than my FTs..

will just keep my FTs as a back-up set but will most probably be using my S2H2s more from now on..

i got as low to a 4 hdcp but am now about a 12 and play mostly for exercise and social reasons but still enjoy the game tremendously...i am also an archer(target and field w/ some smallgame hunting) and the 2 sports keep me busy and really complement each other as the disciplines required are quite similar..

although i have never measured my swing speed,i can still carry 230+ yards with my driver and my regular 7-iron distance is 140 yards...have also recently changed to the bridgestone B-330RX ball and like it a lot...

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Are you currently in Subic Bay? Been there several times when our aircraft carrier pulled in during the 60's.

I to have felt the impact of aging, and found the best thing to reverse the effects of aging is Yoga, and now I have the Explanar. The Explanar is like having your own teaching pro by your side teaching you the elements of a proper golf swing.

Example I had developed a stiff wrist, and to correct it I had started rolling my forearms. The effect was on my follow through I was off balance, and it would pull me forward. My distance went from an average drive of 266 to 220, and even 220 took a lot of effort. Now, with the help of Yoga, and a proper wrist hinge (through using the Explanar) my drives are back to 260/ 280 range (recent improvement).. with a couple of 300. My handicap, like yours, had gone up to a 14 (you a 12), but I enjoyed the game to much to quit. Out of the last 5 tournments 4 I achieved closest to the pin, and 1 longest drive.

Seniors, and I am one, often blame the changes to their golf game on aging, and they are right.. however they can correct a lot of it by changing their golf swing, and avoid things like the stiff wrist (comes with aging). So if you see a buddy take a swing at his drive and step forward (off balance) slap him on the back of the head, and tell him to develop a proper wrist hinge. Plenty of ways to correct the wrist action.

Now lets' tee it up.. How your weather there?

Hi SG!...yes i am in subic bay and the weather is fantastic for golf--just played 18 holes yesterday and another 18 today....mid 70s to mid 80s now for the next few months---i hope!!

i like the quote you have at the bottom....wish i could do that all the time but it's getting to be the other way around lately....

subic bay is a great destination nowadays...give me a holler if ever you're back in this part of the world anytime soon!!...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges