2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

85-90mph ss/mid-high hdcp: longest driver to test out?

Stuy Pegleg

So any suggestions on the longest driver to check out for a fitting session? I realize that there are other variables out there, e.g., launch angle, which side of the bed I got up, etc., but I have a fitting session tomorrow and want to see if there is a latest greatest driver I should check out.

I game a fitted Taylor Made Superquad and the fact that Golf Digest didn't give it the max number of stars for distance (or was it performace) made me check out an off-the rack Cobra L5V 10.5 and a 09 TM Burner 9.5. Right after I got the Cobra, Golf Digest came out and I got stuck with a driver with less than max stars for perf/distance. There is some discussion here about how some people felt that they were losing distance with the Superquad, so I give GD some credence. The deafening noise of the L5V makes me hesitant to practice a lot with that driver, especially after that research somebody did of a pro golfer in the UK who lost some hearing in his right ear after repeated practice sessions. Besides the club head of the L5V feels heavy and I felt that I wasn't getting the swing speed I could get with the Superquad.

09 TM Burner gets the most amount of GD stars, but as a hand-me-down I got stuck with a 9.5 with regular shaft, which feels too boardy and makes it difficult to lag, which I have an easier time doing with the Superquad that I got fitted for with an Accra shaft. I played with a buddy who has 09 TM Burner, regular shaft with a 10.5 who consistently outdrives my Superquad by 20 yards...but my short game is better so I feel like one of those old men who don't drive long but has a short game like no one's business.

Any suggestions on a driver to check out and even shaft combinations would be appreciated.

Oh yes, I am taking lessons and starting to get the hang of an inside-outside swing path and lagging. My plan was to get a new driver once I master lagging, but it seems stupid to try to do it with a shaft (TM Burner regular) that doesn't fit me. I feel as if I am trying to overcompensate for the overly stiff shaft which is making it difficult to lag.

Much thanks.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the new G15 OR the G10 (the G15 is more forgiving). The shaft is longer, which helps create lag. Some people don't like the longer shaft but I do. All I am doing is swinging and the reg flex and high torque is doing the rest. We have a similar SS, so just stay in tempo and swing within yourself. So I need all the distance I can get and the Ping does that. I've own(ed) both and the G10 was one of the best drivers I've ever used.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Well if you're spinning the ball too much the Bridgestone J33R is a very low spin head along w Adams 9015(slightly open faced) or 9032, or Cleveland XLS. For me the TM R9 460 9.5 was the best combo of forgiveness and distance w a Motore F1 55g regular.

Unless your completely misfit spend the money on lessons and practice time.

Well when I was at golf smith after a forum outing (dont have one near me..so I immediately went to the one in Indy after the round) I tried out all the setups that I wanted to try, bad side was that most of the setups they had for demo were in R flex and my swing speed was around 105 at the time (was a bit tired from the beating on the course but was loose enough to swing well). I decided to hit the R flexes but lay off the speed and try to get an avg speed of 90mph to see how the numbers stacked up.

For me, when comparing the 9015D to the other clubs hit in R flex (FT-9/ft-5/tour burner/Launcher/one of the newer cobra's) My best overall numbers in terms of ball speed and smash factor was with the 9015D with the stock shaft, now all of the other clubs were great, but I was seeing a little higher numbers from the adams. I also hit the others in S flex and loved them all but when I had a chance to trade for my adams I knew it was going to be a rocket.

For some reason the stock R flex just worked for me that day, now I have the rombax in it and it is a monster.

+1 for 9015D

#1 for the 9015D with the stock shaft in REG.

My SS=94, so we're close. Great feel, sound, distance, accuracy.

(Have not hit the G10, but hear great things about it, so when you go in for a fitting, check them both out and see what's right for you.

Ping G15Miyazaki Kusala - 12°

Callaway Epic Speed – Fuji Ventus VeloCore - 18°

Ping G430 Max FW – Alta CB 65 Black - 21°

Ping G430 H – Alta CB 70 Black - 26°

Ping G425 – Alta CB 72 Slate 7-PW

Vokey SM9 – 50 / 56 / 58

Odyssey White Hot OG #5 - 34”

I was at my local golf store megastore last night with my buddy who swings around the same speed as you. We found for him the Adams Speedline with the Axis Blue to produce the best all round numbers 10.5. I would think that if you struggle with too much spin that the 9032LS speedline would be your ticket.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

Ive been in the same boat (85-90 mps s/s) for awhile. You won't find lightning in a bottle. All the drivers have the same COR so its a matter mostly of the shaft for distance. I hit a Ping G2 with an NV 65 reg for 4 years and loved it. Very straight, not particularly long though. I've moved on to a Cobra S9-1 which has a 55 gram Aldila DVS shaft. Picked up 5-10 yards due to increased s/s of about 3 mph with no sacrifice in accuracy. Very solid stick.

Thanks for all your comments. Keep 'em coming!

So far, it seems that the following are most recommended (I've added parenthetical information indicating number of stars Golf Digest gave in "performance" category):

(4.5) Adams Speedline 9015D
(untested (but 4.5 for G10)) Ping G15 [over G10 b/c Golf Magazine says that G15 is longer [url="http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1919850,00.html"]http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article...1919850,00.html[/url]]

I think I'll see if I can try:

(5.0/category winer) TM Burner in 10.5 with a different shaft.
and anything else the fitter recommends.

Please, no comments on merits of the Golf Digest stars....it's just for informational purposes.

[quote name='amcquay' post='1931642' date='Sep 3 2009, 01:24 PM']Just a quick note that getting the right loft can do wonders. Don't just try out different clubs and shafts, but make sure you try various lofts even in the same head. You just never know what will produce those magical numbers.[/quote]

+1 on the loft variances. I used to be all about 7.5 and 8.5* and 9.5* drivers, but after trying several 10.5* drivers, I found them to be a lot easier to hit and get maximum carry distance. The shafts will play a pretty big factor but definitely try different lots of the same club...I will guarantee that you will see some numbers from a 10.5* driver that you will like.

Testing: Sim2 8*, Rogue ST TD 9* 

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Callaway Paradym 4-AW Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 56 Denim Copper TI S400

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

I think the people that are saying the longer shaft will help are steering you in the wrong direction. A mid to high handicap, you might be better served with a little shorter shaft actually. As a higher handicap, the longest driver will be the one that you can come closest to the sweet spot the most consistently. I wouldn't suggest an open clubface to almost ANY high handicapper, and unfortunately that's what the AF 90215d from Adams has. I might try a higher lofted Cobra or Callaway Diablo type driver....huge hitting area, huge sweetspot, and play it at 45" or less.

Just my $.02

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote name='dgrelecki' post='1931688' date='Sep 3 2009, 01:46 PM']I think the people that are saying the longer shaft will help are steering you in the wrong direction. A mid to high handicap, you might be better served with a little shorter shaft actually. As a higher handicap, the longest driver will be the one that you can come closest to the sweet spot the most consistently. I wouldn't suggest an open clubface to almost ANY high handicapper, and unfortunately that's what the AF 90215d from Adams has. I might try a higher lofted Cobra or Callaway Diablo type driver....huge hitting area, huge sweetspot, and play it at 45" or less.

Just my $.02[/quote]

this is 1000000% correct. A high handicapper is a high handicapper (for the most part) because of swing inconsistencies. having a 46+ driver shaft is just going to accentuate any and all problems because of how much harder it is to control. Im also assuming that your miss is probably a slice, as you say you are learning to change your swingpath to inside-out. therefore having an open club face is going to make your fade a slice and a slice well....you could be on the 3rd fairway after your first tee shot. I would say to get something with a neutral/draw bias face with a high amount of forgiveness so that you can control your club and hit it off the sweet spot much more often. callaway FT-IQ is a straight bomber with a huge amount of forgiveness, as well as the new cobra offerings. you could also go with something from TM with FCT so that you can tinker with the weights till you get the perfect specs for your swing.

Yes, you should look at AT LEAST a 10.5 degree driver. Optimal launch with a ball speed from a 90mph swing is probably arond 17 or 18*. Now, you won't be able to achieve that with optimal spin, but typically you'll want MORE spin. That's right, MORE spin to keep the ball in the air longer. The adams 9032 might be a good fit, as the aerodynamics could give you a few mph on your swing speed. however if you're going to get a "stock" driver, I really would consider special order from an OEM with a shorter length, like 45" or 44.5". Call Matt at Discountdansgolf and he'll get you set up if you special order. GREAT customer service, second to none.

Ping G400 - Accra 162i
Tour Edge Exotics xcg7 4 wood
Ping Crossover 3i
PXG 0211 - 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 - 48,54,60
Toulon Garage - Austin

[quote]Yes, you should look at AT LEAST a 10.5 degree driver. Optimal launch with a ball speed from a 90mph swing is probably arond 17 or 18*. Now, you won't be able to achieve that with optimal spin, but typically you'll want MORE spin. That's right, MORE spin to keep the ball in the air longer. The adams 9032 might be a good fit, as the aerodynamics could give you a few mph on your swing speed. however if you're going to get a "stock" driver, I really would consider special order from an OEM with a shorter length, like 45" or 44.5". Call Matt at Discountdansgolf and he'll get you set up if you special order. GREAT customer service, second to none[/quote]

+1. at least 10.5 loft. get it measured if you can. What is your miss tendency? seems like over the top and occasional slice?

[quote]I played with a buddy who has 09 TM Burner, regular shaft with a 10.5 who consistently outdrives my Superquad by 20 yards[/quote]

the 09 TM burner is a good head. Did you get to try his driver or are you just comparing your drive with his? if the latter, then its not a good test. Though i think the 2007 Burner is a great (better) club and comes with a draw version too.

Dont worry too much about the GD stars. 4.5 vs 5 stars is not really much difference since their scoring is subjective. alot of drivers from the past 1-2 years are really good if you match their type of performance to your swing (higher spin head/shaft or lower spin). In general mid handicappers need a medium amount of backspin, to err on having more spin is better. If you already have too much spin in your drives, its most likely a swing issue, getting lower loft, lower spin heads/shaft is the "wrong" solution.

consider a high MOI driver (square), < 45 inch total length, mid/high spin head, mid to low kick (softer tip) shaft of suitable weight + a look at address that gives you confidence.

The typical miss would be to i) low pull shot, because I think that my hands are too fast and out sync with my body or ii) a moderate slice or fade that lands in the rough or just at the base of trees at a tree line. Rarely do I slice enough for the ball to really go deep into a tree line or hit balls onto an adjacent fairway (<-$$$ of lessons gotta mean for something!).

Last weekend, I hit my best score of 93 and hit fairways 7-9 times, 2 low pulls, 3 fades/slices, and 1 worm burner, I think, on par 4/5. I just sucked on the par 3s.

So I am thinking that perhaps a slightly longer shaft isn't so bad, as long as I have the proper shaft.

My buddy, whose Burner I didn't try, was spraying his drives all over the place.

[quote name='avrag' post='1933002' date='Sep 4 2009, 10:49 AM']Do not decide until you have tried the Mizuno MX-700 in 10.5° with stock Exsar shaft in R-flex. It might be an experience like no other.[/quote]
Exactly - I was shocked how solid and long this driver was for me, having 2 rounds out with it. Very good stock shaft and 1* closed face on the 10.5 - it sits nearly square to me though!

For me - my SS is around 89-92 and a having pretty consistent swing - this Mizuno MX-700 outperforms my FT-5 10.5, my beloved 10.5 Burner 07 stock stiff, my experiment Burner 09 TP w. Fuji SIX (open faced) and both R9 models...
I am simply a lot more often able to hit the ball with the sweetspot with this Mizuno resulting in high and longer carrying drives.

I don't think an open/square faced driver will work in general...
A low pull and a slice is closely related swingwise - an 'over the top' move is one of the faults causing these ball-flights (without having seen Your swing of course)
Good luck!

cheers,
Soeren

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

I have the same swing speed and am a mid HI. I recommend the Geek Golf Fail Safe Three 12º. [url="http://www.geekgolf.net/index.html"]http://www.geekgolf.net/index.html[/url]

You can contact steve directly (president and ceo) and he will do a very thorough fitting over the phone). the price is reasonable, the club is forgiving, and the ball goes far.

'07 TM Burner TP, best driver I've ever had including all the new stuff. Had the 2 best driving round in my life (30 years of golf) the past 2 rounds. Absolutely striped every drive about 230-240 and even some out to 275 (downhill or down wind). Now if I could only hit my irons as well and putt a little better I'd be shooting some career rounds.

Got fitted today.

Tested the following, all in 10.5:
*G15 fresh out of the box with TPC(?) stock
*Adams Speedline 9015D and 9015D Draw, both regular
*G10 Proforce V2 65 regular
*Cobra LV5
compared with my Taylor Made 10.5 Superquad with Accra Classic Tour T50

It was the same fitter that fit the Taylor Made 10.5 with the Accra for me a couple of years ago.

Even with a slightly open face, I found that I could hit 9015D without too much difficulty, just have to make sure that I have an inside-outside swing path, otherwise, it fades a bit, but not a slice. Reminding myself, thanks to Soeren and bovi, not to go over the top, I was hitting pretty well. The misses today were fades (definitely not slices) or slight pulls (not low pull, though) or hitting thin.

G10 with Proforce was ok, but felt stiff. G15 stock shaft felt better than the Proforce. After seeing me hit the Adams and the Pings, he suggested trying another 50g shaft so he had me hit the Cobra L5V (stock 50g shaft) which I already have and don't like much.

Finally, he had me try out Taylor Made R9 460 TP 10.5 Regular Matrix Ozik Xcon5(I think) 55grams from the fitting cart.

The conclusion........drum roll please.......

TM R6 460 TP 10.5 with the Matrix Ozik.

I had better launch angles with the R6 460 10.5, around 14-18 (excluding outliers), than other clubs.

He had me try the R9 460 in 9.5 because he thought that I was consistent enough with my drives. 9.5 was ok, but the angles were, according to the fitter, around 12-16 and acceptable, especially if I wanted more roll than I could get with the 10.5. But right now, my swing is very dialed in, so opted for the easier 10.5. Also, he said that I should go for 46 inches (I had mentioned at the beginning that I was trying to like the Burner because of its length), because I was consistent enough.

So I'll be having a 46 inch shaft coming in soon!

Thanks much for your help, all!
PS: I have to double check with my own swing meter, but the Vortex LM was showing speeds from mid 70s to low 80s! Thought I would be in high 80s. Shocking. :shok:

[quote name='Gehly' post='1934840' date='Sep 5 2009, 06:20 AM']best advice: don't look at ratings from magazines
who cares what got 4 1/2 stars or 5 stars?
it's all subjective anyway (i.e. marketing hype) and in the end (like you found out) it's about what clubs fit you the best.[/quote]

I totally agree. Finding out what fits you best is the key. I have a swing speed similar to the OP and I totally bomb the L5V. My friend plays the G10 and was outdriving me around 20 yds every time. Since I got the L5V I am even with him or 10 yds past him now. I really love the L4V but I am getting alot more roll out with the L5V.