2023 Grant Thornton WITB Photos ×

Most Innovative Golf Company?

NikeTaylormade891

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All three are very innovative.

TM came out with the moveable weight. Although in my opinion it has little real world affect on the ball, still a great theoretical tecnology.

Callaway has the composite market on lockdown. They are the brand you think of when someone mentions "composite clubs"

Nike Golf has been thinking outside the box since inception. How many other company's have produced a driver as good as the Ignite or SQ in their 2nd or 3rd generation? The first driver was not popular but was far better than any steel Burner I've ever played.

- i like nike for the different design ideas both innovative and functional. i think the forged blades and wedges are very traditional; the pro combo and ignite is a cross of traditional and innovative; and the sasquatch and slingshots were ground breaking. also a great line of balls.

- taylormade is always tinkering, which is both good and bad. the rac technology is great, yet still leaves a traditional look (at least from adress); the moveable weight is good, although its really just a cosmetically pleasing lead tape system, and i think they really helped make hybrids as popular as they are today.

- callaway i think has really pushed driver design with different materials and is very inovative with the forged/cast irons

- ping i think is a leader in cast irons and club fitting.

- adams does a lot of innovative designs and use of technology, but i guess because they are so affordable no one uses them as much

i'm not saying other companies aren't good, i just think these companies lead in innovation.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

As far as new material science and technology, and some new engineering, I would have to throw out a vote to Cleveland.

The CMM was revolutionary in the CG10s and the irons, and the HiBore stands to take full advantage of the 460 CC loophole, which was very very innovative.

Where you didn't say club company I'd have to say Titleist or Fujikura. The ProV1 changed the game of golf as much as any club save Ping's early offerings and the early metal woods(Pittsburgh Persimmon and Big Bertha). Fujikura can match a shaft to perfectly fit just about any golfer. I'd have to say Titleist is number one with the Pro V. I'd say most pros would give up the R7 before the Pro V or other ball that was brought out to compete with it.

Titleist is a marketing company more then a golf company...most of their products are better marketed versions of other peoples products....ie the 3 peice tour ball (pro v1) was first introduced by spallding...I cant really see nike either...a company which again is marketing company more the a golf company...dont manufacture their balls...tigers first nike and titliest irons were basic mizuno knock offs...nike is getting there with the comobs which were great and what they are doing now with the slingshot and sasquatch but they dont compare to the following...

Ping...with the anser and the original and eye2 irons...

Callaway with the Big Bertha and warbird metal woods...changed driver and started the bigger is better crazy. Callaway was the first to offer those big bulky game improvement irons which have remain popular.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/Miyazaki Kena Back 6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD Tour AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 MKII 5-AW w/Steelfiber i100
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I would rate em innovative wise this way:

#1 TaylorMade--The R7 was one of the most innovative designs in driver history as well as Taylormade making the first steel woods.

#2 Nike-- The Slingshots were one of the most innovative irons ever and took 5 years to put together. The Ingite and SQ driver are both great drivers for 2nd and 3rd generations. Plus we have all read the Comsumer reports and the two top rated balls were the Nike One and the $14 a dozen Nike Super Softs. Plus, yep, I am a Nike ho.

#3 Callaway--Composite drivers and the Big Bertha and Fusion irons were very innovative when they first came out.

I would but Titleist near the bottom. They make good stuff and try to market to the "Better Players", however, they seem to just come out with a simular version of there previous years clubs every year. I just can't help but view Titleist as kinda the "snobby, Im better then you" brand for some reason. They are kind of the "Gucci" of golf clubs in my opinion. Your paying alot for the name in my opinion and not the technology. Thats my 2 cents.

The issue that I have with the movable weight technology that tm is pushing like crack cocaine is that they are not the inventor, there were companies doing it before them: alien comes to mind...

tm may have refined the process and put it out there on a large scale...but they were certainly not the first company to utilize moveable weights in drivers, fairways and hybrids/driving irons...

This is not to downplay the technology, or whether tm has done a credible job with pushing it to the masses...

IMHO a lot of the responses here don't look very far back in time!

1) Callaway - They've been followers not leaders for the past 2-3 years, but the biggest change in the last 10 years was the big titanium driver, and Callaway started this with the original Big Bertha (which would be the "Little Bertha" by today's standards). Other companies were first with metal heads but Callaway put big titanium heads on the market

2) Whoever made the first hybrid - The long irons are becoming dinosaurs, both for pros and amateurs alike. TaylorMade has been the most visible commercially with the Rescue Mid, it seems like Sonartec perfected the concept (at least enough that players would walk away from their sponsors bag money to play the club that worked. Who made the first one? Was it Adams?

3) Titleist - I certainly agree that it's questionable who to attribute the modern 3-piece solid ball to, and that the first one wasn't the ProV1, but face it - the ProV1 is the line in the sand; everything before it was different and everything after was like it. That wasn't just marketing then, although it may be turning into that now.

I think this hits the areas of the game that have had the most impact over the past 10-15 years and in each case, you can point to a significant, innovative product that made that happen. Honorable mention should probably go to Odyssey for the 2-ball putter (yes, I know they didn't come up with the idea) and many companies for MOI putters. For innovation right now, I think that Cleveland has really been stirring things up with HiBore and CMM. Nike is also notable with SQ and the Slingshots. I don't doubt that 5 years from now, my driver will look more like a SQ or HiBore than what I have now.

Taylor Made has always been innovative.

But, Cleveland is something all but one of you have looked over. The CMM in the wedges and irons, the Halo, the Hi-Bore, and even if we want to go back a little further, the Launcher Woods were huge, a big thing back in 2002-03. So far, the Hi Bore isn't to my liking, but it's still a very different way to make a driver with such a design, rather than the cookie cutter look.

To me, companies like Callaway, Ping, Nike, and yes, even Titleist (for the exception of the Pro-V1 way back) aren't really showing me anything new or different. The only attempt was by Nike with the SQ, and Callaway with the Fusion (which was a flop anyway). Other than that, they put out irons made of the same materials year after year, and woods that don't show me anything new. Sure, they all have great stuff, but not great or spectacular innovation.

Taylor Made has always been innovative.

But, Cleveland is something all but one of you have looked over. The CMM in the wedges and irons, the Halo, the Hi-Bore, and even if we want to go back a little further, the Launcher Woods were huge, a big thing back in 2002-03. So far, the Hi Bore isn't to my liking, but it's still a very different way to make a driver with such a design, rather than the cookie cutter look.

To me, companies like Callaway, Ping, Nike, and yes, even Titleist (for the exception of the Pro-V1 way back) aren't really showing me anything new or different. The only attempt was by Nike with the SQ, and Callaway with the Fusion (which was a flop anyway). Other than that, they put out irons made of the same materials year after year, and woods that don't show me anything new. Sure, they all have great stuff, but not great or spectacular innovation.

Thank you!!! Cleveland Love!! I play the 588's, lol, but they still have some of the most innovative clubs I have seen - always fun to see their new products.

The other thing I believe will change the golf industry is Callaway's Optifit system. This was a revolutionary idea in clubfitting, and I believe will have great implications, bring more advanced clubfitting and launch monitor technology to more people.

So I will also add a vote for Callaway - but for a different reason.

Callaway

• Original big-headed driver

• No hosel on driver (bore-thru)

• Hollow metal head

• short iron hosel

• weight-chip was in the original steelhead

• Hawkeye had the tungsten screw for LCG and draw bias

• Composite irons (titanium/tungsten)

• successful composite driver

• Variable Face Thickness

• Hex design on balls

On the downside, I think they were the first to sell a driver for over $500....

WELL said.

My vote goes to Callaway due to the big bertha driver and irons which has helped average joes enjoy the game more. Secondly the 2 ball putter was unlike anything ever seen before and has inspires many other clubs to follow in its footsteps.

I'm going to play homer here and point out some of the things MacGregor has come up with in the past.

Old:

Persimmon heads

Face inserts

Steel shafts

Matching sets

Cord grips

New:

Forged hosel/face with Hollow Body to achieve optimal weight distribution in a truly forged club

Quad flex shaft (MacGregor Japan/Fujikura)

Unthinkable MOI in mallet putters (Bobby Grace)