The old Nike 275cc driver

jarrefit

What are your thoughts?
I've tried a lot of the new 460cc drivers and have never been able to control them well. I average about 285 of the tee according to the golf galaxy launch monitors. I played a Nike 275cc and A Titleist 975J 312cc and only changed from the Titleist because I cracked the head. Just wanted to get your opinions of the Nike in particular and maybe the some advice on what driver will give me some consistent accuracy of the tee. I prefer a right-to-left shot shape, but the big headed drivers are difficult for me to turn over. Thanks for your help!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried a lot of the new 460cc drivers and have never been able to control them well. I average about 285 of the tee according to the golf galaxy launch monitors. I played a Nike 275cc and A Titleist 975J 312cc and only changed from the Titleist because I cracked the head. Just wanted to get your opinions of the Nike in particular and maybe the some advice on what driver will give me some consistent accuracy of the tee. I prefer a right-to-left shot shape, but the big headed drivers are difficult for me to turn over. Thanks for your help!

When caught on the sweet spot, the 275 along with the Nike 350 were just as long as some of the more favored drivers out there. The real problem for those drivers were the shafts. The stock shafts were more tip-stiff than labeled and that caused many of the complaints. Combine that with a low-spin head and it was a recipe begging for trouble...

If you re-shaft with a shaft that is slightly tip-soft (purple ice, NVS, tour platform, YS6, etc) then you get a very good driver for a fraction of the cost.

Mind you, the sweet spot is much smaller than in comparison to today's behemoths. If you don't want a 460cc head, then you can try the Nike 350, Ignite 410, 983E or K, Cobra Comp Tour or SZ, Tourstage Z375 or Z350, tm r510, R540 or R510df, Cleveland Launcher 400 or 330, Wilson Pd5, Callaway BB2 415 and 380, Mizuno MP001 and Blue Rage, etc...and you can a pretty decent driver that still utilizes the .83 cor, and with the right shaft, you will be just as long as anything else. You are giving up forgiveness in terms of the bigger sweetspots on the larger heads, but that is primarily all that you are giving up...

When caught on the sweet spot, the 275 along with the Nike 350 were just as long as some of the more favored drivers out there. The real problem for those drivers were the shafts. The stock shafts were more tip-stiff than labeled and that caused many of the complaints. Combine that with a low-spin head and it was a recipe begging for trouble...

If you re-shaft with a shaft that is slightly tip-soft (purple ice, NVS, tour platform, YS6, etc) then you get a very good driver for a fraction of the cost.

Mind you, the sweet spot is much smaller than in comparison to today's behemoths. If you don't want a 460cc head, then you can try the Nike 350, Ignite 410, 983E or K, Cobra Comp Tour or SZ, Tourstage Z375 or Z350, tm r510, R540 or R510df, Cleveland Launcher 400 or 330, Wilson Pd5, Callaway BB2 415 and 380, Mizuno MP001 and Blue Rage, etc...and you can a pretty decent driver that still utilizes the .83 cor, and with the right shaft, you will be just as long as anything else. You are giving up forgiveness in terms of the bigger sweetspots on the larger heads, but that is primarily all that you are giving up...

i've got to agree with sigmamason here. the 275 and 350 were good as long as you caught it on the sweet spot. i played the nike 350 for 1-1/2 years and it was solid. yes, the nike stock shaft was a bit on the weak side, especially with a quick tempo. i ended up getting one with a fujikura vista pro which was nice, but too high trajectory and too much spin, so i opted to go with a graffalloy prolite 35 and it was a sweet stick. obviously not the longest driver around, but pretty easy to hit.

as for recomendations, i also agree with the taylormade 510 and 540, nike ignite 410 (one of my favorites and for a 410 driver doesn't look that large), and titliest 983

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

In an effort to help him out, please constrain your posts to how the club "plays".

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I apologize for my rude comments. I really jumped the gun. I was under the impression gxgolfer was just another person that reported me or something of that sort. Anyway, this is a great site and I really enjoy reading the posts and looking at the pictures, so I certainly apologize to gxgolfer and anyone else I might have offended. :golfer:

When I played the Nike 275 back in high school and junior college I was hitting it as long as my Callaway BB 454 but dead straight. I never caved the face on it, but I did however crack my 975J which was also a great club. I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the old Nikes, but I think I may go back to it because since I switched to the 460cc drivers I've lost accuracy. I'm lucky to hit 30% of the fairways with the Callaway. With the Nike I was consistently hitting at least 9-10 of 14. I don't understand why so many people dislike the original Nike Forged drivers. Reasons?

The 275 has a very small sweet spot and it seemed that you needed a high swing speed to make it go. The 975 J-VS seemed like a better driver at the time. If you can find a Tourstage RX-1 Type 315 or a Royal Collection CV Pro (305cc), they were much more forgiving drivers and they were much hotter for my slower swing speed. The 275 with a 9.5* loft was also harder to get in the air compared to others for me as well.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

I completely agree. I don't know why Tiger put that club in his bag, that thing was a POS.

Tiger played a 300cc version that was released retail in Asia the Fuji Speeder 661 was the stock shaft. I played one of those for like 3 weeks. These were conseqently dumped in the US. I think rockbottomgolf? But not with the 661, just the plain Nike-Fuji which was the VP70.

• 9 months later...

I too struggle with the 460cc drivers. Tried the 905r, Mp-001 MX-500 R5 BB 454 etc and NONE compared to my Mizuno Blue Rage with Fuji Vista Pro 70 SST Pured. My friends cannot believe the consistency of this thing. SOLID FEEL and SOUND. I feel bad at times because I know that it is 350cc & the technology has greatly improved but the proof is in the fairway. I doubt I will ever find a club I can hit better!!