2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Anyone try sneaking onto Cypress Point?

harpua728

Or how about this. When you look at this picture, you will be taking in all the beauty of Amen Corner, but once you look a little closer you will see another golf hole that runs behind the green of 12 and tee of 13. How many members at "the other" course do you think have tried to jump the fence to hit a ball of 13. I'm sure it's a very high and private fence, but to know you are so close to such hallowed ground, yet so far :(

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

ANGC is only open for about half a year. If it were me personally, I'd pick up a twilight tee time at Augusta Country Club and around 5:30-6:00 I'd menander onto that hole that runs along green of 12 and the Masters tee box of 13. Is there a fence back there between the two or just trees?

Granted that's all hypothetical.. I would "never do that"

I'm not going to cough to having done it, but St Andrews is a course where you could very easily pay a green fee on one of the other courses and 'accidentally' find yourself on the Old Course. I forget which course is immediately adjacent to the Old Course (the Jubilee?) but I can remember that there were numerous occasions where tees and greens from the two came into close proximity and you could make a good case that you'd unwittingly teed off on the wrong 'un if you were caught out.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

"There's actually a 4ft tall chain link fence that runs though some azealas bushes....thats it... "

Hrm.. And how far does said fence go? Cause it looks like one could possibly finish putting on the green on that hole with said fence and be able to take a detour through the woods and pop out with a sub-100 yd approach to 11.

All hypothetical still at this point right? ;)

[quote name='Mward2002' post='2017095' date='Oct 20 2009, 05:02 PM']"There's actually a 4ft tall chain link fence that runs though some azealas bushes....thats it... "

Hrm.. And how far does said fence go? Cause it looks like one could possibly finish putting on the green on that hole with said fence and be able to take a detour through the woods and pop out with a sub-100 yd approach to 11.

All hypothetical still at this point right? ;)[/quote]
Of course I don''t see any white stakes along those trees to the right of the AGCC tee box. So in the event of a shank, you'd have to play your ball where it lies :)

of course some rules offiical will come along and point out to us that the chain length fence indicates OB. I prefer to think of it as an immovable obstruction!!

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 4 weeks later...

I wish you would shoot someone that snuck onto a golf course, you'd shortly be sharing a prison cell with Bubba! I think that all members here a adult and professional enough not to do something that silly! ...What yout tell your regulat foursome taht you snuck onto Cypress for a hole or two, you'd look very stupid![quote name='troonnorth' post='2017019' date='Oct 20 2009, 03:20 PM']No need to "sneak" on when you have the connections. Great track to say the least. I'd shoot you if I caught you sneaking onto the course.[/quote]

• 2 months later...

[quote name='rdavison' date='18 November 2009 - 06:25 PM' timestamp='1258586735' post='2072218']
I'm playing at Cypress on 12/8; can't wait! I've been waiting to play there for several years and the timing was finally perfect. I'll make sure to do a review afterwards.
[/quote]

Still waiting on your review!!!

I have successfully sneaked onto TPC Sawgrass too many times to count during my youth as a certified jackass. In June of 1992 me and 2 frineds got onto Augusta National in the middle of the night. Just like someone posted before, we came through Augusta Country Club, and wound up behind 12 or 13 I dont remember. There were no flags or holes, and the greens were so shaggy it seemed like they hadnt been cut in a week. We took a towel and laid it on the green at 12 and hit to it for at least 30-45 mins. Rae's Creek was empty, but there were tons of balls in it.

I now work as a golf course superintendent and have to deal with midnight idiots such as myself nearly every weekend. Karma....aint it a b****?

Sorry guys; since I got back from Cypress it's been busy and I was just at Bandon for the last 5 days! Anyhow, Cypress...

We got out to the course around 7am but there was a heavy frost, giving us about a 2hr wait time, plenty of time to check out the shop. The shop is very small and the shirts are stacked up by size; the bottom shelf is small, above that medium and so forth. They are mostly still in their wrappers and nothing in the shop has a price on it. It's a guessing game until you bring it up to the counter. The items are actually very cheap, a hat was $20 or so.

There is no driving range to speak of, so we couldn't hit any balls, but we were able to putt on the putting green and wander around the locker room. Lots of great old pictures on the walls of Crosby etc.

When we finally got to tee off the weather was perfect, sunny and clear. The course is amazing, better than anyone can imagine. The greens were very quick; on the first green the whole foursome was pin-high in two and the scores went 4 (me), 5, 6, 6. Needless to say, you need to make sure you are in the right location.

What I was amazed about was the undulation of the golf course; it is much hillier than I anticipated. The 7th, 8th and 9th holes are on the side of a hill, all great holes. The 9th might be one of the greatest short par-4's in golf. My caddy tried to talk me into hitting driver, which would have been no issue to get to, but the risk outweighs the reward. Instead I hit 7 iron off the tee and 9 iron to the green and lipped out for birdie. Starting with the 11th hole you turn towards the water and into the wind. All the par-5's are over with by the 10th, so you really need to score in the holes beforehand. The 13th is an amazing hole. Relatively short at about 400 yards, it plays straight into the wind and the green sits among the natural sand-dunes, with it difficult to see the difference between those and the actual bunkers. It's very reminiscent of the holes at Pacific Dunes, so I can see where Doak got his inspiration from.

The 15th is a great short par-3. A short iron has to be placed accurately onto a very small green. This hole probably doesn't get the due it should, since it precedes the 16th, but make no mistake, it is a great hole. What can I say about the 16th that hasn't already been said. It's stunning and more than difficult. The green is large, but is still hard to find. If you try to bail out and hit it a little too far you are toast and obviously short is not an option. I hit it over the green and almost onto the 17th tee and in the ice plant. I managed to get it out and make 4, but I really wanted another shot at it. The 17th hole is amazing too, a short hole again, but precision is a must and the green is sneaky, very hard to read. The 18th hole is a difficult hole, despite being less than 400 yards. There is practically no fairway, and if you miss it right, forget about it. A steep hill means that anything short of the green comes back to your feet.

All in all, an amazing experience. I had it -3 with 4 to play and finished bogey, bogey, bogey, double, so that was a bum deal, but when you are out there you can't get caught up in that. You just have to enjoy yourself, as I kept telling myself, when will I get to play here again. I will say, the sign at the entrance is somewhat imposing "Cypress Point Club - Members ONLY". Awesome experience and Cypress definitely fits into my top 3 courses of all time.

I had my shot at sneaking on CP many years ago, but didn't, to my regret. I did walk around a bit and found it amazing. Congrats to anyone who's had the chance to play there.

I've snuck on plenty of other great tracks. Some holiday boredom and a push from the wife has gotten me to writing about some of my experiences. I'm just getting started and having a ball!

http://thesneakattacker.blogspot.com/

[b][quote]All in all, an amazing experience. I had it -3 with 4 to play and finished bogey, bogey, bogey, double, so that was a bum deal, but when you are out there you can't get caught up in that. [/b]You just have to enjoy yourself, as I kept telling myself, when will I get to play here again. I will say, the sign at the entrance is somewhat imposing "Cypress Point Club - Members ONLY". Awesome experience and Cypress definitely fits into my top 3 courses of all time. [b][/quote][/b]

I find it a bit strange, that after "several years" of you not playing a course, that you could end up being that good @ the course? I mean, no disrespect to you, but if you were THAT good(-3 w/4 to play) on a legendary tough course, wouldn't you be playing on tour? My buddy who's been playing since age 9 called BS when i told him that, and asked the exact same thing, and he's like a scratch golfer. Im sure it can be done...just find it a bit hard to swallow that a course you haven't played in "several years", and you can still play it @ -3?

Not to be a jerk...just seems a bit fishy to me. Thanks for the review nonetheless.

[b][quote][/b]
I find it a bit strange, that after "several years" of you not playing a course, that you could end up being that good @ the course? I mean, no disrespect to you, but if you were THAT good(-3 w/4 to play) on a legendary tough course, wouldn't you be playing on tour? My buddy who's been playing since age 9 called BS when i told him that, and asked the exact same thing, and he's like a scratch golfer. Im sure it can be done...just find it a bit hard to swallow that a course you haven't played in "several years", and you can still play it @ -3?

Not to be a jerk...just seems a bit fishy to me. Thanks for the review nonetheless.
[/quote]

Why is he not on tour? Because, as he stated, he still shot two over on the round. Honestly, there are a lot of folks on this site that need to understand there are a boatload of top notch players in this world. I'm not sure what tees he was playing, but even playing the backs, being 3 under with a few holes to play on a difficult course you're not familiar with is within reach of tens of thousands of golfers on this planet.

[quote]Why is he not on tour? Because, as he stated, he still shot two over on the round[/quote]

Ok...but there are "TONS OF TOP NOTCH GUYS" who are ON tour who shoot over par? whats your point? these guys play courses every week, or at least once a year.
[quote]
. Honestly, there are a lot of folks on this site that need to understand there are a boatload of top notch players in this world.[/quote]

I "understood" it, and understand it now....I just find it hard to beleiev AGAIN, that a guy who hasn't played a course in "several years", can just walk on one day, and play @ -3 under through 14, and end up @ 2 over? Like i said...maybe Im not understanding the realm of possibility here? Im not trying to say this person isn't a "top notch player" as you claim, but if he were, certainly even YOU would have to admit, he'd be doing something MUCH more important(like trying to get on one of the tours, and yes, from what he claims, he's good enough to be on the Nationwide, or Japan tours?) that is..."IF" he's as good as he/you claim he is? No fault of mine to question it, as it still seems fishy to me. Guys who are "top notch" dont have alot of time to post on message boards, and also dont need to "sneak onto courses, they havent played in several years". They play top notch courses...all the time. Thats what "top notch players" do, no? To be good @ anything(especially golf), you have to play anywhere, and EVERYWHERE all the time.

[quote]I'm not sure what tees he was playing, but even playing the backs, being 3 under with a few holes to play on a difficult course you're not familiar with is within reach of tens of thousands of golfers on this planet. [/quote]

Not true!!! There are how many guys on the pro tours? and they're there for what reason? they can do something that "tens of thousands of people" CANNOT do: play under par golf. If "tens of thousands" can play @ that level? there'd be more guys on the tour each year, then the current number, no? Thats what that means...that there's only so many guys who can go out and consistantly play below par golf. Not because they "havent played courses in several years", but because they play them every year, all the time. They dominate on courses, you and I cannot.

I dont claim to be Phil Mickelson by any means, or no expert on someone's game, But, it still seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY to me and SEVERAL others who I've pointed this link out to, that it's that easy to shoot below par golf, on a course someone claims they havent played in several years?

Especially with modern technology being as it is today? course re-designs, the removing/moving of bunkers/holes, etc?

Do I doubt this person's ability on a golf course? no. To some it might look as if I do. But, I just find it highly unlikely that he shot the score that he did. Especially on a course that "top notch players" play on a consistant basis, and still cant seem to break par, and they're on the friggin PGA tour?

Pardon me for questioning the EXTREME unlikely hood of something I still call BS on.

I even asked the guys @ one of the local golf stores here in town(in Vegas), know what they said?"If he were THAT good, he'd be on tour. Nearly impossible for someone who hasn't played a course "in several years" to break even...no matter how good he/she claims to be". I would imagine the numbers of this thing actually happening that way, would be quite astronomical? I certainly would say it would be ALOT LESS THAN "Tens of thousands of people", as you've alluded to?

They only give out so many Tour cards....there's a reason for that. If he's as good as you two are saying...trust me...we'd have heard about him A LONG TIME AGO.

I stand by what I said/believe, and you can stand by what you say/believe. I think it's total BS, but thats just me.

I wish people here would realize that not everything said here and elsewhere is 100% accurate, or truthful.

Just sayin.

[quote name='GolferJeff' date='29 January 2010 - 03:55 AM' timestamp='1264755346' post='2211549']
[quote]Why is he not on tour? Because, as he stated, he still shot two over on the round[/quote]

Ok...but there are "TONS OF TOP NOTCH GUYS" who are ON tour who shoot over par? whats your point? these guys play courses every week, or at least once a year.
[quote]
. Honestly, there are a lot of folks on this site that need to understand there are a boatload of top notch players in this world.[/quote]

I "understood" it, and understand it now....I just find it hard to beleiev AGAIN, that a guy who hasn't played a course in "several years", can just walk on one day, and play @ -3 under through 14, and end up @ 2 over? Like i said...maybe Im not understanding the realm of possibility here? Im not trying to say this person isn't a "top notch player" as you claim, but if he were, certainly even YOU would have to admit, he'd be doing something MUCH more important(like trying to get on one of the tours, and yes, from what he claims, he's good enough to be on the Nationwide, or Japan tours?) that is..."IF" he's as good as he/you claim he is? No fault of mine to question it, as it still seems fishy to me. Guys who are "top notch" dont have alot of time to post on message boards, and also dont need to "sneak onto courses, they havent played in several years". They play top notch courses...all the time. Thats what "top notch players" do, no? To be good @ anything(especially golf), you have to play anywhere, and EVERYWHERE all the time.

[quote]I'm not sure what tees he was playing, but even playing the backs, being 3 under with a few holes to play on a difficult course you're not familiar with is within reach of tens of thousands of golfers on this planet. [/quote]

Not true!!! There are how many guys on the pro tours? and they're there for what reason? they can do something that "tens of thousands of people" CANNOT do: play under par golf. If "tens of thousands" can play @ that level? there'd be more guys on the tour each year, then the current number, no? Thats what that means...that there's only so many guys who can go out and consistantly play below par golf. Not because they "havent played courses in several years", but because they play them every year, all the time. They dominate on courses, you and I cannot.

I dont claim to be Phil Mickelson by any means, or no expert on someone's game, But, it still seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY to me and SEVERAL others who I've pointed this link out to, that it's that easy to shoot below par golf, on a course someone claims they havent played in several years?

Especially with modern technology being as it is today? course re-designs, the removing/moving of bunkers/holes, etc?

Do I doubt this person's ability on a golf course? no. To some it might look as if I do. But, I just find it highly unlikely that he shot the score that he did. Especially on a course that "top notch players" play on a consistant basis, and still cant seem to break par, and they're on the friggin PGA tour?

Pardon me for questioning the EXTREME unlikely hood of something I still call BS on.

I even asked the guys @ one of the local golf stores here in town(in Vegas), know what they said?"If he were THAT good, he'd be on tour. Nearly impossible for someone who hasn't played a course "in several years" to break even...no matter how good he/she claims to be". I would imagine the numbers of this thing actually happening that way, would be quite astronomical? I certainly would say it would be ALOT LESS THAN "Tens of thousands of people", as you've alluded to?

They only give out so many Tour cards....there's a reason for that. If he's as good as you two are saying...trust me...we'd have heard about him A LONG TIME AGO.

I stand by what I said/believe, and you can stand by what you say/believe. I think it's total BS, but thats just me.

I wish people here would realize that not everything said here and elsewhere is 100% accurate, or truthful.

Just sayin.
[/quote]
There are lots of people who are good players who maybe just didnt have what it took to play the pro tours. A casual round of golf is much different than tournament golf, and there are other factors as well. Maybe he didnt have the financial resourses to make it on tour, maybe he didnt like the lifestyle of traveling away from the family, maybe he had an injuy, maybe he got married, had kids and got a good job and wanted to be more grounded. Maybe there are people who are good college players who just dont have the drive and desire to dedicate their lives to working on thier golf game and become a club pro, or start a business or sell widgets. There is a big difference between being a top level player, makeing it on tour, living with the rigors of traveling around the world for a living with a wife and kids at home and being a +2 handicap on the weekends.

Cypress is a tough course but when the weather is nice and the wind is not blowing real hard I am sure a good player can shoot a good score there. I know a good player, who used to be a club pro that now sells insurance and carries a 6 handicap who shot a 76 at Pebble the first tme he played it from the back tees. True the guy used to be around scratch, and he is a very sporadic player, but he played well that day and shot a good score he is proud of.

Being a tour player is not easy, there are more good players who dont make it than you might think, just like any other sport, and sometimes the line is pretty thin between how good you need to be.

Just Sayin.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote]When is it your place to call someone out on their score? [/quote]

When I feel i'm being fed a huge load of crapola, which I feel I am @ this time. I have the right to ask questions, and voice my opinions, as you do. Because you choose not to like what's being asked, is not my problem. Im sorry, the logic doesnt add up.

When is it your place, to call someone out on calling someone else's score out?

[quote]There are lots of people who are good players who maybe just didnt have what it took to play the pro tours. A casual round of golf is much different than tournament golf, and there are other factors as well. Maybe he didnt have the financial resourses to make it on tour, maybe he didnt like the lifestyle of traveling away from the family, maybe he had an injuy, maybe he got married, had kids and got a good job and wanted to be more grounded. Maybe there are people who are good college players who just dont have the drive and desire to dedicate their lives to working on thier golf game and become a club pro, or start a business or sell widgets. There is a big difference between being a top level player, makeing it on tour, living with the rigors of traveling around the world for a living with a wife and kids at home and being a +2 handicap on the weekends.
[/quote]

All true! However.......Still find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that someone who "hasnt played a course in years", could just walk up, and play @ -3 under through 14, UNLESS they're on some tour? The odds arent in his/hers favor.

"Tens of thousands" cannot do it, no way no how, thats why i find it so hard to believe. If they could...it'd be easier to play this game & they'd be giving out more tour cards than they are now? Which again, is proof this sorta thing doesnt just happen.

[quote]Cypress is a tough course but when the weather is nice and the wind is not blowing real hard I am sure a good player can shoot a good score there. I know a good player, who used to be a club pro that now sells insurance and carries a 6 handicap who shot a 76 at Pebble the first tme he played it from the back tees. True the guy used to be around scratch, and he is a very sporadic player, but he played well that day and shot a good score he is proud of. [/quote]

But, he didnt shoot "under par for 14 holes" on a course he hadn't played "in several years"? I just call BS, IM sorry.

[quote]
Being a tour player is not easy, there are more good players who dont make it than you might think, just like any other sport, and sometimes the line is pretty thin between how good you need to be.

Just Sayin. [/quote]

Im well aware of the sacrifices one must make to get on tour...my buddy is an *almost* scratch golfer...and he too, didnt believe the score. He's tried a few times, to qualify, and still hasnt done it. Thats why I find it so hard to believe. I bet, if you asked any college or pro player if it's possible for someone to walk onto a course they "havent played in several years", and "all of a sudden" they play -3 golf for 14 holes, they'd believe you? I sure wouldn't. Especially an amateur.

Im sure this guy's a nice guy, and I believe he's a good player. But BS is BS no matter how you sling it. This is one of those times...IMO, Sorry.

By the way...I once shot a 59 @ St Andrews...through 16 holes...then i ended up: bogey, bogey, triple bogey, quad bogey, hit 2 birds, jumped one of the fairways, and ended up shooting a 100.

And to think...I hadn't played there "in several years".

[quote name='GolferJeff' date='29 January 2010 - 06:06 AM' timestamp='1264763173' post='2211581']
[quote]There are lots of people who are good players who maybe just didnt have what it took to play the pro tours. A casual round of golf is much different than tournament golf, and there are other factors as well. Maybe he didnt have the financial resourses to make it on tour, maybe he didnt like the lifestyle of traveling away from the family, maybe he had an injuy, maybe he got married, had kids and got a good job and wanted to be more grounded. Maybe there are people who are good college players who just dont have the drive and desire to dedicate their lives to working on thier golf game and become a club pro, or start a business or sell widgets. There is a big difference between being a top level player, makeing it on tour, living with the rigors of traveling around the world for a living with a wife and kids at home and being a +2 handicap on the weekends.
[/quote]

All true! However.......Still find it EXTREMELY hard to believe that someone who "hasnt played a course in years", could just walk up, and play @ -3 under through 14, UNLESS they're on some tour? The odds arent in his/hers favor.

"Tens of thousands" cannot do it, no way no how, thats why i find it so hard to believe. If they could...it'd be easier to play this game & they'd be giving out more tour cards than they are now? Which again, is proof this sorta thing doesnt just happen.

[quote]Cypress is a tough course but when the weather is nice and the wind is not blowing real hard I am sure a good player can shoot a good score there. I know a good player, who used to be a club pro that now sells insurance and carries a 6 handicap who shot a 76 at Pebble the first tme he played it from the back tees. True the guy used to be around scratch, and he is a very sporadic player, but he played well that day and shot a good score he is proud of. [/quote]

But, he didnt shoot "under par for 14 holes" on a course he hadn't played "in several years"? I just call BS, IM sorry.

[quote]

Just Sayin. [/quote]

Im well aware of the sacrifices one must make to get on tour...my buddy is an *almost* scratch golfer...and he too, didnt believe the score. He's tried a few times, to qualify, and still hasnt done it. Thats why I find it so hard to believe. I bet, if you asked any college or pro player if it's possible for someone to walk onto a course they "havent played in several years", and "all of a sudden" they play -3 golf for 14 holes, they'd believe you? I sure wouldn't. Especially an amateur.

Im sure this guy's a nice guy, and I believe he's a good player. But BS is BS no matter how you sling it. This is one of those times...IMO, Sorry.

By the way...I once shot a 59 @ St Andrews...through 16 holes...then i ended up: bogey, bogey, triple bogey, quad bogey, hit 2 birds, jumped one of the fairways, and ended up shooting a 100.

And to think...I hadn't played there "in several years".
[/quote]
If you want to call someone a liar, whom you have never met or know anything about, who is just telling us about his experience of playing Cyress and it make you feel better about yourself then fine. But really whats the point? Even IF he is "BS-ing" you have just lowered yourself below his level because you dont have any proof to back it up. Personally I will give him the benefit of the doubt because being that we dont know him what does he have to gain from lieing? and number two even if he was what does it matter? Quite frankly I tend to think you are more of a sh!t stirrer than he is a BS-er.

True story, I am a 7 handicap, I played Spyglass this year for the first time, I struggled on the first few holes because I just rolled off the plane and then drove 1 1/2 hours to the course and changed clothes in the parking lot and ran to the first tee, but shot 2 over par 38 on the back nine. Never saw the course before and by all all accounts Spyglass is a very difficult course maybe more difficult than Cypress. Is that unbeleiveable? Well it's true, I have witnesses and in relative terms to my handicap I dont think it is much differnt than what he is claiming. Good player, hot putter, some inspriation, first time playing the course, dont know where the trouble is so you just play. Totally beleivable. Give it a rest.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly