Anyone try sneaking onto Cypress Point?

harpua728

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1404751927' post='9652447'][quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404711505' post='9650359']
This is an old thread. But, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to brag about trespassing and theft like this?
[/quote]

Read post 35 and lighten up.[/quote]

That wasn't the only person talking about doing this.

Here's a really stupid question but I'm gonna throw it out there. What if we were to show up at an off peak time and walk into the pro shop just to buy a hat. After milling around for a few minutes shopping, assuming the course is wide open at the time we walked in, what if we politely requested we be allowed to play? Do I have about as much chance of hitting the Powerball as this working?

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404711505' post='9650359']
This is an old thread. But, am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous to brag about trespassing and theft like this?
[/quote]

This is a super weird post.

A) Its not a brag, it is a question.
B) Calling this "trespassing and theft" is like saying that someone who has jaywalked once before is a criminal. If you need to completely disconnect with reality to make a point it probably isn't a very good point.

[quote name='questfor80sf' timestamp='1404864054' post='9662743'][quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404711505' post='9650359']
[/quote]

This is a super weird post.

A) Its not a brag, it is a question.
B) Calling this "trespassing and theft" is like saying that someone who has jaywalked once before is a criminal. If you need to completely disconnect with reality to make a point it probably isn't a very good point.[/quote]

That's a horrible analogy. You aren't taking value when you jaywalk. You're breaking an ordinance on public property.

By walking on without paying you are taking a service without paying for it. That's actually a crime.

[quote name='johnnylongball' timestamp='1404838368' post='9660041']
Here's a really stupid question but I'm gonna throw it out there. What if we were to show up at an off peak time and walk into the pro shop just to buy a hat. After milling around for a few minutes shopping, assuming the course is wide open at the time we walked in, what if we politely requested we be allowed to play? Do I have about as much chance of hitting the Powerball as this working?
[/quote]

You wouldn't get one foot in the proshop.

[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1404935500' post='9668351']
Agree with poppy, you could park your car in the lot but you would not be allowed to walk around the pro shop and shop for a hat. You most likely will be asked if you are a member then be asked politely to leave.
[/quote]

Oh well. Forum needs a button for "don't like"

• 5 months later...

[quote name='GolferJeff' timestamp='1264755346' post='2211549']
[quote]Why is he not on tour? Because, as he stated, he still shot two over on the round[/quote]

Ok...but there are "TONS OF TOP NOTCH GUYS" who are ON tour who shoot over par? whats your point? these guys play courses every week, or at least once a year.
[quote]
. Honestly, there are a lot of folks on this site that need to understand there are a boatload of top notch players in this world.[/quote]

I "understood" it, and understand it now....I just find it hard to beleiev AGAIN, that a guy who hasn't played a course in "several years", can just walk on one day, and play @ -3 under through 14, and end up @ 2 over? Like i said...maybe Im not understanding the realm of possibility here? Im not trying to say this person isn't a "top notch player" as you claim, but if he were, certainly even YOU would have to admit, he'd be doing something MUCH more important(like trying to get on one of the tours, and yes, from what he claims, he's good enough to be on the Nationwide, or Japan tours?) that is..."IF" he's as good as he/you claim he is? No fault of mine to question it, as it still seems fishy to me. Guys who are "top notch" dont have alot of time to post on message boards, and also dont need to "sneak onto courses, they havent played in several years". They play top notch courses...all the time. Thats what "top notch players" do, no? To be good @ anything(especially golf), you have to play anywhere, and EVERYWHERE all the time.

[quote]I'm not sure what tees he was playing, but even playing the backs, being 3 under with a few holes to play on a difficult course you're not familiar with is within reach of tens of thousands of golfers on this planet. [/quote]

Not true!!! There are how many guys on the pro tours? and they're there for what reason? they can do something that "tens of thousands of people" CANNOT do: play under par golf. If "tens of thousands" can play @ that level? there'd be more guys on the tour each year, then the current number, no? Thats what that means...that there's only so many guys who can go out and consistantly play below par golf. Not because they "havent played courses in several years", but because they play them every year, all the time. They dominate on courses, you and I cannot.

I dont claim to be Phil Mickelson by any means, or no expert on someone's game, But, it still seems HIGHLY UNLIKELY to me and SEVERAL others who I've pointed this link out to, that it's that easy to shoot below par golf, on a course someone claims they havent played in several years?

Especially with modern technology being as it is today? course re-designs, the removing/moving of bunkers/holes, etc?

Do I doubt this person's ability on a golf course? no. To some it might look as if I do. But, I just find it highly unlikely that he shot the score that he did. Especially on a course that "top notch players" play on a consistant basis, and still cant seem to break par, and they're on the friggin PGA tour?

Pardon me for questioning the EXTREME unlikely hood of something I still call BS on.

I even asked the guys @ one of the local golf stores here in town(in Vegas), know what they said?"If he were THAT good, he'd be on tour. Nearly impossible for someone who hasn't played a course "in several years" to break even...no matter how good he/she claims to be". I would imagine the numbers of this thing actually happening that way, would be quite astronomical? I certainly would say it would be ALOT LESS THAN "Tens of thousands of people", as you've alluded to?

They only give out so many Tour cards....there's a reason for that. If he's as good as you two are saying...trust me...we'd have heard about him A LONG TIME AGO.

I stand by what I said/believe, and you can stand by what you say/believe. I think it's total BS, but thats just me.

I wish people here would realize that not everything said here and elsewhere is 100% accurate, or truthful.

Just sayin.
[/quote]

This is an old post, but what if he makes more money off the golf course than most tour players? Playing on the Asian, European, or even PGA Tour would suck if you want to spend time with your family, or sleep in your own bed. Lastly, I played with a guy in DC who was in his 50's, stilled lived at home, showed up at this private course with a bowl he made from a piece of 2x4 (he was a pot smoking wood worker), AND a tube of hemorrhoid cream (NO JOKE). We were playing a team match and we were competitive for the first few holes. When the round was over, he shot a 65 and took my money for the first and last time. A lot of guys lie. Some are so good that you may think that they are lying, but doesn't make it necessarily so.

• 7 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2014 at 8:51 AM, sharkiesj said:

Agree with poppy, you could park your car in the lot but you would not be allowed to walk around the pro shop and shop for a hat. You most likely will be asked if you are a member then be asked politely to leave.

Not to mention the pro shop guys know all the members.  They will sense you aren't a member very quickly and then out you go!!

A buddy of mine played Cypress 3 months ago as a guest of a member.  He came to the Monterey Peninsula early to soak it all in.  Played Pebble, CPC and MPCC’s Shore Course.  Anyways, after his round at MPCC, he made his way over to CPC just to look around the pro shop before his tee time the next day, with the member. The pro at CPC told him he couldn’t buy anything that day.  You can only buy things on the day that you play, so come back tomorrow and then you can buy things here in the pro shop.  That’s the CPC way, or the highway…

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to play Cypress a couple days ago.  The proshop is very small. The assistant pros will ask your name and which member you are playing with right away.  They have you fill out a card with your information.  I just don't see anyway you will be able to purchase any merchandise without being on the tee sheet.  As mention previously, there are no price tags on the merchandise.  The prices were very reasonable though.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 Ventus Blue TR
Taylormade SIM 2 Ti 3W

Taylormade Sim 2 5W
Ping G410 4 Hybrid
PXG 0311T Gen 4 5-GW, Steelfiber i95 
PXG Gen 2 Sugar Daddy 54
Titleist SM9 58T
Scotty Cameron Button Back Newport

6 hours ago, bcc69 said:

I was lucky enough to play Cypress a couple days ago.  The proshop is very small. The assistant pros will ask your name and which member you are playing with right away.  They have you fill out a card with your information.  I just don't see anyway you will be able to purchase any merchandise without being on the tee sheet.  As mention previously, there are no price tags on the merchandise.  The prices were very reasonable though.

How’s bragging camp going?!?!

2 hours ago, bsuwara said:

I honestly don’t see how this is bragging …

Someone that has been a guest there is just filling in some of the blanks from their experience … 

Now if you’re jealous and it hit a nerve, that’s another story …

It’s sarcasm. A lost art in print. Yes it’s cool and yes I would do the same. 

it’s a Zach Galafanakis meme. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few things learned/heard about CPC from playing there a couple of times thanks to two kind members …

1). U need to be sponsored by a member just to buy anything in the pro shop

2). The course isn’t that hard, but it is great - one of my top three at worst if not overall favorite in world.

3). Have heard people have snuck on and there are many ways.  (Just to be clear, it is private property.)

4). We (college team and coach) were scheduled to play the next morning, parked by 15, went to the tee and on our way back to the car we’re greeted by a security guard.  Coach was a little flustered but told us guard told him just to leave.

I’ve posted this before but people would sneak on Christmas Day all the time back in the 70’s early 80’s. Christmas Day there would literally be no one there.  Even the fence over by the Sunset Pointe parking lot had huge holes in it in the late 90’s  where you could easily slip through the fence and play 17 and 18.