06 Shell Houston Open- Please Put Comments Here!

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some observations:

Bubba Watson is a freaking animal. He was hitting long irons that started out about 4 or five feet off the ground and just climbed straight up in the air to a frightenting height, you've got to see it to believe it. His trajectory is PERFECT.

Vijay is working really hard on getting his plane a little more steep. He was rehersing some serious straight up and down swings. I think the flatness of his swing was really bothering him. He was KILLING drivers all day, he hits the ball so high and straight, it's scary. The man's a serious perfectionist. If he's struggling, most other tour players have a LONG ways to go with their golf swing. I continue to be very impressed by his work ethic, talent, and friendly nature around the course.

David Toms looks pretty good tee to green. Although he doesn't get mentioned among the big hitters, he's definately not short. "Sneaky long" is the perfect description for him.

Camillo Villegas hits the ball very high, he's incredibly long, and he's not a big guy at all. He might look ripped in pictures and on TV, but he's really not. The distance and swing speed he generates off his frame is proof that you don't need to be 6'3" to hit the long ball.

Jason Gore struggled today in his practice round and on the range. He makes great contact, but is all over the map direction wise. Still, he was very cheerful and friendly to the galleries.

The course looks good, there's not much room for galleries on many holes, so it'll be interesting to see how the weekend pans out for galleries. I was a little dissapointed, the rough doesn't look penal at all, it's fairly short and sparse, especially compared to the thick, ankle-high rough they had on the member's course last year. There's a very good mix of holes for a course that's 7500 yards, some driveable par 4's (for the long guys). The course as a whole is pretty narrow, especially for such a long track. As mentioned above, there's not much room pas the rough, if you miss, you'd better not miss big.

I think the 9th hole and 18th will be the game breakers. The 9th is a 235yard par 3 that's all carry. The 18th might be one of the most visually intimidating tee shots I've ever seen. Water all along the left side, and a very NARROW target with no bail out since there's a huge bunker on the right hand side of the fairway. It looks like there's hardly any room at all to land the ball unless you're short, and then you're facing a long iron into the green. Left is DEAD, if it's close on Sunday, this will be a very interesting hole.

I didn't get to see Stuart Appleby, Ian Poulter, or JB Holmes. I will tomorrow!

Just a couple of equipment things that stuck out to me:

Brandt Jobe's raw hogan blades!

post-11-1145412198.jpg

The 585H's headcover looks a bit different from the current line. Wonder if this one will make it to retail.

Way to go Taylormadefan! :golfer: Just when we thought we couldn't get enough pics here, suddenly we missed a tournament and the place just seemed empty. (cool) Thanks for brining some excitement back to the site with you pics!

Camillo Villegas hits the ball very high, he's incredibly long, and he's not a big guy at all. He might look ripped in pictures and on TV, but he's really not. The distance and swing speed he generates off his frame is proof that you don't need to be 6'3" to hit the long ball.

Funny you mentioned that because this morning I stumbled across a GolfWeek mag from a few weeks ago with Villegas on the cover. His arms looked absolutely HUGE. Just amazing how much speed this kid generates.

Anyway, great pics! Looking forward to some more later today.

Great pics, keep it up!!! Also a bit of a surprise to see a Titleist driver in Parnevik’s bag. Hasn’t he been playing Callaway woods for ever???

Parnevik has been talking up the 905R since he got one. He was really excited about it.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

eeeech ping g/i5's (i can't tell).........i feel bad for hunter mahan kinda. i HATE ping cavity back game improvement "irons" (term used loosely).

a general question: is teh watermarking a "rule" here on WRX? it's actually kind of annoying and ruins otherwise sweet pics. it's it's a rule then fine but I for one see no reason for it and it's kinda lame.

strange to see eye2's?? that is ping's only good (in terms of having lasting power) iron really. zeech!

eeeech ping g/i5's (i can't tell).........i feel bad for hunter mahan kinda. i HATE ping cavity back game improvement "irons" (term used loosely).

a general question: is teh watermarking a "rule" here on WRX? it's actually kind of annoying and ruins otherwise sweet pics. it's it's a rule then fine but I for one see no reason for it and it's kinda lame.

strange to see eye2's?? that is ping's only good (in terms of having lasting power) iron really. zeech!

The watermarking is a rule for pictures because people have taken/cropped then and not properly credited the source. Also, when people link pictures, it eats up bandwitdh which raises costs to run the site.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

Great pictures, K.

Keep 'em coming for those of us who have to go to work sometime this week. :golfer:

Re: 18th hole, is that bunker in play for the 290+ yards carry guys? I thought they'd be able to start it at that bunker and draw it past into the fairway?

[i][color=#0000cd][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.[/font][/b][/color][/i]

Wow Kiran, makes me wish I could be out there...but gotta put food on the table... (cool)

My buddy wanted to give me 4 tickets to go any day, but I had to tell him no b/c my wife is off this weekend and she doesn't think much of this "date" that i had all planned out.... :golfer:

thanks, and don't get sunburned, so damn hot outside!

great pics. Do you remember who was using the cameron shamrock headcover?

The shamrock headcover was Darren Clarke's, I dont think it's a Cameron headcover, actually I think you can pick on up at Golfsmith for $19.99!

Great pictures, K.

Keep 'em coming for those of us who have to go to work sometime this week. (cool)

Re: 18th hole, is that bunker in play for the 290+ yards carry guys? I thought they'd be able to start it at that bunker and draw it past into the fairway?

The 18th is a scary looking hole from the tournament tee box. I should have taken a picture of it. There are a couple of bunkers right, one is short (for the tour), the other is a bit longer. They're definatley in play. It's really a wicked looking hole. I don't know if TV will do it proper justice. The best shot I saw at 18 was Vaughn Taylor who stepped up and RIPPED a drive 300+ dead straight and down the middle. I'd be scared to play anything but a fade starting at the left side of the fairway. But that's probably why I was taking pictures and not playing this week. :golfer:

Phenomenal pics TMfan! Is David Thoms still playing the CG2's or did he make the switch to the CG1's? How about his driver..... still a 460 COMP?

David Toms is still playing CG2's, he's always been a cavity back guy. His 3 iron is a TA-6. He's still playing the 460 comp with Gafalloy Tour X.

Wow Kiran, makes me wish I could be out there...but gotta put food on the table... (cool)

My buddy wanted to give me 4 tickets to go any day, but I had to tell him no b/c my wife is off this weekend and she doesn't think much of this "date" that i had all planned out.... :golfer:

thanks, and don't get sunburned, so damn hot outside!

It was HOT out there today, they're saying a "cool" front should be passing through, so hopefully the weekend will be a bit more manageable.

great pics, are those lt2's in BJ Staten's bag?

BJ Saten's playing satin '05 TP cavity backs.

Great pics! Thank you! Anyone know what the irons are in Andrew Magee's bag were? TA-7's or TA-2's?

Not sure of what irons Magee is playing, one I've got with his name on his bag has CG1's for sure. The other has a TA-7 looking club. I think I mislabeled one. :D Sorry, too many players to remember at once.

New pics are on their way to GXgolfer. I've also got quite a bit of video that I will be messing around with tonight and will try to post for you guys. I have ZERO experience with digital video . . . hopefully this will work.

New pics are on their way to GXgolfer. I've also got quite a bit of video that I will be messing around with tonight and will try to post for you guys. I have ZERO experience with digital video . . . hopefully this will work.

Go to youtube.com and upload them there. Then insert the code as html with HTML turned on. PM me if you need help.

BST AD Help

Dang, sure don't see too many sets of 762s out on tour these days. Who's playin' those?

As far as Camillo not really being ripped or muscular, no real surprise there. It's amazing how the announcers go on and on about how muscular and ripped he is??? What's up with that.

Jesper with the R in the bag. Been a while since I've seen his bag without Cally drivers in it.

Some Day 2 observations:

I haven't ever been to a formal pro am before, only Tuesday practice rounds. I was SHOCKED at the variety of ways different pros treated their amateur partners. Some were incredibly cordial offering advise on golf and talking about pretty much anything. Others were complete jerks, not saying a word to the amateurs, some so rude they wouldn't even walk down to the amateur tees when their playing partners hit. I know it can be tough to watch bad golfers, but these guys are paying their paychecks, the least they can do is pretend to be interested. Interestingly enough, KJ Choi who speaks broken english was one of the most friendly with his amateur partners. I guess it's true what they say about jerks being jerks in any language.

Jerry Kelly was sporting an Ozik hybrid in his Halo 3.

KJ Choi has the Matrix Code 6 in the driver. I watched the 9th hole (235 yard par 3) for the most of today, he blistered a 3 iron to six feet, hands down the best shot. Everyone else was coming up short and right with hybrids and 2 irons.

Ryan Palmer has the Adams 4060 fairway in the bag, and a Sonartec MD under the 585H headcover which was a bit of a shock.

Tim Herron still has the Eye2's in the bag along with a TM rescue mid with project X.

Great job on the pictures!!

Vijay is working really hard on getting his plane a little more steep. He was rehersing some serious straight up and down swings. I think the flatness of his swing was really bothering him. He was KILLING drivers all day, he hits the ball so high and straight, it's scary. The man's a serious perfectionist. If he's struggling, most other tour players have a LONG ways to go with their golf swing. I continue to be very impressed by his work ethic, talent, and friendly nature around the course.

Agreed. When I saw him at the Canadian Open, I thought the same thing. He is simply that much better then the others. I watched alot of the usual suspects come and go on the range, then VJ shows up and flat out makes them look like good amateurs. There is one other guy that stood out and that was Brandt Jobe. He hits it SOLID and LONG.

I didn't get to see Stuart Appleby

Hooray for the little guys! :golfer:

Just wait til you see Appleby, that guy should be playing rugby or baseball. To me he looks much bigger in person then on TV.