Matrix Ozik

Need the truth from Golfwrx'ers
I don't doubt that the Ozik/Altus shafts aren't great shafts but I feel that so many of the reviews on another website are so overwhelmingly positive that I need GolfWrx's unbiased take on the shaft. I know that the replies here will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Cobra LTDX 9* Ventus Blue 6X
Cobra LTDX LS 16.5* Ventus Black 8X
Cobra Tour 4-PW PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX6 50*/54*/58* PX 6.5
Ping PLD Anser D

Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great shaft, not for all. I believe it will reduce side spin, but at a cost of distance.

The price tag is strictly a marketing strategy. There is no way MCC can justify the price tag in terms of technological advantage as compared to Fujikura or Mitsubishi or even Mamiya/UST.

It kind of irks me that a shaft company can be so bold as to proclaim some great technology with a bunch of made up terminology that means nothing to the industry as a whole and thinks this is enough to justify shaft prices north of $400.

I will give Fujikura a pass because they earned it with many years of history and research behind them. When they release a new series like the Rombax and talk about it in terms of an extension of the current technologies and taking them to a new level, then fine, I can see the small increase in price.

I give Graphite Design the same pass.

Mitsubishi I consider in a grey area. Can they prove to me that Diamana is not just a rebranding of the Rayon line? What is new technology behind Diamana and how does it differ from Rayon shafts with similar specs. I hit a GD Japan shaft with pretty much the same specs as a YS series and I can tell the difference, there is justification for the price difference. I hit a tour spec Fuji with similar specs to the Vista Pro, I can tell the difference. I hit a Rayon with similar specs to a Diamana, I CAN'T tell the difference. And it's not just with one of their shafts it's the same up and down the weight/torque scale. Unless Mitsubishi wants to be more open about their technology and how exactly the shafts are different, as far as I am concerned Diamana is just a new name/color scheme for Rayon.

Which brings me to MCC. These guys are much worse than Mitsubishi when it comes to playing word games and telling potential customers a bunch of nothing. A huge bunch of nothing. They do a terrible job of rationalizing why I should consider any of the middle tier lines. Where is the proof? Where is the data that might suggest what they claim are so-called superior technologies compared to a Fujikura yield results? They cannot do this in layman's terms, they can't do it in high end shaft industry terms. And now they expect customers to suck up Oziks with even less rationalization.

MCC is smoke/mirrors and sadly they do not have to be that way. Either they are in the wrong business with too high of costs or they are trying to grab huge margins. Either way, until they can bring the shaft price into the real world of the premium market allowing more people to put it in play, they will suffer from a reputation of being full of it. They have not earned the right to have a $1000 shaft or $700 or $500 or even $300.

The only thing worse than the overinflated hype of Matrix is the stupid websites out there jumping on the bandwagon trying to rip off members by spinning the same crap. If MCC cannot even explain themselves, how in the world can a golf forum?

Send them both a message and don't participate in the garbage, go with a proven shaft company with some brains behind them.

Considering an Ozik? Save a ton of money and buy a properly fit UST V2. You will get just as good of results, and most likely better.

I agree with D-man and D-lord on this one. Why pay so much money on a shaft that has not been proven by the company. There are so many great shaft company that are way way inexpensive. I have been tinkering with the Diamana for a few months now but i decided to go with the V2 instead and I tell you this shaft is as good as you can get compare to the high end one. But then again if you have the dough and really want a very high end shaft then go for it. But in a practical way, go get fitted with UST shafts, Aldila(not my choice), Penleys, Harrison shafts (Mugen-new line this year, or the 2.5 pro line) etc. Those cost you not even breaking the $100.00 mark, then spend the rest of the money on a Cameron putters!!!

Just my opinion

I don't doubt that the Ozik/Altus shafts aren't great shafts but I feel that so many of the reviews on another website are so overwhelmingly positive that I need GolfWrx's unbiased take on the shaft. I know that the replies here will be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

I just got suspended from that other site. My fault? I simply said it was ridiculous to pay $1000 for a shaft, and people that believe all the hype are easily led. Thats leads me to believe that site is extremely biased. You are correct to seek out an unbiased opinion from people who are not benefiting in anyway from whatever you choose to do based on their opinions

I've never been one to spend a bunch on a shaft and have played several brands in my drivers in the past, including MCC Matrix, Graphite Design, Nippon Graphite and a few Fuji shafts, including a couple TourSpecs.

Driving is the best part of my game. I'm usually in the fairway, just 'Fred Funking' it out there. I could play my Nakashima NP1 with a Fuji Tour Release 27.3 ($100 shaft) for a long time (and have) and be happy.

This spring, I treated myself to a Bridgestone J33R 460cc with an OZIK Altus ($400 shaft), and carried two drivers on my recent 5-round golf trip. It was a great way to compare the two, as I'd interchangably hit them often.

Overall, there is no doubt the Altus is a smoother feeling, very responsive shaft. It even feels nicer than the Matrix shafts I've tried in the past. The reduced sidespin is noticeable. It really helps me when I hit a draw which normally would get away from me. It just doesn't with this shaft. I can even play a fade now, because I'm not afraid of it really losing it right. :golfer:

Of course, I wouldn't put a driver in play if I didn't gain distance, which I also have. :cheesy: I've hit some drives which wound up in places I have no business being, primarily because I'm confident that the shaft will let me go after the ball, and won't respond with duck hook. Consequently, I've had some 'odd yardage' approaches and need to practice my approach shots, which is the weakest part of my game.

So I paid $400 for this shaft. Would I do it again? Absolutely. :D

Would I pay $1000 for a shaft? No, but I also wouldn't pay $2000 for a Scotty putter, or $500 for a round of golf. The $1000 price tag for the TP OZIK line might be a little like the 'Grey Goose' vodka mentality. If you price it higher than everyone else, people with THINK it must be a lot better. I think anyone would be happy with the lesser priced OZIK line, unless you want to brag about cost to your buddies, which is fine if you do of course.

If you want to read a great article on the brilliant marketing if Grey Goose, READ THIS. After all, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.(cool)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I've never been one to spend a bunch on a shaft and have played several brands in my drivers in the past, including MCC Matrix, Graphite Design, Nippon Graphite and a few Fuji shafts, including a couple TourSpecs.

Driving is the best part of my game. I'm usually in the fairway, just 'Fred Funking' it out there. I could play my Nakashima NP1 with a Fuji Tour Release 27.3 ($100 shaft) for a long time (and have) and be happy.

This spring, I treated myself to a Bridgestone J33R 460cc with an OZIK Altus ($400 shaft), and carried two drivers on my recent 5-round golf trip. It was a great way to compare the two, as I'd interchangably hit them often.

Overall, there is no doubt the Altus is a smoother feeling, very responsive shaft. It even feels nicer than the Matrix shafts I've tried in the past. The reduced sidespin is noticeable. It really helps me when I hit a draw which normally would get away from me. It just doesn't with this shaft. I can even play a fade now, because I'm not afraid of it really losing it right. :golfer:

Of course, I wouldn't put a driver in play if I didn't gain distance, which I also have. :cheesy: I've hit some drives which wound up in places I have no business being, primarily because I'm confident that the shaft will let me go after the ball, and won't respond with duck hook. Consequently, I've had some 'odd yardage' approaches and need to practice my approach shots, which is the weakest part of my game.

So I paid $400 for this shaft. Would I do it again? Absolutely. :D

Would I pay $1000 for a shaft? No, but I also wouldn't pay $2000 for a Scotty putter, or $500 for a round of golf. The $1000 price tag for the TP OZIK line might be a little like the 'Grey Goose' vodka mentality. If you price it higher than everyone else, people with THINK it must be a lot better. I think anyone would be happy with the lesser priced OZIK line, unless you want to brag about cost to your buddies, which is fine if you do of course.

If you want to read a great article on the brilliant marketing if Grey Goose, READ THIS. After all, you don't sell the steak, you sell the sizzle.(cool)

Good post

HipCheck and D'Man two great posts.

While I have only hit the Matrix once, I cannot give an accurate representation of the shaft - it was in a Wishon 12* head. Do I believe that there is some truth to what MCC is spinning? Probably. Will that get me to go spend $1000 or even $400 on one of their shafts? Heck No!

I right now have a vacancy in the 1 Hole, and I have been playing with a Titleist 905R 8.5 and a Titleist Speeder, and I have been consistently hitting it better than anything recently... Yes, I said a Titleist Speeder. Am I convinced that this is the right set-up for me? Before the age of launch monitors, I would have said YES. Now, I will wait for my pro to get his Vector is so that I can truly come to a correct decision.

Most likely, I will stay with either the Speeder, a V2 85 or even the 757 Speeder - why? Because I know how my swing performs with these shafts. Trial and Error is what I have found best... I have never been one to read into the hype based on someone else's review, why? Because a golf swing is like a snowflake... no two are alike!

OK, Seacrest - OUT!

Matt

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

I haven't tried this shaft so I can't comment on the massive $1000 price tag the Ozik's come with. But, I have experimented with many high end shafts.

I believe in the old school teaching of, "The ball flight never lies" - which is what launch monitors do today. If you feel that this shaft does improve your ball flight that much, then maybe it is worth it.

I have been looking into shafts all off season up hear in the Great White North until I went out last weekend and played.

I found that using one of the 4'inch skinny tees did everything that I was looking for a new shaft to do!! I couldn't believe it. I drastically increased my launch angle, carry yardage, and decreased spin - all from a tee that cost $2.95 for a doz. I never would have thought that is all that I needed, but the ball flight speaks for itself.

IMO - there are more ways to fix the performance of a driver then a $1000 shaft, it could be worth exploring your options first.

I agree with an earlier post about the other site raving about the Ozik's for profit - no matter how good a shaft is there is no way that works that well for everybody, and there are no negative reviews on the site. Coincidence, I think not.

ive played the TP7 and the TP7x quite extensively and it is a very very good shaft.....it does reduce side spin considerably and it is very smooth feeling...however it is a shorter hitting shaft in my hands....i normally can carry the ball about 265 on a flush hit with either my diamana 63 or my fuji 771, but with the ozik, my carry is down to about 245-250 but it is damn accurate, i do hit more fairways, i have tried the ozik in only the strong flex and the xstiff flex, perhaps the stiff flex will be the perfect compliment.....i like the feeel and accuracy of the ozik but i hate the distance loss......

I've NEVER heard of distance loss with an Ozik. You need to be fit to these just like any other shaft! The stats of Choi show more distance and better accuracy... interesting some would lose distance.

I have heard of distance losses, but everyone seems to hit it straighter because of reduced sidespin. I just bought a 905R with an Altus, so I'll know for myself in a couple of weeks.

Just wondering, what's so advanced about the technology MCC is using?

Forgot to add...I HIGHLY doubt Demo is bitter. If he wanted one, he would just buy one. Just because someone isn't jumping on the bandwagon doesn't mean they're bitter.

I have heard of distance losses, but everyone seems to hit it straighter because of reduced sidespin. I just bought a 905R with an Altus, so I'll know for myself in a couple of weeks.

Just wondering, what's so advanced about the technology MCC is using?

It is pretty advanced, and it does reduce sidespin, I've seen that much first hand in the very limited time I've had with teh Ozik. Here's' the Matrix technology from clubmaker-online.

Within the Ozik is wrapped Boron from the United States, ballistic Zylon from Japan, and G-MAT from the United Kingdon. Each OZIK is built in the United States using a 12-step, 6-day, 9-person process that insures unmatched symmetry. The process is finished with the first of it's kind soft feel finish.

The OZIK TP-7 or TP-7x features our interplay Hybrid Technology: 118 count Boron sheets are wrapped twice over the shaft's full length at competing angles-for impact stability. Ballistic Zylon surrounds the Boron over the full length-for enhanced feel and recovery speed. The shaft is finished with G-MAT-for consistency and durability.

I've hit the F-7m a bunch now in a new Tour NVG2 MACTEC and I can report that it is really long. I get about the same carry as before, but the ball runs out a bunch with the F-7m(Formally called the Altus)

It's replaced the Fuji Tour Spec 553 X in a Tour 580XD that I hit for 2 years.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

How would you say the trajectory is on the altus or f-7? Wanted to put one in my tour issue Ft-3 10.5 but was worried if the trajectory would be too high. Was thinking about the c0de 6 instead

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

CSR,

What is really sad is your constant defending of BSG and your reading everything as a bash against BSG. If you like BSG so much, then post there only. You seem to be the one that has bitter feelings toward WRX and the membership. It seems that all you do is wait and try to take shots at WRX and its membership. Like everyone else here, you have a choice to turn the channel. Maybe its time for you to change back to your favorite one.

First off, there are some truly bitter people on this board... It's sad in my opinion.

One of lifes lessons I learned years ago was "Don't knock it until you try it." So just because you can't afford it, don't bash it. I'm sure you think a Ferrari is a waste of money as well... So stick with your Kia.

Another thing, it sells for $1K EVERYWHERE else I've seen, not just BSG.

I also find it funny that people will pay $2K for a putter that is EXACTLY the same as a retail and the only difference is the CT, the little doggy, new headcover, and other crap. So next time you pay for a putter that plays exactly the same as the one on the rack for $1800 less, think about your dissing of a great shaft w/out trying it. Maybe if you'd hit the fairway w/ the Ozik, you wouldn't be using the Cammy to putt for bogey. :golfer:

Don't be a hater. It makes you guys look immature.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

How would you say the trajectory is on the altus or f-7? Wanted to put one in my tour issue Ft-3 10.5 but was worried if the trajectory would be too high. Was thinking about the c0de 6 instead

I went from a 10.5* 580XD with kind of a soft tipped X flex shaft(played both Fuji 553 X and Harmon CBX) to get elevation to a 9* MACTEC Tour NVG2 with the F-7m X untipped. This head is supposed to launch it high with low spin and it's the same story with the shaft, but I hit the combo on a medium trajectory.

Bottom line, I'm normally a low ball hitter and the trajectory of my new setup is slightly lower than my old driver. I can hit it high but it's sort of a medium, flat trajectory for me on normal swings.

I like the shaft because on dry Texas fairways it's just what the doctor ordered.

My SS is 110-113mph.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

First off, there are some truly bitter people on this board... It's sad in my opinion.

One of lifes lessons I learned years ago was "Don't knock it until you try it." So just because you can't afford it, don't bash it. I'm sure you think a Ferrari is a waste of money as well... So stick with your Kia.

Another thing, it sells for $1K EVERYWHERE else I've seen, not just BSG.

I also find it funny that people will pay $2K for a putter that is EXACTLY the same as a retail and the only difference is the CT, the little doggy, new headcover, and other crap. So next time you pay for a putter that plays exactly the same as the one on the rack for $1800 less, think about your dissing of a great shaft w/out trying it. Maybe if you'd hit the fairway w/ the Ozik, you wouldn't be using the Cammy to putt for bogey. :golfer:

Don't be a hater. It makes you guys look immature.

Im not a hater, its only golf after all! I just find it amusing that i was suspended from BSG from saying its ridiculous to pay $1000 for a shaft! That forum is very biased, clearly trying to hype up this product to increase sales and not allowing any negative opinions to be aired. I prefer to make equipment judgements based on personal trials, however i also appreciate honest product reviews and opinions when i seek them. BSG is not giving honest reviews, more of a sly sales technique (cool)

CSR,

What is really sad is your constant defending of BSG and your reading everything as a bash against BSG. If you like BSG so much, then post there only. You seem to be the one that has bitter feelings toward WRX and the membership. It seems that all you do is wait and try to take shots at WRX and its membership. Like everyone else here, you have a choice to turn the channel. Maybe its time for you to change back to your favorite one.

Other than saying that it sells in places other than BSG for the same price, where did I defend them?

But since you asked... what happens here is that so many threads are started like the original post where instantly a bash on bsg or it's owner is slammed in some way. Then you have a guy like Demo jump in and slam it as well. See where I'm going with this? Maybe you should take a look at your team and the way the members react and slam another site. You say you want to be different and non-biased, so does that just mean you go against the grain of BSG? What they like you hate? That's the way it seems.

Just because I'm a golf fan and member at both sites and I call someone immature for bashing (like Demo) I get hit with a red flag from ADMIN? Doesn't seem fair now does it?

So, no disrespect meant to you GX, I just don't think it's fair...

No... what happens here is that so many threads are started like the original post where instantly a bash on bsg or it's owner is slammed in some way. Then you have a guy like Demo jump in and slam it as well. See where I'm going with this? Maybe you should take a look at your team and the way the members react and slam another site. You say you want to be different and non-biased, so does that just mean you go against the grain of BSG? What they like you hate? That's the way it seems.

Just because I'm a golf fan and member at both sites and I call someone immature for bashing (like Demo) I get hit with a red flag from ADMIN? Doesn't seem fair now does it?

Why is it when I read and re-read Demolitionmans post...I see no mention of BSG? Maybe a reference to "stupid websites out there jumping on the bandwagon " but no mention of an actual site. I think that's a little unfair singling someone out for something YOU brought up. I also highly doubt that Demolitionman is downing the shaft because of price. I'm sure he's already tried it as I'm also sure he can easily afford them........sorry...my 2 cents.

Now can we get back to maybe some other guys who can review this shaft. I've seen a few go for some very low prices here in the classifieds section. None hardly close to the $1000 price I've seen on golf sites as well as Ebay.

CSR,

No... what happens here is that so many threads are started like the original post where instantly a bash on bsg or it's owner is slammed in some way. Then you have a guy like Demo jump in and slam it as well. See where I'm going with this? Maybe you should take a look at your team and the way the members react and slam another site. You say you want to be different and non-biased, so does that just mean you go against the grain of BSG? What they like you hate? That's the way it seems.

What are you talking about??? So no one can have an opinon that differs from BSG and everyone that does is instantly bashing??? And you, the "golf fan", feels compelled to be the "monitor" of what is right and wrong on Golf Boards and must defend BSG. Have you ever gone against the grain on anything at BSG??? There is suspect information on both boards and Owners and admins are not clean but, don't try to play it off like you are above all of it. BSG is a business that sells clubs. They promote what they sell and their is nothing wrong with that. The problem with your "defending" posts is that you see everything as a WRX vs BSG arguement. Why don't you let people state their opinions and let the educated "golf fan" decide. I would think the BSG ownership is strong enough to defend themselves without proxies.

Do you feel targeted??? Maybe because everytime I see your posts its a subtle dig against WRX or one of the membership. Change it back to your favorite channel and then you won't be exposed to the "bashing".

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

WOW! DMan... you are way off buddy. It seems like a few of you are bitter about the cost of the Ozik and will bash it for that reason.

Quite simply, the Ozik line is the best shaft ever made. The technology is there and you can't argue numbers.... or can you D? Fujikura has NO quality control of their shafts. They make so many that there is no way they can watch the tolerences. The Ozik's are built by hand... like many of the MCC shafts.

I tried the Fuji Rombax in my Nak 420 and it was ok. Too much backspin and not enough distance... but the thing was laser straight. So I tried the Ozik Medius and wow! The thing has the accuracy of the Rombax and the distance to boot. I'm finally done messing with the driver!

I have since put the Rombax in my 3-wood and have discovered the best 3 wood shaft ever!

Bottom line... the Ozik DOES have the most advanced technology and EVERY other golf shaft is INFERIOR. Nothing recovers faster and nothing reduces side spin like the Ozik.

If you don't have the means to own one, don't be bitter. It really sounds like some of you are jealous because you don't or can't have one. And it's so obvious that the guys bashing it have barely even hit it! DMan... the Ozik will cost you distance?? You haven't touched the shaft have you?

Before some of you haters spout off about this shaft... TRY IT OUT!!

And just so you all know, my Rombax cost me $50 more than the Medius.

I usually have more than average patience for the ignorant, but not today.

Anyone else want to call me bitter?

Instead of turning this into a BSG vs GolfWRX thread...again!...why not some of you post some real data that MCC can stand behind. The KJ Choi example is a very poor one.

KJ Choi stats for driving distance:

'03 - 294.7

'04 - 285

'05 - 288.8

'06 - 280.2

So what happenned this year? What was going on in '03? Choi off of steroids? Or is still playing a Matrix? Good news is while a ton of players are bombing it past him, they are in the rough while KJ is in the fairway. But wouldn't he rather be hitting wedge?

Until someone can supply the data, all of this is an opinion, some get good results, others do not. But MCC is a long way from proving the results of $1000 shafts. Opinions are welcome here, experiences too, bashing another member is not. Just ask Rocky1, if you can.

I don't think anyone in this thread has a right to even comment on the Ozik shafts until they have tried one that has been properly fitted for them. How can you say something is overpriced or just flat out ridiculous if you haven't even tried it? I have one and I'm just starting to test it. So far, when comparing it to my Grafalloy Axis...the distance is the about the same but the accuracy is must better. I have hit balls all over the face that have no place finding the fairway and end up going straight. In another comparision, the Grafalloy Axis was superior in every aspect over my previous matte blue Diamana 73x. Smoke and mirrors? I can see what you mean but I don't really agree with it. If you read some of the chat transcripts there are some really detailed questions asked and MCC does provide substanial answers. $1,000 for a shaft is pretty insane when I first heard it. On a cost benefit analysis it would not be worth the price from the results I've seen so far, but then again I didn't pay anywhere clost to $1k. I think the shaft is revolutionary and will give other manufacturers something to chase after in terms of a shaft that is super accurate while slightly increasing distance. Kevin Na increased his distance by 15-20 yards over his previous shaft according to Matrix. As for the Diamana being just another Mitsubishi Rayon shaft well yes in sorts it is. The MR Shaqx was its predesessor so yes it has that influence in its design.

I don't think anyone in this thread has a right to even comment on the Ozik shafts until they have tried one that has been properly fitted for them. How can you say something is overpriced or just flat out ridiculous if you haven't even tried it? I have one and I'm just starting to test it. So far, when comparing it to my Grafalloy Axis...the distance is the about the same but the accuracy is must better. I have hit balls all over the face that have no place finding the fairway and end up going straight. In another comparision, the Grafalloy Axis was superior in every aspect over my previous matte blue Diamana 73x. Smoke and mirrors? I can see what you mean but I don't really agree with it. If you read some of the chat transcripts there are some really detailed questions asked and MCC does provide substanial answers. $1,000 for a shaft is pretty insane when I first heard it. On a cost benefit analysis it would not be worth the price from the results I've seen so far, but then again I didn't pay anywhere clost to $1k. I think the shaft is revolutionary and will give other manufacturers something to chase after in terms of a shaft that is super accurate while slightly increasing distance. Kevin Na increased his distance by 15-20 yards over his previous shaft according to Matrix. As for the Diamana being just another Mitsubishi Rayon shaft well yes in sorts it is. The MR Shaqx was its predesessor so yes it has that influence in its design.

Kevin Na Driving Stats:

'06 - 279.4

'05 - 280.5

'04 - 280.1

Twenty yards huh? Next.....

It's a discussion forum full of opinons, every member has a 'right' to post so long as they follow the rules. But since you brought it up, I don't think anyone has the right to make a post that insinuates whether or not another member has had a Matrix properly fitted for them. And you certainly do not have the right here to openly pass judgement on other member or what post has rights or not. So unless you have some proof of who has or has not hit the shaft and whether or not it was fitted, keep your comments to yourself.

For all of you smart people out there who think $1000 is not overpriced, what is MCC's cost? What was the dealer cost when the product was released? Did it go down? More than once? And just how many $1000 shafts have dealers sold? I'm not saying MCC has to share the info, I am not saying they can't keep their high price. There's just too much hype not proof in their pudding.

I never once bashed the shaft for its performance, I simply pointed out that MCC and other companies have a tough time rationalizing their price to the consumer. So far, no one has made a sensible argument that they have. KJ Choi this and Kevn Na that, yes, they seem to be more accurate and have very good accuracy numbers. If you want, credit MCC for the superior shaft with less side spin. I already gave them that. But the distance claims so far posted here and elsewhere are either a stretch of the truth or the golfer in question was probably not fit properly in the first place.

Only thing I could find is this press release with Olazabal's stats, which is copied below.

Brea, CA, October 25, 2005 -- For nearly 3 years, a Spanish golf icon has been held out of the winner's circle. On Sunday, October 23, Matrix Ozik helped him break that winless streak. The Spaniard, a two-time Masters Champion who took 3rd at this year's British Open, shot 66 in the final round to best Sergio Garcia and win the Mallorca Classic by five strokes. The win is the player's first title since winning the Buick Invitational in 2002. In his win, the MacGregor staffer played the new Matrix Ozik TP-7x in his MacGregor Eye-O-Matic driver.

After averaging around 269 yards in 2003, this player began experimenting with new shafts in 2004. Just before the 2005 season, he found something special in a new Matrix prototype shaft, which would later become the Ozik TP-7x and give birth to the Ozik franchise. Since making the switch, the Spaniard, usually known for his precise iron play, has averaged 288.2 yards off the driver, a net gain of 19 yards. This has not hurt is accuracy, as his Fairways Hit numbers have climbed from 57% to 59.1% since last year. With these improvements, the golf legend has seen his earnings go from $495,050 in 2004 to over $2 million in 2005. His streak-ending win at Mallorca comes after near misses at the British Open (3rd), the BellSouth Classic (lost in playoff), and the Shell Houston Open (3rd).

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Only thing I could find is this press release with Olazabal's stats, which is copied below.

Brea, CA, October 25, 2005 -- For nearly 3 years, a Spanish golf icon has been held out of the winner's circle. On Sunday, October 23, Matrix Ozik helped him break that winless streak. The Spaniard, a two-time Masters Champion who took 3rd at this year's British Open, shot 66 in the final round to best Sergio Garcia and win the Mallorca Classic by five strokes. The win is the player's first title since winning the Buick Invitational in 2002. In his win, the MacGregor staffer played the new Matrix Ozik TP-7x in his MacGregor Eye-O-Matic driver.

After averaging around 269 yards in 2003, this player began experimenting with new shafts in 2004. Just before the 2005 season, he found something special in a new Matrix prototype shaft, which would later become the Ozik TP-7x and give birth to the Ozik franchise. Since making the switch, the Spaniard, usually known for his precise iron play, has averaged 288.2 yards off the driver, a net gain of 19 yards. This has not hurt is accuracy, as his Fairways Hit numbers have climbed from 57% to 59.1% since last year. With these improvements, the golf legend has seen his earnings go from $495,050 in 2004 to over $2 million in 2005. His streak-ending win at Mallorca comes after near misses at the British Open (3rd), the BellSouth Classic (lost in playoff), and the Shell Houston Open (3rd).

Or is it another case of indian not the arrow? Thank you Butch Harmon.

Someone on that other site had a breakdown of that beloved shaft with a number of people hitting it on the LM and the results were.

LESS SIDE SPIN

Distance was EQUAL to or LESS then current setup... for the slow that means NO INCREASE IN DISTANCE

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven