2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Is the "other site" done for good? (Merged)

thepeak

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:07 AM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

That's a good point. I haven't heard anyone else say they received an email from them but myself. I'm curious to know of the people who were members over there, who received an email?
[/quote]
I have not.

[quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:07 AM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

That's a good point. I haven't heard anyone else say they received an email from them but myself. I'm curious to know of the people who were members over there, who received an email?
[/quote]

I was insider, never posted much and never bought anything (except on BST) - never got any kind of email. Actually joined as insider becasue I thought I must be missing something......with exception of some petter7 post, not much.

[quote name='MiGolf' post='2047021' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:08 AM'][quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:07 AM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

[/quote]
I have not.
[/quote]
I haven't.

[quote name='tcmgator' post='2047020' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:08 AM']Has anyone thought that maybe they are leaving the site down on purpose to generate hype for the relaunch via discussion groups such as this one?[/quote]
1. Not that bright
2. Gonna cause them alot of problems for people who have paid for insider memberships, BST listings, etc
3. Most of the people in this thread would not purchase from them anyway nor would they begin posting there again..
4. I hope most have now seen and heard more about the "inside" workings and change their mind about where they spend their time and money.

I think this did much more harm than good...

Finished reading all 13 pages, it took me quite a while. And while some of the threads were nonsense, if nothing else it opened my eyes to what I figured was already going on.

I applaud WRX for keeping this thread open, if for no other reason then to be a way for those who may not know all of BSG's history/background/issues to become better informed.

I used to frequent that site quite a bit, then a couple years back they mentioned WRX as one of the reputable sites so I came over here. Only took a couple months before I stopped going to BSG more than one or twice a month. I have not been on that site in probably a year and really have not missed anything except a bunch of threads that look like this...

WHITE HOT! CHECK OUT THE NEW SHAFT DU JOUR by Todd.

Oh, speaking of my made up thread above, I remember when they were soliciting members to see what the next secret Matrix color should be and many people posted that a white shaft would be awesome. The BSG guys sat there and said how it makes the shaft look slow, and would get dirty, and basically chastise those who suggested white as a shaft. Then guess what, Fubuki and Matrix came out with white shafts and were the hot shaft. I'm sure all those threads have since been deleted.

[quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2047029' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:13 AM'][quote name='tcmgator' post='2047020' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:08 AM']Has anyone thought that maybe they are leaving the site down on purpose to generate hype for the relaunch via discussion groups such as this one?[/quote]
1. Not that bright
2. Gonna cause them alot of problems for people who have paid for insider memberships, BST listings, etc
3. Most of the people in this thread would not purchase from them anyway nor would they begin posting there again..
4. I hope most have now seen and heard more about the "inside" workings and change their mind about where they spend their time and money.

I think this did much more harm than good...
[/quote]

Touche

Right now there are 82 users reading a 14 page thread. interesting indeed!

God Bless
Jer

PXG 3011X Gen 4 w/ ????
M5 T.I. 14* w/ Aldila STX Tour Green 85TX
????
4-PW Mizuno 919 Hot Metal Pro w/ Modus 130X
52* Cobra MIM/ Modus 130X
58* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
64* TM Hi Toe w/ Modus 130X
???? w/BGT Stability Shaft/Tour Quad Proto

I found this forum via BSG.
I wasn't a prolific poster on BSG by any stretch however I did browse several times each day and enjoyed the pics and threads, many by people much more informed that me (hence my reason for not posting so much).

I have read every post in this thread as I was concerned about the future of BSG. I am quite astonished at some of the practices that have gone on over there over the years and can see why people have such strong opinions on it.

I'm going to stick around over here and eneavour to contribute more.

So in the absence of an introduction section (well, I haven't seen one yet), and seeing that there is a huge number of people readin this, hello everyone!

[quote name='stevelockie' post='2047195' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:42 AM']I found this forum via BSG.
I wasn't a prolific poster on BSG by any stretch however I did browse several times each day and enjoyed the pics and threads, many by people much more informed that me (hence my reason for not posting so much).

I have read every post in this thread as I was concerned about the future of BSG. I am quite astonished at some of the practices that have gone on over there over the years and can see why people have such strong opinions on it.

So in the absence of an introduction section (well, I haven't seen one yet), and seeing that there is a huge number of people readin this, hello everyone![/quote]

Welcome to GolfWRX! I think you will enjoy your time here. Here's the Member Intro section for future reference [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53[/url].

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

[quote name='HotWired' post='2047250' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:12 AM'][quote name='tcmgator' post='2047020' date='Nov 5 2009, 06:08 AM']Has anyone thought that maybe they are leaving the site down on purpose to generate hype for the relaunch via discussion groups such as this one?[/quote]

Yeah, I'd like "Really, really horribly bad ideas" for $800, Alex.
[/quote]
I read that and had to go watch Celebrity Jeopardy.

[quote name='JoeF' post='2047131' date='Nov 5 2009, 10:08 AM']BSG had problems with the air conditioning in their server room causing the server to go down. They have added a redundant system to prevent this from happening in the future. Here's a picture of that new system[/quote]

Bahahahhahahaha. That's about the set up you would have to be run to have your website down for 2 weeks now. I was on BSG for about an hour before I figured out it was a giant set up to sell a bunch of stuff that few should even try to play. Found Wrx and have never looked back. I would love to see them comeback, if nothing else to see if they contuine to run their business in a similar manner.

[quote name='OpusX20' post='2047244' date='Nov 5 2009, 04:08 PM'][quote name='stevelockie' post='2047195' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:42 AM']I found this forum via BSG.

So in the absence of an introduction section (well, I haven't seen one yet), and seeing that there is a huge number of people readin this, hello everyone![/quote]

Welcome to GolfWRX! I think you will enjoy your time here. Here's the Member Intro section for future reference [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showforum=53[/url].
[/quote]

Thank you very much, I will post a little something in the intro section.

[quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 02:07 PM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

[/quote]

I haven't been on BSG for that long and haven't got many posts there, but I got the e-mail. Don't know why I would get it over anyone else.

I do think this thread is great though - it has kept me entertained for days now. The Pinemeadow link is the highlight of my time on any forum anywhere - truly hilarious.

Dave

I know that this might not seem like a big deal to some, but I paid for a BST listing and had a buyer whom I was communicating with via Pm's regarding a driver I was selling, I have no way to get the buyers info as he hasnt sent paypal yet, so its a total incovience.

In reading some of the stories here im flabergasted, I know that when I tried to post it always said " your post will be reviewed by a moderator" I dunno what that was about I just assumed it did that for everyone, but I guess thats not the case

[quote name='MiGolf' post='2047021' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:08 AM'][quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:07 AM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

[/quote]
I have not.
[/quote]

I have not.

[quote name='HeadonaStick' post='2047329' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:47 AM'][quote name='MiGolf' post='2047021' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:08 AM'][quote name='elrey23' post='2047017' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:07 AM'][quote name='smithjohnjr' post='2046992' date='Nov 5 2009, 07:47 AM']A friend brought up an interesting point - if their data has been corrupted, how do they have some email addresses to send people notifications of why they are down?[/quote]

[/quote]
I have not.
[/quote]

I have not.
[/quote]

I did get an email and I'm not an insider or anything like that.

Jorge

[quote name='David Hillman' post='2046349' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:25 AM'][quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2046228' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:28 PM']It just makes no sense to me. Instead, it looks more like someone failed to pay to renew the name registration; or someone failed to fay for hosting services and they are just stalling until they can get the money to pay. On the more extreme side, they have been sued, or have filed for bankruptcy.

Anyway, I'm just curious to find out what the real story is because "corrupt data" on both the server and backup server doesn't sound right to me.

(But I think I may be the only one interested in this aspect of the whole thing.)[/quote]

The alleged story definitely does not make sense.  I am an IT guy, so I can tell you that their name registration is paid-up through 2014 ( not a big outlay, less than $20/year ).  However, it appears to me that they have not paid for this hosting service and/or connection, based on what I see.  The symptoms I can see remotely are definitely not consistent with corrupt data, or anything similar.

You alluded to, IMO, the only other plausible scenario; which is that they were sued, and 'yanked the plug from the wall' in a panic.
[/quote]

Makes sense. I've been a member there since early 2003 and left (how do You DELETE your profile on a forum BTW) when WRX was born and joined here immediately. Received some paranoid PM's from Toad regarding my eventual involvement in smack-talk posting against BSG (!) here. What a truly truly sad story.

I won't miss them.
Had my share of arrogance and overpriced purchases from them.

Nevertheless, this thread is entertaining :)

BTW, I'm late to the party, so please someone post the link to the Pinemeadow story :)

My bag
TM SIM2 Max driver, G425 Max woods, Titleist 818 hybrid, Srixon Z565 irons, Vokey SM7 wedges, Yes Tracy III putter

Anyone know where Adammull is? I miss that guy. The 3 wood thread was epic!

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

Theres nothing more wrong than a forum run by a fascist dictator.

Kinda sad when you cant post an honest opinion let alone the truth and he still removes and bans.

Maybe we can hire a "Server Assassin" to put BSG out of its misery and do the Web a favor :D

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Speeder 757 Evo TS X

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

[quote name='teddymolt' post='2047334' date='Nov 5 2009, 08:49 AM']Pinemeadow was but a candle in the wind to the 3wood thread Tony. :angry:

Quick check of about 8 screenames, I didn't get the email either. I wonder if I will get it sometime between 2033-2038?[/quote]

The three wood thread was epic, Teddy, you are right. It spawned the mockery of "high flat bombs that hit the ground running," and "butter fades," and all that. The difference was, pinemeadow was my effort to autoban, and mock Mehul's impotence, on the day my Insider status expired. It was beautiful, and since GD is hosted on an Amiga and not a Commodore 64, it will live on forever. :hugs:

[quote name='dolleris' post='2047370' date='Nov 5 2009, 05:04 PM'][quote name='David Hillman' post='2046349' date='Nov 5 2009, 03:25 AM'][quote name='Harry Longshanks' post='2046228' date='Nov 4 2009, 07:28 PM']It just makes no sense to me. Instead, it looks more like someone failed to pay to renew the name registration; or someone failed to fay for hosting services and they are just stalling until they can get the money to pay. On the more extreme side, they have been sued, or have filed for bankruptcy.

Anyway, I'm just curious to find out what the real story is because "corrupt data" on both the server and backup server doesn't sound right to me.

(But I think I may be the only one interested in this aspect of the whole thing.)[/quote]

The alleged story definitely does not make sense. I am an IT guy, so I can tell you that their name registration is paid-up through 2014 ( not a big outlay, less than $20/year ). However, it appears to me that they have not paid for this hosting service and/or connection, based on what I see. The symptoms I can see remotely are definitely not consistent with corrupt data, or anything similar.

You alluded to, IMO, the only other plausible scenario; which is that they were sued, and 'yanked the plug from the wall' in a panic.
[/quote]

Makes sense. I've been a member there since early 2003 and left (how do You DELETE your profile on a forum BTW) when WRX was born and joined here immediately. Received some paranoid PM's from Toad regarding my eventual involvement in smack-talk posting against BSG (!) here. What a truly truly sad story.

I won't miss them.
Had my share of arrogance and overpriced purchases from them.

Nevertheless, this thread is entertaining :)

BTW, I'm late to the party, so please someone post the link to the Pinemeadow story :)
[/quote]

Here you go....

[url="http://www.golfdiscussions.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,16744.0.html"]http://www.golfdiscussions.com/yabbse/inde...ic,16744.0.html[/url]

...priceless.

Dave