KZG, Scratch Golf..... How do they stack up?

apocalypsem3

Edit: A question about KZG ZO / Bridgestone J33B comparison inside.
Hey guys. I came across a club company called KZG and I've never heard of them before. How do their products stack up against custom club builders like Scratch company?

Also, I've read many raving reviews on Scratch Irons and Miura Irons. I was wondering how Scratch, KZG, and the infamous "Miura" irons compare to each other in quality, feel, and forgiveness, ..... etc.

I am particularly interested in KZG ZO Blades, Miura Tournament Blades and Scratch Blades. I currently play Bridgestone J33B, which according to some people is pretty demanding club. I was wondering if any of you had tried these three irons and could compare them in feel, forgiveness, ball flight, offset, topline, clubhead size... etc. Thanks.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KZGolf has been around for quite a few years. However, KZGolf is essentially an OEM except that they are sold primarily thru clubfitters or places like the PGA Superstore, etc...They sell the head and the fitter builds it up...

Many of their blade offerings over the years have received great reviews for playability and durability. The ZO Blade when it came out, was an attempt to get a blade on the market that had zero offset from 2-PW and still be a playable club for everyone.

The Evolution iron was their answer to the Pro-Combo for those that hated the PC iron and/or Nike at the time.

Their newer irons are pretty nice (MCII and PCIII are my favorites)

They came out with the DF (Dual-Face) driver (Gemini), which was one of two on the market (Nicklaus was the other) and plenty of people still play that head.

The Cobalt, CHII and RBT drivers and woods are very good at literally any price...

Their wedges were pretty soft and had some interesting grinds.

Only issue was the putters, and they have since corrected that issue by offering a short plumbers neck to the public...

Only issue that you might face is the price point, simply because the fitters like to charge OEM prices for what is essentially a component club...so the resell will be crap also...

First off, KZG is not a "knock off" or cheap component company. They are non-mainstream OEM. I have the KZG Gemini driver and it beats the crap out of my twice as expensive Titleist 905T. hands down, the KZG has a much hotter face. In fact, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gemini 3 wood really soon.

KZG irons are top quality and very good as well.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

First off, KZG is not a "knock off" or cheap component company. They are non-mainstream OEM. I have the KZG Gemini driver and it beats the crap out of my twice as expensive Titleist 905T. hands down, the KZG has a much hotter face. In fact, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on a Gemini 3 wood really soon.

KZG irons are top quality and very good as well.

would totally agree with you kzg is top quality -gemini is one of the best drivers out there and the evolution irons are the equal or better than some of the top forgings out there- i have tried or owned most of the top -titliest-taylormade-callaway drivers in the market but the gemini is longer and straighter with the right combo than all the others= :)

I have a set of the Scratch Proto blades that look very similar to KZG ZO blades. I don't know enough about KZG to comment but the Scratch blades are super soft. I love the fact that I can order the clubs with any desired loft, lie, finish, paintfill, stamping and shafts. I've only have had the Protos for about 2 months but I love the clubs so much I've just ordered a set of the Tour Blades from Scratch with dancing Scratch logo and the iron number high on the heel (clean sole) with the TT Black Gold shafts. The finish will be Japan Satin finish.

Anyone have the web links to their home pages? KZG and Scratch Golf? I've found Miura's page.

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

My clubmaker is a KZG fitter. I've owned 3 sets of KZG. Each set has been bought from me from my buddies. All of the irons I've had were excellent. The Gemini driver and fairways are top notch and I own the new GF4 driver (movable weight). Also excellent with a Fuji TW64 in it. They have a new forged cavity back coming out in the next 3 or 4 weeks. The only complaint I have is their putters. You can do better on the putters, but the irons are outstanding.

I regret to this day I sold my Evolutions. I didn't have the game for them a couple of years ago. Now I do. I'm scheming on how to get the new KZGs into the house without being seen.... you can usually do a search on their site and find a clubfitter close to you. Or, if you want I can have you place in contact with mine and maybe he can help you. The man is a wizard (KZG Certified Master Clubfitter). There are only a few of them in the USA.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

My clubmaker is a KZG fitter. I've owned 3 sets of KZG. Each set has been bought from me from my buddies. All of the irons I've had were excellent. The Gemini driver and fairways are top notch and I own the new GF4 driver (movable weight). Also excellent with a Fuji TW64 in it. They have a new forged cavity back coming out in the next 3 or 4 weeks. The only complaint I have is their putters. You can do better on the putters, but the irons are outstanding.

I regret to this day I sold my Evolutions. I didn't have the game for them a couple of years ago. Now I do. I'm scheming on how to get the new KZGs into the house without being seen.... you can usually do a search on their site and find a clubfitter close to you. Or, if you want I can have you place in contact with mine and maybe he can help you. The man is a wizard (KZG Certified Master Clubfitter). There are only a few of them in the USA.

my local guy also is a KZG clubbuilder and he plays all KZG clubs with the bag as well. The irons look sweet, but I have never tried them. He said they have great forgings

I have owned a set of the KZG forged blades (not the ZO's) with harrison professional S3 shafts that were cryoforged as well. They were fantastic irons and definately as good as any forging on the market. I also owned a set of the forged II-M's that were great as well. Both sets were butter smooth with alot of bite on the greens. One thing that I would really like to point out about all KZG forged irons (and some of the casted models) is that they have a very nice thin top line. Even in the II-M's which are supposed to be there more forgiving line of irons they have a nice thin top line. They are avaliable in satin and chrome finish as well! I currently play the I5's because I am a huge ping fan but if I ever get the bug to play with forged irons again, they will definately be KZG. I might give mizuno a look but for the money, feel, and performance you get from KZG irons, they are pretty much impossible to beat.

I recently saw the KZG irons in a club fitters shop. After eyeing them up for a few minutes, I asked to hit them. I never hit a 3 iron so pure in my life. The feel that came to my hands was amazing. I purchased the KZG forged II irons five minutes later. I've been playing with them since february of this year and I don't think I'll ever switch. Great, great clubs!!!!

KZG is a good iron, I think people really love KZG because it is one of the companies that basically makes you get fit, before you can buy a set of irons. The clubheads are cheap, and they pretty much only sell to clubmakers, who make their margin by selling you the shaft and club assembly. I think people typically LOVE KZG because they got properly fit, hence they play better.

I would NOT put them in the same category as Scratch golf. I would think of Scratch as the next level of personalization. Think of KZG as a customized Yamaha R6, and Scratch Golf as Jesse James West Coast Choppers. You can trick out an OEM streetbike, but no matter what you do, it will never be a fully customized Jesse James original Diablo...

KZG makes quality heads, certainly better ones that you can find in most component offerings, like "snake eyes" or other heads in the Golfsmith catalog. However, the forgings aren't as good as Scratch golf, you can't get customized shape and sole, finish, or stampings. you get what comes out of the box, which is a quality product, you can personalize up to a degree, (lie +/- 2 degrees, shaft, length, grip) and your game will probably be better for it. With Scratch, you can customize anything! Do you NEED to customize everything? probably not. But need and desire are 2 seperate beasts, and if people only got what they need, Porsche would be out of business. Instead they are the most PROFITABLE automobile company in the world.

• 1 year later...