Lost love for the NV

slicer365

Why???
I've noticed that there has been tons of negative feedback on them. I love them I think they are the best shafts around. Why all the hostility??? Many of the same folks that are dogging them, were loving them a couple of months ago. It's funny how a new piece of equipment comes out and the older equipment sucks. Guys think about it.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts are that the vast majority of amateur golfers just cannot hit this shaft reliably. It's pretty stiff in the tip, with a "mid kick", which requires a pretty hard hit at the ball.

I think that was why the NVS was introduced - for us mere "mortals" of the golf swing. This makes me wonder if Aldila's stockprice will fall!? They were riding high for the last 2-3 years based on very positive press.

its not that they suck, but shafts are being offered that are as good or better for less money, and more appealing colors (biggest complaint with the nv was the pi$$ green color - and i still have them in two clubs). with as much as your spending its not too much more for something more exotic.

its still a great shaft, although i will admit, i've become less and less of a fan of the nv-65. the nv-75 is still great, but the nv-65, for me, doesn't perform well in 460 drivers.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

The NV's a top quality shaft, and the fact that you can get it available from just about every OEM now is awesome. It's definately better quality than the OEM's stock shafts (other than perhaps the Titleist Speeder).

However, it's got a very tip stiff butt soft bend profile. That's a profile that requires either a lot of lag on the downswing or a pretty hard load at the top (neither of which the average golfer does well). Also with most of the golfing public having difficulty hitting the ball high enough, the tip stiff NV isn't going to help things out.

It's still a great shaft, but with other shaft companies like UST, Graphite Designs, and Fujikura starting to be offered at no upcharge through OEM's the market got a lot more crowded.

the NV is a great shaft that needs alot of power to load. the problem and reason for the negative feedback by alot of people is that fact that because it is offers by alot of OEM's people are buying the NV in their drivers without trying it out or not getting fit properly also i know a bunch of sales people at big box stores say that the shaft is a good upgrade and the joe shmoe who is buying the driver wants the shafts that he

A) see's people playing and

B) is being told is a better option then the shaft that is from the OEM

the average player cant reap the benifits of the shaft and then thats where the negative feedback comes from.

BTW i have this shaft NV75 in my G2 and i love it

I think in the right head, it is a great shaft. I have gotten wonderful results with it in my Comp. It was not very solid in the Launcher 4W. Got a Vista Pro 70 tipped a little bit and I have been hitting rockets with it.

It takes a pretty solid swing with a good ammount of swing speed to really get the most out of this shaft. Better players will like it with the right clubhead. I prefered the V2 65 in the Hi-bore head, the NV just did not feel right.

For a "stock" or "no upcharge" shaft ... it is one of the best.

Titleist 915D3 | Rogue Black 70
Titleist 915F | Rogue Black 80
Titleist 915H | Diamana D+ 90
Mizuno MP-53 | KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX | DG S200
Taylor Made Ghost Spider

Good thread...I have an NV65 in my driver (Cobra 460SZ) that I used to hit pretty well until I got my swing smoothed out with a lesson package. Now I hit the irons great, but the driver is a low draw that does half of it's traveling on the ground. I had been thinking that I needed more loft, but now I'm thinking it's the shaft.

So, for those of us that don't load up at the top and don't swing over 100 mph, where is a good place to start looking? UST, Fuji and V2 have been mentioned. Can anyone offer a specific recommendation for a softer tip shaft that favors a smooth swing and won't break the bank?

It's hard to make a decision without hitting them but it's hard to find enough other shafts to demo locally.

The Graffalloy Blue Pro Launch is a great Low Kick soft tip shaft that really launches the ball high. I've loved it in an Adams 430Q and a Callaway FT-3 but I'm no techno-gear-geek that really understands all the specifics. I just know that I hit the FT-3 with the Aldila and didn't like it but same clubhead with the Pro Launch was WOW....high and long.

Testing a Tour Ignite today & I realize just how much I still love the NV. Can not replicate the feel & performance of it. Obviously if you hit a low fade its not an ideal shaft & I really get annoyed with a low ball hitter says its "crap" In essence, thats the same as a guy with a 36" waist complaining about the size of a 32" pair of jeans!!

Cally Epic Custom Black with Diamana Whiteboard
TM M2 DF 16.5 with Fuji Pro 95
TM R7 ALE 7 Wood with Fuji Pro 95
Cobra CBs 3 - 5 & MBs 6 - 9 with C-Taper 120-S
Scratch 49* 54* 59* TD with DG S-400
Nike 006 Prototype (No Sightline) / Scotty Button Back

I think some people expect the NV to handle a wide range of swings, since it's now basically a stock shaft for most OEM's. The shaft isn't like the other stock shafts, and requires a more consistent repeating swing. I also think it does depend on the driver head that you use it with. Some heads are more forgiving with it while others aren't. I've got 2 drivers with the NV65-S shaft in them. I've got it fairly dialed in with my Launcher 400, but I still need more work with my Callaway X-460. The X-460 has the shaft bored in the head farther, thus making the shaft seem even stiffer than the one in my Launcher 400.

While I think the shaft is a good shaft, I'm just not completely sold that it fits my swing the best. Although, the NV65 does fit my swing better than most of the other "stock" shafts out there. Could also be that a lot of people who picked the NV shaft in their driver didn't realize the recommended swing speed range for an S flex was between 100 and 110 mph. That's a higher swing speed than most shafts play. Not to mention the higher kick point with the lower launch that the shaft is geared to create.

As for the color, green is one of my favorite colors, so it doesn't bother me. Heck, if the shaft helped me hit consistently long and straight, it could be pink for all I care. :)

I just played my first full weekend of golf (3 rds) with this shaft in a Ping G5 10.5....NV 65 - stiff.

Let me tell you how often I put my drive right down the middle with a soft 5 yd draw, too often. I was either the longest drive in the group or 2nd longest by 5 yds to a gorilla golf swinger. And I was in the middle of the fairway all weekend.

I also drove the green on a 318 yd par 4, uphill by about 8 ft, with a slight tail wind. My chip for eagle was from the back fringe.

The golfers in my group all 3 rds were commenting on how amazing my driving was. I don't know if it was the shaft or the G5, but this is the best driver/shaft combo I have ever hit.

It gets dissed because it's become common and boring....it's kind of like the UST Proforce 65 of 2005/2006. Every old fart and his mom is hitting NV no matter how ill-fitting it is.

I'm not so fond of it because it still costs me over $100CDN wholesale but is totally worthless as a pullout. I might as well trade my stack of used NV's for a MAS2 because they are worth about the same $. :)