2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I have the swing speed of a power puff girl. SOS

How realistic is it, to increase swing speed?
I was amazed with the swing speed of my game.I have seen allot of discussion of club head speed,
angle of attack,ball speed ect.., so i went to the PGA superstore and swung a driver in the simulator there
to just get an idea of where my ss was at as compared to what i have seen on this forum.I must admit i'm
a wimp i.e. POWER PUFF----- no SS to brag about at all :ok:. If my memory serves my top speed was 105 :bb:, my friends was a wopping 114 was hitting the rock like 310 to 325, i thing i remember seeing 345
on his first swing :bb: albeit he takes the club back as far as JD,not the most consistent swing ever.

I have alway's been thought of as a pretty long hitter :bb:, but after that,i almost don't wana play anymore :),i do realize that distance isn't everything, but after seeing his speed compared to mine,i
wanted to crawl in a hole and hide :), so i guess my ? is WTF, can a person of reasonable athletic
talent, really increase there SS with the right drills and training with some significant increase in numbers?

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated, Not so long but strait Gmonster

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

105 sure isn't a girly swing speed.

Some other "power puff girls" (besides me :)): Luke Donald, Jim Furyk, Fred Funk.

Golf's about scoring, you don't have to carry the ball 290+ to do that.

However, if you want to increase your swing speed, you've got to get stronger and more flexible. Get with a trainer who has experience in golf specific exercises and work on you flexibility, strength, and explosiveness.

Also, get with your PGA pro and make sure you're getting as much as you can out of your swing. The more lag you can put into your swing and the more coil you can make, the more power you will be able to transfer into the ball and the farther you will hit it.

Hope that helps, and even though you're not where you want to be, you're still way ahead of the curve for most golfers. :ok:

1. Become more flexible

2. Get stronger.

The easiest way to gain yards is to get a bigger turn. Getting that left shoulder all the way under your chin (90 degrees from the target) is key.

BTW.... with a 114 swing speed, No way your friend is hitting it 345, MAYBE 300 with really low spin numbers. My swing speed is around 136 mph and I have to pure it to get it out there 345 yards. Granted my spin numbers COULD be lower... i do alright.

BTW, 105 is average so dont get down.

The more lag you can put into your swing and the more coil you can make, the more power you will be able to transfer into the ball and the farther you will hit it.

That thought alone convinced me to change my swing and although I havn't tested it on a monitor again yet I am sure my SS has increased. Just the sound alone when I make contact tells me so not to mention the distance! The one and only time I tested my SS, (Poppy Ridge, special thanks to Johnny!) it was around 95 so yours is looking fine imo.

1. Become more flexible

2. Get stronger.

The easiest way to gain yards is to get a bigger turn. Getting that left shoulder all the way under your chin (90 degrees from the target) is key.

BTW.... with a 114 swing speed, No way your friend is hitting it 345, MAYBE 300 with really low spin numbers. My swing speed is around 136 mph and I have to pure it to get it out there 345 yards. Granted my spin numbers COULD be lower... i do alright.

Thanks to all so far for your input :ok:, is there anyone out there who has not had such a great SS in the beginning but used some type of drill or practice aid and got an increase in there numbers? By the way MidWest

is that on a simulator, or on the course? I had to ask the guy's how the SS was determined in the simulator

and he told me that it was by the( speed of the Gball hitting the screen).Are most simulators like this and if so

how accurate are they? BTW----- FYI i was so stupefied by those numbers, that i decided to swing the club,with

my left hand only, and the simulator registered between 87-93 :) i'm very confused about it all.

Gmonster HIT'EM LONG AND STRAIT

1. Become more flexible

2. Get stronger.

Thanks to all so far for your input :ok:, is there anyone out there who has not had such a great SS in the beginning but used some type of drill or practice aid and got an increase in there numbers? By the way MidWest

is that on a simulator, or on the course? I had to ask the guy's how the SS was determined in the simulator

and he told me that it was by the( speed of the Gball hitting the screen).Are most simulators like this and if so

how accurate are they? BTW----- FYI i was so stupefied by those numbers, that i decided to swing the club,with

my left hand only, and the simulator registered between 87-93 :) i'm very confused about it all.

Gmonster HIT'EM LONG AND STRAIT

My launch monitor numbers from my last driver fitting are 136 w/ 199mph ball speed but VERY HIGH SPIN(Need a different shaft) and i was flying the ball around 320-330 yards plus roll out.

A drill i do with my junior is the 90* turn drill with their hands.

Stand in an athletic stance like you would to hit a golf ball. Put both of your arms out in front of you parallel to the ground with your hands flat together. You make almost an arrow or a pointer with your hands.

Now, turn your body and hips so that the arrow is pointing 180* away from the target (90* turn from starting point) Pause, and then turn your body and arms so that your arrow is pointing at the target. Do this all while keeping your head still and you will groove how to turn through the shot.

My launch monitor numbers from my last driver fitting are 136 w/ 199mph ball speed but VERY HIGH SPIN(Need a different shaft) and i was flying the ball around 320-330 yards plus roll out.

Sorry for the slight thread jack, but I've gotta ask this question.

If you're CARRYING the ball 320-330 + roll, with a golf course swing and normal driver, why aren't you doing LDA stuff??? With a 50 inch shaft, you should easily be able to CARRY 1 out of 6 350+ with your swing.

Zuback and those guys barely carry the ball those distances with super long shafts . . .

Sorry for the slight thread jack, but I've gotta ask this question.

If you're CARRYING the ball 320-330 + roll, with a golf course swing and normal driver, why aren't you doing LDA stuff??? With a 50 inch shaft, you should easily be able to CARRY 1 out of 6 350+ with your swing.

Zuback and those guys barely carry the ball those distances with super long shafts . . .

I entered a long drive competition in Denver with one of my friends for craps and giggles with my Regular lenght 45" driver and hit one 414yards. I got like 15th place or something but wasnt that far behind the leaders.

It just isnt that big of a goal for me. I have a good job and golf is a hobby(now, used to be my career)

If 105 is power puff, I'm in serious trouble cause my goal is to get to 105. I thought that the average swing speed was a lot lower than 105 based on Frank Thomas's statements that average driving distance was 192 yds. That'll teach me to think.

I agree with MidWestPro on getting stronger and more flexible. I do a lot of core exercises and balance exercises and it's improved my ss slowly but surely. Unfortunately in the battle with Father Time I sure to lose, but at least I can delay the effects for a while.

If 105 is power puff, I'm in serious trouble cause my goal is to get to 105. I thought that the average swing speed was a lot lower than 105 based on Frank Thomas's statements that average driving distance was 192 yds. That'll teach me to think.

105 is FAR from average. After working in the golf world for several years, I can tell you that the average customer that I saw had a swing speed of about 90. They all told you that it was 100+ but the launch monitor or radar told a much different story. People tend to exaggerate...I take distance claims on golf boards with a grain of salt...