MacGregor MACTEC Forged M685

MacGregor MACTEC Forged M685 Irons with Rifle 5.5 Steel Shafts

Forged irons are perhaps the most misunderstood clubs in golf. Their prevalence in the bags of low handicappers over the years has created the (mis)perception that they're harder to hit. But as the M685s so brightly demonstrate, they aren't. Forging is a far more complicated process than casting, and it's worth it.

The MACTEC Forged M685s represent the next generation of forged cavity back irons. The unique hosel-face hollow-body structure, combined with the soft perimeter, high-rebound face, provides never-before-possible benefits of game improvement forgiveness along with the feel and control unique to forged golf clubs. By varying weighting locations and metal consistencies, the M685s provide easy high launch in the long irons and maximum control in the short irons.

For golfers who want the forgiveness of the most modern technologies but can totally appreciate the pure feel of forged, the M685s represent the pinnacle of both.

Variable Clubface Hardness

High rebound face. Bigger sweet spot. More forgiveness.

Induction heat treating the clubface rewards golfers for hitting it pure, without overly penalizing them for mis-hits. It's a science unto itself, whereby rapid temperature change realigns the grain structure of the metal. A coil connected to the face's center radiates heat outward, ensuring a measured transition to softness at the perimeter. The distinction is that MacGregor's heat-treating process is the metal itself. The uniform grain structure of forged carbon steel produces a uniform heat dispersion, and thus a more perfect trampoline. One that launches center shots faster and farther, while keeping off-center shots straighter, with less loss of distance.

Progressive Weighting

Localized CG. Optimal Launch.

There's an important difference between a 3-iron and a 9-iron, but there's an equally important difference between a 3-iron and a 4-iron. To achieve perfect ball flight and maximum distance for each club, MacGregor has localized the CG in the ideal position for each loft. It starts out low and deep on the 3-iron for better launch and forgiveness, and progresses higher and closer to the face through the pitching wedge for maximum playability and control.

Forged Carbon Steel

Uniform metal grain. Shot consistency. Pure feel.

Forged irons are perhaps the most misunderstood clubs in golf. Their prevalence in the bags of low handicappers over the years has created the (mis)perception that they're harder to hit. But as the M685s so brightly demonstrate, they aren't. Forging is a far more complicated process than casting, and it's worth it. The dense and uniform grain structure of forged makes it repeatable, which is why the M865s offer such a unique combination of shot consistency and feel. The next time someone says they're not good enough to play forged, tell them the truth: hard to manufacture, not to hit.

Mixed Metals

High rebound long irons. Soft short irons. Optimal distance and control.

Because long irons and short irons perform different functions, the M685s use two kinds of carbon steel within the set. For 3-6 irons, 4140 carbon steel is used to optimize the hollow body structure for easy high launch and maximum distance. In the 7-PW, a softer 1025 "low-carbon steel" is used in a solid one-piece construction for superb feel and tremendous shot-shaping capabilities.

Hosel-Face Hollow Body Structure

High rebound face. Forgiveness with one-piece feel.

One of golf's all-time greats once said, "When you hit the ball well, the sensation travels from the face to the hosel, up the shaft, through the arm and shoulder and directly into the heart." That's the inspiration behind the M685's front structure hollow body design. Typically in two-piece construction, the back is connected to the hosel. But to maintain the classic feel of one-pieced forged, the 3-6 irons were designed with the face connected to the hosel. Reap the distance and forgiveness benefits of hollow body structure, while still staying true to your heart.

Tungsten Weight Inserts

Lower CG and higher MOI. Higher launch and greater accuracy.

With molecules packed tighter together than the crowds at St. Andrews, tungsten can put high density in a small place. In the M685s, tungsten cylinders placed in the rear heel and toe localize the CG and create optimal launch properties for higher ball flight. They also heighten the MOI of the clubface for greater stability at impact and shot accuracy. If you've never stuck a long iron onto a postage stamp green, get ready.

Hall of Fame Club Designer

Artistic genius. Functional art.

If you want to shake hands with a hall of fame club maker, grip the handle of an M685 iron. As you look down at the clubhead, the strokes of Don White's artistic genius are subtly visible in the perfectly rolled leading edge, the refined top-line and the progressive muscle back. The M685s embrace future-facing technologies and root them in Don's untold years of clubmaking knowledge. Unlike most manufacturing practices, each iron is produced from a master that Don White sculpts by hand. When you hold one in your hands, it's a little slice of heaven - one that never fades.

Rifle-Flighted Lite Shafts

Progressive bend points. Optimal launch.

The M685s are designed for precision from top to bottom - which is why they feature premium Rifle-Flighted Lite shafts. The bend points in each shaft vary depending on the loft of the clubface. Long irons have a lower bend point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance. Short irons have a higher bend point for consistent trajectory, greater accuracy and more control. Weighing only 104g, they swing faster for more distance.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you know me or have been to my WITB page, then you know how many sets of irons I have...well, these are in my bag and have been since I first hit them. That's about a good of a "review" as I can give them!

I love the way these irons feel...I love the feedback they give...the shafts are a perfect match...

I actually move my hybrids out of the way to get to the long irons!

If you are in the market for a set of irons, please hit these and test them out. I would have never guessed I'd end up with a set of these in the bag, but after testing them out, that's straight where they went!

post-2657-1153174051.jpg

• 1 month later...

i've had these sticks for a month now can't say enough good things about them...also removed the hybrid 3iron from my bag...i think more than anything i really like the rifle shafts...i tested all irons and when i hit these, they just stood out in distance and feel...while forgiving, you still get the feel of a mishit...worth a rip if you're in the market for a new set...

RBallz Tour 10.5
3w G20, 5w rktballz2
19* Xhot
4-PW I20 KBS Tour S
Sabertooth w/Superstroke
52* 588RTX CB, 58* Vokey

• 1 month later...

I've played these clubs for about 6 weeks now and I couldn't be happier! I did reshaft and bend them to my specs. I haven't enjoyed the game this much as long as I've played. If you just hit them you will agree that these are great irons. The long irons are long, forgiving and they don't penalize you for mis-hits. The short irons are controlled and so soft. I am thoroughly convinced that MacGregor is the #1 golf club maker in the world and put the most technology into their clubs.

• 1 month later...

I'm absolutely in love with these sticks. I work at a golf shop, and every time I put them in people's hands, almost without fail, they love them as well. Sometimes it's tough convincing people who come in looking for Cleveland/Mizuno/etc that Macgregor is the right club, but all that i've sold have come back telling me how much they love them. And like someone said, never before have I actually looked forward to hitting a long iron, but I certainly do now. It's too bad there isn't more buzz over these.

Also, first post!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just picked up a set. Coming from Tourstage TS202 with Nippon 950GH which is a very forgiving iron with a soft feel. Amazing improvement is accuracy, no loss of distance and excellent feel. At setup, the Mac looks great and inpires confidence. Very forgiving but still requires you to pay attention which is a plus. I am very pleased with these guys.

• 2 weeks later...

I demo'd the M685 next to the equivalent clubs from Nike (CCi), TaylorMade (R7 TP) , Cleveland (CG2) and my own set (Ping G2's) and ordered them on the spot. Just instantly felt right. Just cant wait for them to come now (hopefully next week).

I have a 90mph swing on a 6iron (100 for a driver) right on the edge of stiff, so ordered the 4.5shafts that I was demo'ing. I'd rather err to the flex-side.

Daniel

• 1 month later...

Macgregor doesn't currently make a set of left-handed blades, so I had to "settle" for these irons. In retrospect, I'm very glad I did. These irons have good distance, are easy to get up in the air, and still transmit plenty of feedback on mishits. Like the other Mactec products, they do provide forgiveness, but not at the expense of feedback and control.

Great Irons, definitely worth a demo.

Update: I reported above ordering these at a demo day on a whim. Well they finally arrived a few weeks ago... fantastic is all I can say. I have won prizes in all of the 4 tournaments I have played with them in and scored my best ever round of 80 with them (16.7 HCP). I particularly like the sole/bounce of the clubs, they are "sharp" and cut through the turf if you want them to or pick the ball off the turf, but dont dig in. If you do hit the fat, you lose distance but not line. Same distance as the Ping G2 I swapped from, but definitely more accurate, due to the bounce easier to play on the course and a less ballooning flight. Great clubs. Daniel

I played Ping I5 irons all of last year and the begining of this year. I have had the M685 irons for about a year but never really gave them a chance. Last month I decided to give them a true chance and pulled my I5s out. After 8 rounds with my M685s I have put my I5s up for sale.

These irons are awesome! I have hit some of my best long iron shots ever with the 3 and 4 iron. The short irons feel solid and they are very easy to control distance, trajectory and shape. The M685s set up nice and I really like the reduced offset compared to the I5s. The TF Rifle Lite 5.5 shafts are perfect for my swing. I would like to put these shafts into the I5s to see if it is the clubs or the shafts that really make the difference.

I think MacGregor irons are the most underated clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

I agreed that the M685 are the most under rated iron. Try provide excellent workability and a increase swing speed. they are excellent for getting out of the rough. From the fairway you get getter distance. ...and they impart forward spin so that the ball will travel an extra 20 t 30 yards on the roll. You get a medium ball flight that is more penatrating. They can compee with any of the top five brands at a cost that can save you 200 to 300 dollars off new sets. They are mid-size blades by you do get a fair amount of forgiveness. Tis is a blade I thing would be use on the tour more if not for binding sponsership contracts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just sweet clubs all around. And the look and size are perfect for me. There is really no offset through the entire set , much like a blade and the head size is not too small or too big. The feel is off the ball is not too hard or too soft either. I could not ask for a better iron and would put them up against the Nike Forged CCI, TM's R7 TP or Callaway's X20 Tour anyday!!

• 2 weeks later...

These irons are SWEEEEEEEEET. MacGregor is sooooooo underrated. I can't beleive more people don't play their irons. They are priced right and the customer service there are MacGregor is absolotely the best in the business. I've heard their 2008 lineup is unbeleivable. They have 5 new iron sets coming out and they have a blade and cavity back set that will turn back time. Mac is back......no doubt.

• 1 month later...

Truly an underrated company! MacGregor products consistently rank as one of the finest in quality and performance. In a land filled with millions of dollars spent in advertising from other companies, MacGregor has spent their time and finances in creating clubs that rival, and in some cases far superior, other products in the industry. With the latest offering in 2007, MacGregor has indeed established itself as a name to be reckoned with. Watch out for 2008!

• 4 weeks later...

I've been playing these for about 3 months and they are really starting to pay off on a consistent basis for me. I have shot some really good rounds with these puppies, including a 75 on the Palmer course at GINN Reunion Resort in Orlando, an 80 at Harbour Town that should have been a 77, and a couple of great rounds on my home course. Played the last 6 holes at TPC Sawgrass in one over...the rest of that round is another story. My problems have centered around the driver...made the mistake of getting a draw biased club and it about wrecked my whole game. I've switched to the MACTEC Tour with an open face and presto...confidence on the tee translates to more confidence with the irons. I will never buy another offset or draw biased club again. I have played for 28 years with a fade and I'll stick with it.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got the floor model on sale (last one in the store!) and took 'em out. They don't feel as crisp to me as the Ping S58's I've tried, but considering that I don't have the $$$ for those S58's... I think the m685's are fantastic nevertheless. I have a 22 handicap and I can hit these just fine, and they are very forgiving for me. I highly recommend getting these irons, if you can find them. They're getting scarce.

I absolutely love these irons. Great look at address, solid feel, love the stock Rifle Flighted Lite shafts and the stock multicompound grips. Even better is the price, got them for $260 brand new!

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 1 month later...

I was starting to get a little concerned... my receipt said the clubs were being delivered today and I hadn't seen the FedEx truck yet. I went out to do a few errands and as I came home I noticed a long white box on my neighbors porch. Sure enough they delivered them to the wrong house, but I got 'em. They look so sweet and I can't wait to play on Friday- I absolutely love the GP grips; finally a new club that doesn't come with crappy grips on them!

I'll post again after I play with them-