sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8

Trials and tribulations of an anal club-ho (PIC HEAVY)

The great British weather has put paid to any golf this weekend due to a hefty sprinkling of snow,so i thought i'd start up a little blog of my 2010 equipment and beyond while im sitting here with nothing to do.....

Im awaiting a few of this seasons items to arrive this week (Irons Monday and wedges Wednesday) and the 3 wood ive bought is being re-finished right now too and should be done by Xmas.Even the clubs that are in the bag have only been there for a matter of weeks,so everything is new for the upcoming season.

This year is going to be a real mix in the bag of old favourites,new technology,shapes i like and happy memories !!!!
I'll add pics as stuff arrives.

DRIVER

907D2 (Much loved) is out and a 909D2 is in.Lets hope the trend continues as driver is about my strongest club,and one i truly normally "Hit anywhere":

Titleist 909D2 Driver
8.5 Degree
44.5" long
UST AxivCore Red 69g X flex tipped 1"
D2 Swingweight
Tour Velvet .580 Ribbed.

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

018.jpg

3 Wood

Titleist 906F4 is out - TaylorMade 200 series makes a comeback.

Im just hoping that 'good memories' isnt all this turns out to be.Ive bought a 15 degree 200 series 3 wood head in good condition thats curently being re-finished.Previously had one of these in the bag for quite a few years,and as someone who struggles with a 3 wood at times i have great memories of this club:

TaylorMade 200 Series 3 wood
15 Degree
42.75" long
Aldila HM2000 Tour X flex tipped 1.5"
D2 Swingweight
Tour Velvet .580 Ribbed

003-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

002-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

And now finished:

001-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

HYBRID

Ive been sticking with the beloved Sonartecs in various head guises for a few years; but have had a change this year and gone for something a little more compact in size in the TaylorMade Burner Tour Launch.So far - so good:

TaylorMade Burner Tour Launch
18 Degree
40" Long
Accuflex Icon X flex shaft tipped 1"
D2 Swingweight
Tour Velvet .580 Ribbed

004.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

IRONS

Ive managed to bag a set of brand new and unused Callaway X-20 Tours with non-flighted PX 6.5's in (Some achievement here in the UK with how old they are now!).This will be my 3rd set of X-20 tours - and after a bit of swapping around im back to a set i know,love and trust and am REALLY,REALLY looking forward to getting out there with them again. Ive not managed to get close to the performance i get with these with anything else......

Callaway X-20 Tours (3-PW) With Satin Finish
Standard Lofts
Standard Lies
Standard Lengths
Non-Flighted Project X 6.5's
Tour Velvet .580 ribbed.

2009_052520090004.jpg

006-1.jpg

CLOSE-UP OF SATIN FINISH (Dont you hate that 'tacky' polished ring as standard ???)

002-2.jpg

WEDGES

Ok - im a Vokey man through and through (Who isnt really !).Nothing but a slight change of lofts and finish for me in 2010. (Going for 52 and 58) this year due to the fact the X-20 Tour PW is 46 degree,and this way i will then have a 6 degree gap between PW and GW,and GW and LW. I did used to have a slight 'black hole' between my PW and 54 degree when i carried 54 + 58 degree wedges.Hopefully the 52/58 combo will now sort this out:

Vokey 2009 Spin-Milled wedges
52/08 and 58/04
Standard Length
Standard Lies
Tour Velvet .580 ribbed.

008-1.jpg

PUTTER

After being a SBST man for 10 years plus,i then dabbled with an arc-stroke and hence toe-hang putter to suit in 2009.This year im determined to give it a go for the whole year (We've heard that before),and this caught my eye:

Never Compromise Speed Control 2
34.5"
68 degree lie angle
Golf Pride Dual Durometer grip

001.jpg

002.jpg

Edited by sevenfourate
  • Like 1

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Great stuff as usual Syer, is the new old 3wood the "200 tour"? If so I had the exact same combo in my am days until the v-steel hit the scene :)
reminds me I must get in the workshop this week and put
my new toys together.

Ben

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='2134980' date='Dec 20 2009, 01:47 PM']Beautiful pictures of a great set up. Thanks Syer, I enjoyed your thread!

Kevin[/quote]

Cheers bud :wave:

[quote name='Roland ' post='2135015' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:28 PM']Great stuff as usual Syer, is the new old 3wood the "200 tour"? If so I had the exact same combo in my am days until the v-steel hit the scene :)
my new toys together.

Ben[/quote]

Thanks Ben - My 'new' 3 wood is the ridged retail version,not the 200 smooth.Ive not actually ever seen or hit a smooth,but had a retail ridged in the bag for 3 or 4 years when they first came out and loved it (Had an original Purple Ice in it then ;) ).

Ive not actually even seen it in person yet either.It arrived in the post while i was at work and the wife immediately took it to the re-finishers for me as i really wanted the bag completed by Xmas.

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2135028' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:40 PM'][quote name='kevcarter ' post='2134980' date='Dec 20 2009, 01:47 PM']Beautiful pictures of a great set up. Thanks Syer, I enjoyed your thread!

Kevin[/quote]

Cheers bud :wave:

[quote name='Roland ' post='2135015' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:28 PM']Great stuff as usual Syer, is the new old 3wood the "200 tour"? If so I had the exact same combo in my am days until the v-steel hit the scene :)
my new toys together.

Ben[/quote]

Thanks Ben - My 'new' 3 wood is the ridged retail version,not the 200 smooth.Ive not actually ever seen or hit a smooth,but had a retail ridged in the bag for 3 or 4 years when they first came out and loved it (Had an original Purple Ice in it then ;) ).

Ive not actually even seen it in person yet either.It arrived in the post while i was at work and the wife immediately took it to the re-finishers for me as i really wanted the bag completed by Xmas.
[/quote]

No no no, not the smoothie, I hit one and I almost took out a cloud lol. Thee 200 tour ridgetop was the one I owned and loved : [url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Tour-issue-Taylormade-200-Steel-13-3-wood-w-Fujikura_W0QQitemZ220526632621QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGolf_Clubs?hash=item3358695ead"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Tour-issue-Taylormade-...=item3358695ead[/url]

It was like the retail model in look but was slightly different in terms of COG (i believe) and squarer face angle

Great stick for a higher ss and those that spun the ball a little too much

Ben

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2135028' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:40 PM']the wife immediately took it to the re-finishers for me[/quote]

Who are the refinishers? I've been looking for someone good in the UK, but would like to see some of their work before sending a club off.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Bob

[quote name='bobby_2807' post='2136563' date='Dec 21 2009, 11:27 AM'][quote name='sevenfourate' post='2135028' date='Dec 20 2009, 02:40 PM']the wife immediately took it to the re-finishers for me[/quote]

Who are the refinishers? I've been looking for someone good in the UK, but would like to see some of their work before sending a club off.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.
Bob
[/quote]

Its a Pro who's local to me.Hopefully the 3 wood will be ready Tuesday or Wednesday and i will post pics up then.

If you like what you see im sure i could take some stuff in for you.He doesnt advertise,or do a postal service as far as i know,but lets see what the job is like first hey !!!!

Irons are in the house :yahoo: ,and have been re-gripped (See below) and ive also given the heads a 'Satin finish' (See my original 1st post).Ive done this before with various sets of irons.I HATE the 'chrome' ring on the rear of the X-20 Tour heads,and have found a run over with a foam sanding pad gets rid of the shine and gives them a uniform satin finish.You just need to be careful to "follow the grain" of the material to get a good finish. (Pics in original post)

FOAM SANDING PAD: (Not sure if you guys in the US can get these - available in different grades of roughness and great for adding a grain to a non-chrome finish,sorting out the soles of fairway woods,finishing minor nicks after filing etc etc)

010.jpg

I also ripped of the original grips last night as soon as i got home from collecting the irons,and re-gripped with my favourite Tour Velvet .580 ribbed. Now im absolutely anal about my grips and have been known to have three or four goes at re-gripping any one club with brand new grips before im completely happy with its shape and size. I stretch my grips out 3/4" and basically stretch them out and get rid of alot of the grip material from the top and 'feed it down' so that the grip has less of a taper to it and is thicker in my right hand and thinner in my left hand. A set can take my quite a few hours to get right ! You can see the difference in shape and size below:

009-1.jpg

Quick pics of the wedges also added.After a bit of pondering and a test at the range,ive decided that to get my gaps right for me,and rather than rely on pure numbers - i actually need a 53 + 58 degree.Hence ive actually bought a 54 with a view to delofting it slightly (And hence reducing bounce),rather than buying a 52 and slightly increasing loft (And hence bounce).I shall be doing this myself later tonight.

Soon as the three wood arrives,and i can get outside i will get a complete bag pic........

While im here id like some opinions: Ive gotten into the habit of paint-filling the numbers of the soles of my irons in white,just because i like it and its different to most.So far i havn't touched the new sticks,but i do have pictures of a previous set i had done white.Is it a little bit too much 'bling' ????? Which do people prefer ?????

Bb5eEWQmkKGrHqEH-EMEqtpBBrLBKyMGgtM.jpg

006-1.jpg

So,you know about my clubs,and seeing as im sorting out some old photo's and uploading them to Photobucket i may aswell add a few of the idiot that swings them. Maybe i'll add a few as they come,but they are starting with a few old,old ones:

Portugal - Approx 1992.Looks like a Wilson Killer Whale with Firestick shaft to me !

Shuv-Portugal1992.jpg

Me and my Dad about to tee-off at Diamond Back in Florida - Approx 1995

SBJSSWRSFlorida-DiamondBack.jpg

Lahinch in Ireland - Approx 1997/98

6.jpg

Final Qualifying for The Open at Muirfield.Taken @ Dunbar in 2002

16.jpg

'At the club' - Approx 2005

18thTeeDrive2-vi.jpg

My style of hitting driver everywhere possible really hasnt changed over the years........... :partytime2:

Cha-Ching ! My 3 wood head has been finished today just in time for Xmas. Really,really pleased with the job,and about to stick the shaft in this afternoon.

And the cost was a mere £23 - a bargain for the effort put in i reckon:

003-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

001-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2140606' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:17 PM']My style of hitting driver everywhere possible really hasnt changed over the years........... :partytime2:[/quote]

Syer,

I had no idea you were still in such good shape... I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore. They always have me play Santa Claus at partys, they don't have to worry about finding pillows or extra stuffing to put under my Santa Suit. :lol:

Cheers,
The Fat Guy

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='Roland ' post='2142135' date='Dec 24 2009, 04:30 PM']Looks great! I might have 2/3 heads that could do with a spruce up, will dropy ou a pm after christmas :)[/quote]

No problem at all Ben - i dont think he'll do post,but if you get them to me i'll willingy run them down to him for if you pay the postage back obviously.

[quote name='kevcarter ' post='2142171' date='Dec 24 2009, 04:56 PM'][quote name='sevenfourate' post='2140606' date='Dec 23 2009, 12:17 PM']My style of hitting driver everywhere possible really hasnt changed over the years........... :partytime2:[/quote]

Syer,

I had no idea you were still in such good shape... I'm not sure if we can be friends anymore. They always have me play Santa Claus at partys, they don't have to worry about finding pillows or extra stuffing to put under my Santa Suit. :lol:

Cheers,
The Fat Guy
[/quote]

"Such good shape" lol. Seems the years have taken the toll on your eyesight too Kev !

Take it the food is good at the club ? Heres to the 'good life' :drinks:

3 wood shafted-up and paint-filled:

004-2.jpg

001-3.jpg

2K10 Bag "completed" !!!! Im not promising it will stay this way for the whole year,but anything hoping to make the bag is going to have some serious work to knock-out anything in there as of now.Ive got a base-line im really happy with for sure......

007.jpg

003-3.jpg

006-2.jpg

004-3.jpg

001-4.jpg

Best WITB ive seen since joining this site. Not a fan of callaway really but you put alot of thought and effort into this bag.

Congrats on such a great setup and hope the golf is as good.

Thanks very much indeed Collo :wave:

Yes,i have and do spend alot of time getting my bag 'right'.Last thing any of us need mid-round is excuses,nagging thoughts and worries over equipment issues.The games hard enough,and for me its another thing i havnt got to worry about if my clubs are 110% as i like them.The only excuse left is ME !!!!

Even the little details are co-ordinated here.Can you tell i like the colour blue ???? Got any idea why my wife calls me a "Tackle tart" ????

Favourite shoes - with my 3 boys first initials on

008-2.jpg

Score-card Holder

009-2.jpg

And close-up of logo

011-1.jpg

Gloves - Can you believe they 'happen' to match ??? !!!!

010-1.jpg

I'll leave it there for the moment.................

[quote name='Collo1992' post='2145416' date='Dec 27 2009, 06:07 AM']Best WITB ive seen since joining this site. Not a fan of callaway really but you put alot of thought and effort into this bag.

Congrats on such a great setup and hope the golf is as good.[/quote]

I agree 100%. Syer found and set up exactly the clubs that give him the most confidence, and the scores are going to reflect it.

Great job Sir!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='williamo' post='2145659' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:35 PM']I saw that your driver length was 44,5 inches. Is this standard or have you got a custom made?[/quote]

When ordering new,i normally specify my preferred length of 44.5" and my preferred swing-weight of D2.Which is what i did with this driver as it was a custom order from Titleist with this shaft .If im making the club / re-shafting myself i'll just cut it down to 44.25" (Since the cap at the butt of the grip will take-up 1/4",and make the driver 44.5" overall when gripped).

Ive been on 44.5" length for about 5 years now,and with just 1" or 1/2" off depending on manufacturer,my ball-striking has improved alot. Believe it or not i also think i hit it further (On average) with a shorter club due to much better contact more often than not.

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2145681' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:54 PM'][quote name='williamo' post='2145659' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:35 PM']I saw that your driver length was 44,5 inches. Is this standard or have you got a custom made?[/quote]

When ordering new,i normally specify my preferred length of 44.5" and my preferred swing-weight of D2.Which is what i did with this driver as it was a custom order from Titleist with this shaft .If im making the club / re-shafting myself i'll just cut it down to 44.25" (Since the cap at the butt of the grip will take-up 1/4",and make the driver 44.5" overall when gripped).

Ive been on 44.5" length for about 5 years now,and with just 1" or 1/2" off depending on manufacturer,my ball-striking has improved alot. Believe it or not i also think i hit it further (On average) with a shorter club due to much better contact more often than not.
[/quote]

How tall are you?

[quote name='williamo' post='2145880' date='Dec 27 2009, 07:48 PM'][quote name='sevenfourate' post='2145681' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:54 PM'][quote name='williamo' post='2145659' date='Dec 27 2009, 04:35 PM']I saw that your driver length was 44,5 inches. Is this standard or have you got a custom made?[/quote]

[/quote]

How tall are you?
[/quote]

6'3 or thereabouts......

[quote name='williamo' post='2145920' date='Dec 27 2009, 08:22 PM']Damn, youre a big guy. I don't wanna fight with you :friends:[/quote]

As with alot of taller people - i guess my arms are long too.So my finger-tip to floor distance is much the same as someone who's 5'8.And with most taller people,getting the right posture is mostly a balance between being technically correct,being comfortable and getting into a position where i can "sit my bum down" and get my legs out of the way to some degree. Hence all my clubs are standard length and lie.....

And yes im a big guy.But a placid one too ! :tongue:

Best WITB ive seen since joining this site. Not a fan of callaway really but you put alot of thought and effort into this bag.

Congrats on such a great setup and hope the golf is as good.

Gloves - Can you believe they 'happen' to match ??? !!!!

010-1.jpg

I'll leave it there for the moment.................

That color of the glove is a little gay for a big man like you. Babyblue =) You should try dark blue or black! haha :bb:

IT'S A JOKE

I reserve the right to make a quick change to the bag seeing as 1./ Auld Lang Syne hasnt actually signified the New Year starting yet,and 2./ Im a ho.

Started of with an innocent trip to the shops in the City with the kids.Unfortunately (re: Fortunately) there was also a large golf shop nearby.

As a Cameron Santa Fe style shape fan,and recent user of both a TP Mills soft-tail and Rife Cayman,this caught my eye and is one of the most eye-pleasing putters ive seen for along time.If it works or not is another matter....

So....ive picked up and bagged a new out in the UK; Rossa Core Classic Daytona 6 :wub:

Happy Ho'ing guys-n-gals !

008-3.jpg

009-3.jpg

013-1.jpg

005-2.jpg

007-1.jpg

• sevenfourate changed the title to sevenfourate's Old Skool WITB - 14 clubs for 2022 - 'Done' !! ***BMW PGA pics added on page 8