2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Titleist Tour Drivers

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The TM TP's are the same, only changed slightly in measurment terms for the individual player they are given to. I'm sure someone knows a little difference in Titleist's drivers.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

i know for a fact that retail titleist has lower COR than tour the retails are under .830 so they dont retail "hott" drivers but the tour has the COR right at .830 so they can max out the limits thats why they are longer

^^^sorry if i got the COR number wrong, i just made a good guess if im right^^^^

Tour and Retail are not the same. The Tour one's have a higher COG, square to open faces and are built to tolerate higher SS's and tend to last longer.

I have had 2 Titleist Tour Drivers and also the feel and sound it makes when it hits the ball is not the same as retail. Custom drivers are in between retail and tour.

Wow! My favorite subject. Listen to yourselves. Are you actually questioning the COR of different drivers? They are all at the allowed maximum and questioning that is silly. A higher COG will help to avoid the left side of the golf course and reduce spin. There are a lot of different ways to achieve this, the most expensive being the purchase of a "tour" club. Has anyone ever noticed the "availability" of certain types of tour clubs? R7 Tour, best tour club ever, huge influx of product. R5 Tour, best tour club since the R7, huge influx of product. Adams FW metal, best FW metal ever, huge influx of product. Is anyone catching on? Beside the fact that I have seen the production and alteration of "tour" clubs and have spoken at length with industry chairmen about the subject, the market for "tour" issue is proof enough for me. If the fact that your club is missing a serial # or has a TXXXX makes you a better player then more power to you. I am an advocate of playing what is best for your game. I will play what is best for mine.

By the way I have a set of MP32's without a serial #. I got them from the Memorial last year after a practice round. They are identical to retail. The Mizuno rep on site confirmed it.

Thanks for the outlet. This particular topic is like a conspiracy theory... ridiculous but interesting.

In my experience, a Tour club is not longer than its retail counterpart. In fact, many retail clubs hit longer than their tour counterpart depending on shaft. However, Tour clubs tend to sit square to open while their retail counterparts can have closed faces. The reason why some Tour clubs have a distinctive feel is (ie solid, muted etc) is due to the rat glue that's inserted for weighting purposes. Tour clubs that have the rat glue treatment does have a different feel and sound to it but Tour clubs w/out any rat glue(the bulk tour heads that show up on ebay usually do not) does not feel any different than retail. Some of y'all need to get off the COR fetish. How much difference in distance will there be between a maxed out .830 and a .0825? The difference will be NEGLIGIBLE. At about 110 mph clubhead speed a .860 COR driver ( the old non conforming ones) will be about 6-8 yds longer than a .830 driver. So put that in perspective. .30 difference will gain you about 6-8 yds on a nutted drive. How much can you expect to gain from a .005 difference? Even if the COR was .820 vs .830 the difference is irrelevent for 99% of the golfing public. Can you say 1-2 yds?

Ping G430 Max 9 Tour Chrome 2.0 65 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Hardy’s Yellow 70 X

Titleist 913h 19* Hybrid Diamana Blue

Titleist 818h1 4,5 Hybrid KBS Tour 75 Prototype Stiff

Ping G425 6,7 Hybrid Tensei Blue TX

Ping G425 8-PW

MIZUNO 900 Forged Gap Wedge

Vokey SM9 54 60

Taylormade Spider

hi all:i'm guessing with companies like titleist,taylormade,ping callaway and others that their tour and retail heads are of equal quality allthough the tolerances between tour and retail heads may be a little different.companies just put different specs on their tour heads to get the specs each pro wants.just my 2 cents worth and if i'm misguided on this feel free to corect me.thanks

I'm a Champions Tour member and play with Titleist equipment. There is no difference with the club head construction except that their tour department is able to distribute weight inside to promote left to right, right to left, high or low ball flight (similar to the screw weight technology used by TaylorMade). Obviously, shafts, swingweights, lengths, grips are options available to tour players when having clubs built.

Guys, this is my first post, but I couldn't resist and hope it helps. I worked for Mizuno for 4 years in custom clubs, on the Tour van in the winter, and as a sales rep and the only "Tour" only clubs we had were choices of U and V groves, and some heads that were not offerred at retail such as Pro II SW and gap wedges. Some o fthe tour guys spin the ball too much and preferred the V grove to reduce spin. We would bend, grind, hot melt, add weight change shafts etc, but the heads were the same as retail. The specs were indeed tighter on the "tour" stuff, but that only means they were pulled from the foundry and measured to tighter specs, not that they were any different. Some companies do make stuff that is only fro the tour, prototype etc.

I'm a Champions Tour member and play with Titleist equipment. There is no difference with the club head construction except that their tour department is able to distribute weight inside to promote left to right, right to left, high or low ball flight (similar to the screw weight technology used by TaylorMade). Obviously, shafts, swingweights, lengths, grips are options available to tour players when having clubs built.

Ahh. The infamous rat glue treatment. This is what gives it that distinctive "Tour feel."

Ping G425 8-PW

Vokey SM9 54 60

Taylormade Spider

Look.....

Here is the deal!

There is NO "TOUR" issue Titleist equipment, other than special prototypes that are tested on TOUR. The stuff that the tour players get is the same as the stuff bought at retail. Believe it or not, it's true!!

Sure the heads are sorted to more exact specs for lofts and weights, but that is it.

It's the same. Period!!!

As for Callaway and Taylor Made................. Both have special TOUR stuff that the TOUR staff can get!

Short of being a tour player or friend of Wally Uihlein's, a visit to Oceanside will not get you irons, hybrids, fairway metals or drivers that are unavailable to the public. Their staff there will not build clubs available only for the tour. You won't get 755 CB irons, 585H hybrids, 906F2 fairway metals, etc., until then unless you're stamped "tour worthy."

Are the Titleist drivers sold at retail different from the ones the pros use? For example Taylor Made drivers sold at retail are nothing like those in the tour van, even the TP models are different. I was wondering if Titleist is the same way.

Thanks,

Jason

Let's see what site have you just come from HHHMMMM???? I have several drivers that came from the Taylor Made Tour van (510 DF Tour and 500 DF Tour to name two). And there is absolutely no difference between the tour van drivers and the retail drivers. The retail 510 TP (retail name for the 510 DF Tour) was no different from the 510 DF Tour. Also I always paid the same amount for the tour van products as I did the retail product. NOW hold on to your seat THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE IN THE MATERIAL USED IN THE TOUR DRIVERS. I KNOW THIS AS I'VE SAID MANY TIMES BECAUSE I OWNED A COMPANY THAT SUPPLIED RAW MATERIALS TO THE GOLF INDUSTRY AMONG OTHERS.(sold it last year so I doubt anything has changed) Yes not every manufacturer used the same ti formulation but no manufacturer ordered different spec'd material for the same model going to the tour (there is one born every minute--snake oil salesmen etc.). Never forget "highway robbery" was outlawed some time ago--but it alive and well in the golf equipment "special can only get here" sites. Does the tour equipment start with heads that are closer to nominal spec and have special grinds and weighting (by individual pro)---you bet. And most of the time that really doesn't fit a average golfer. Plus many times the tour van equipment I've gotten suffers from less than excellent workmanship. Lousy ferrule fits and glue smears are TM and Clevelands specialty.

Yes and that would fall under the category of a driver that came out that was tour only, however, the point of this thread was that when two drivers of identical name came out i.e. 905s the tour and the retail there is no material difference. Of course one may have a square face and the other may be closed but that is not because of anyting other than manufacturer handpicking ones for the tour that are square. The r540 xd tp is a rare case and not many others exist. The r580xd tp would be one of the only others. As sandy said the r510 tp and 510 df tour would be one of the many that support the claim of "no damn difference." Frankly these threads head the same direction every time and there will be those who are stuck in their belief and those who are willing to accept the truth in overwhelming majority of cases. This argument gets discussed over and over, and never changes, well leave it at that.

The guy that does all my clubwork used to work on the Srixon Tour Van and he said that they do a few things different to the heads like fill them with foam to produce a flatter trajectory and heat up the heads then cryogenically freeze them to make the metals harder. If it's true or not I dont know but I wouldn't be surprised.

Compare the 540xd TP and the 540 XD. They are totally different drivers. They sound different and look different. One is tour the other is retail.

Croonie

So how are they different, internal weighting, face angle, hosel size, internal application of acoustic gel, little race car logo on the toe (TP), overpriced shaft? Good gosh you haven't learned yet that Taylor Made is the king useless numbers of SKUs?????????????????? and variations. Please learn what determines a totally different model. But the fact remains all the same darn material (not tour unobtaniumti) I have a 905R that has the acoustic plug removed that came from a tour player. I guess that is a different model and a tour model to boot. YIPPEE e-bay here I come. Should be able to get at least $900 for it.

I have hit a 905R Tour and a retail 905R both with the exact same shaft--Diamana 83x. There was absolutely NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO. Absolutely no difference. The tour was an 8.5 and the retail was a 9.5. They both had the same ball flight pattern in that they both like to go left albeit the 9.5 did so with a higher trajectory.

I have also hit a Tour 905S and a retail 905S. There was no difference in playability albeit the Tour did have a different sound to it but I believe it was because it was hot melted. But that's all. Ball flight, distance etc were similar.

Ping G425 8-PW

Vokey SM9 54 60

Taylormade Spider

Sandy,

Are you seriously stating that the 540xd and 540xd TP are the same driver? The 540xd TP and 580xd TP are totally different clubs from their retail conterpart.

You should reread Sandy's post then apologize accordingly.

Basically to reiterate, hopefully in a concise fashion, what others have said...

Drivers used on the PGA tour are most often the exact same driver that is collecting dust at your local pro shop. These drivers are modified in different ways to suit players demands.

The one case where a tour driver might be different from retail is the prototype releases. Companies like to use the PGA tour as a testing ground for its new driver designs. TM is probably the most prolific at this.

The 540XD TP and 580XD TP are great examples of this. "BDARGIE", you are correct the TOUR 540XD TP and 580XD TP are COMPLETELY different from the retails because the retail versions of this club do not exist. For whatever reason TM decided not to release these clubs to the general public. There are also several Titleist prototypes that never made it to the store shelf. I am not sure about Callaway, until recently it has been hard to find anyone with Callaway in their bag yet alone with anything rare.

I can read...still come to the same conclusion.

Is he not saying thay the only difference between the 540XD and 540XD TP are => "So how are they different, internal weighting, face angle, hosel size, internal application of acoustic gel, little race car logo on the toe (TP), overpriced shaft?" If he was referring to Titleist than he is correct but his reply was directed at the TM drivers.

Maybe you need to reread the post.

I can read...still come to the same conclusion.

Is he not saying thay the only difference between the 540XD and 540XD TP are => "So how are they different, internal weighting, face angle, hosel size, internal application of acoustic gel, little race car logo on the toe (TP), overpriced shaft?" If he was referring to Titleist than he is correct but his reply was directed at the TM drivers.

Maybe you need to reread the post.

I think I did miss-read your post.... sorry, all this XD... TP stuff can get confusing.

I'd have to take a closer look at the 540 Xd (nonTP) to know the differences.... aside from a closed face, rat glue, and a little race car logo.

Ive got a question. If you find a walmart driver that outdrives everydriver would you not play it because it isnt name brand? It seems as if people buy drivers because of their name, or because they are TOUR but all that matters is how they preform. I hit closed face drivers with a little cut where i hit square drivers with a hook. I will play a driver that preforms not one that is TOUR or that is EXPENSIVE.

Ive got a question. If you find a walmart driver that outdrives everydriver would you not play it because it isnt name brand? It seems as if people buy drivers because of their name, or because they are TOUR but all that matters is how they preform. I hit closed face drivers with a little cut where i hit square drivers with a hook. I will play a driver that preforms not one that is TOUR or that is EXPENSIVE.

If you can afford to drive a Porsche, Mercedes or Ferrari are you going to buy a Yugo to get you from point A to point B? It gets you the same results. Your arguement makes no sense. Are you going to buy a pair of Levi's or a pari of Walmart jeans. There just jeans so why pay more? Why buy a Timex if you can afford a Rolex? It's the same watch that'll get you the time. Not that any of the above pertains to me but do you get the point?

Ping G425 8-PW

Vokey SM9 54 60

Taylormade Spider

Mosesgolf,

I believe his point was that for a particular person they werent equal. His point would not fit into the rolex/timex category bc those both can tell the time though the rolex is going to be far more accurate over the years. His point was basically if you hit a wicked slice with a tour driver bc it was way open or internally weighted or whatever but you hit a cheap standard wal mart driver straight and solid, would you play the driver that flat out doesnt work bc its a tour driver?