Utley Putting Stroke

Anyone Use it 100%?
Since switiching to the Utley putting method I've noticed a HUGE difference in the contact I make with my putter. I've eliminated the thin contact and the toe / heel shots which is great. I'm a big believer in the one plane putting stroke. Here's the question:

Does anyone here commit to Utley's ideas 100%? Not just the arced stroke, but more specfically, the low, short follow through. I like the idea, and the feel, but comitting to it has been a bit of an ordeal and has lead to some atrocious speed control on the greens (especially today).

How did you engrain it without literally having someone sit there and stop your putter?

Thanks for any info and ideas.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One way to work on a short follow though is to put two tee in the green however far in front you would like to finish. Place the tee a couple of inches apart so the ball can pass through. The putter will hit the tee's and shorten your stroke. I hope this helps ZAch

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

The funny thing is I don't see ANY of Stan's students using the same stroke he describes and uses himself.......they all use just a basic "screen door" or "ARC" stroke with NO apparant effort being made to shorten the through stroke.......I've got video of Jay Haas putting @ Pinehurst and he's making NO effort to shorten the follow through......

Personally, I think a "screen door"/ARC stroke is great......it's 100% set up by the "set-up"......and I also think you should simply let the putter swing the amount YOUR "feel" says you need to in order to ROLL the ball the correct distance.....and do NOT worry about "hitting down" or shortening the stroke.......JMOP though.......but, putting is VERY much an INDIVIDUAL "feel" and when you TRY and shorten the stroke your going to have ZERO "feel".....much less square the putter head consistently......IF it were me I'd just let the putter "swing" in an ARC and use YOUR "feel" to R O L L the ball starting it on YOUR line......

JMOP though.....:)

I believe that the low, short follow-through is at least partially a result of Stan's preference to keep the shoulders very quiet in the through-stroke, with the strike coming from the extending right arm. The time I worked with him, he advised to "keep the right shoulder back" in the through-stroke. If the shoulders are still, the follow-through has to stop when the right arm is fully extended. I think I see this in Tiger's putting stroke.

Since switiching to the Utley putting method I've noticed a HUGE difference in the contact I make with my putter. I've eliminated the thin contact and the toe / heel shots which is great. I'm a big believer in the one plane putting stroke. Here's the question:

Does anyone here commit to Utley's ideas 100%? Not just the arced stroke, but more specfically, the low, short follow through. I like the idea, and the feel, but comitting to it has been a bit of an ordeal and has lead to some atrocious speed control on the greens (especially today).

How did you engrain it without literally having someone sit there and stop your putter?

Thanks for any info and ideas.

Do you have a link with/and or pictures that describe his method? I'm trying to swich over and have not been able to find details about what exactly he teaches or recommends.

i disagree that his shoulders stay still...probably the most important piece of advice he gives is to turn your left shoulder through impact, and not lift it. this gives what probably appears like a short follow through, but in reality isn't. that is probably the best tip in the putting stroke i've ever heard.

• 2 weeks later...

i disagree that his shoulders stay still...probably the most important piece of advice he gives is to turn your left shoulder through impact, and not lift it. this gives what probably appears like a short follow through, but in reality isn't. that is probably the best tip in the putting stroke i've ever heard.

Well, I spent the last 30 minutes of my lesson on Friday talking about Utley and the putting stroke. My pro had a 4 hour putting / short game lesson with Stan earlier this year and I've been picking his brain ever since.

Just to make sure I'm understanding things, when you say "turn your left shoulder through impact" is it like the full swing???? Where you're rotating your body around a line that runs from your head to your feet?

I specifically asked about what you mentioned above, and Tommy was a little puzzled. He talked much more about the folding of the right elbow and extending of the left arm on the back swing followed by the opposite on the through swing. The low short follow through should be a byproduct of the right arm extending (it can only extend so far).

Thanks for any clarification.

BTW, Stan's book's coming out on Wednesday!

I don't think about making a putting stroke at all. I just hit the ball in the hole.

At the end of last year I tried to shave a few strokes off by working on putting. I studied up how to make a perfect stroke. But as I worked I noticed my putts per GIR kept going up.

I read something not too long ago from Faxon, he said he thinks of putting the same way he thinks of playing catch. He finds the line and then hits it there. so I started doing that. I just find the line and then hit it. My putting stats are now puldging.

Has anyone read Utley's new book yet? I got it yesterday and it is pretty good. I am having trouble with his stroke a little. Just can't get the folding and straightening of the arms.

That's kind of waht I'm struggling with right now. The long puts are money, but the short ones are still a little scary. :idhitit:

Just out of curiosity, where did you get it from? Barnes and Noble and Border's both don't have it yet. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the book and the DVD that comes with Stan's training aid, "The Learning Curve". I believe the DVD is much better in communicating his stroke mechanics. In particular, he goes on at length in the DVD about how important it is to keep the shoulders and body quiet, and includes a drill to help teach this. He doesn't really discuss this aspect that much in the book. As with the excerpt in Golf Digest, it is easy to come away from the book believing that Stan wants you to turn the left shoulder through impact; in fact, he explains on the DVD that he wants you to stop it at impact, which will give pretty much the same short, low follow-through with any length putt.

Jeff

Since the DVD is what you really want, you can order the DVD without the device and make your own. It is actually four training aids: a plane board (set at a 68* lie angle), the arc (which you can make with a metal ruler and tees: that is what Stan used when I had my lessons with him two years ago), and two alignment aids: one to practice the correct aim and takeaway, and the other to check face alignment throughout the stroke. Unless money is really tight, I'd go-ahead and pop for the package. As far as the book goes, it has some interesting case histories and such, but I barely look at it. I rely on the DVD.

Jeff

I ordered the DVD and training aid, after having read the book.

I like alot of the ideas the book puts forward but the stroke seems very handsy to me. I hope the DVD clears this up a little better.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I ordered the DVD and training aid, after having read the book.

I like alot of the ideas the book puts forward but the stroke seems very handsy to me. I hope the DVD clears this up a little better.

Joe

I think it kind of depends on what "handys" actually translates into.

To me I would call it "elbowy" because to me the stroke is dominated by the opposing extension and folding of the elbows on the back and through strokes.

You shouldn't feel any wrist break, but you may feel the hands rotating due to the bones in the forearm (radius and the ulna) rotating (what they're designed to do anatomically).