Do you Carry or use a Push/Pull cart?l

giogolf

Hey all,

Here is the deal, I played to day with a friend and we were both tired from working last night late. I shot horribly and about halfway through the round I turned to my friend and asked, "why the hell are we carrying are bags?", why not push or pull a cart. It would save our backs and or shoulders, and keep us fresh through the round.

We both came to the conclusion that we did not want to be perceived as being, old or lazy. But honestly I don’t really care, I think carrying my bag is actually hurting my game. If I wanted to, after 18 holes, I could only probably play 9 more, but never 36 holes in a day carrying, my lower back and shoulders tighten up.

What’s your take, are you pushing already, are you considering pushing? For the record i am against driving carts and enjoy walking regardless. I do not think I would be getting less exercise buy pushing as opposed to carrying.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Count me in on the Sun Mountain speed cart--been using it for a while and it's great! Anybody see they have the new seat attachment--can't wait!!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

I enjoy walking the course, but walking and CARRYING clubs in 100 degree Texas heat is NOT FUN. So last year I also got a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. It makes a huge difference on those hot Texas days. I'm also much less likely to lose a club. Before I got my push cart I lost a wedge and a 5 wood when I was walking.

Like everybody else posting here on this topic, I use a Sun Mountain Speed Cart. Best investment I ever made for my Golf Game! I also do not like riding in the goofy golf carts. I can't concentrate on my game with those things. I also enjoy the great workout I get from walking/pushing/swinging/turning for 4.5 hours in fresh air/sunshine with beautiful surroundings during 18 holes of golf. I played 66 rounds last season and walked for 64 rounds. This year I am at 15 rounds, and have walked them all. I am 64, 5'7", 150 lbs, NO BODY FAT, just had my annual physical, and the Dr. told me I had the body of a man 40 years old!!! I played Baseball in College and until I was 35, Tennis from 35 to 60, and just play golf now and NEVER felt better. The Dr told me it is because in golf you are getting 4.5 hours of sustained, steady exercise if you walk vs short bursts of exercise when you play Tennis. Works for me! When the day comes that I can't walk the course, I'll use the carts, but as long as I can walk it without injurying myself, I'll walk! :)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

I also use a push cart. I use the three wheel BagBoy Avenger. Playing in Central California where the summers get to 100f plus, it sure makes it a lot easier to walk 18-27 holes. Played 52 rounds this year so far and only rode a golf cart twice (Spanos Reserve and Stevinson Ranch both links courses).....get a 3 wheeler its like knocking off 6 holes of wear and tear on the old body per round IMO,

Regards,

Tad

Ping Rapture V2 10.5*/ Harrison Saga 70grms
TEE Trilogy 15*/ GD Tour AD
TEE Trilogy 18*/GD Tour AD
Adams Idea Pro 20* VS Proto
Srixon I701 Tour 4-Pw, Project X
Titleist Spin Milled 50*
Fourteen MT28 v5 56*
Taylormade Original itsy bitsy spider 33/370grms

I like walking, and carried fairly often growing up here in Ohio, but the hills in Pittsburgh (college/grad school) were too much for me.

But now I'm back in (relatively flat) Ohio and last weekend I walked for the first time in about 5 years. I felt like wrotten death afterwards. The next day I felt very refreshed, however. I walked again this past weekend, felt kinda bad afterwards but very refreshed the day after.

So I am about half RONY's age and weigh about twice as much. The wife's been after me to get in better shape...perhaps if I up it to twice a week I'll start losing some weight. Oh, and I've been eye-ing the Sun Mountain push carts...thinking of getting one for my dad.

I'm on my second season with my Sun Mountain. Love it. I took the game up again seriously when I was about 24 years old. I used a pull cart up until I got the speed cart. Easier on the shoulders and back to push. I play 36 holes every weekend and another 18 to 36 during the week. My calves are HUGE from all the walking! I typically lose about 10-15 lbs of winter weight from all the walking each summer. I guess I've never given a second thought about what others may think, only how to improve my play. The speed cart is the way to go.

Ever notice when you see everyday Euro golfers of all ages, they seem to be using pull carts? Just an observation. It must be a "cultural" thing. Who's gonna say anything, and furthermore, would you care?!! :)

spk74: Atta Boy, Do it! You won't be sorry. If you play that much golf and walk with a push/pull cart, you WILL lose weight, feel better, play better, and when your wife gets that "Hunk" back........Nighttime is gonna get better!!!!! :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

One more thing I want to add about walking with a pull/push cart. The thing that we all have in common here is; we LOVE to play golf. You don't even think about the fact that you're doing all that walking, because as you're walking toward your ball, your mind is consumed by how you're going to play that next shot. It gives you time to think over your options, get the "feel" of the course terrain, "tight lie, or ball is sittin up, 3 iron or fairway wood", etc. I'm telling you....you'll play better! With the exception of when somebody gets sick, you'll NEVER see anybody who loses a bunch of weight, who doesn't look BETTER!!!!! If you want/need proof.....Look at pictures of Jack Nicklaus when he first came on tour and then when he decided that he needed to do something about his weight! :)

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

spk74: Atta Boy, Do it! You won't be sorry. If you play that much golf and walk with a push/pull cart, you WILL lose weight, feel better, play better, and when your wife gets that "Hunk" back........Nighttime is gonna get better!!!!! :beee:

I had walked with a pull cart before, and got the result you mentioned.

However recently I decided to carry the bag with my full irons set (they are steel shaft) to strengthen my body. The result? I can only play 18 holes at most, but I lost 1 pound nearly every week (I've lost 6 pounds now,) and my ss is increasing.

For the hunk effect, I don't know the difference because my gf feels I always need too much. :)

I'm a carrier. For some reason I'm different, I actually find it easier to carry, particularly on hilly courses, and most courses here in Sydney are hilly. If it's a dead flat course and a REALLY hot day then I will pull and if it's raining then I will also pull because then I can have a rain cover over my bag. On the flat I don't see much difference but going up hill I think carrying is much easier. At first it was a little hard on my shoulders and after a couple of months my Mum thought I looked a little bulkier, but now it's nothing to me, as I spend about 35-40 hours a week on the course, playing and practising.

Here in Europe basically 90% of the people walks during the round. From those that walks, a high percentage uses an electric cart to carry the clubs. They are very convenient, you can find them from $300 up to $1,000: I use myself a Powakaddy Freeway Titanium, considered the Rolls Royce of electric cars (see http://www.powakaddy.com/powered-freeway_sportdigital.htm ). Battery can easily last for 27 holes with no problem.

Saludos,

I've been carrying my bag, but its taking a toll on my back as the course I walk is very hilly. I'll have to check out the Sun Mountain Speed Cart. Is it easy to use on hilly courses also?

Bill3508

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

How does the Speed Cart compare to the BagBoy Avenger? I am going to purchase one of those 2 in the next 2 weeks.

Taylormade M1 8.5* Fujikura Speeder 553 Tour Spec
Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 16.5* Aldila RIP Alpha
Titleist T200 4-7, T100s 8-PW KBS Tour
Scratch 8620 DD 47*, 53*, 60* Aerotech SF i110
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

I too have the Speed Cart and find it's the cats meow to carry ones clubs. Funny thing is my friends >30 are jealous that I have it saying how it's pretty fancy, and my friends who are <30 laugh at me 'cause I must be "too old" to walk. (I'm 24)

Personally I don't care, it's awesome. (except for the cupholder that spills my drinks)

I am 38 and I see a pull/push cart in my future, but I carry for the time being. Not a macho thing it is just that I am over weight and like the workout.

I like others am trying too lose weight. My concentration fades, and swing lossens up around the 32nd hole. I like the chalange of tryiong to keep it together when tired.

I do not walk 36 when it is over a 100 degrees.

The last time I carried for 36 holes the only thing that hurt was my feet. I could feel the spikeless cleets through the soles.

Anyone have sugestions on a good walking shoe (Like Nike SP6 or Tour 360) that can go 36 holes?

I'm a carrier. Part of it is simply because time golfing is time away from other sports, so I like the extra workout from carrying. When I was in Augusta in 90' heat and high humidity, I carried 18 at one course and was all set to do another 18 when I had to leave early to pick the wife up at the airport.

I tried a pullcart a couple times and didn't like it. I've played in carts ebfore, but I feel like it messes with my rhythm and I don't enjoy the game as much.

I use to carry up until 4 rounds ago...Got a bagboy 3 wheel cart...Kinda had a hard time getting over its looks but man after the first round I used it, I fell in love..I had alot of extra energy coming down the last 3 holes, felt more relaxed and at ease...tossed the carry bag and bought a Sun Moutain SCB Bag love that thing to so much extra room