Demoed new Cobra HS9 drivers

sandy

Carbon in crown and sole
I had a chance to hit the new Cobra HS9 F series driver in 9.0 stiff. It didn't look nearly as closed as most of the speed series (listed as only 1.5 closed). It had a deeper face than the speed series due to the carbon usage I guess. The most noticeable trait is this is the loudest driver that Cobra has ever made and maybe one of the louder drivers ever. For me it hit the ball way too high but that is the lowest loft they will make in these drivers. I am anxious to try the X series that has a .5 open face at 9.0 loft which might take it close to 8.0 effective (marked) loft. I'm not sure if they are trying to get these in the hands of the tour guys or not because the 9 degree loft limit makes me wonder. They have color cordinated shafts and grips green and green, blue and blue. The shafts are graphite design YS series with Lamkin Tour torsion grips. The X supposedly is red/orange in grip and shaft. They will also make a series of fairways with the lowest loft in those being 15.5. I think these are more pointed at the higher handicap group just based on the fairway lofts. Of course Cobra made the mistake of pricing them at $399 again. They are definitely very forgiving but I'm not sure about the distance. The driver I tried was easily 25+ yards shorter than the XX speed I have. But the lofts, flex, and length weren't comparable but I was shocked about how short it was for me. Can't really figure out who these are pointed at with a premium price, premium materials, better look, but severly limited loft selection. HS stands for High Speed and 9 (supposedly) stands for nine models or ninth model. I'll reserve final judgement until I try the X series but I don't think they will bump the XX speed. Possibly they will have a XX series for the LDA team and the tour but right now nothing on the horizon.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you post any pics of the driver? Can you also measure the size of the face and depth of head?

I wasn't allowed to take pictures just yet as reps. are just getting their samples around to the dealers. Most of the dealers have the spec. sheets that have pictures on them. I was told the face is deeper than the Speed series which I remember was the deepest offered by OEMs today. Since I didn't take my calipers with me I could only eyeball it and looked about the same depth as the speed series. I remember the soles having two carbon sections and three weight pads along with the carbon crown.

I hit four balls with this thing at a demo day yesterday. The reason I didn't attempt any more is because these things are hazardous to your hearing! Hey, I'm not kidding: sweet spot hits are merely extremely (!) loud and obnoxious but any kind of misshit results in the loudest, sharpest, most piercing sound imaginable. Think small caliber pistol in an enclosed range. Literally hurt my ears. I certainly hope they tone this thing down before release!

I had a chance to hit the new Cobra HS9 F series driver in 9.0 stiff. It didn't look nearly as closed as most of the speed series (listed as only 1.5 closed). It had a deeper face than the speed series due to the carbon usage I guess. The most noticeable trait is this is the loudest driver that Cobra has ever made and maybe one of the louder drivers ever. For me it hit the ball way too high but that is the lowest loft they will make in these drivers. I am anxious to try the X series that has a .5 open face at 9.0 loft which might take it close to 8.0 effective (marked) loft. I'm not sure if they are trying to get these in the hands of the tour guys or not because the 9 degree loft limit makes me wonder. They have color cordinated shafts and grips green and green, blue and blue. The shafts are graphite design YS series with Lamkin Tour torsion grips. The X supposedly is red/orange in grip and shaft. They will also make a series of fairways with the lowest loft in those being 15.5. I think these are more pointed at the higher handicap group just based on the fairway lofts. Of course Cobra made the mistake of pricing them at $399 again. They are definitely very forgiving but I'm not sure about the distance. The driver I tried was easily 25+ yards shorter than the XX speed I have. But the lofts, flex, and length weren't comparable but I was shocked about how short it was for me. Can't really figure out who these are pointed at with a premium price, premium materials, better look, but severly limited loft selection. HS stands for High Speed and 9 (supposedly) stands for nine models or ninth model. I'll reserve final judgement until I try the X series but I don't think they will bump the XX speed. Possibly they will have a XX series for the LDA team and the tour but right now nothing on the horizon.

Thanks for the review Sandy.

What does the head look like? Traditional or the awful scalloped crown Cobra has been famous for?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60, KBS CT Tour, 35"
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I would not doubt that this club is very loud, if I tee off with a hard cover ball with my X-Speed it hurts my ears almost as much as a .22 pistol shot!

Ai Smoke TD Max 8.5* Tour AD VF-6X
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus TR Black 7

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

Sandy can you find me a place where they can handpick a 454 comp? or even sell tour cobras?

Art Sellinger's LDA (Long Drive Association) used to sell Tour heads (ie lower lofts that were square--suprisingly the LDA guys like the face slightly closed to help turn the ball over). To my knowledge the only golfer of any noteriety that uses the comp is JB Holmes. It was a dud in sales because people weren't willing to pay $399 for a Cobra driver. Their price point seems to be $299 so we shall see how the HS9s do.

Head looks square and better shaped than the speed series. The scallops are there but very subtle compared to past models. Don't forget the scallops and the crown slope is what allows Cobra to have the deepest face in golf.

I would not doubt that this club is very loud, if I tee off with a hard cover ball with my X-Speed it hurts my ears almost as much as a .22 pistol shot!

You sure about that .22 pistol? Thats pretty weak, almost like a pellet gun strength wise. Not very loud either, I usually only get the ear plugs out for bigger guns such as my 357 mag, 30-06, 308, Colt .45, etc.

Or maybe you have sensitive ears, anyways :)

You sure about that .22 pistol? Thats pretty weak, almost like a pellet gun strength wise. Not very loud either, I usually only get the ear plugs out for bigger guns such as my 357 mag, 30-06, 308, Colt .45, etc.

Or maybe you have sensitive ears, anyways :crazy:

I also have a .44mag, .45acp ect. but that is unrealistic to what a golf club sounds like. If you have ever shot a .22 pistol you would know they are almost ear piercing without ear protection especially with a 3 1/2 inch barrel, a .22 rifle yeah there not much louder than a pellet gun. :)

Ai Smoke TD Max 8.5* Tour AD VF-6X
Ping G430 LST 3w Ventus TR Black 7

Ping G430 Max 7w Ventus Red 8

PXG 0317T 4-P, SteelFiber PR

Ping i159 50*, 54*, 58*

L.A.B. DF2.1 Stability Tour

I also have a .44mag, .45acp ect. but that is unrealistic to what a golf club sounds like. If you have ever shot a .22 pistol you would know they are almost ear piercing without ear protection especially with a 3 1/2 inch barrel, a .22 rifle yeah there not much louder than a pellet gun. :)

Man, my Ruger .22 (based off the old German Luger) is not loud at all. Not ear piercing at all. My .22 rifle is about the same.

Anyways, back on subject.

The loudest driver I have ever hit is the Callaway X460.

Man, my Ruger .22 (based off the old German Luger) is not loud at all. Not ear piercing at all. My .22 rifle is about the same.

Anyways, back on subject.

The loudest driver I have ever hit is the Callaway X460.

You definitely need to hit a Cobra XX speed (6.5 or 8.5) --a lot louder than the Callaway.

Also a lesser known totally hand made out of forged SP 700 ti (not just the face insert) driver that is the loudest of any I have hit or owned is a Traditional TR-1. Big bucks though as you can specify everything just like an old persimmon driver. Size, face depth, lie angle, face angle, loft, bulge, roll, sole plate, alignment logo or not etc. etc.. Best of all still totally forged in Japan. Traditional golf is the one company that you don't have to worry about where it was forged---both drivers and irons say "forged in japan" on the sole or hosels (stamped)---no stickers or questions. May be the only japan only forged company left now that Miura is in Thailand and Mizuno is in China now.

just found the pic on usga.org. you can see a picture of the soleplate only of any/all drivers on the conforming list on the site...here is a link to the pic of the cobra hs9

http://www.usga.org/equipment/images/conf_clubs/20060447.JPG

Presently working on getting a 7 or an 8 (thanks for the picture :) ) since all they plan to bring to retail in the X is a 9 degree. I guess they aren't trying to get this driver into their pros bags.

The F and M are scheduled for June 1, but the Xs aren't going to be available until mid July. There will be no XX versions so I guess the LDA guys are sticking with the XXs or 450SZ Tours.