2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Big Break VI

Golf_Beauty

Have they gone overboard?
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Competition will be at an all-time high and shot-making a must when men and women battle it out for the first time on the next season of The Golf Channel’s hit reality series, The Big Break.

For the contestants, their participation also will be the ultimate test of mental toughness when America’s most-celebrated real estate tycoon-turned- TV star, Donald Trump, puts his personal stamp on the competition at his oceanfront masterpiece.

The Big Break VI: Trump National, scheduled to premiere on Sept. 26, will feature eight men and eight women competing with and against each other in an attempt to make their lifelong dreams reality. In addition to other prizes, the winners will be given the opportunity to compete with some of the best golfers in the world, with the male champion receiving sponsors’ exemptions to play in official events on the PGA TOUR’s Champions Tour in 2007 and the female champion invited to play in LPGA Tour events in 2007. Additionally, Trump will offer the winners his own reward, Trump-style!

The weekly drama will unfold on one of the most picturesque golf courses in the world, Trump National Golf Club, Los Angeles, located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula just 30 minutes south of downtown Los Angeles. Every hole is a sight to behold – with most perched just above the jagged California cliffs – and as the “most expensive golf course ever built,” the 18-hole layout offers a challenge to experienced and novice golfers, alike.

But it’s the aura of Trump and his ability to pop in and out of the series that will keep the contestants at the ready. In addition to welcoming the cast to one of the jewels of his collection of six golf courses around the world, he will make unannounced appearances throughout the series to reveal major twists in the competition.

The Big Break show concept pits highly skilled golfers against each other in a variety of challenges that test their physical skills and mental toughness. During The Big Break VI: Trump National, two golfers – one man and one woman – will be eliminated from the series each week, with the last man and woman players standing awarded their “Big Break,” a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to compete in select professional tour events with some of the best golfers in the world. The Big Break V: Hawaii will air its final episode Tuesday at 9 p.m. ET, where the winner will be crowned and awarded her invitation to participate in the LPGA’s Safeway Classic. Previous Big Break series have awarded winners chances to play on the European, Nationwide and Canadian tours.

“The Big Break is a tremendously popular and successful franchise for The Golf Channel, and we’re excited that we will be partnering with the Trump organization – and the man, himself – as well as with two of the world’s elite tours for the next edition,” said Golf Channel President David Manougian.

"With a Champions Tour tournament exemption on the line, The Big Break VI may well produce the next Dana Quigley," said Champions Tour president Rick George. "Many people remember Dana playing his way onto the Champions Tour nearly ten years ago as a Monday qualifier. Now, over $12 million later and a Player of the Year/Jack Nicklaus Trophy among his honors, he's at the top of his profession. You talk about your dream come true! It would be great to see something like that happen on Big Break VI."

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm an oddball but I enjoy watching it. I think partially it is due to the fact that my wife watches other reality TV shows and she watches this one with me. She is learning golf and the women one was actually good for her to see normal people swinging and playing and not elite super stars. It gives her the confidence to try and they weren't that bad actually.

Then again, maybe I'm just odd.

Sean

I think that TGC is going overboard on the BB basically because of what it's become. Originally, the BB was a group of scratch golfers, and put one of them on tour. But if you look at the BBV, Dana from Austrailia had already won 2 events on the Austrailian LPGA. Even if she had won the competition, how can you describe it as her "big break"? She's already had her break, and had she won it all that would've done was continued her fortunes. I agree, the competition is better with minitour players and such, but it would be a true "big break" for those who have never competed outside of say a club championship. Just my 2 cents.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

Actually I have enjoyed them all. Good entertainment for a Tuesday night. I don't look at it as trying to find the best golfers but as TV entertainment. I like to imagine how I would do in some of the skills challenges.

That's what a lot of people forget....that these challenges might not look so tough while you're sitting on your couch stuffing your face....but these guys basically go into each challenge totally cold. The camera crews and lighting crews have to get all set up and then the hair and makeup people come through and then finally after like 2 hours they're like "ok guys here's this 40 yard bunker shot...you get one try and the worst one goes home". Then after that one swing in the bunker it's another hour or two before they get set up at the next challenge.

I remember when Double D and Kipper played in the finals....Kip said that it was hard to get into a rythm because they'd tee off and walk to their ball in the fairway but then they'd have to wait for all of the camera crews to get into position before they could hit their next shot. He said it was about a 7 hour round (and that's just for a twosome with nobody in front of them).

The pressure, the cameras, all the people and distractions and above all that you only get one swing every 30 or 45 minutes....I say it's a lot tougher than we give credit for.

I think the show is relatively entertaining, but I could do without the commentators they have now. It's the same thing after every shot:

Man: "Oh, that's gonna be a tough up and down from there."

Woman: "Yep. It sure is."

(Both exit frame)

:)

I do give the players credit though, I get nervous enough when I hit into the 3rd green at my home course in NY. Its right outside the rear club house doors and theres always 15-20 people standing on the walkway while they wait for the starter to call them. I couldnt imagine hitting shots with cameras following me around.

Don't diss the BB players, TJ Valentine posts here.. I think the guys from his show all seemed to be a better caliber golfer than the previous shows though.

I agree. Being able to rise to the occassion on such a difficult layout showed the real talent of the BBIV guys.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]