2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Your Career

progolf4life

I'm a first year college student at the University of Cincinnati and was wondering what you guys do for a living. Here are my questions:

1. What's your current job?

2. How long have you been working in that specific field?

3. Do you have a college degree? (If so an Associates or Bachelors and what major)

4. Do you enjoy your job?

5. What's your salary?

6. Does your job allow time for hobbies?

7. What would you change about your job?

Feel free to answer any or all of the above questions and/or include tips/personal experiences.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Mgr Business Analytics and Projects for a restaurant chain corp office
2. I'm still learning the PM side and have worked in IT for several years, this job specifically since 06
3. Bachelors of Science in Economics
4. For the most part... Some good and bad in most jobs
5. Enough to live comfortably. Solid middle class
6. Yep, work pretty much standard business hours, but the job is also very flexible
7. Not too much. I like jobs that have a broad focus

1. Produce Broker
2. 20 yrs, plus summers in HS/college
3. Bachelors Science, Forest Management
4. At times, lots of conflict involved
5. Salary reflects owning my own business so it's better than most
6. On a daily basis yes, but I haven't taken 2 weeks off in more than 14 years or been out of contact w my office for more than 24 hours since 2007
7. Should concentrate on building a bigger business so I could avoid some of the day to day responsibilities, but that has it's own risks as well.

This is my second career. The first (Wildland Fire Fighting, Forestry) was a LOT more fun, but affirmative action was an obstacle I was likely to never overcome.

1. Lab tech for a state ran drinking water plant.
2. About 4 years
3. AA in chem, and state mandated liscenses and training.
4. Most of the time, I do all club repairs at work, and on here all day.
5. More than enough to support my club hoing.
6. Yeah 4 10's sun, mon, tues off. Out at 4 pm
7. So much safety concerns due to cl2 on site, chem guys know how deadly it is!

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9* Matrix 8M3
3 Wood: TM 16 M2 13* Diamana Thump 75
4-7 Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler 19* PX Evenflow
4 Iron: TM RSI TP UDI Aldila Rip'd VS Proto
5-PW: Bridgestone J15DF KBS C-Taper
50,56,60: Callaway MD3, Vokey TVD, Mizuno T7
Putter: Method 003, Bettinardi Queen B7

1. Scholarship Associate for AU
2. Around a year and a half
3. Yes, BS from UCF '03; Liberal Studies with concentrations in Biological and Physical sciences, minor in Criminal Justice (obviously unrelated to my current work :lol: )
4. It is a mixed bag, honestly. On one hand, it is VERY interesting stuff-- wish I knew all I know now before I went to college-- but on the other hand probably the worst thing is having to tell people really bad news sometimes; tears are not uncommon.
5. On paper it isn't impressive but the benefits are great and I live in a cheap but nice student-targeted apartment (this area has the cheapest off-campus housing of any campus I've seen), so I have money for my hobbies; golf, video games, rockhounding, ect. The library privileges are an incredible benefit too, as I love to read and we have one of the top ranked university libraries.
6. Yep; regular hours and never have to work weekends. We also get two weeks paid at Christmas.
7. Probably shouldn't go into that too much on a public forum, but there are things I would.

[quote name='progolf4life' date='05 February 2010 - 09:31 PM' timestamp='1265423466' post='2230851']
I'm a first year college student at the University of Cincinnati and was wondering what you guys do for a living. Here are my questions:

1. What's your current job?
2. How long have you been working in that specific field?
3. Do you have a college degree? (If so an Associates or Bachelors and what major)
4. Do you enjoy your job?
5. What's your salary?
6. Does your job allow time for hobbies?
7. What would you change about your job?

Feel free to answer any or all of the above questions and/or include tips/personal experiences.
[/quote]

1. Polyurethane Chemist
2. 5 years
3. Didn't finish, lucked out!
4. I really enjoy it, and it's such a specialized trade, it's a lock for job security
5. Enough that I don't worry, and can enjoy nice things.
6. Oh yeah, I work no overtime, never on the weekends, show up around 8am, gone before 5pm, and I have 4 weeks a year paid vacation.
7. Nothing, I lucked out, and work with some great people, and the owner treats me like a son.

1. Quality consultant in the offshore oil and gas industry
2. for the last 9 years, with the exception of about 6 months in 05.
3.no. I started out working QC in a manufacturing facility for $10/hr, and worked my way up to where I am at.
4. It has it's perks. I enjoy being my own boss and not having a set schedule, and not doing manual labor.
5. enough to live a pretty comfortable life.
6. Being that I dont have a set schedule, if work is slow, I am free to leave and do whatever, so long as what needs to be covered is covered. There was a time that I was playing 5 or so days a week, and still working.
7. Not really sure at this point.

1. Judge (Federal).
2. Was appointed in 1991; before that I was a trial attorney specializing in employment law for 8 years. Also spent some time in the military as a JAG Officer.
3. I have a B.A. and a Juris Doctor
4. I love my work.
5. About $150K
6. There is plenty of time for hobbies. I play golf one weekend day each week and I have time in the evenings to relax or do whatever. I even have time to be head coach of a local high school roller hockey team. I've coached roller hockey at all levels (rec, middle school, high school and travel) for 20 years.
7. I guess the one thing I'd change about my job would be to have Ian Poulter design a new line of robes. What's up with the solid black anyway?

1. mechanical engineer
2. 3 years
3. bachelors mechanical engineering
4. yes, I enjoy my job for the most part
5. I make enough to live comfortably and save money for a rainy day. Money is really not an issue these days.
6. Yes. Most salaried positions are reasonably flexible with your schedule. But, you will be a professional and you'll be expected to act like one. I usually leave early a couple days a week to go play golf, but I stay when something important arises. For me, I can work anywhere from 30 to 60 hours a week, but average about 45.
7. The people I work with (mormons). They're good folks we just don't have much in common.

Good luck in finding your way!

1. Financial Services/sales
2. 9 years and summers before that(family practice)
3. BS in Sociology
4. I'm a big believer that a job is part of life that can't, in most cases, be avoided. Does not have to be enjoyed as long as you don't hate it. The things I enjoy about life are my wife, daughter, friends, golf, dog etc.
5. Enough
6. You bet. I am my own boss for the most part.
7. Depends on when you ask.

1. Senior Accountant
2. Three years
3. BS in Accounting, probably will get a grad degree someday
4. Yes, for the most part
5. Enough to live comfortably in this part of the country and support my golf habit
6. Most of the time. As a salaried position when its slow I might put in easy 30-40hr weeks, but then there are times when 80-100hr weeks are common.
7. Not much, but my position at my firm makes you grow old real fast.

For those of you who work 60+hrs a week I have a question. Is it worth it? Is the money worth the trade off for the lack of time to have hobbies or spend time with your family? It seems like many of the 100K+ jobs come at a high cost. I'm not sure I can be happy working 60+hrs a week and making 100K+. Something like 75K and 40-45hrs a week seems far more appealing to me.

Even if your not working 60+hrs a week feel free to comment with your opinion on this topic.

I teach...and coach.

During football I easily surpass 60 hours a week with only one night a week truly being "off"...and we all know what teachers get paid haha, so I'm one of those instances of the looooooow paid 60+ jobs.

I hardly get to see my wife (even less so b/c she's a med student) and family in-season, the kids are my family, my kids, my job revolves around preparing them. As a matter of fact my wife and others have embraced the "football season widow" title in-season.

The thing is, I often daydream about the simple 9-5 jobs and how nice it would be to have that much time and make more money, but, the thing is I wouldn't and likely couldn't be happy doing that, I'm just built and meant to do what I'm dong now....and in the end, impacting so many lives in such a positive way is more than worth it.

This probably didn't help at all, but, its my take/story.

**edit (whoops, forgot this!)**

1. HS Teacher/Coach
2. 5 Years
3. Bachelors Secondary Education Social Studies/Minor History
4. Yes
5. 40,000+
6. Not significantly in season, so, 1/4 of the year, yes.
7. Pay me by the hour, I'd be a millionaire lol

[quote name='progolf4life' date='11 February 2010 - 07:57 PM' timestamp='1265939853' post='2245177']
For those of you who work 60+hrs a week I have a question. Is it worth it? Is the money worth the trade off for the lack of time to have hobbies or spend time with your family? It seems like many of the 100K+ jobs come at a high cost. I'm not sure I can be happy working 60+hrs a week and making 100K+. Something like 75K and 40-45hrs a week seems far more appealing to me.

Even if your not working 60+hrs a week feel free to comment with your opinion on this topic.
[/quote]

I usually work at least 60 hours, and honestly, I dont feel like I am missing out on much. I've just done it for so long that it is normal to me. I go in earlier than my wife, and we get home pretty close to the same time. Sometimes I get home sooner, sometimes later. I would love to make $75k and work 40hrs a week, but without a degree, I am somewhat limited in my options. Honestly though, I'm not sure I would be happy working 9-5 in an office. I like options. I like being able to duck out early. I dont like getting called in a 2am, after working a 12 hour day, jut to spend another 16+ hours there, but it is what it is. I did get hours cut back to 40 for a short period, and it honestly felt like I was working part time.

WOW, I am glad I don't work in the US! 60 hours a week is insane!

Do you guys really have to work like that to get good money?
Over here I don't know many people that work that long, yet I am still jealous of the French who have about a 35 hour week, with paid leave enforced if you go over the hours.

Two other observations I have.

I do know some people who work longer hours. My view is quality not quantity, some days I'll head off early if I have done what I wanted to get done, rather than wait for the hours to be up, or even stay longer to look good. I find there is only so much a person can do. Often 4-6 hours intense can be more productive than 8-10 hours ploughing along. It certainly seems to have done me no harm in my career.

Noone wants to talk about money! Sure there is no need to show off, or plead poverty, but if someone asks, it's better to just answer or decline to answer, rather than be cryptic about it.
I know these days it seems to be encouraged to keep money confidential, but really it is better to be open. If pay structures were open there would likely be a lot less backstabbing. If 2 people did the same job and one got more, the employer would have to justify why. I find there is nothing worse than a group of people doing the same job, but worrying more about how much each is getting paid.

To answer the questions

1. Accountant
2. Only been doing it about 2 years, used to be a software analyst but got bored.
3. I have a BSc in Computer Science & Internet Engineering, and an MSc in Finance, plus qualifications to be chartered.
4. Like anything it has ups and downs, but I enjoy it mostly which is why I chose it.
5. Hard to give a comparison as it can be anywhere between $100-$150k depending on exchange rates.
6. Yes, wouldn't be doing it otherwise.
7. Not much, I am happy with what I do.

[quote name='progolf4life' date='11 February 2010 - 08:57 PM' timestamp='1265939853' post='2245177']

[/quote]

I think it's worth it sometimes. I'm lucky that I barely do 40 hours a week, and my salary still treats me very well. If I had to work more hours, to make more, I would.

1. Manager at an Investment management firm
2. 10 years
3. BA in History, BS in Accounting, MBA in Finance. CPA is PA, DE and CO
4. It pays the bills
5. See #4
6. My current employer and past employer both had corporate owned country clubs that employess were encouraged to join. I am still a member at both clubs and play 3-5 times a week.
7. Less hours and more travel.

[quote name='surefire' date='12 February 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1265984987' post='2246090']

Noone wants to talk about money! Sure there is no need to show off, or plead poverty, but if someone asks, it's better to just answer or decline to answer, rather than be cryptic about it.
I know these days it seems to be encouraged to keep money confidential, but really it is better to be open. If pay structures were open there would likely be a lot less backstabbing. If 2 people did the same job and one got more, the employer would have to justify why. I find there is nothing worse than a group of people doing the same job, but worrying more about how much each is getting paid.

[/quote]

I disagree. I have people that work for me, that do the same job.. One instance, one has been there longer, and gets paid a bit more. I also have a situation where someone does a better job than the other. I don't think it's fair that you should get paid the same, if you don't work as well as someone else, just because you do the same job.

I think being modest, in terms of your income is just that, polite. People might make more, or less, but it's your business. Being open, could come off wrong to others.. I have people that do manual labor.. They make $10 an hour, and barely make ends meet with their families. They don't eat out, they don't have extra money to spend on things.. Should I be open about what I make, and tell them I drive a car that cost half of what their home cost? Or that I'm a member of a private club, and play golf with equipment that is 4 times their monthly income?

At that point, it's being rude, and an employer is NEVER justified in explaining why they pay someone more than another coworker. Keeping it quiet, keeps the bickering at a minimum.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='12 February 2010 - 03:06 PM' timestamp='1266015990' post='2247329']
[quote name='surefire' date='12 February 2010 - 09:29 AM' timestamp='1265984987' post='2246090']Noone wants to talk about money! Sure there is no need to show off, or plead poverty, but if someone asks, it's better to just answer or decline to answer, rather than be cryptic about it. I know these days it seems to be encouraged to keep money confidential, but really it is better to be open. If pay structures were open there would likely be a lot less backstabbing. If 2 people did the same job and one got more, the employer would have to justify why. I find there is nothing worse than a group of people doing the same job, but worrying more about how much each is getting paid.[/quote]I disagree. I have people that work for me, that do the same job.. One instance, one has been there longer, and gets paid a bit more. I also have a situation where someone does a better job than the other. I don't think it's fair that you should get paid the same, if you don't work as well as someone else, just because you do the same job.I think being modest, in terms of your income is just that, polite. People might make more, or less, but it's your business. Being open, could come off wrong to others.. I have people that do manual labor.. They make $10 an hour, and barely make ends meet with their families. They don't eat out, they don't have extra money to spend on things.. Should I be open about what I make, and tell them I drive a car that cost half of what their home cost? Or that I'm a member of a private club, and play golf with equipment that is 4 times their monthly income?At that point, it's being rude, and an employer is NEVER justified in explaining why they pay someone more than another coworker. Keeping it quiet, keeps the bickering at a minimum.

my thoughts exactly. I know the money thing is just for reference but it we say enough or comfortable I would think it would be a career you might consider. I do not want to offend anybody, I worked construction for 3 years getting 12$ an hour and went to school at night and online at that time I might have been offended by some one saying how much money they make when I worked very hard for what I made. I see where i'm at now and am a very different person, having to worry about money can take alot out of you and make you resent people who do make alot for not working as hard. Just my opinion
[/quote]

WITB:

how did I reply inside of a quote? Stupid phone!

WITB:

[quote name='surefire' date='12 February 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1265984987' post='2246090']

Noone wants to talk about money! [b]Sure there is no need to show off, or plead poverty, but if someone asks, it's better to just answer or decline to answer, rather than be cryptic about it. [/b]
I know these days it seems to be encouraged to keep money confidential, but really it is better to be open. If pay structures were open there would likely be a lot less backstabbing. If 2 people did the same job and one got more, [b]the employer would have to justify why[/b]. I find there is nothing worse than a group of people doing the same job, but worrying more about how much each is getting paid.
[/quote]

To the two posts above.

Notice in my quote I mentioned about showing off and pleading poverty. If someone just randomly posted how rich they are, I agree thats pointless. If someone directly asks how much you earn in your job that's another situtation. Better to directly answer the question, or decline, rather than try to imply something without giving an answer.

I also covered the point about two people doing the same job but one being better, the justification the employer would give would be skill level or experience. My point was it's destructive when people are more worried about working out who is ahead, instead of getting on with things.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='12 February 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1266015990' post='2247329']

At that point, it's being rude, and an employer is NEVER justified in explaining why they pay someone more than another coworker. Keeping it quiet, keeps the bickering at a minimum.
[/quote]

Why is it being rude?
I know honesty is not PC these days, but c'mon!

In a true free market everything should be open. If someone earns less, they can ask for more, if they deserve it they will get it. If they don't get it and they truly deserve it they can take their services elsewhere and get what they deserve.

Unless an employer is paying people more because they are buddies or some other underhand reason, where would the problem be?

[quote name='surefire' date='13 February 2010 - 11:58 AM' timestamp='1266080284' post='2248882']
[quote name='surefire' date='12 February 2010 - 02:29 PM' timestamp='1265984987' post='2246090']

Noone wants to talk about money! [b]Sure there is no need to show off, or plead poverty, but if someone asks, it's better to just answer or decline to answer, rather than be cryptic about it. [/b]
I know these days it seems to be encouraged to keep money confidential, but really it is better to be open. If pay structures were open there would likely be a lot less backstabbing. If 2 people did the same job and one got more, [b]the employer would have to justify why[/b]. I find there is nothing worse than a group of people doing the same job, but worrying more about how much each is getting paid.
[/quote]

To the two posts above.

Notice in my quote I mentioned about showing off and pleading poverty. If someone just randomly posted how rich they are, I agree thats pointless. If someone directly asks how much you earn in your job that's another situtation. Better to directly answer the question, or decline, rather than try to imply something without giving an answer.

I also covered the point about two people doing the same job but one being better, the justification the employer would give would be skill level or experience. My point was it's destructive when people are more worried about working out who is ahead, instead of getting on with things.
[/quote]

To try and skew the difference between openly telling how much one makes, and then difference between being asked how much you make is silly. The end result is someone knowing how much you make. There is no difference. To dictate that because someone asked, their intentions are better than someone who gloats? Sure declining is always an option, but I've never openly asked anyone how much they make. Thats none of my business. I don't need to know someones salary, or how much they have in their 401K.

Then again, I see it similar to walking into someones home, and openly asking how much it cost them. Matters none to me, and I don't think someone needs to explain or justify any purchase or any amount of income they have.

Does it irk you that if you asked how much I made, that I wouldn't answer? I've been asked how much I make, by less than 5 people in my life. Most of them, were rude.

It rubs me the wrong way when someone asks me. I don't want to be judged because of it. Maybe it's because I'm younger!

1. What's your current job? [b]CPGA Golf Professional[/b]
2. How long have you been working in that specific field? [b]5 years in the golf industry[/b]
3. Do you have a college degree? [b]Yes, Business Admin[/b]
4. Do you enjoy your job? [b]Yes[/b]
5. What's your salary? [b]$36,000/yr plus teaching ontop, and other "bonuses"[/b]
6. Does your job allow time for hobbies? [b]Yes especially in the offseason, but the more you work (teach) the more money you can make[/b]
7. What would you change about your job? [b]Hours during peak season for sure[/b]

[quote name='surefire' date='13 February 2010 - 12:07 PM' timestamp='1266080828' post='2248901']
[quote name='FATC1TY' date='12 February 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1266015990' post='2247329']

[/quote]

Why is it being rude?
I know honesty is not PC these days, but c'mon!

In a true free market everything should be open. If someone earns less, they can ask for more, if they deserve it they will get it. If they don't get it and they truly deserve it they can take their services elsewhere and get what they deserve.

Unless an employer is paying people more because they are buddies or some other underhand reason, where would the problem be?
[/quote]

It's being rude to ask someone anything personal. Do you freely give out your social security number? What about your credit card number? Do you think you should put a notice up in your yard about how much your house cost, or even your car?

There comes a point in a free market for stragglers, and for achievers. The line between two, get greater and greater. People don't have the same driver or ambitions to move up the ladder.

It's like being an employee at a company and the boss comes in, and gloats that he has a $1M house, a $500K vacation home on the coast.. That he just bought his wife a new E class Mercedes, put his children through the best schools, and eats at the finest places every evening.

Would you show some resentment that you work just as hard as he does, but you don't have the title and the pay? That you can't eat out, ever.. That your 40 year old car gets a leaky tire every week, and you have to jump start it once a month? That your children are over 28 and live at home with no schooling and no jobs. Or that your home needs a new roof, is 90 years old, and has a terrible draft running through it?

By your logic, everyone in a workplace should know what everyone else makes. If that were the case, no work would get done. Everyone would assume they should make more, because someone else makes more. Fighting would be common place!! People would find a reason to bicker about a co-worker, to give them leverage to make more money. There would be no team work at all. People would demand more money.. some would get it, others wouldn't, and where would that leave the company? Forced to make ends meet.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='13 February 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1266082434' post='2248960']

To try and skew the difference between openly telling how much one makes, and then difference between being asked how much you make is silly. The end result is someone knowing how much you make. There is no difference. To dictate that because someone asked, their intentions are better than someone who gloats? Sure declining is always an option, but I've never openly asked anyone how much they make. Thats none of my business. I don't need to know someones salary, or how much they have in their 401K.

Then again, I see it similar to walking into someones home, and openly asking how much it cost them. Matters none to me, and I don't think someone needs to explain or justify any purchase or any amount of income they have.

Does it irk you that if you asked how much I made, that I wouldn't answer? I've been asked how much I make, by less than 5 people in my life. Most of them, were rude.

It rubs me the wrong way when someone asks me. I don't want to be judged because of it. Maybe it's because I'm younger!
[/quote]

Does it irk me? Not at all, in fact I probably wouldn't ask, I was just referring to this post.

The guy on this post asked a question, if you or others don't want to answer, I just thought you or they would be better off not posting, rather than all the other obscure answers that have been given.

As for the open salary issue, just from personal experience I have worked in places where all salaries were published and where talking about money was strictly forbidden. In my experience the openly published workplace had far less sneaky politics and agendas. Of course knowledge of salaries wasn't the only reason, but it certainly helped.

One final point on this, and a pretty important one is perception. For instance either myself or someone else on this post has possibly rubbed you up the wrong way. I'm guessing the OP didn't plan to do that, and it certainly wasn't my intention.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='13 February 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1266083178' post='2248985']

By your logic, everyone in a workplace should know what everyone else makes. If that were the case, no work would get done. Everyone would assume they should make more, because someone else makes more. Fighting would be common place!! People would find a reason to bicker about a co-worker, to give them leverage to make more money. There would be no team work at all. People would demand more money.. some would get it, others wouldn't, and where would that leave the company? Forced to make ends meet.
[/quote]

I was going to leave it on my last post, because it kind of said what I need, but this point is too interesting not to reply to.

As I mentioned, I have had to work in such an environment. It was actually one of the nicest and most productive places I have worked.

Team work was great, people knew who made what and if someone made more, people understood why, and the right people got promoted. Hence no arguing and bickering. There were none of those people who suck up to bosses, and consequently the people who dislike them.

As for the demanding money situation thing, that certainly didn't happen, wages were fair and in line with the market.

Funnily enough though, whenever I mention it, people always assume the same as you have posted here.

[quote name='surefire' date='13 February 2010 - 04:00 PM' timestamp='1266094800' post='2249343']
[quote name='FATC1TY' date='13 February 2010 - 05:33 PM' timestamp='1266082434' post='2248960']

[/quote]

Does it irk me? Not at all, in fact I probably wouldn't ask, I was just referring to this post.

The guy on this post asked a question, if you or others don't want to answer, I just thought you or they would be better off not posting, rather than all the other obscure answers that have been given.

As for the open salary issue, just from personal experience I have worked in places where all salaries were published and where talking about money was strictly forbidden. In my experience the openly published workplace had far less sneaky politics and agendas. Of course knowledge of salaries wasn't the only reason, but it certainly helped.

One final point on this, and a pretty important one is perception. For instance either myself or someone else on this post has possibly rubbed you up the wrong way. I'm guessing the OP didn't plan to do that, and it certainly wasn't my intention.
[/quote]

I wasn't personally rubbed the wrong way with this post.. I just took note of the difference in opinion and thought it was interesting someone liked everyone knowing exactly what they made salary wise. I have never heard of such a thing before.

I don't think the answers were obscure at all. I think if someone asks like the OP did, I think it's being polite and modest in a simple way to not put a specific number. It might not mean jack squat to some, but it's sensitive to others. If everyone was making around the same, then no one would bother, but being a wide array of people from throughout the world, it's going to be different.

But by saying, "I live comfortable.", "I can enjoy nice things, and don't struggle." I think it's plain enough english to many that the job pays well enough that people aren't selling their heirlooms and blood every weekend to make the mortgage payment and car note. That they can enjoy the luxury of the game of golf.

I'm only 25, and I make fantastic money, and I didn't finish college. My peers, some have massive amounts of debt from school, and/or have no job. They'll ask what I make, and I tell them I do good. They can tell obviously because I'm not complaining and enjoying my life. But I'm not going to sit there and tell them to their face that our household income is 6-figures, and that we live comfortable.. Them knowing, makes them none the wiser.

It's akin to going up and asking your boss how much he makes and what kinda perks and kickbacks he gets from the company. Thats inappropriate.