Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='arydolphin' timestamp='1279910975' post='2594954']
Martin,
I am a 13-handicap right now, and go to the range 1-2 times per week and play 18 at least once a week. My swing speed with the driver is around 100, so that would put me into the Tour Striker Pro range, but I also saw the listing that mid and high-handicappers may be better suited for the regular Tour Striker. Any thoughts on which way I should go if I purchase this product? Thanks for your help!
[/quote]

Ary, I tell most folks to get the Pro. It's hard and requires more precision. Besides, you can always put the ball on a short tee or fluffy turf until you build precision.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tbfoster1' timestamp='1279912155' post='2594990']
Has anyone tried to hit one of those "BirdieBall" practice cylinder things with the TS? I just ordered some birdieballs last night to hit in a field next to my apartment and thought it would be pretty cool if I could use my TS with these. I've only seen the birdieball through a picture and at 1st glance it looks like it wouldn't work out too well with the TS
[/quote]

Hmmm...I have some in the car. I'm going to try it!

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1278829653' post='2568171']
[quote name='keble' date='10 July 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1278791826' post='2567206']
two questions: 1, to keep the lag in downswing, should I have the feel in my right index finger in downswing as Jeff from PBS mentioned?
2, from youtube video, about impact drill. that's smilar to 9 to 3 drill. The clubhead should be released after impact using my right shoulder, right? (I shouldn't have the feeling I released with my hands after impact, right? the clubhead is closed by turning my shoulder after impact? )

James

[/quote]

James, the mass of the club sets onto the base knuckle of the right index finger during transition. If you can relax and the club face isn't in a position the "makes you need to fix it" you can likely deliver that mass to an aiming point beyond the ball. Most Ams can't do that because they HAVE to fix the face somehow to make the ball go somewhat straight.

I'm not sure I've seen the 9 to 3 drill. I've seen a guy with a good action hit a bunch of pitch shots on Slice Fixer's thread, is that it?

The club isn't released with the right shoulder. The club head is released in a variety of ways. IMO, it's best when gravity determines that it seek an inline condition with the left arm. The right shoulder feel (very common) driving downward helps drive angles. Angles eventually are overcome by the mass at the end of the stick (club head) and release occurs.

The club face is "squared" by a variety of ways too. Ideally, it's a combination of pivot and forearm rotation.

I'm not sure those comments help?

[quote name='GolfinVan' date='10 July 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1278811250' post='2567729']
I'm having trouble 'hitting with the pivot' instead of my arms. I saw a towel drill from MC somewhere, but can't find it now. Is this video still out there?
[/quote]

Go to www.tourstriker.com and watch the TS video in the Media section. I learned that as a kid and forgot about it until I saw Brian Manzella's Confessions of a Former Flipper video. That's a video that should be in everyone's collection. It's inexpensive and you can get it on his website.

[quote name='bortass' date='10 July 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1278825707' post='2568119']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='10 July 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1278778371' post='2566878']
Bort, what shot shape are your misses with the woods?
[/quote]

Popups and slices for the most part. The popups are most common and a fairly development.
[/quote]

Too steep!!!!! Wider stance, ball off the left instep, left ear to the right of the ball. Hit up a little.... [b][u][size="4"]Don't throw the club past your hands[/size],[/u][/b] but hit up.

You also want to check that clubface. Steep typically screams too open and you need to make an adjustment. You can get away with an open face with irons a lot more than a driver.

[/quote]

This could be an eye opener, please clarify.

[quote name='tommypar72' timestamp='1279936371' post='2595643']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1278829653' post='2568171']
[quote name='keble' date='10 July 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1278791826' post='2567206']
two questions: 1, to keep the lag in downswing, should I have the feel in my right index finger in downswing as Jeff from PBS mentioned?
2, from youtube video, about impact drill. that's smilar to 9 to 3 drill. The clubhead should be released after impact using my right shoulder, right? (I shouldn't have the feeling I released with my hands after impact, right? the clubhead is closed by turning my shoulder after impact? )

James

[/quote]

James, the mass of the club sets onto the base knuckle of the right index finger during transition. If you can relax and the club face isn't in a position the "makes you need to fix it" you can likely deliver that mass to an aiming point beyond the ball. Most Ams can't do that because they HAVE to fix the face somehow to make the ball go somewhat straight.

I'm not sure I've seen the 9 to 3 drill. I've seen a guy with a good action hit a bunch of pitch shots on Slice Fixer's thread, is that it?

The club isn't released with the right shoulder. The club head is released in a variety of ways. IMO, it's best when gravity determines that it seek an inline condition with the left arm. The right shoulder feel (very common) driving downward helps drive angles. Angles eventually are overcome by the mass at the end of the stick (club head) and release occurs.

The club face is "squared" by a variety of ways too. Ideally, it's a combination of pivot and forearm rotation.

I'm not sure those comments help?

[quote name='GolfinVan' date='10 July 2010 - 06:20 PM' timestamp='1278811250' post='2567729']
I'm having trouble 'hitting with the pivot' instead of my arms. I saw a towel drill from MC somewhere, but can't find it now. Is this video still out there?
[/quote]

Go to www.tourstriker.com and watch the TS video in the Media section. I learned that as a kid and forgot about it until I saw Brian Manzella's Confessions of a Former Flipper video. That's a video that should be in everyone's collection. It's inexpensive and you can get it on his website.

[quote name='bortass' date='10 July 2010 - 10:21 PM' timestamp='1278825707' post='2568119']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' date='10 July 2010 - 12:12 PM' timestamp='1278778371' post='2566878']
Bort, what shot shape are your misses with the woods?
[/quote]

Popups and slices for the most part. The popups are most common and a fairly development.
[/quote]

Too steep!!!!! Wider stance, ball off the left instep, left ear to the right of the ball. Hit up a little.... [b][u][size="4"]Don't throw the club past your hands[/size],[/u][/b] but hit up.

You also want to check that clubface. Steep typically screams too open and you need to make an adjustment. You can get away with an open face with irons a lot more than a driver.

[/quote]

[/quote]

If I may: When I'm driving the ball my absolute best, there is a distinct feeling like I'm hitting a topspin forehand in tennis. So while my left arm and club are extending, the left shoulder is rising through the impact zone. This action also seems to add some clubhead speed (due to the club seeking an inline condition with the left arm). In reality, the clubhead itself is not rising much at all, really just shallowing out as it comes in through impact (due to the release/uncocking of the left wrist which increases the arc that the clubhead is traveling on). What's happening is that the shoulders are not rotating level, they are rotating on plane, perpendicular to the spine. Most people who are too steep keep the left shoulder down or rotate the shoulders level to the ground or have the misconception that they should keep the shoulders square (parallel to the target line) through impact, IMO. These things can all cause the clubhead to pass the hands and come in too steep before impact.

[quote]

If I may: When I'm driving the ball my absolute best, there is a distinct feeling like I'm hitting a topspin forehand in tennis. So while my left arm and club are extending, the left shoulder is rising through the impact zone. This action also seems to add some clubhead speed (due to the club seeking an inline condition with the left arm). In reality, the clubhead itself is not rising much at all, really just shallowing out as it comes in through impact (due to the release/uncocking of the left wrist which increases the arc that the clubhead is traveling on). What's happening is that the shoulders are not rotating level, they are rotating on plane, perpendicular to the spine. Most people who are too steep keep the left shoulder down or rotate the shoulders level to the ground or have the misconception that they should keep the shoulders square (parallel to the target line) through impact, IMO. These things can all cause the clubhead to pass the hands and come in too steep before impact.
[/quote]

Excellent description and reality. Well done.

I will add one point of caution...upward strikes generally produce too much positive club path (in to out) and invite rapid face closure.

TRY and add upward strike with a little left-ward path...

Brian Manzella taught me a cool visual about this at his last GTE. I have a video in the can with my perspective and I'll post it soon.

• 4 weeks later...

[attachment=644901:2010-08-17 001.jpg][attachment=644890:2010-08-17 002.jpg][attachment=644893:2010-08-17 001.jpg]After a mistake of ordering the TSP instead of the TS, simply because I was looking at all just to get different angle looks.
I made one from a old forged 5 iron I had bought at a local shop for $2 to see if I wanted to go to forged irons. It did work but looked a little crude, but I could see how it would help so I ordered.
Received really fast ordered late night Monday got it on Thursday morning. I did call when I noticed I had ordered the pro instead of the TS, great customer service said to try and if I wanted to exchange would do for $10, but to try it first. Well I did first hit a foam ball in the house or should say rolled the first few then got a couple in the air. Time to set up the net and get some shots in the backyard off a mat, lots of rolling or low shots, head to the range could barely get any in the air, but tried my 7 iron and could already see progress. Off to the course to my surprise could see an improvement in my ball striking, not good score but solid ball striking just aim and length is now off. While there found a little piece of bare ground and thought why not throw down a ball down and see if I can hit it with the TSP, wow a solid 155 yard shot just as pretty as you could be. Ok this thing is staying in my bag.
In the last 2 days I have hit probably 400 balls easy in between net, range, and foam balls in the house, still missing a lot with the TSP but my 7 iron has really came alive every shot.

Thanks Martin for a great product.
Steve Maxwell

[attachment=644900:2010-08-17 002.jpg]

Steve, that looks almost like my first try in the Cart Barn in Reno!! After testing on students in early '07, I realized I needed to take off some of the toe. Folks who turn flip the face closed could also get that elevated leading edge below the equator, so I didn't want to reward that behavior;)

Thanks for the post and your support!

Cheers,

MC

I just got my TSP from TGW after waiting almost a month. Tried it at range, and I think it's hella fun if nothing else. In a way, I had expected the TSP to force me lag the club more than it does. I didn't really have a lot of difficulty hitting the ball up in the air and go very straight. Trying to draw with it was a whole other story.....

I did frustrate the heck out of a buddy who's a sweeper.. LOL

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

Whoa this locked thread is back from the dead partytime2.gif

Yes! You'll clearly see the "Sponsor" title under my screen name now...I guess you have to pay to play. I'm still not going to tell anyone to buy the club. If they want one, great. If they don't, fine and I'm still here to help with questions, etc.

Is there a discount for GWRX'ers?

I'm working on it. I'm trying to get GolfWrx to be an affiliate. We'll see how it goes.

I just got my TSP from TGW after waiting almost a month. Tried it at range, and I think it's hella fun if nothing else. In a way, I had expected the TSP to force me lag the club more than it does. I didn't really have a lot of difficulty hitting the ball up in the air and go very straight. Trying to draw with it was a whole other story.....

Make sure you have a tight-ish lie. I see a lot of "fluffy" ranges. If it didn't make you do anything different or benefit you, send it back. Thanks for buying one!

I'm on my way to the Jeld-Wen right now. Bobby Clampett is a big fan of the TSP. That make us even, because I'm a big fan of Bobby. Man, he can sure hit it; long and pure.

Through him, I'm dropping one off for David Frost.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1282496218' post='2654826']
[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1282449365' post='2654235']

[/quote]

Make sure you have a tight-ish lie. I see a lot of "fluffy" ranges. If it didn't make you do anything different or benefit you, send it back. Thanks for buying one!

[/quote]

It's a range that uses 1" mats on concret, so I guess the lie could be considered very tight.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean TSP wasn't helpful. Consistency is the goal in this game. I use to be a flipper and have spent most of this year making swing changes, and this thing definitely shows me each time I didn't lag it well. I have many friends who are more novice golfers and I have had a hard time getting them the idea of hitting down on the ball. This club would do wonders for them as well.

No I am NOT sending this back.. LOL... actually I want to get the 7 iron too!!!

BTW... anyone tried to hit punch shots with TSP? Try it if you haven't.... :cheesy:

PXG SD 58*

I got my TS last month. I had some time to kill and walked into the PGA Superstore in Roswell, GA to feed this new addiction of mine. So I was just meandering and what do I see, but a whole rack of TS products!

I didn't waste a second, I snatched up the last remaining TS on the rack (the rest were TSP, the 7, and the "elderly" version I think...), and proceeded to the check out.

From there, I was directly to the range and went through an entire large bucket of balls with the TS. Wow. What an experience. I'm on a few months into the game and this thing has been an amazing training aid. My instructor thinks it is magnificent, and may add it to his teaching tools. I digress, after that large bucket, I got a medium bucket and started going through my clubs. I could not miss. Ball striking was great!

Now... If I had a clue about aiming the damn ball... Course management... Ya know... the "little" stuff.

This club is so much fun to use, and it attracts quite a bit of attention on the range. It is even more entertaining as guys take a crack at using it. Reality checks all around.

My question to you Martin is this: I've had the TS about a month, I'm now at a point where I'm fairly consistent with the "regular" TS. I practice a minimum of four days a week with it as part of my range time. Would it be more prudent to move to the TSP? Or one of the other clubs?

[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1282539634' post='2656085']

BTW... anyone tried to hit punch shots with TSP? Try it if you haven't.... :cheesy:
[/quote]

Oh you're a funny guy...

I just stepped outside my office door with a few golf balls I found while walking my dog. :fool:

Now I'm torqued. That was just not funny. I had to go Tour Strike a squirrel to feel better. Sheesh... Those things slice when ya hit em.:crazy:

Got my wedge and TSP last week and finally got a chance to try them out yesterday. I was really nervous since the range was full of people. It was a mat range with the newer type of mats. The color is kinda dark olive and they are not fluffy or anything.

Started with the wedge. Boom! Got it up in the air and landed between the 75 and 100yd flags. Took a few more swings and had no problems with getting the ball in the air.

Next was the TSP. That small contact area looked really intimidating. Took a nice smooth swing and boom! got it almost to the 150yd flag. I was able to hit almost every shot like a normal iron although some shots were fading a little.

I was really surprised that I was able to hit both without any problems. Always thought I had a little flip in my swing. I take nice divots when I play. However, my divots start right under the ball and the deepest part is closer to the ball than the 4 inches people are talking about. I may not an over the top swing and coming down at a really steep angle to create such a divot.

Or somehow manipulating the club to get the balls in the air with the TSW and TSP?

[quote name='vinman' timestamp='1282845692' post='2663485']
well i ordered the TS Pro, but cant seem to find out tracking info as the website doesnt work :P when you select TRACK for order gives webpage error. So martin anyway to find out when im getting my TSP ?

thx
Vince
[/quote]

Check your email. I got shipping notice a couple of hours after placing the order. It should be from UPS Quantum View or something like that.

[quote name='vinman' timestamp='1282846544' post='2663520']
nope no email from UPS
but see this when i login to site

Order# Recipient Placed Total Ship Date
11xxxxx Vincent xxxxxxx . 8/24/2010 5:55:02 PM $114.94 08.25.10 track
but the track icon goes nowhere
Completed Sales
[/quote]

Sorry! I sent you a PM. We'll get it cleared up right away. Cheers, MC

[quote name='BrianOravetz' timestamp='1282590911' post='2657118']
[quote name='mister2cool' timestamp='1282539634' post='2656085']
[/quote]

Oh you're a funny guy...
I just stepped outside my office door with a few golf balls I found while walking my dog. :fool:
Now I'm torqued. That was just not funny. I had to go Tour Strike a squirrel to feel better. Sheesh... Those things slice when ya hit em.:crazy:
[/quote]

Oh c'mon.. go pick on something your own size!

I was just trying to find what else I could do with TSP, or couldn't do to be more precise, No matter how I tried, I couldn't hit a stinger with this...

PXG SD 58*

Funny you mention "stinger" or punch shots.

I met up with David Frost last week during the Tradition. He wanted a TSP after spending a bit of time with Bobby Clampett who is a fan of the training club. David got it specifically to work on his punch shots. He's REALLY into his impact alignments right now and he's working with a German coach whom I don't know.

Funny, Olin Browne brought a Tour Striker out of his bag to help a student during a clinic last week!

I'm amazed how this thing is getting around. Very lucky indeed!