Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1283141884' post='2668065']
Martin,

Are there any way to "cheat" this club?
[/quote]

Absolutely! The lie dictates the challenge. At Tetherow Golf Club, we are on super tight fescue, so the ball is darn near on the dirt. If you use the club off fluffy grass, you can still scoop it and lose the benefit of the tool.

Ideally, You'll find a closely mown area. The fringe of a green is the length I'm talking about if you don't have a tight turf range. Old hard range mats work well too.

I tell people to try and get the leading edge of the TS as close to the ground as possible. To do that, you have to rotate AND turn down your left wrist. This is a move that most ams don't have.

Thanks for the question. Keep'm coming!

Martin

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin,

I've been hitting them off range mats. The ball marks left on the wedge are towards the bottom of the sweet spot, not in the center area. However, the ball goes really high and about the distance of my normal wedge. I am not sure if the mat is too soft that it allows the club to dig under the ball to get it up in the air. I think it's the same for the TSP. Ball flight and distance are like my regular iron. Maybe I need to get my hands more in front at impact. I know from videos that they are infront of the club, but maybe not enough.

Gonna keep working on it!

[quote name='mx6262' timestamp='1283178227' post='2668545']
I havent recived mine yet but could this club promote a "over the top" move????

Anyone out there created any "bad moves"

Just woundering....................
[/quote]

This is what I am wondering when I asked about "cheating" the club. Not sure if I am coming down steeper to get the ball up from having over the top move.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1279117675' post='2575198']
[quote name='banshee' date='14 July 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1279093584' post='2574857']
Hey Martin,

Still can't buy the ts pro in reg flex steel shaft. Are you getting any in soon?
[/quote]

I'm sorry! We won't have the TSP in regular steel for another 45 days. I didn't think it would be that popular and I was wrong. If you want the TSP in regular graphite, we'll give that to you for the same price.Call 541 390 7324 if you want one.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]
Martin-

Any update as to when the TSP will be available in a regular steel shaft? Thanks.

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1283184496' post='2668818']

[/quote]

This is what I am wondering when I asked about "cheating" the club. Not sure if I am coming down steeper to get the ball up from having over the top move.
[/quote]

The idea is great but it looks like it could promote the Cheeting/over the top move.....I would love to try it....

[/quote]

Over the top move...

This is one of the most misunderstood things by players and teachers in the game. Could the TS clubs promote someone with a really bad grip to get OTT. Yes.

IF...you have a really poor grip to face relationship and the face is wide open. That said, at least your new steeper swing will start the ball "left" enough to find it around the green and not in the right trees.

Typically TS owners realize that their weak left hand doesn't allow them to get the tool to work, so they adjust it to a place where they can get the leading edge a little lower. The net of this is a shallower and right-ward path.

I don't want steep swing. I want 4-6 degrees of downward strike WITH forward lean. That's not much downward strike.

OTT: I wish I had a nickel for every "OTT" shot called out by a player who really only hit a closed face pull.

[quote name='Sushiyoshi' timestamp='1283184316' post='2668806']
Martin,

I've been hitting them off range mats. The ball marks left on the wedge are towards the bottom of the sweet spot, not in the center area. However, the ball goes really high and about the distance of my normal wedge. I am not sure if the mat is too soft that it allows the club to dig under the ball to get it up in the air. I think it's the same for the TSP. Ball flight and distance are like my regular iron. Maybe I need to get my hands more in front at impact. I know from videos that they are infront of the club, but maybe not enough.

Gonna keep working on it!
[/quote]

Sushi, you won't hit balls of the center of the striking surface. You'll be lucky to catch it off the second to third groove. You are doing well. Have you seen any transfer into your normal club strikes??? That's what I want to know.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Me too. I haven't seen anyone get worse using the TS yet. I have had to tell people "not to take the whole bottle," meaning that too much shaft lean and not enough pivot can produce to right-ward path.

[quote name='PsychoB' timestamp='1283186424' post='2668892']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1279117675' post='2575198']
[quote name='banshee' date='14 July 2010 - 12:46 AM' timestamp='1279093584' post='2574857']
Hey Martin,

Still can't buy the ts pro in reg flex steel shaft. Are you getting any in soon?
[/quote]

I'm sorry! We won't have the TSP in regular steel for another 45 days. I didn't think it would be that popular and I was wrong. If you want the TSP in regular graphite, we'll give that to you for the same price.Call 541 390 7324 if you want one.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]
Martin-

Any update as to when the TSP will be available in a regular steel shaft? Thanks.
[/quote]

Sorry for the delay. Now I'm being told September 7th. Thanks

[quote name='mx6262' timestamp='1283193909' post='2669192']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The idea is great but it looks like it could promote the Cheeting/over the top move.....I would love to try it....
[/quote]

It's pretty tough to have forward lean and be OTT. If you were super stubborn, you'd watch a few shots barely get airborn and fly low and left. Then you'd add a little bump to the left (axis tilt) and swing a bit more to right field and voila... a decent golf shot.

btw...that's all the French I know.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1283233653' post='2670729']

Sushi, you won't hit balls of the center of the striking surface. You'll be lucky to catch it off the second to third groove. You are doing well. Have you seen any transfer into your normal club strikes??? That's what I want to know.

[/quote]

Im glad that this was asked. I also thought that I was supposed to be making contact with the center of the face and the only way it was possible was with such a ridiculous amount of forward lean that it was un-hittable.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

for some weird reason, i hit the TS better than my regular irons. i'll hit about 10 good shots w/the TS (nice, high, relatively straight shots about 145-150 yards). then i switch to my 7 iron, and i start pulling my ball to the left. - the ball goes about 30-50 yards left of my target. what's going on?

(i'm tempted to use my tour striker instead of my 8 iron when playing!)

[quote name='fish dude' timestamp='1283317123' post='2672915']
Martin: Does this come in lefty? Reckon I could just drive over to Teth and ask in person. Mike in Sisters
[/quote]

Come on by. You are welcome to use my demos and see which one suits your needs. If I'm not around, ask my staff to grab the lefties for your. They are in a bag in my office.

[quote name='Hawaiianhacker' timestamp='1283360060' post='2673649']
for some weird reason, i hit the TS better than my regular irons. i'll hit about 10 good shots w/the TS (nice, high, relatively straight shots about 145-150 yards). then i switch to my 7 iron, and i start pulling my ball to the left. - the ball goes about 30-50 yards left of my target. what's going on?

(i'm tempted to use my tour striker instead of my 8 iron when playing!)
[/quote]

Reasons:

1. You aren't afraid of laying sod over the ball. It's impossible to do it and you can have forward lean and downward strike with a little confidence.
2. Since there is not toe, you can't flip the face so you are more likely to lag a squarish face into impact.

You might consider having the lie angles checked on your current set. They may be too upright.

Oh, btw, I am developing a set of irons 5 - PW with TS characteristics. They are in the proto phase currently.

Cheers,

MC

I can't thank Martin enough for the improvements in my ball striking, from my driver to the sand wedge. As I posted earlier I ordered the Pro instead of the regular by mistake and it has worked out fine. More than once I have thought about exchanging it for the standard, but no need I have been playing at least 18 a day and where I play they don't have a range, but I do hit it every now and then off the fairway, so today I took it to the range to make my final decision, well wouldn't you know it I only miss hit one ball off the same mat that after the first 3 trips would be lucky to hit 3 or 4 out of a bucket of balls.

Thanks great product.
Steve Maxwell

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1283746289' post='2681036']
Steve,

That is great! I'm glad the practice has carried over nicely to your regular game! Good for you! Now you need to make a couple of putts;)

Cheers,

Martin
[/quote]

What type of player would benefit from the tour striker proX? .Are there any new refinements in the swing required in using the proX?

Hello Russ,

It's meant for single digit or better players.

The Pro X is basically the Pro but the face has been reduced down to the size of a golf ball. Normal size clubhead, yet less actual striking area. It is intimidating at first, but you'll soon realize how little of the clubface you actually use when you get the right impact alignments.

d3ltqk9ehq.jpg

The TS Pro is on top of the TS Pro X.

Cheers,

Martin

[quote name='TpaBill' timestamp='1283814944' post='2682164']
Martin-

How does this club compare to a compression board(I already own one). Would I see big improvements using the tour striker pro x vs using a compression board? I am a 7 cap that prefers a challenge....am I good enough to give the pro x a go??

Thanks!
[/quote]

I think the compression board has merit. I've used a version of it for years. I bet Iris Freed wishes he brought it to market!!

I'm glad my Canuck friend did it.

I'm not going to promise the TS clubs will change your ball striking. I THINK they will change your ball striking.

Why?

1. Flippers generally are terrified of hitting the ball fat and/or laying the sod over the ball.
2. They (decent players) have taught themselves to throw away their leverage and pick the ball. This leads to really inconsistent distances and zero chance of playing well when the wind blows to any degree.
3. Pitching the ball is an absolute crap shoot. Tight lie?? Forget it. How many Ams get nervous on tight lies?

The TS will help you lean the shaft and hit the ground. Will you hit the ground in the right place all the time? Hell no. But...you won't lay the sod over the ball and you'll get better at controlling your low point. Eventually, you'll have a shallow swing with forward lean; the perfect combination.

Can you handle the TSPX? Yes. If you can't get it airborne, tee the ball up for a while and work the tee into the ground until you don't need it.

Cheers,

MC

Martin-

[/quote]

[/quote]
Is the TSP with a regular flex steel shaft available yet? Thanks.

After lurking around here for a couple weeks, reading everyones' reviews of the Tour Striker, and most importantly seeing how well you interact with and support your customers - I ordered mine yesterday! Tour Striker Pro, LH, 1* upright...I can't wait until it arrives! Ball striking is the single biggest obstacle to improving my game past where I am now which is about a 13.2. I picked up golf 3 summers ago and now I don't know how I ever lived without the sport. Thanks in advance Martin, I can't wait to start hitting this baby!

[quote name='PsychoB' timestamp='1283888909' post='2683744']
Martin-

[/quote]

[/quote]
Is the TSP with a regular flex steel shaft available yet? Thanks.
[/quote]

It should be any day. I'll check with my inside guy tomorrow. Thanks for your patience. If you want, you can get the graphite reg for $99 if you like. Call 541 390 7324 if you'd like that option.

[quote name='RobinNC' timestamp='1283906034' post='2684283']
After lurking around here for a couple weeks, reading everyones' reviews of the Tour Striker, and most importantly seeing how well you interact with and support your customers - I ordered mine yesterday! Tour Striker Pro, LH, 1* upright...I can't wait until it arrives! Ball striking is the single biggest obstacle to improving my game past where I am now which is about a 13.2. I picked up golf 3 summers ago and now I don't know how I ever lived without the sport. Thanks in advance Martin, I can't wait to start hitting this baby!
[/quote]

Thanks! I hope you like it:)

[quote name='hoganfan924' timestamp='1283907639' post='2684349']
I ordered the Pro X today 2 deg. flat. Probably take a couple of weeks to get it. I'm a decent ball striker, but sure hope I don't make a fool of myself trying to hit this thing! I let you all know how it works out!
[/quote]

You'll be fine. It is intimidating, but you'll get it.

[quote name='TheShaun' timestamp='1283909265' post='2684416']
Is it in Golf Town yet? If so, do you know the price point. It isn't on their website, but lots of stuff they have is not on their site.
[/quote]

We are working with Golf Town and hope to be in their shops by mid-November. I'm not sure what the Canucks are going to sell them for??? I should know being a transplant Canuck, but I'm not even sure what the exchange rate is?? It's about par I think?

Hey Martin,

Just bought a Tour X after reading this thread for a couple weeks, and most importantly seeing how well you interact with and support your customers

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

Martin, I bought the tour striker pro 7 iron and the 5 iron in Stiff. I want to know what kind of shaft is installed on the 7 iron and 5 iron. Anyone know? Thanks

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I check my impact most practice sessions by hitting a few mid irons from the sand. If its not right i hit a few more, if its good i hit a few more but push them into the sand a tiny bit. Probably not as fun as using the TS but might be a cheaper/simpler alternative for some of you, also makes you pretty handy from the f/w bunkers.