Tour Striker

filthee

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Martin,

I was looking into purchasing the TSP from Golf Town up here in Canada (Toronto). It is my understanding that if I purchase it from your site it comes with an instructional DVD but it does not appear this is the case at Golf Town. Is this correct? Is there any way I can get the DVD? Being able to buy it directly up here is a nice bonus since I save the shipping but not so much if I don't get the right instruction.

FYI They have several Tour Strikers for sale but the rep said they sold out of the TSP really fast at both the stores I visited. Although they will order it if I want it.

Gridiron

G, they should all come with the DVD. We have new packaging that incorporates the DVD in a clamshell but they don't have it yet. I'm fairly certain that the DVD's were shipped with the clubs and in some drawer at Golf Town. You can watch the full length instruction video for free at http://www.tourstriker.com The only thing being that you can't skip around.

I'm glad the club is doing well up in the GNW!

Thanks for the note.

Martin

Hi Again Martin,

I wanted to let you know of my experience with trying to get the Tour Striker Pro via Golf Town so you were aware of the service being provided to your customers.

I first tried to order the TSP 3 weeks ago through golf town as they only have the TS as I stated earlier. The rep took my information and told me that since it was late on Friday he would contact me on Monday to let me know how when it was ordered. By the following Friday (2 weeks ago today) I went back in having heard nothing and was told by a different rep that they had nothing on file regarding my inquiry but that he would order it for me then and I watched him punch it into the computer with the help of one of the managers. This past Monday I was in the store and checked on the status of my order...nothing. Today, two weeks after my second time ordering the TSP, I went in and still they had nothing for me. In fact, they couldn't even tell me when it might arrive, or if it had even been ordered. They took my name and number (for the 3rd time) and told me they would call Monday with an update (I won't hold my breath).

I understand this isn't your fault or your customer service, I just wanted you to be aware. It is very frustrating as I could order a stock TSP from your site directly and get it in about a week, the benefit to using Golf Town being no currency conversion and no shipping charges (taxes and duty pretty much equal each other out). Oh, and they do have the DVD included, I just didn't see it in the niftly little clamshell packaging before.

Greg

Hi Greg, thank you for letting me know. I'll pass this along to my retail sales guy who's out of Scottsdale. He likes to know this type of thing when he deal with his accounts. My apologies and thank you for your interest in the product.

very good product imo.....but for some reason, i can hit the TS Pro very well though and consistently with a good trajectory and i may be the worst ball-striking 3 handicap on Planet Earth thoughrussian_roulette.gif

Planet Earth:) Come on... You must be pretty good. Happy to take a look at your action if you post it.

[quote name='Jaywalker' timestamp='1291263663' post='2819079']
The Tourstriker does work. I started in June and was having reasonable success with a sweeping swing - low 100's for a couple of months - and started lessons to achieve a divot. I bought the TS 7i a couple of weeks ago, but the first practice day I skulled every shot. I changed my swing to less arms and more pivot and the balls started going in the air - I broke 100 last week for the first time. I still have work to do, but a combination of a good pro and the TS has given me a decent divot. True, sometimes the divot's on the wrong side of the ball, but it's a start.

Question - I've had trouble with shipping. The first TS came with a 30° lag built in, courtesy of the USPS delivery people. The TS people rushed a second one out with a return mailing label and allowed me to ship the damaged one back in the same box (which was also damaged, BTW). I ordered a 1° flat lie, which I presume the replacement was also, but this one is labeled "S." Is that "Stiff" or "Senior," or something else? I ordered "Regular."

Thanks.
[/quote]

Jay, nice talking to you today. Another club is being built for you on Monday. You'll have it by the end of the week. Sorry for the hassle. Cheers and Happy Holidays. -Martin

Just ordered the TSP 7i today from TGW. Cant wait to get it. My normal shot picks the ball clean but I get pretty good height and distance from it. Im hoping the TSP will help me produce a more consistent impact position. Depending on how the product works for me I'll be ordering the additional DVD's. If this product gets me into the 70's (normally shoot mid 80's, never broke 80) I'll order anything you invent Martin LOL

Ping K15 driver
Ping G10 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Ping G15 irons
Cameron Newport, Ping Anser 3
Titleist Vokey 50* 54* wedges

[quote name='flipmode' timestamp='1292210246' post='2838008']
Just ordered the TSP 7i today from TGW. Cant wait to get it. My normal shot picks the ball clean but I get pretty good height and distance from it. Im hoping the TSP will help me produce a more consistent impact position. Depending on how the product works for me I'll be ordering the additional DVD's. If this product gets me into the 70's (normally shoot mid 80's, never broke 80) I'll order anything you invent Martin LOL

[/quote]

Thanks Flip. I hope you like it. I have some other stuff coming out in '11:)

[quote name='lvphil702' timestamp='1292905054' post='2851132']
OK, Bend, Oregon.....wow.
[/quote]

It is awesome from about the end of June through Oct 15th...other than that it is like Canada, so bring your board or your skis! Come on up if you can.

The course was designed by David Kidd, the same fellow who did the original course at Bandon. It's a lot of fun and will leave you talking to yourself. You need to play it more than once to learn the subtleties.

I hope you like the TS and Merry Christmas.

Cheers,

Martin

I received mine on Monday after six weeks. Living in Africa sucks sometimes :) I took it to the range Tuesday and struggled a lot. Only a few went airborne. It was a bit better on Wednesday, I concentrated a lot on the down part of the strike (ulnar deviation). I'll continue to use it, because I definately hit my irons further after struggling with it.

[quote name='doogie' timestamp='1293033445' post='2853883']
[quote name='Pings2Win' timestamp='1292649566' post='2846344']
Has anybody seen their game drastically improve after using this product? I am still on the fence on purchasing one.
[/quote]

i carry my 5 iron 180, 188 or so when I step on it after working with the TS, instead of 170 to 175
[/quote]

Doogie, glad it has helped. The added shaft lean adds ball speed as a result of a little less deflection. Cheers

[quote name='lvphil702' timestamp='1293076794' post='2855273']
Had to sneak away at lunch today to try it. Yup, tough club to hit! There is a learning curb to this.....now I know why I hit worm burners every so often! I can see that this is going to help!
[/quote]

Don't feel bad. I hit some poor shots if I go a while between sessions. You'll get it.

[quote name='genis' timestamp='1293116102' post='2855762']
I received mine on Monday after six weeks. Living in Africa sucks sometimes :) I took it to the range Tuesday and struggled a lot. Only a few went airborne. It was a bit better on Wednesday, I concentrated a lot on the down part of the strike (ulnar deviation). I'll continue to use it, because I definately hit my irons further after struggling with it.
[/quote]

Often, that is the feel needed to get the club to work properly. The issue being that normal clubs don't MAKE you feel this move. My next GIZMO will help develop this feel as well.

Merry Christmas

I'm a 10 handicap and not sure exactly my swing speed, but a solidly hit drive for me is in the 290 neighborhood.....so I'm sure my SS doesnt fall into the 'slow' category. I purchased the standard tour striker and dont find it to be any sort of challenge........without even thinking about it, I hit it just as well as I hit my regular 8 iron, I wish I would have gotten the pro version. I'll probably end up selling it at a garage sale for a $1 :(

It works! Even though I still haven't felt that I hit the Tour Striker perfect yet, I know it helped.

First day I couldn't hit it at all. Was going off a dead hard pan mat, the kind that looks like it's 20 years old. Was a struggle.

Second day pick a tad better mat, not fluffy but not hard pan....better. I hit a few good ones but not real crisp.

Third day, before a round. Much better, and this time I went back and forth with my 7 iron. All in the sudden my irons improved dramatically. I totally lost my iron play about 2 months ago and didn't know if I'd even find the stroke again. My biggest fear over the past 2 months has been par 3's. I had no idea what was going to happen. Today, 3 greens, 2 pars, a bird and a boogie. Quite an improvement over my 5's I was praying for these last months. I actually had distance problems and flew a few greens, almost a good feeling. lol

Thank you, Martin! I believe!

[quote name='Bill_60143' timestamp='1293164874' post='2856856']
I'm a 10 handicap and not sure exactly my swing speed, but a solidly hit drive for me is in the 290 neighborhood.....so I'm sure my SS doesnt fall into the 'slow' category. I purchased the standard tour striker and dont find it to be any sort of challenge........without even thinking about it, I hit it just as well as I hit my regular 8 iron, I wish I would have gotten the pro version. I'll probably end up selling it at a garage sale for a $1 :(

[/quote]

Hi Bill,

Thanks for buying the TS. Clearly, you need the TS Pro. If you in your 30 day window, send it back and we'll get you the TS Pro.

[quote name='lvphil702' timestamp='1293244098' post='2858039']
It works! Even though I still haven't felt that I hit the Tour Striker perfect yet, I know it helped.

First day I couldn't hit it at all. Was going off a dead hard pan mat, the kind that looks like it's 20 years old. Was a struggle.

Second day pick a tad better mat, not fluffy but not hard pan....better. I hit a few good ones but not real crisp.

Third day, before a round. Much better, and this time I went back and forth with my 7 iron. All in the sudden my irons improved dramatically. I totally lost my iron play about 2 months ago and didn't know if I'd even find the stroke again. My biggest fear over the past 2 months has been par 3's. I had no idea what was going to happen. Today, 3 greens, 2 pars, a bird and a boogie. Quite an improvement over my 5's I was praying for these last months. I actually had distance problems and flew a few greens, almost a good feeling. lol

Thank you, Martin! I believe!
[/quote]

LV, I love hearing stories like this one. I'm glad you have developed a feel that has you hitting your irons better. There should be no reason to fear an iron shot when you know how to make the tool work.

Take care and Merry Christmas to all Forum Members

I gave my 11 year old daughter the Tour Striker Pro 7 iron for Christmas. I ordered it 1 degree flat and 1/4" short of standard which is right in between each of our specs so we could both use it. I was initially concerned that it might be too much for her and that I should have gotten her the regular (easier to hit) version. Quite to my surprise, after a couple thin ones into the bottom of the net, she began to thump it quite nicely. We were both surprised at how nice it feels at impact when struck well and how the feedback on misses lets you know that you missed it, but does not sting your hands. After making about a dozen solid strikes with the Tour Striker she grabbed her own six iron and you could just hear the quality of the impact. I think this product is going to help us both improve our ball striking.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Martin, I'm a 20 capper who has experienced limited play over the years -- 1 maybe 2 rounds a month, received some pretty good golf instruction over the summer down in Pinehurst and have tried to study the swing as much as I am able. While I've seen some improvement with an occassional round in the 80's I'm sure I suffer from a flip -- no compression, fat shots, poor distance. I asked for a TS for Christmas and my wife was kind enough to come through. I'm retiring in February and looking forward to the 3-4 rounds a week and nearly unlimited practice time this will provide. My question is, should I have asked for the TSP instead? Your site suggests that someone like me should go with the easier to hit model but much of the commentary here says go with the Pro. I don't want to cheat the club but neither do I want to get too frustrated. At what point do I "graduate" to the TSP or will the regular TS be enough to get me on the path of hitting down and through the ball?

Great video, BTW! It really drove home the idea of powering the swing (pivot) with the core. I get armie after a few good shots trying to get more than I have and that invaribly leads to the blow up holes that balloon my scores. 6" of snow on the ground will soon disappear and I'll be on the range with the TS by Friday. I'll report in then.

[quote name='dpb5031' timestamp='1293381382' post='2859422']
I gave my 11 year old daughter the Tour Striker Pro 7 iron for Christmas. I ordered it 1 degree flat and 1/4" short of standard which is right in between each of our specs so we could both use it. I was initially concerned that it might be too much for her and that I should have gotten her the regular (easier to hit) version. Quite to my surprise, after a couple thin ones into the bottom of the net, she began to thump it quite nicely. We were both surprised at how nice it feels at impact when struck well and how the feedback on misses lets you know that you missed it, but does not sting your hands. After making about a dozen solid strikes with the Tour Striker she grabbed her own six iron and you could just hear the quality of the impact. I think this product is going to help us both improve our ball striking.
[/quote]

Similar situation here. I bought my 12 year old girl the 7i Pro in R-flex graphite, -.5", 1* flat. She thinned the first couple then pounded the rest. After maybe 10 beauties in a row, she handed the club back and asked, "What's it supposed to do?" Hhhmmm... it wasn't much of a challenge to my surprise. We'll practice with it more, but honestlty, from her perspective it wasn't any big deal, and not much more that kind of a goofy looking club.

[/quote]

dp, thanks for sharing the story.

One of the benefits of the TS comes from losing the fear of hitting the ground. So many flippers are afraid of hitting the ball fat and pick at the ball. The TS doesn't dig so there is some room for error when developing the skills necessary for forward lean and a downward AoA.

I'm glad your daughter can hit the TS Pro. That is awesome. As she gains confidence you can challenge her by getting her on tighter turf conditions.

[quote name='Oldnavycdr' timestamp='1293389003' post='2859571']
Martin, I'm a 20 capper who has experienced limited play over the years -- 1 maybe 2 rounds a month, received some pretty good golf instruction over the summer down in Pinehurst and have tried to study the swing as much as I am able. While I've seen some improvement with an occassional round in the 80's I'm sure I suffer from a flip -- no compression, fat shots, poor distance. I asked for a TS for Christmas and my wife was kind enough to come through. I'm retiring in February and looking forward to the 3-4 rounds a week and nearly unlimited practice time this will provide. My question is, should I have asked for the TSP instead? Your site suggests that someone like me should go with the easier to hit model but much of the commentary here says go with the Pro. I don't want to cheat the club but neither do I want to get too frustrated. At what point do I "graduate" to the TSP or will the regular TS be enough to get me on the path of hitting down and through the ball?

Great video, BTW! It really drove home the idea of powering the swing (pivot) with the core. I get armie after a few good shots trying to get more than I have and that invaribly leads to the blow up holes that balloon my scores. 6" of snow on the ground will soon disappear and I'll be on the range with the TS by Friday. I'll report in then.
[/quote]

Congrats on retiring. Funny story, I worked at a nice club in Palm Desert and met a constant flow of guys who had just retired. The first year or two at the club they played 3-4 times a week. Then, I'd wonder where they were at and somebody would say, "Oh, so-and-so is working part time at XYZ." A lot of guys play a ton of golf after retiring and then need to find other ways to help fill the void work provided. Frankly, I don't know what I would do if I could go to work. Mind you, my work is at a golf course, so I'm darn lucky.

Anyway, sorry for the aside; if you don't like the TS after a few sessions, send it back before the 30-day trial and we'll get you a TSP. A lot of people don't need the TSP. They like the feel and "gentle" learning curve of the TS and that is all they need to progress with their striking.

My weather sucks right now too. It's been 6 weeks since I've put the peg in the ground and I don't see any relief soon. Pretty bummed about it. I've hit some balls, but it's not the same buzz.

I'm glad you like the video. I had fun shooting it. Standing there with the cameras a bunch of folks looking at you is harder than it looks:) "Ah, der, bah...oh...crap, can we try that again?" You get the point.

[quote name='teamyonex' timestamp='1293422952' post='2860261']
[/quote]

Similar situation here. I bought my 12 year old girl the 7i Pro in R-flex graphite, -.5", 1* flat. She thinned the first couple then pounded the rest. After maybe 10 beauties in a row, she handed the club back and asked, "What's it supposed to do?" Hhhmmm... it wasn't much of a challenge to my surprise. We'll practice with it more, but honestlty, from her perspective it wasn't any big deal, and not much more that kind of a goofy looking club.
[/quote]

That is awesome! You can always challenge her with the turf condition. It is so important to keep things positive while adding an element of difficulty. You might see who can hit the most flush shots w/out a thin one and make a game of horse out of it.

It sounds like you have a talented "stick" on your hands.

Well it was on the Xmas list but it wasn't under the tree so I just placed my order. I'm hoping it gets here quickly even though we just got 20" here in MA.

I plan on using this extensively as my practice club this winter and warm up club before a round and want to get some use in before I get fit for a driver. I usually play the driver really forward in my stance and hit up on it which after talking to Martin I learned I'm not supposed to do unless I am a long drive guy.

Here's to low rounds in 2011!

Ping,

Sorry Santa flew by you this year.

Just to clarify; it is okay to have "two" swings. In fact, you need two swings. Yes, the longest hitters on Tour have a positive attack angle while still having negative attack angles on their iron shots. Is this just ball position? No. There is definitely an intent to strike down on an iron and level or up with a driver. The trouble with most Ams is that they strike up with their hands rather than adjusting the right body components to do it for them.

The Tour average AoA with a driver is still -1.5 degrees downward the last time I checked (Trackman data available on their website). So the majority of guys are still hitting down on the ball, ever so slightly. Most of those guy probably feel like they are hitting up on it!!! The long drive guys have a positive AoA upwards of 5 to 8 degrees. Keep in mind, you need very little loft on your driver to make a positive AoA work.

Cheers and agreed, here's to low rounds in 2011.

Martin,

I thought it would be a good idea to buy it and work on some things. Last year it got really bad with the ball position for the driver outside of my right foot (left-handed) and I was recently fit for a 8.5* Titleist driver clocked down to 7.75*.

After reading this thread and seeing what impact looks like, I am seeing too much of the club face at address and now I know I need to get my hands a little ahead. My swing thought now is hands ahead and I shouldn't see the grooves on the club face.

Last year was a year of good scores but distance wise I've been getting shorter and shorter and being outdriven by people twice my age and I am 35

[quote name='Pings2Win' timestamp='1293461931' post='2860638']
Martin,

I thought it would be a good idea to buy it and work on some things. Last year it got really bad with the ball position for the driver outside of my right foot (left-handed) and I was recently fit for a 8.5* Titleist driver clocked down to 7.75*.

After reading this thread and seeing what impact looks like, I am seeing too much of the club face at address and now I know I need to get my hands a little ahead. My swing thought now is hands ahead and I shouldn't see the grooves on the club face.

Last year was a year of good scores but distance wise I've been getting shorter and shorter and being outdriven by people twice my age and I am 35
[/quote]

Post your swing, let us take a look. Happy to help. Cheers,

MC

Martin,

Thanks to everyone on this thread for some great information, but I have a particular question for Martin.

This winter I have had access to a simulator and really started to focus on what improvements I can make to my ball speed with my irons, since it is currently sad and pathetic. Understanding that learning how to compress the ball can improve ball speed, I've been looking for ways to teach myself how to better do that and it led me to this forum and this thread. I have just ordered the TSP 7 iron and wedge. Can't wait to start the "journey".

But there is one other thing I have learned on the simulator and I don't know if the TSP will help, or not. With my irons I generally come from inside-out within 2 degrees or less and at impact my club face is generally open less than 2 degrees. But the other thing I notice from looking at the mark left on the bottom of my irons after impact is that I hit everything out towards the toe. As you can already figure out, it leads to a weak hit.

I already have a lie angle of +3 on my irons, and I've tried to move closer to the ball but see no improvement. I can't help but wonder (maybe hoping since the TSP could be the cure), could this be an added product of not being able to get my hands in front of the clubhead at impact? Or does it mean I have multiple issues?

Thanks!

Without Talent