(my opinion)TAYLORMADE DOESN'T DESERVE OUR SUPPORT

The Sheepdog

Was there something wrong with the MB/Smoke MB that's been around the past couple years?

I guess I don't get it. People keep saying TM abandoned the players club years back and yet it still existed last year. The R9 TP is nothing I'd play, but why the hell don't people just go get the olders irons then?

2010 is only 2 months old, whose to say we don't get the R9 forged later this year?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Chunkylover77' date='12 February 2010 - 09:32 AM' timestamp='1265985175' post='2246096']
Why do you feel used by them? Can you no longer hit those clubs?
[/quote]

yes i can its the best set i have owned. being a new golfer, and a new member of this form getting inlighten i now know that i was sold into the brand with there marketing campain thats geared towards newer golfer that lacks knowledge of quality golf equipment. new golfers will purchase base on hype. I now know i could have purchased a good set of japan forged irons for same amount money. two week after my purchased of my tp irons the black paint started peeling and i noticed that the same happen to just about everyone eles, not to mention the resale value . Plain and simple taylormade golf targets the inexperience golfers that will spend more money on less quality products based on hype from there agressive advertising campain. its more prophitable for taylormade golf togo that route then to target the real player with quality equipment. so my next purchase most likely wont be taylormade made, whoever they dont care they will focuse there attention on the 3million new golfer thats coming into the game this year.

• 1 month later...

I just caved in the face of my tour issue tour burner lcg after only 1 year and $700 only to find out that TM won't back it and there are no more to be had. So I question the quality control. I'm no animal (110 ss). I got sick of looking at that stupid flame anyway. Look at remote control car at a toy store and look at any TM product, very similar graphics.

[quote name='rainkingjr' date='08 February 2010 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1265603462' post='2235321']
I agree with the OP wholeheartedly. If Mizuno can sell the MP68 for $899 and Titleist can offer the 710CB and MB for $899, there is no reason why TM can't offer a top notch forged iron in the same price range. Maybe they need to stop dumping so much money into their staffers. The name of the game for them here is market saturation. I have always thought they made wonderful drivers. I actually game an R9. Their product cycle is ridiculous though.
[/quote]

This comment is what is completely wrong with TM and why I don't own anything of thiers. Why would I pay $899 for a cast iron they should be charging $500-600 for. They are way over priced and don't even protect the resale value like Ping does with their product cycles and pricing.

You know normally I would never post in a thread like this....hell usually I don't even bother to read them because I think they're completely unneccessary regardless of which company it targets. But in this case I have to briefly chime in. I see the words 'crap' and 'junk' thrown around quite a bit in previous posts. Also, in many many posts in this thread, people have referred to the fact that the irons are cast as being the reason they're 'junk' as compared to forged clubs. Last time I checked, until the yet-to-be-released Anser Forged, Ping exclusively made only cast irons and people have always loved them. You want to start a thread bashing Ping because they've always chose to make their irons cast, even though they could produce a forged iron if they wanted? Have they not given us their 'best' as some have put it?

You can go ahead and dismiss my opinion because I primarily play all TM stuff if you want...but I play it cause I like how it performs for me and I'm totally fine with how it looks. I may not be the greatest player, but I know plenty of guys much better than me and it works for some of them too. Honestly hearing some of you call TM products 'crap' just says to me that you look down at someone like me cause in your mind I play inferior equipment and support an evil corporation. You say you're officially done with TM and I say I'm done with pathetic threads like this....I'll stick with good threads about new equipment, tour news, and all the other POSITIVE aspects of WRX, which is why I starting coming here in the first place.

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8*, Tour AD-VR 6s
Titleist TSi2 16.5*, Tour AD-DI 7s
Titleist TSi2 18*, Tour AD-DI 85s Hyb
Callaway ‘24 Apex Pro 5-AW, MMT 95s
Callaway MD5 Jaws 50s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway MD5 Jaws 54s, KBS TourV 110
Callaway Jaws Full Toe 58c, KBS TourV 110
Scotty Cameron 2021 Phantom X 5.5 | 2016 Select Newport 2.5 (1st of 500) | 2020 Special Select Newport 2 (SteelFiber P125 shaft)

When I first started looking for new irons I had TM in the mix, but I started getting
shell shocked with all of the offerings coming out, at a rapid fire pace. At first I thought
that they had improved and wanted to give everyone a chance to buy the new and improved.
Now I think that they just want to capitalize on many peoples need for change, rather than
improvement. As said earlier, there are many choices, and for me TM will not ever be on my list.
I know they have good products, and I hope everybody gaming them is happy.

[quote name='BDoubleG' date='18 March 2010 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1268934397' post='2325244']
With all due respect...can this thread end?
[/quote]

I'm the one who started this thread, and I wish it would die too. With all due respect, probably 50% of the respondents missed the point I was trying to make.

Cobra Speedzone Camo Edition w/ GD Tour AD DI
Cobra F6 Baffler 16.5* w/Diamana Blueboard 63
Mizuno MP 20 HMB 3-PW w/ DG 105

Mizuno S18 50*/55* 

PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 60* ES 
PING Cadence TR Ketsch Mid

[quote name='biffstix' date='17 March 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1268873560' post='2323812']
I just caved in the face of my tour issue tour burner lcg after only 1 year and $700 only to find out that TM won't back it and there are no more to be had. So I question the quality control. I'm no animal (110 ss). I got sick of looking at that stupid flame anyway. Look at remote control car at a toy store and look at any TM product, very similar graphics.
[/quote]

I just looked at TM's warranty on their website and it states "tour issued product is not issued for resale and is therefore not covered under warranty."

I agree that if you are caving faces with 110 SS there are some issues there. But since it was not intended for you the regular consumer, but the PGA tour, the warranty does not extend to you regardless of purchase.

I do however feel there is a slight conflict of interest as it appears they do sell some of their "tour" inventory to people/comapnies who purchase it in bulk and then offer it on the bay, etc. Since they do offload a good chunk of inventory, (ex. the flood of 282 heads on the bay recently) one might argue that they are circumventing the warranty by offering through a 3rd party instead of selling themselves. I am not sure if there are legal issues with this or not, especially if someone is an "authorized" agent or seller of TM gear.

Either way I think it bites you spent 7 hundy on a driver and the face caved in. That is garbage regardless of the company.

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

I played Taylor stuff for years.. Often had 14 of their clubs in my bag.. still use Adidas apparel and shoes/bag...would still be playing their sticks had they been a little better at doing what they promised .. I had so many customer service like problems with them including being told after my custom ordered irons came with the wrong shafts to "just play them and trust the configuration".. right. I was told: "send us your specs and we'll send you out a set"... irons were not even in the ballpark... lofts wrong as well as shafts... still have a bag full of hybrids and fw's... gonna dump them all next week.. some great stuff too... I want no part of these guys. zero. btw.. my mx-300's came exactly on spec... had to order the Cobra driver twice..have had problems with cally as well, but nothing as poor as taylormade.. bridgestone was great and so was titleist.. oh well. live and learn.

Hey MODS let's get a new forum...Venting! Seems like a whole lot of this sort of thing on here daily and to save us that don't want to waste time with it, make a forum just for these people! Come on Adams!! Ya they make good stuff same as TM at least TM can keep paint on their clubs for more than a round!!! Haha move to japan if you want that stuff that bad bro

+1000!!!

Definitely let's have a rants and raves forum where all the bashing threads can go, I get so tired of them. There are plenty of companies out there that sell forged irons in the US. If that's what you want, then go seek one out and let your heart be content. If it's TM forged irons you want, then you can have those too from Tourspec or one of the other companies that specialize in Asian market gear. I don't get what the problem is, it seems to me that today with the internet we can get our hands on almost any club we might want to and yet there's still someone who's unhappy enough to junk up the forum with a b*tch fest that TM doesn't sell some of their equipment in the US. It's always been that way the only difference is now you CAN have whatever you want. There's really no need to start a rant thread.

You went through the whole of this thread so you could rant about people ranting, and then joined in on the topic.............classrussian_roulette.gif

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='dachtor' date='10 February 2010 - 04:33 PM' timestamp='1265819588' post='2241164']
I can't speak for the retailer, because I'm not one. As a consumer, I just make the system work for me. In other words, I won't be buying the R9 tp irons this year. Maybe next year, maybe not. I'm almost always a year behind when it comes to drivers and irons. Why? VALUE! In 2009, my Cally x-20 Tour irons were replaced by the 2009 Tour Preferred irons and I love them. They feel as good as forged irons to me. I tried a set of Mizzy MP-60's before the TM's and they didn't perform like the TM's did for me. The best part, I paid $300 for the set of TM's off eBay with Project X shafts and they are mint condition! My driver is a TM r9 460 TP with a Project X graph shaft. Cost? $300 off eBay. I had some leftover pro shop money at my club and I had my pro custom order me 2 rescue tp's. TM was prompt in their shipment and I also got a deal relative to the retail store prices. I've only played two 9 hole rounds with these, but I absolutely love them. Best Hybrids I've ever hit.

Bottom line, no company "deserves" our support. They earn it! If you don't like the US retail offerings from Taylormade, you are entitled to your opinion. Don't buy them. Or, if you are so inclined, find a Japanese retailer to ship you a set to your liking.
[/quote]

+1
I can't wait for next year when I get my new Mizzy MP 630 at only 30% of original cost.

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

[quote name='buster' date='20 March 2010 - 03:20 AM' timestamp='1269069607' post='2328769']
I played Taylor stuff for years.. Often had 14 of their clubs in my bag.. still use Adidas apparel and shoes/bag...would still be playing their sticks had they been a little better at doing what they promised .. I had so many customer service like problems with them including being told after my custom ordered irons came with the wrong shafts to "just play them and trust the configuration".. right. I was told: "send us your specs and we'll send you out a set"... irons were not even in the ballpark... lofts wrong as well as shafts... still have a bag full of hybrids and fw's... gonna dump them all next week.. some great stuff too... I want no part of these guys. zero. btw.. my mx-300's came exactly on spec... had to order the Cobra driver twice..have had problems with cally as well, but nothing as poor as taylormade.. bridgestone was great and so was titleist.. oh well. live and learn.
[/quote]

What TM stuff are you unloading pg?? Anything an old pro might be interested in??

I still can't help liking TM drivers. They'll have do much better with their iron offerings
to get my Mizzy 67's out of my bag. :D

:miz:

You guys don't realize that us WRXer's are like 1% of the golfing public. I spend alot of time in golf shops and guess what 99% of the american public are? Cheap arses. They just want a deal and don't look past the price. Most golfers here don't appreciate a nice club over a cheap one. The asian golfing public are the opposite. Golf is a status symbol over there and only the best will do. Just the way it is. Americans are easy to please. Company's market what sells. Easy as that.

[quote name='yipsy1' date='20 March 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1269099841' post='2329139']
You guys don't realize that us WRXer's are like 1% of the golfing public. I spend alot of time in golf shops and guess what 99% of the american public are? Cheap arses. They just want a deal and don't look past the price. Most golfers here don't appreciate a nice club over a cheap one. The asian golfing public are the opposite. Golf is a status symbol over there and only the best will do. Just the way it is. Americans are easy to please. Company's market what sells. Easy as that.
[/quote]

+1

this post basically sums it all up. TM doesn't put the Japan product in US stores because the US market for that type of product is so small. OP mentioned switching over to Adams product. Judging from the love I see for Adams product on golfWRX, they should be dominating the market... except that they are not. Pro Black MB irons are raved about in the forums, but they have been discontinued and can be had on eBay for below wholesale. I don't see posts raving about the Callaway X-18R irons, but they are flying off the shelves at $299. If there was a bigger market in the US for premium product, there is no doubt that we would see the same forged offerings here.

Different companies, different business plans. TaylorMade targets average golfer, puts a ton of product out frequently, in the US. Apparently they know the Japanese market is quite different, so they use a different strategy there. They don't "deserve" your support because they have chosen not to target a small market in the US that already has stiff competition.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

its about profit margins. lets give some random numbers to explain it

a forged set costs 600 for stores and sells for 900 = 300 profit costs 400 to manufacture = 200 profit for manufacturers

a cast set costs 600 for stores and sells for 900 = 300 profit costs 200 to manufacture = 400 profit for manufacturers

90% of golfers dont care if a club is forged or cast as long as it makes them play better. so by cutting costs while keeping the price the same leads to a nice increase in their bottom line.

the difference in japan is that most of the consumers there DEMAND a higher quality product. consumers simply wont buy a club unless its high quality. and they will pay the extra 200 bucks so the companies there can still make their profit AND put out top notch equipment.

all taylormade does is prey on the predictability of people. most people want whats new because we are taught at a young age that newer is better. remember in junior high when the new pair of air jordans came out and only the cool kids had em and everyone else wanted them. same thing. they might not be better but everyone wanted them because they were new, and didnt care if they were higher quality or not.

[quote name='Ragamuffin' date='07 February 2010 - 01:33 PM' timestamp='1265574780' post='2234444']
I am not a TaylorMade hater. I used to bag nothing but TM from the Firesole era right up to r7. Then I joined this site. I began to realize what a "big box" retailer TaylorMade is. While other OEM's are guilty as well, TaylorMade is by far the worst, and here is the reason: [b]The TaylorMade U.S. Market vs. The TaylorMade Japan Market.[/b]
The quality, beauty and selection of their Japan market is fantastic. The new Forged R9 irons in [b]2 [/b]models, the Burner TP irons, the Burner Forged irons, and of course all of the previous models. And what do they offer us over here? Crap. Hard castings (won't even soft cast them like they do the Burner TP's), gaudy, busy graphics and ugly badges. Even if you like your current TM irons, whether they are the Burners or R9's, you know that they are not making you their best. They are building us their "C" line of clubs, and we are buying it!
For them to offer their sirloin to Japan and feed us table scraps is demeaning. It lets them know they can get away with it, and makes the North American market look like a bunch of chumps. Yes, other OEM's may have ridiculous marketing ploys, but at least they are building us their best. Cleveland with the Black Pearl line, Titlesist, Ping, Tour Edge, and to me, the best right now by far: Adams. Yes, if you look at my sig, you'll see TM clubs. But not for long, I will be replacing them before this season. I'm not going to accept this crap from them anymore, there are way too many more options out there.
[/quote]
I agree 100%. We are just their cash cows that will gobble up any poorly made junk they dump on us.