2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

my honeymoon with SGI's

MtlJeff

[quote name='TCMP' date='27 April 2010 - 07:46 PM' timestamp='1272415606' post='2405084']
[quote name='harmonica' date='27 April 2010 - 03:28 PM' timestamp='1272400119' post='2404577']
Mini-thread-Jack here but - will the Ping NFlight system be compromised if the fitter uses super old faded dead range balls? A fitter at a range uses dead balls that go 75% distance at best. Would that be an issue with a Ping fitting?
[/quote]

I would say yes. That is a problem because spin, SF, LA are all affected by the ball.
[/quote]

That was my thought. Everything reads the ball's spin and if that is off, the nflight stats would be off. thanks for the input.

[quote name='harmonica' date='27 April 2010 - 04:28 PM' timestamp='1272400119' post='2404577']
Mini-thread-Jack here but - will the Ping NFlight system be compromised if the fitter uses super old faded dead range balls? A fitter at a range uses dead balls that go 75% distance at best. Would that be an issue with a Ping fitting?
[/quote]

I guess it could be but the day I was at the N Flight center, fitter brought a bucket of range balls (Callaway with some scuffs and some
looking less than ideal) however, it had pretty much same result as what I normaly would do on the course.
Carry distance, launch angle and spins were pretty same or little less than what I was used to. At least that was my take on it.

Today, UPS man just dropped my G15 iron set and I15 Hybrid..... I must say it doesn't bother me to look at it anymore!

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I guess it matters depending on the degree to which the balls are "old". The ones I am referring to are without question the oldest I have ever seen at a range.

Any comments from any new owners on how the U [50] and the PW [45] are performing on various turfs - and how that differed or jibed with what you expected?

I've only been playing a couple of years and I probably have less than 50 full rounds under my belt. In that time, like a restless club ho, I've owned X-18s, R7s, Mp57s,Burner XDs, MX900s and now MP-52s. I've played multiple rounds with many others, including GC Mids, Nike Slingshots and Ci7s. How schizophrenic is that? Here is what I've discovered -- I simply play better (at least pw-7) with a club that has some GI characteristics (cavity & perimeter weighting) but less offset, sole width and face size. I can't explain it because I'm not a great ballstriker and I tend to miss toward the toe often enough.

What I find is that on the swings where I toe-hit badly, last years MX900s outperformed my current MP-52s but, on average, I'm hitting the ball cleaner and missing less often with the MP-52s. I've played 5 rounds this year and broken 80 twice. I was a 16hcp at the end of last season and my chipping hasn't been stellar so far. Basically, I'm hitting about twice the GIRs and no longer doubling the Par3s. Can't explain it.

So far, the MP52s (6i-pw) are working. I grabbed MX23s (4-5i) off ebay for the longer irons and it's been working out great.

Of course, never being satisfied is eternal so I'm looking to pickup a used set of more GI(ish) clubs later this year to tinker around with. I'm think G15s -- I was thinking MX-300s but they don't look that different from the 52s.

Ping K15 9.5
Ping G15 4w
Ping G20 3h
Callaway XR 5-PW
Vokey SM5 48, 54, 60
Odyssey Prototype Tour Series 3

[quote name='draw1' date='26 April 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1272321330' post='2402427']
This is a great thread! I'll be transitioning from the MP-52s to a more forgiving iron.

My shortlist is:

1) MX-300 (I know they are not that much different than the 52s)
2) MX-200
3) G15
4) AP1

I'm curious to see where I wind up...will post as I figure out.

BTW - I'm not a low handicap - just a mid to high handicaper looking to join the club!
[/quote]
FWIW I would add CG7 BPs to list. If saving money go non BP. I owned the G10s a year and have a glowing review in archives. If I wasn,t the cloboholic I am I still would be playing them. Anyway the CG7 (non tour)BP or not,is every bit the GI iron. Long and very forgiving. Like the other poster said , you still have to make a decent swing for a decent result no matter what club.

[quote name='hardten' date='28 April 2010 - 12:16 PM' timestamp='1272474995' post='2406298']
[quote name='draw1' date='26 April 2010 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1272321330' post='2402427']
This is a great thread! I'll be transitioning from the MP-52s to a more forgiving iron.

My shortlist is:

1) MX-300 (I know they are not that much different than the 52s)
2) MX-200
3) G15
4) AP1

I'm curious to see where I wind up...will post as I figure out.

BTW - I'm not a low handicap - just a mid to high handicaper looking to join the club!
[/quote]
FWIW I would add CG7 BPs to list. If saving money go non BP. I owned the G10s a year and have a glowing review in archives. If I wasn,t the cloboholic I am I still would be playing them. Anyway the CG7 (non tour)BP or not,is every bit the GI iron. Long and very forgiving. Like the other poster said , you still have to make a decent swing for a decent result no matter what club.
[/quote]

I tried the CG7 BPs a month or so ago and just didn't gel with them. It was indoors, however, on a launch monitor. Haven't hit it on a range. I'm going to a demo day Saturday...perhaps Cleveland will be there. If so, I'll give 'em another shot!

thx

[quote name='TCMP' date='28 April 2010 - 06:27 AM' timestamp='1272450443' post='2405741']
Jeff is single handedly responsible for thousands in PING sales due to this thread. WAY TO GO JEFF!!!!
[/quote]

LOL, Ping owes me big time haha. If anyone from Ping is reading this, PM me for where you can send the I15/fubuki combo!!!

OK, OK, i'll settle for the I15/axivcore red

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I took my new G15 delivered to me to range yesterday.

Didn't feel too bad on feedback and it was forgiving!

Boring high ball that carries the distance or more as what my previous set.

Working the ball was not a problem so is low balls as I needed.

I have to say, it was pleasant suprise for sure.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='caller' date='29 April 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1272569796' post='2408489']

[/quote]

What shaft did you settle on?

Also when you get them on the grass I'd like to know how are the pitching and gap wedges performing in various lies - [asked this before but no one responded just yet]?
Thanks

[quote name='TCMP' date='27 April 2010 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1272392644' post='2404293']
[quote name='weten2' date='26 April 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1272329148' post='2402720']
custom order G5's with almost any steel shaft and cost will be $400-$560.
[/quote]

$392 for 3-PW from Discount Dans
[/quote]

Wow!

[quote name='harmonica' date='29 April 2010 - 04:50 PM' timestamp='1272574203' post='2408622']
[quote name='caller' date='29 April 2010 - 02:36 PM' timestamp='1272569796' post='2408489']

[/quote]

What shaft did you settle on?

Also when you get them on the grass I'd like to know how are the pitching and gap wedges performing in various lies - [asked this before but no one responded just yet]?
Thanks
[/quote]

Fitter got me into AWT X-Stiff.
I was somewhat suprised that I fall into X-Stiff category however, after doing some research here, AWT is lighter shaft than normal shafts.

Pitching was great. (I did not get the gap wedge as my Scratch gap wedge has been good to me)
I put the balls on rough and bare, hard pans and etcs tried to make situation where I am normally in... working very well.

Happy with new irons

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

[quote name='golfware' date='29 April 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1272574205' post='2408623']
[quote name='TCMP' date='27 April 2010 - 11:24 AM' timestamp='1272392644' post='2404293']
[quote name='weten2' date='26 April 2010 - 07:45 PM' timestamp='1272329148' post='2402720']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow!
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but if I remember from previous threads, DD's isn't crazy about their prices being posted in the forums.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

[quote name='TCMP' date='27 April 2010 - 02:24 PM' timestamp='1272392644' post='2404293']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Can get "Mint" Raptures from GPP for < $450 delivered.
I swear they were brand new, not even the slightest scuff, and they came with booties on the irons, they came in a box that was originally from ping(tag over their tag), and the irons had the original inspection list tag (with like 10+ inspections).
I'm guessing they had alot of stock, so sold a bunch under the auspice that they can't be advertised as "new" for too low a price(why ping holds their value).
Just a guess, but I swear they are brand new.

Really good deal IMO.

[quote name='mantan' date='29 April 2010 - 04:17 PM' timestamp='1272575873' post='2408668']
[quote name='golfware' date='29 April 2010 - 03:50 PM' timestamp='1272574205' post='2408623']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Wow!
[/quote]

I could be wrong, but if I remember from previous threads, DD's isn't crazy about their prices being posted in the forums.
[/quote]

Ok, then TGW also has them for $392, as advertised.

took my G15 for 3 rounds of golf so far.

Very forgiving.... also somehow I manage to make wide divots too LOL.

My par3s scoring went up immediately. (150yrds to 180yrds ranges).

Point the middle of the green regardless of the pin location and swing away... I was somewhere on the green to putt.

Knowing the iron will have carry distance for me, it boosts confidence on the course.

I am a scratch wedge user but G15 PW wasn't too different feel for me to chip and pitch with.

One thing I worried about G15 was the bunker shot.

When my tee shot gets into FW bunkers, leaving 130 to 150 to pin, I normally take my playr's club 8 through 6 iron, club face open then
swing to get it on the green.

Due to G15's wide sole design, I was worrying about skipping or bounce off on hard sand(or packed sand) but works the same.

I highly recommend this SGI for player who are looking to shave off some hcps this season.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

• 3 months later...

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1266022354' post='2247536']
Hi All

There are a lot of threads about higher handicaps playing blades (and that's fine, not trying to start anything), lower handicaps playing blades, and higher handicaps playing SGI's. But there really aren't that many threads about low cappers [i]really [/i]trying out SGI's. In 2010 i have decided to take the SGI challenge. ...

[/quote]

This truly is an interesting thread. I currently play Game Improvement Irons.

--------- feel free to skip this part---------
[size="2"]I sometimes think about changing clubs, mostly because my range sessions has turned boring... It sounds pompous, but I really can't see of feel much difference between shots on my range with 6 iron to PW.

The targets are rather boring (I prefer big oil barrels that give you a loud bang as a revard for a hit) thin poles. And when my ball has come to rest, I can't tell it apart from the others. So that's why I ponder to move away from GI-irons. Really stupid, because my scores are better with them.[/size]
---------------------------------

But, keeping with GI-irons, I'm pondering how to improve my score even more.

I'm wondering how much better the accuracy will improve for full SW shots with a G15 SW compared to a forged blade or say any Vokey 56 degree wedge?

Personally, I need a 50 and 58 degree blade / Vokey wedge for chips around the green, but I'm thinking that perhaps it could be smart to change my 54 degree Vokey into for example a G15 SW.

Because I've noticed that my accuracy with short irons are good, but I'm disappointed with the accuracy with my full wedges, the three Vokeys 50, 54 and 58 degrees. Sometimes I digg, sometimes they are just bad shots... Going left, going right. Nothing like my other short irons.

So what do you other people think, could full wedge shots also be improved with GI irons?

Heeeeyyyy, my thread is back...sweet!

i'm still loving my G15's!

as far as wedges go, i play a lot of touch shots with them. I don't think i'd go with an SGI in my sand wedge or Lob just because i find bunker play or touch shots from thick rough are easier with a small club. I actually just ordered vokeys in 58 and 64, but i'd like to find a 52 with a bit more offset than my Ping tour

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

jeff I can't believe it. I had you for a few weeks. Good for u for sticking with them!

I tried them a few times. I started a thread about trying a bunch of GI irons. After a few hours of testing tonight the AP2s are staying in the bag for the reminder of 2010. A full year with 1 set of clubs! Can you imagine!

You started a trend on wrx though!

2024 Bag TBD

i'm definitely an SGI guy now, won't go back. i don't change irons much, but for sure the next set i get will be along the same lines. It has really made a difference for me

hope i've helped people! If this thread did, that is pretty cool

^^^ Let me know when you get your G15's too dude

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Ping rep made a valid point here recently. He said that people "want to feel their misses." WTF does that mean? He said don't you want your misses to go high and straight towards your target? Playing GIs and SGIs are there for a reason. Why not play them to actually help you improve on what you are doing? I had Rapture V2s for 3 years and loved them, but the soles were a bit too wide. So I went to the Nike Machspeeds. Perfect match. They are soft, fly high and straight. "Working the ball" is not in my vocabulary. The distance is not overwhelming as my Ping's were longer, but the Nike's are more accurate.

If guys haven't tried SGIs or GIs for a fair trial, you are doing yourself a disservice. Especially those who have a family and job like I do, where getting our for an round of 18 can be a test in family harmony! :D They make the game easier. Period.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1282132799' post='2646620']
i'm definitely an SGI guy now, won't go back. i don't change irons much, but for sure the next set i get will be along the same lines. It has really made a difference for me

hope i've helped people! If this thread did, that is pretty cool

^^^ Let me know when you get your G15's too dude
[/quote]

I will man. Tracking info says Thursday. Tourney is Saturday - should be good to go.

[quote name='nicekindtrue' timestamp='1282161275' post='2647592']
Hi All...
I picked up my G15's recently ...
[/quote]

Some* call the G15:s draw biased. How are they "fading" for you?

[/quote]

I don't find the G15's to be draw biased. My ball flight has always been a little fade (regardless of the type of iron...my last set were R7TP's) and nothing changed when the G15's went in the bag. Stock ball flight remained the same and have not had troubles loosing shots left or controlling trajectory. As with most irons, it comes down to the shaft.

[quote name='3wggle' timestamp='1282163236' post='2647651']
[quote name='nicekindtrue' timestamp='1282161275' post='2647592']
Hi All...
I picked up my G15's recently ...
[/quote]

Some* call the G15:s draw biased. How are they "fading" for you?

[/quote]

I don't find the G15's to be draw biased. My ball flight has always been a little fade (regardless of the type of iron...my last set were R7TP's) and nothing changed when the G15's went in the bag. Stock ball flight remained the same and have not had troubles loosing shots left or controlling trajectory. As with most irons, it comes down to the shaft.
[/quote]

I agree, I don't find my G15 w/ AWT X-Stiff draw biased.

I don't know if my swing has improved this year but since I changed to G15, I'm at low 80's (somedays high 80's) now... this game never been this fun for me.

Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number