Titleist 710 Mixed Bag

New Irons
Im looking at getting new irons for this season and was wondering what you all thought about this. PW-6 in the Titleist 710 MB's and then going with either the AP2's or the CB's for the 3-5. My question is would you rather have the CB's or the AP2's in the long irons? Im sure the AP2's would be easier to hit but Im not sure if they would go farther than the CB's. For example, would there be a large gap, distance wise, between the 6 and 5 iron if I went with the AP2's. Im sure the CB's would transition fine. Also, the CB's might feel more like the MB's. I have never hit the new 710 line so I dont know about feel but I like the way all 3 sets of irons look, so looks wouldnt be a problem. What would you go with?

post-1-1248831395-1_thumb.jpg

PLUS THIS

post-1-1248831397-5_thumb.jpg

OR THIS

post-1-1248831396-3_thumb.jpg
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can mess it up going any direction. I ended up with AP2 all the way, but debated with:

AP2 4 Iron
CB 5-6-7
MB 8-9-P

I still think it would be an awesome set up. I just like the idea of the most forgiveness in a players club and went the other way. Probably all between the ears...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

There may not be much difference forgiveness wise between the CB and MB in the long irons. I would imagine there would be a bigger difference between the MB and AP2. You can close any gap be a little tweaking of the lofts.

My advise would be to hit them all, to see the ball flight and forgiveness in real time. I don't think you can make this decision on looks alone.

Srixon Z585, 10.5*
TaylorMade SIM Max 5 wood 18*

Titleist TS2 21* hybrid
Cobra DWS 23*, Nippon 950GH
Callaway X-14 5-PW

Vokey SM7 52F
Vokey SM7 56M

Vokey 60M
TaylorMade Ardmore 1

I have the original AP2's and looking into 710 MBs and MP68s. I would add the 7-PW in MB for sure. That should cover your feel distances up to 165-170 yards. 3-6 for AP2.

If you can hit a 6 in MB 180 yards, why not a 5 in MB 190-200 yards also? If you can't be consistent and over 210 with the 3 and 4 get AP2 or start using a player's hybrid or two.

This has nothing to do with SS, it's about consistently striking the ball well. Those yardages are easily attainable to a quality ball striker who would be considering and also be able to hit blades.

I myself play the 4-PW with a 20* Pro Black. I started with 30 year old blades, and have felt that going back to them would improve my game considering the advancements in MB technology in this year's models.

SIM 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+, 45"
PXG Gen 2 0341X 15*, Graphite Design AD-DI 8X, 43"
PXG Gen 2 0317X 22*, Accra TZx M5, 40"

HMB 4i (22*) Modus 125X (ZX7 4i & 5i for summer)
MP20 5-P, Modus 130X
T20 50*7, 54*8,60*6 Modus Wedge 125
Toulon San Diego 33.5"
Srixon XV, or Tour BX/S 

Occasionally throw in a DI over the hybrid, 3i HMB (18*) KBS Proto 85X

i demoed all 3 recently. you are right about the feel. the cb and mb feel identical but there is a discernible difference in feel with the ap1 or 2 from the cb/mb, which are almost always soft (unless you shank it or hit the toe) as compared to the ap's which feel somewhat dull.

with distances, i didn't get a loss with the ap1 or 2; rather i think i got a bit more (probably because it is a much easier club to hit). if only i could get pass the fatness of the sole and the lousier feel, i would probably buy the ap.

personally i think the cb feels strikingly similar to the 690.cb, which i own. this mb though is quite easy to hit .. plays very closely to the cb in forgiveness (if that is a word you can use for clubs like these). certainly it plays easier than the 660, 670 and 681 for me.

also i think it is 1* stronger in loft. love the look of the irons.

hope this helps.

I'm considering something similar and have hit all three, and owned orignial ap2's.
Awaiting another outdoor Vector LM fitting for the telltale story but here's my 2 cents for now.
If you're gonna combo, I wouldnt split the Ap2's...they feel too different from the MB-CB's.
So either all AP2's, or go split set 567CB 89P-MB. I only play 6 irons so the split set of 3 and 3 makes sense to me.
Carry 6 irons and 1 22* hybrid---3 wedges and 3 fwy metals; done deal.

On a side note, when I told the fitter-trackman operator what sets I was considering he sort of chuckled when I mentioned I wanted to compare the performance of the Ap2's against the split set cb-mb's. I asked him why and he said very simply he has yet to see anyone put up better "numbers" using the cb or blades vs the AP2's, unless you're a very very accomplished low amatuer or touring professional. Thats not to say you can't hit them or wont like them etc etc...but if you're purely going to buy what irons it you hit the best, most often, its probably going to be the AP2's.

The same could probably be said for Muzuno mx300 vs mp 58/68 or Cally Diablo forged vs x forged or Protoypes.
Good luck!

PXG-0811x
PXG-0341x
PXG-0317x
PXG-0311T Gen 2
Vokey SM7
PXG Gun Boat Mini

This is one of the best threads recently (probably because I have been seriousely considering much of the debated topic recently) mainly because each and every person has contributed something benefitial, and I thank you all for that.

I have been wanting to replace my irons for several years now, but simply have not done so for a few reasons...nothing jumping out and grabbing me as being super special being one of the reasons for sure! Throughout my years of "contimplation" the whole mixed set/combo set idea has appealed to me immensely, but seem to always get talked out of it. With that being said, this is the year I am changing all of that. Truthfully, after reading this thread, I almost feel a weight has been lifted and I am very confident I know which direction I want to head.

For the past 11 years I have played Ping I3 Blade irons and have yet to be enamored with them without that time period. Not to say I have not hit many very good shots with them, they have just never WOW'd me ove the long haul. About 3 years ago a finally swapped out the I3 PW for a S59 PW, and that was the best move I could have made. The PW went from my least favorite club in the bag the one of, if not THE most favorite. Anyway, the Titleist AP2's have been very intriquing to me since there introduction. I LOVE the look of these irons in terms of head size, shape, etc (something I have never been crazy about w/ the I3's). Now, with the introduction of the 710 CB's, and the success I have had with the more "blade style" PW I have already been playing this may be EXACTLY the mixed set I have been waiting for!!!

The strength of my golf game is far and away the mid to short irons. I am a mediocre long iron player (4iron being the longest iron now for a couple of years) and chipping/putting is hetting MUCH better.

Thinking of the new iron set looking something like this....

#4-6iron of the AP2's
#7-PW of the CB's

I realize a few of you have mentioned NOT mixing the AP's and the CB's for "feel" reaons, but I honestly think that "feel" of the short irons will outweigh the lack of "feel" of the mid irons. Maybe thinking the benefit of the added forgiveness of the 4, 5, & 6iron will counteract the lack of "feel" these may have compared to the CB's. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but I THINK it does to me, lol.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write such valuable information in this thread thus far, and in essence helping me end a 7ish year journey for new irons!!

I have the 3 to 6 in cb's and the 7 to pw in mb's all fitted with stiff KBS tours, I find they fit together fine, there is no gap in distance between the 6 and 7 iron.

I would say on a side note that the cb's are for me quite a bit more forgiving than the mb's, i'm a decent ball striker (5 cap).

I did try the ap2's in the long irons, this was done on a launch monitor and it was noticable how consistent the cb's were compared to the ap2's.

Don't think you can go wrong which ever way you go.

Still makes me laugh every time one of my mates picks up my 3 iron and says 'jesus look how small it is' :man_in_love:

hOOter... :smilie_titty:

[quote name='yams22' date='01 March 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1267457745' post='2285268']
This is one of the best threads recently (probably because I have been seriousely considering much of the debated topic recently) mainly because each and every person has contributed something benefitial, and I thank you all for that.

I have been wanting to replace my irons for several years now, but simply have not done so for a few reasons...nothing jumping out and grabbing me as being super special being one of the reasons for sure! Throughout my years of "contimplation" the whole mixed set/combo set idea has appealed to me immensely, but seem to always get talked out of it. With that being said, this is the year I am changing all of that. Truthfully, after reading this thread, I almost feel a weight has been lifted and I am very confident I know which direction I want to head.

For the past 11 years I have played Ping I3 Blade irons and have yet to be enamored with them without that time period. Not to say I have not hit many very good shots with them, they have just never WOW'd me ove the long haul. About 3 years ago a finally swapped out the I3 PW for a S59 PW, and that was the best move I could have made. The PW went from my least favorite club in the bag the one of, if not THE most favorite. Anyway, the Titleist AP2's have been very intriquing to me since there introduction. I LOVE the look of these irons in terms of head size, shape, etc (something I have never been crazy about w/ the I3's). Now, with the introduction of the 710 CB's, and the success I have had with the more "blade style" PW I have already been playing this may be EXACTLY the mixed set I have been waiting for!!!

The strength of my golf game is far and away the mid to short irons. I am a mediocre long iron player (4iron being the longest iron now for a couple of years) and chipping/putting is hetting MUCH better.

Thinking of the new iron set looking something like this....

#4-6iron of the AP2's
#7-PW of the CB's

I realize a few of you have mentioned NOT mixing the AP's and the CB's for "feel" reaons, but I honestly think that "feel" of the short irons will outweigh the lack of "feel" of the mid irons. Maybe thinking the benefit of the added forgiveness of the 4, 5, & 6iron will counteract the lack of "feel" these may have compared to the CB's. Not sure if that makes sense to anyone else, but I THINK it does to me, lol.

Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to write such valuable information in this thread thus far, and in essence helping me end a 7ish year journey for new irons!!
[/quote]

This will be a great set, my only recommendation would be to go 4-7 iron in the AP2's and 8-PW in the CB's. My reasoning is as follows the 7 iron in both sets is almost identical is shape size and top line, where the 2 sets start to differ is the 8-PW so why not get the forgiveness of the AP2 with the 7 iron. I really like the 7 iron in the AP2's, might sound dumb but with that club in my hand I always feel like the shot is going to be a great one.

[quote name='yams22' date='01 March 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1267476945' post='2285995']
To be honest, I was still a bit undecided about which 7-iron the set would have...and I do completely agree with you that this does makes lots of sense!!
[/quote]

I would get both irons and then have a competition and see which one you hit better. Maybe the CB will be the better club for you, my bet is the AP2 will win the starting line up.

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='16 February 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1266346113' post='2255645']
I don't think you can mess it up going any direction. I ended up with AP2 all the way. I just like the idea of the most forgiveness in a players club and went the other way. Probably all between the ears...

Kevin
[/quote]

... Hey Kev, having played blades and forged cb's for most of my golfing life, I decided to go the other way with this years irons. I am going to be playing a combo set of AP2's in the 5-pw and AP1's in the 4-3 irons. Since the AP2's are the most played irons by the Titleist Tour staff, I wanted to give them a try. I am blown away by how good the AP1's look! Sure they have a thicker topline and a longer heel to toe length, but they look great in the address position and I am using them as iron like hybrids. I will say that the 710 MB and CB's are the most beautiful looking irons Titleist has ever produced. Having hit them at the PGA Demo Day, I was a little surprised at how much more forgiving the cb was compared to the mb. I hit a few 8 irons just slightly toward the toe and the difference was very apparent in both feel and direction/distance. In the longer irons it is a night and day difference.

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

[quote name='chisag' date='01 March 2010 - 04:20 PM' timestamp='1267482012' post='2286183']
[quote name='kevcarter ' date='16 February 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1266346113' post='2255645']
I don't think you can mess it up going any direction. I ended up with AP2 all the way. I just like the idea of the most forgiveness in a players club and went the other way. Probably all between the ears...

Kevin
[/quote]

... Hey Kev, having played blades and forged cb's for most of my golfing life, I decided to go the other way with this years irons. I am going to be playing a combo set of AP2's in the 5-pw and AP1's in the 4-3 irons. Since the AP2's are the most played irons by the Titleist Tour staff, I wanted to give them a try. I am blown away by how good the AP1's look! Sure they have a thicker topline and a longer heel to toe length, but they look great in the address position and I am using them as iron like hybrids. I will say that the 710 MB and CB's are the most beautiful looking irons Titleist has ever produced. Having hit them at the PGA Demo Day, I was a little surprised at how much more forgiving the cb was compared to the mb. I hit a few 8 irons just slightly toward the toe and the difference was very apparent in both feel and direction/distance. In the longer irons it is a night and day difference.
[/quote]

Hi Chisag,

You'll have a set up very close to that of Zach Johnson, one of my favorite players. I hope you play GREAT with them!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Interesting thread. I have made several attempts with the AP2s, and keep getting hung up with the gap I experience between the 7 and 8, 9, PW irons. The latter all are much shorter for me than other sets.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that the thicker sole impacts my distance - I am more of a sweeper, and do better with thin sole irons. The short irons require more of a steep swing, and the thinner sole, for me, seems to work. (This explanation does nothing to explain the fact that I experience the same problem off the tee on short par 3s!!!)

I have been hitting MP-68s and am considering replacing the 8-PW in my CB set with MBs. Would never try this with AP2s - two totally different iron concepts. I do like the "dart throwing" feel of a blade in the short irons...

-ddog