Wie through step 1

maguy1970

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If true was it really that tuff? Importance: it rates pretty low for me, basically it was a home course for her wasn't it? I would vote for her IF she had to qualify for her tournments vs 'free pass" for tv ratings, such as the news hype of her European tour coming in Sept.

If true was it really that tuff? Importance: it rates pretty low for me, basically it was a home course for her wasn't it? I would vote for her IF she had to qualify for her tournments vs 'free pass" for tv ratings, such as the news hype of her European tour coming in Sept.

source:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2446362

Rama, come on. Seriously. It's friggin US Open qualifying. I am sure it is much "tuffer" than spelling "tough" correctly. And since she is going through the process of qualifying, that means you are voting for her? What office is she up for?

I'm sorry if that's out of line, but give the girl her due. She has to put up with a ton of scrutiny from the public and media that goes along with the 3 ring circus that is Michelle Wie. How would you play if every bogey you made you had to be concerned with what the press was going to write about you.

Give her what is her due to making it. You cannot claim that she did not get a free pass. She earned her way to sectional. It's very tough to qualify through either stages no matter how good you are. Local=one round to make it. Sectional for a good player=2 rounds that one can atone for a single bad round with a good round.

I do not wish ill wishes on her nor on anyone else but I only hope that she'll come up with good golf to earn her way to US Open. I believe too many keyboard jockeys are just jealous of her talent.

I've come close to making to US Mid-Amateur(1st alternate and 2nd alternate on a site where only 2 goes) and missed out advancing to 2nd stage of US Open qualifying twice just barely, it ain't easy doing so against many good players.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

This was actually the tougher part. Only 3 spots. The sectional will have more spots available. I'm not a huge Wie fan, but I still appreciate good golf. Lord knows I can't put 18 good holes together! HA!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I see you watch TGC and bought how tough the local is. What you are missing is the sectional has not only the local qualifiers from throughout the country but most touring pros are exempted straight to the sectionals. The local Wie choose probably had no more than 8 people with legit shots at the 3 spots. Virtually everyone at the sectionals will have very serious game and a legit shot. To be honest it would be fun to watch her on a U.S. Open course. I think she would do much better there than the Masters.

I thought this was an interesting nugget about the other 2 qualifiers from Wie's local.

Joe Phengsavath of Honolulu was second with a 1-over 73. Fifteen-year-old Tadd Fujikawa, a high school freshman from Honolulu, holed a 60-foot birdie putt on the third playoff hole to earn the third spot.

FYI...Joe has been one of the top amatures here in Hawaii for the past several years. As for Tadd....he may be young and probably not over 5'4" but the kid has some serious game. He's already won and or posted top finishes in most of the major local tournaments. My father played with him last year and as an ex-coach of the State High School Tournament Championship Team, told me the kid is the best he's ever seen in years. Which unfortunately included me. :)

source:

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=2446362

Rama, come on. Seriously. It's friggin US Open qualifying. I am sure it is much "tuffer" than spelling "tough" correctly. And since she is going through the process of qualifying, that means you are voting for her? What office is she up for?

I'm sorry if that's out of line, but give the girl her due. She has to put up with a ton of scrutiny from the public and media that goes along with the 3 ring circus that is Michelle Wie. How would you play if every bogey you made you had to be concerned with what the press was going to write about you.

I'm sure her 70 million dollar cheques from Nike and Sony make the scrutiny a bit easier to put up with. :)

TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 9* Even Flow Blue 60X
Taylor Made Sim 2 Ti 15* Tensei 80 S
Srixon ZX Utility 3 Diamana Thump X

Srixon ZX5 4-7 Nippon NS Pro 120X

Srixon ZX7 8-A Nippon NS Pro 120X

Mizuno T22 56, 60 KBS C-Taper 120S
Taylor Made Spider Tour Red

I see you watch TGC and bought how tough the local is. What you are missing is the sectional has not only the local qualifiers from throughout the country but most touring pros are exempted straight to the sectionals. The local Wie choose probably had no more than 8 people with legit shots at the 3 spots. Virtually everyone at the sectionals will have very serious game and a legit shot. To be honest it would be fun to watch her on a U.S. Open course. I think she would do much better there than the Masters.

This isn't exactly a shocker. Michelle followed the formula that many of us have known for years about getting out of the local qualifier for a USGA national event. Select the local qualifier where the strength of the field will be weakest. Face it, a local qualifier in Hawaii will not draw anyone from outside of the islands of Hawaii. So you get a small and watered down field. Add in the extensive local knowledge of the course she has, and you put it all together for an easy rubber stamp to the second stage. A 42 person field for a local qualifier is a joke. Go to a local qualifier in the Met section or another strong area....Michelle doesn't top 20 in a local qualifier in alot of sections.

The fact that TGC scrolled her score and standing real time last night just shows how desperate the media is to make a story and serves as the perfect example of just how overhyped Michelle Wie is. We are talking about a 16 year old, who has won a Women's pub links and a USGA Jr. Girls (as I recall). That is the extent of her am record. She has not won a major event, am or pro. Put it in comparison to the hype that Tiger got, which at least he earned through an outstanding am career, and one must be left to wonder exactly how logical any of the Michelle Wie phenomenon is.

In golf or in any other aspect of life, who here has something on their resume when they were 16 years old better than making it through stage 1 of US Open qualifying?

Nobody? Good. Now can we get back to appreciating talent????

EXACTLY! I'm not a huge Wie fan becasue she has been given everything, and I don't think she has the credentials to play in some of the events in which she has, but let's give her credit for making Sectional's. It's a great feat for ANYONE to make it past Local Qualifying. I thought she would qualify, so I wasn't supprised, but Sectional's, as stated before, will have numerous PGA TOUR Pro's from the Barclay's the week before.

This isn't exactly a shocker. Michelle followed the formula that many of us have known for years about getting out of the local qualifier for a USGA national event. Select the local qualifier where the strength of the field will be weakest. Face it, a local qualifier in Hawaii will not draw anyone from outside of the islands of Hawaii. So you get a small and watered down field. Add in the extensive local knowledge of the course she has, and you put it all together for an easy rubber stamp to the second stage. A 42 person field for a local qualifier is a joke. Go to a local qualifier in the Met section or another strong area....Michelle doesn't top 20 in a local qualifier in alot of sections.

The fact that TGC scrolled her score and standing real time last night just shows how desperate the media is to make a story and serves as the perfect example of just how overhyped Michelle Wie is. We are talking about a 16 year old, who has won a Women's pub links and a USGA Jr. Girls (as I recall). That is the extent of her am record. She has not won a major event, am or pro. Put it in comparison to the hype that Tiger got, which at least he earned through an outstanding am career, and one must be left to wonder exactly how logical any of the Michelle Wie phenomenon is.

Have you maid it past Local Qualifying yet this year? If you have, great job, if not- Why didn't you go out to Hawaii and kick Wie's BUTT?

Have you maid it past Local Qualifying yet this year? If you have, great job, if not- Why didn't you go out to Hawaii and kick Wie's BUTT?

2 questions for you. Do you mean fans now have to perform as well as elite athletes to have the right to comment on athletic performance? Second, why aren't you island folks as proud of this 15 year old as Wie? Afterall, he is probably the youngest qualifier to sectionals.

You buying the plane ticket and paying for my expenses to head to Hawaii? Didn't think so. And sorry to say that my handicap has ballooned up to 4 currently which renders me as not really eligible for this fine championship this season. I have attempted to local qualify in the past, when I played off of a 1, without success. And not to make excuses for my failed attempts, but I made all 3 of mine in the Met section, which if you know anything about, you will realize exactly how tough the local qualifiers are for that area. Hell, Kestner didn't get in this year, nor did the Met PGA professional of the year. Says something about the strength of the field in that area. And approaching the wrong side of 35, I think I'll focus on the mid-am and the pub links from this point forward for myself in terms of USGA events. although who knows...

Ask anyone who has tried to local qualify, or who has and they will tell you that if the option presents itself from both a time and $$$ point of view, they will try to target a local qualifier that has less competition or who advances to a sectional that may be not quite as tough (you want to avoid sectionals played near PGA tour or Nationwide tour events the previous weekend).

Gut instincts tell me that you probably haven't ever even attempted a USGA qualifier, and that is ok. But once you have, it gives you a different point of view as to how it works.

I think Michelle Wie has a lot of talent, I have never argued that. My point is that given what she has done with it so far, I don't see the need for all the worship and hype she generates.

You buying the plane ticket and paying for my expenses to head to Hawaii? Didn't think so. And sorry to say that my handicap has ballooned up to 4 currently which renders me as not really eligible for this fine championship this season. I have attempted to local qualify in the past, when I played off of a 1, without success. And not to make excuses for my failed attempts, but I made all 3 of mine in the Met section, which if you know anything about, you will realize exactly how tough the local qualifiers are for that area. Hell, Kestner didn't get in this year, nor did the Met PGA professional of the year. Says something about the strength of the field in that area. And approaching the wrong side of 35, I think I'll focus on the mid-am and the pub links from this point forward for myself in terms of USGA events. although who knows...

Ask anyone who has tried to local qualify, or who has and they will tell you that if the option presents itself from both a time and $$$ point of view, they will try to target a local qualifier that has less competition or who advances to a sectional that may be not quite as tough (you want to avoid sectionals played near PGA tour or Nationwide tour events the previous weekend).

Gut instincts tell me that you probably haven't ever even attempted a USGA qualifier, and that is ok. But once you have, it gives you a different point of view as to how it works.

I think Michelle Wie has a lot of talent, I have never argued that. My point is that given what she has done with it so far, I don't see the need for all the worship and hype she generates.

The weak field venue is a red herring. I've heard about this approach for decades, and like a good stock pick, the opportunity eliminates itself. By your reasoning, there are local qualifying sites where you can breeze right in. If so, good players that thought they could take advantage would show up, which would eliminate the advantage of playing there since the number of spots is based on field size generally (except for the sectional played where the prior week's pga tour event is).

The best players I know that have a serious shot at qualifying (the friend I caddied for last year played off with Jacobsen, Austin and a few other Tour pros tied at -5 last year at the Columbus Ohio Sectional) want the local and sectional sites where the most spots are available.

Some locals take a 72 or 74 to sectionals, others take a 67 to get in. You have to beat the course to move on. She did that better than anyone else in the field. I wonder what the Ladbrokes line was on her qualifying? The smart money on this one is right. She is a superstar in sports.

You guys sound like a bunch of whiney, jealous school girls. :crazy: Ya sound like Morgan Pressal before she came on the LPGA. She also was given much hype, albeit not as much as Wie, but what has she done on the tour? Nothing. Oh yeah, sorry, she cries and bemoans about why she isn't winning. ;) Michelle at least has made the top 10 a few times. The girl is only SIXTEEN!!! I'm not her biggest fan, but I'm not against the child winning either. Stop kicking the child for striving for something. Goodness, do you guys tell your kids they can't have a dream because they don't have what it takes to be a winner, too? Give credit where credit is due. Sheesh!!!

My vent is over. Thank you. :)

Thanks Golf Beauty, you tried. Perhaps if you get some more of your friends on here so we can attempt some balance.

I was thinking it would be funny if one of the major golf mags did a story on how the golf game of a 16 yr old girl named Michelle Wie sets off all kinds of insecurities in grown men. But then I thought better of the idea because the only thing more pathetic than insecure grown men is a story in a magazine about the same subject.

Congrats, another M. Wie bashing thread going nowhere.