Mac or IBM?

easyyy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a long-time Mac user that has to face the evil of the PC world. There's not much that I can't do with the Apple OS, but I'm not a gaming geek either. However, being left-handed I'm used to getting the short-end of the stick. The only 2 problems/programs I've come across that I found myself debating getting "virtual windows" over is a planning program (through franklin/covey) and a decent swing analyzing program (V1), BUT I decided I'd rather let my life fall apart and let my swing go to hell. :)

beruo

btw easyyy, the current format for the survey doesn't allow for a non-mac user to respond and you are not allowed to answer the first part w/out the second--maybe add a "I never used a Mac" to the bottom.

:hi:

I switch off between the two, because I need both for work, use the PC much more often.

There are pluses and minuses with both. If you are used to a PC and then go to a Mac, you'll be driven crazy at first with how your desktop functions and your lack of a 'right click' menu. But like everything, you'll get used to it and since you paid through the nose to get a Mac, you'll eventually convince yourself it's better.

I can't really invest much in a Mac, because I'd have to repurchase too much software. It'd be a $5000+ investment in that area alone. Plus if you do programming (say .NET or Java) the Mac world is not the place to be as you can't function at all.

For graphics it's great, but honestly you can do anything on a pc that you can on a Mac. Multimedia stuff is easier on a Mac, but can be done on a PC as well, it's just a little more difficult.

Viruses are rampant in the PC world, mostly because of Microsoft Outlook, and there aren't enough Mac users to warrant some 20 year old brainiac to write one.

I don't know much about PCs crashing, because I have never had that problem, except for a hard drive biting the dust, which happens to everyone over time. I run all kinds of memory-hogging programs and just don't have that problem.

Their browser, Safari, sucks. Yeah, it doesn't matter what anyone says to me. It sucks. Be prepared to use Firefox. I don't know of the plugin for 'Open tab in IE' works on the Mac, but you may be limited in some content due to Mozilla. IE for Mac is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Whatever you do, get a laptop. There are really no need for desktops anymore. Unless you're doing hardcore programming, portablity is so much better than being strapped behind a desk.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I've been back and forth since the the 80s as well.. I used a windows based machine for most of the 90s - but then picked up mac laptop in '02. I've owned 4 PCs and 2 other Macs since then. OSX is nice, really nice. While I can rely on my 10 inche power book to just plain old work - I still cant always count on it working with the rest of my hardware (a wireless print server has been my biggest hassel). My dell notebook is still the 'goto' laptop, but I do enjoy OSX from time to time.

With the Macbooks shipping soon, I'm sure I'll pick one up - and to be honest I'm sure it'll become my goto - now whether I'll boot to OSX or XP is another story.

Chris

Reasons to buy a MAC:

- They look cool

- They are more secure from viruses etc. becasue most viruses are designed to harm Microsoft systems.

Reasons not to buy a MAC:

- They are overpriced

- Compatibility issues

- Can be costly to upgrade.

Dell make a high quality product with unparalelled customer support and you can get an top end machine for the same money as an entry level MAC.

I tend to pick the PC based on the it's intended use. Being a Microsoft engineer, most of my life is Windows. Say what you want about the bugs in the operating system or Bill Gates trying to rule the universe, he's doing something right to have such a strong share of the business market. However, I find Linux/unix a much more stable server than Windows for a lot of things (websites, etc), and I prefer Mac's for most "arts orientated" type applications. An example of this is my setup at home:

I use a Windows server to control my network, a windows laptop for studying/running virtual machines (2 gig of memory :) , I have a linux based computer acting as a web proxy/firewall, and I use a iMac with my music studio. My opinion, pick the best machine for the job.

thanks for the write up and time to do so. Makes sense. As for the laptop. Yes agree but hard to function without a desktop also. The screen on my laptop is smallish. I love the larger screens of a desktop.

Richard, I have a 17" widescreen Gateway laptop with full keyboard/numberpad that I have nothing but good things to say about. Plenty big to do anything you want. You can also get a docking station, usually a $100 upgrade, that will allow you to use a monitor/keybord if you want. :)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

I love my Dell notebook. The screen's higher resolution than any pc monitor, so even though it's 17" across, it looks a heck of a lot bigger. Even though it's wide, it's thin and light enough for me to take anywhere, and the batter life these days is awesome. I would not go back to a desktop for any reason.

As far as Windows being more prone to viruses / spyware. I use mozilla to browse the net and don't open e-mail attachments from people I don't know, and my computer has been virus and spyware free for over 3 years.

No one can argue with the superior design and finish of macs. I used to like mac's until I finally got to see the first intel driven macs. They're SO much faster than the old motorolas. All the mumbo jumbo Jobs was feeding us about clock speeds not being the same across the different platforms, was a bunch of BS IMHO. I was so irked I almost sold my ipod. :)

Its 0 dollars extra for the fact that its black, the black is 200 dollars more than the white but that is due to the 20 extra gig hard drive space on the black vesion. The new macbook is the 13 inch dual core version of the macbook pro which is available in 15 and 17 inch. The 17 inch is quite pricey at almost 3 grand for the computer with everything you could want on it, but it is probably one of the best computers out on the market right now. The processor speed and the ability to handle multiple graphics intensive programs at once is almost unparalleled. For most people this will never make a difference because they browse the web, word process, etc. These use very little of the processors capability, but for those who do do graphic design etc. it is far and away one of the best and most user friendly computers out there. Dell's support tends to be in india, whereas Apple often times is in the states (every time ive dealt with them) as well as you can go to the store if you have a problem. IMO if your sick of viruses, and arent a gamer, mac is by far superior.

Just my 2 cents.

Its 0 dollars extra for the fact that its black, the black is 200 dollars more than the white but that is due to the 20 extra gig hard drive space on the black vesion.

I think I'd rather pay 200 for the black color then pay $10/gb...

Please tell me there is something else besides the 20 gigs?! :crazy:

I'm afraid not, the 20gb upgrade is just $50 so it's really a $150 upcharge for getting a black MacBook. :)

I've been using PB G4 1.67Ghz w/15" and waiting for new version of OS X that hopefully will include Boot Camp before thinking about getting either black MacBook or 15" MacBook Pro.

I don't mind using Windows computer(use it at work) but I've been using Macs for 12 years and quite satisfied with them, just my personal opinion. Of course, the longevity of using one appeals to me too, my wife still use her 5 yr old G4 w/23" LCD with no problems. Sure, they are more expensive than most PC's but it comes with plenty of software and they do hold their resale value very well.

Just assess what you need to use a computer for and then choose either Mac or PC.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Its 0 dollars extra for the fact that its black, the black is 200 dollars more than the white but that is due to the 20 extra gig hard drive space on the black vesion.

I think I'd rather pay 200 for the black color then pay $10/gb...

Please tell me there is something else besides the 20 gigs?! :crazy:

I'm afraid not, the 20gb upgrade is just $50 so it's really a $150 upcharge for getting a black MacBook. :)

I've been using PB G4 1.67Ghz w/15" and waiting for new version of OS X that hopefully will include Boot Camp before thinking about getting either black MacBook or 15" MacBook Pro.

I don't mind using Windows computer(use it at work) but I've been using Macs for 12 years and quite satisfied with them, just my personal opinion. Of course, the longevity of using one appeals to me too, my wife still use her 5 yr old G4 w/23" LCD with no problems. Sure, they are more expensive than most PC's but it comes with plenty of software and they do hold their resale value very well.

Just assess what you need to use a computer for and then choose either Mac or PC.

I'm excited that this thread has been a good healthy debate/discussion. Most Mac vs PC threads would have at least one 'Windows r l33t' or 'OSX pwns M$' comments by now.

I don't understand the users that take the extreme stance when it comes to this topic. Neither the Mac or PC is perfect, and each has its own nitch in the market.

From time to time I work with some professional ITs that are with a large private college. For the last few years, this college, has been pushing the use of Macs. Since then, the ITs have had to become more familar with OSX. Some of those ITs where die hard windows fans, prior to the switch - probably even the ones making the comments like I stated above. Many of those windows users have become much more proficient with OSX, and in turn have gain a lot of appreciation for it. On the other hand, there are a few ITs that were unbaised to the subject before the Macs were introduced to the campus and now they hate them. As IT professionals, its hard to justify their love or hate for OSX because of miss use or pure lack of knowledge. Their feelings towards a specific OS tend to be tech based. Since these ITs were so split, I tend think that in a free/fair market the public would be just as split on the same topic. Its seems the public is finally starting to come around to the idea of switching and discovering their preferred platform. I hope this leads to a split market, and better prices for the rest of us ;)

My concern is in the future of personal computing and Macs. I see the future heading towards extremely mobile all in one devices, and Mac doesn't even have their foot in the door. There will always be a need for a desktop workstation, but I don't think thats the future. Portable media is already making a its way into a lot of peoples daily lives. I think these media players will be replaced with all in one portable devices. Many of the cell phones are already starting to include some sort of media player and web browser. All the carriers offer some sort of Smartphone or PDA and as the months go on, they're only getting smaller and faster. I have a PPC6700. It does everything I need and more. I do the majority of my web surfing, emailing, word processing, and media on the go. Now the only time I get on a laptop is when I need to be multitasking, as the memory on the PPC becomes an issue. I hope mac brings its creative designs, and simplicity to the mobile realm sooner then later.

Chris

Nope thats the right price. the one you linked is the 1.83 ghz dual core which is 1099 from apple store minus a 100 dollar rebate, same price as on amazon. the one that costs more is a 2.0 ghz dual core. faster processor costs more on both amazon and apple. The prices are pretty standard on apple product all over.

Nope thats the right price. the one you linked is the 1.83 ghz dual core which is 1099 from apple store minus a 100 dollar rebate, same price as on amazon. the one that costs more is a 2.0 ghz dual core. faster processor costs more on both amazon and apple. The prices are pretty standard on apple product all over.

I think we've confused each other here...

I was just trying to point out the basic Macbook was onsale for $999, which is even cheaper then the education discount.

Maybe my previous posts, and refrences to the black Macbook was confusing with the new post? I'm not sure.. Anyways... I posted what I wanted to , and I still think its a good price if you're looking for the cheaper Macbook 13

Chris

Nope I understood, the price was the same, your saying with the 100 dollar rebate from amazon its cheaper than the education discount. I thought you meant before the rebate it was cheaper. Yeah after the rebate you save 50 bucks from amazon over apples education discount. Good price either way at 1099, 1049, or 999 for the computer.

Nope I understood, the price was the same, your saying with the 100 dollar rebate from amazon its cheaper than the education discount. I thought you meant before the rebate it was cheaper. Yeah after the rebate you save 50 bucks from amazon over apples education discount. Good price either way at 1099, 1049, or 999 for the computer.

Well, Chris is correct since I've bought from Apple's Education stores and few Macs from Amazon & Macconnection stores.

The MacBook from Amazon will save more than what you can get one from Apple's education discount because Apple charges sales tax while Amazon does not. The sales tax probably will negates any potential savings that you can obtain by ordering from Apple's education store. I could get a black MacBook from Apple Education Store for $1399 plus about 5% or so sales tax but you can get same one from Amazon for that same price of $1399 after mail-in rebate along with free shipping which is a no brainer. Cheapest MacBook from Amazon will cost $999 after $100 mail-in rebate with free shipping as compared to $1049 from Apple Ed store not including sales tax being tacked on it.

Like as Chris said, I enjoyed this nice Mac vs PC topic without anyone getting too heated about the debate because I've always felt that both platforms has their pro & cons. But yes, I know that Mac will never gain better than 5% or 10% at the most market share due to overwhelming PC applications that many businesses needs to use.

62 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

Callaway Rogue Max LS 10.5 Ventus Red Velocore 6-S 

TSR2 10* Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Callaway Paradym TD 15* & AI Smoke TD 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 5-AW AMT Black S300

SM9 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

Like as Chris said, I enjoyed this nice Mac vs PC topic without anyone getting too heated about the debate because I've always felt that both platforms has their pro & cons. But yes, I know that Mac will never gain better than 5% or 10% at the most market share due to overwhelming PC applications that many businesses needs to use.

Trends are changing - Macs could capture more then 10% of the market, but it'll all be home users. Like you stated, the business realm is untouchable. Even if Mac could convince every business out there that their product was better, they'd still continue to use PCs. Its simple too expensive for a company to just dump their PCs and licensing.

If the market was free and fair, Macs would hold a much larger share of the pie.

Chris

If the market was free and fair, Macs would hold a much larger share of the pie.

Chris

Well, let's be correct here though. If Apple had the foresight to open up their operating system the way Microsoft did with MS-DOS way back when, this thread would have an entirely different tone to it. But Apple said 'mine, mine, mine' and MS said, 'gimme, gimme, gimme' market share. The rest is history.

Chris

Well, let's be correct here though. If Apple had the foresight to open up their operating system the way Microsoft did with MS-DOS way back when, this thread would have an entirely different tone to it. But Apple said 'mine, mine, mine' and MS said, 'gimme, gimme, gimme' market share. The rest is history.

I remember when Apples were all the rage, I spent a lot of time learning to work with these, and it wound up being a waste of time, for the most part. Much like IBM, they threw some great opportunities away by being overly proprietary with their technology.

Hindsight is always 20/20...