Callaway Tour i(z) against trusted ix.

Pepperturbo

I used i(z) for 18 holes yesterday
Not sure where this goes, as I couldn't find a category for this ball.

A little background... Yesterdays temp was about 70* with breezes in the 2-5 mph range at times. Rough was about 3", fairways cut nicely providing some run, and greens about 10,undulated, but rolling nicely. Get the ball online and at the right speed it will go in. My driver has 9.5* and 3 wood has 15* loft, and my original 07 x-forged irons and my 54* wedge have grooves that do not meet the new groove rule, but my 60* LW has old fashion "V" grooves, which surpasses the new groove rule, and play to a low single index.

I've been enjoying the benefits of Callaway's "Tour ix" ball since its introduction, it’s been my #1 ball. But before I share my experiences with Callaway's Tour i(z) here's a brief description of my thoughts with Callaway's Tour ix.

Tour “ix” is long off my driver as well as wood contributing to what I see as optimal trajectory, and minimal spin. With irons in hand I get the spin I want, sometimes too much stopping before desired. Tour ix has been a great ball to play in to the wind or rain, as it holds trajectory realizing a fair amount of the distance I'd get in otherwise benign conditions. Into fast green's that hold, ix hit's, checks and stops quickly, plus spin back. It's a great all around ball for people like me that spin the ball a lot with woods, yet behaves in an opposite manner off irons and around greens.

Now to my experience with Callaway's i(z) ball. Setting aside i(z) cost which is up there with other comparable premium balls as it should be. I like being able to trust what my ball is going to do presuming I execute the shot properly,performance diversity, more importantly trust costs.

The first noticeable aspect of the ball was it flew about the same distance as ix off driver and 3 wood, however I realized more fairway and rough bounce and roll. In other words even if it was two feet or twenty sometime more, improved ball speed was there compared to Tour ix which translates into longer.

Using long irons I realized a bit more yardage; in other words the ‘faster ball speed” that Callaway speaks of is real, least in my case. After my drive on the first hole to the middle right of the fairway, I was left with an uphill shot of 178 yds to a middle right pin. Normally due to the uphill turf where the ball sat and uphill shot to the green plus fade trajectory I would have added one club; but I went with 5 iron to see if the ball provide extra distance as claimed. I struck it well only didn't get the intended fade. I kept expecting it to drop any moment, but it kept flying straight landing 10' off the left side in the rough pin high on the backside of small camel back, it carried further then expected.

The next shot was a wedge test. Using 60* LW with “V” grooves I needed to land the ball on down hill front side of the camels back in the rough figuring run out would leave me past the pin 6-10'. I struck the ball the way I wanted it landed almost where I wanted, bounced once and ran right at thepin but it surprisingly it was slowing at the cup finishing only 2' past,leaving me an easy putt for par.

Facing a tight uphill 175 yard Par 3 with OB right, deep bunker front left and into a breeze I chose 5i, pulled it long left, landing in the rough past pin high on the left, and back side of another camel hump. Not only did I face an uphill lie angle it was really a down hill shot, and the green was running away from me at the pin as well. Again using LW I landed the ball on the top front section of the hump,it ran down onto the green turning right a bit and began slowing stopping 3’ the other side of the cup for an easy par.

Later I found myself in a fairway bunker off a long par 4 with 188 yds to pin in the back. A tree over hang at the front right of the bunker gave 12' clearance and a ravine of sorts from the front of the bunker to the minimal fairway edge short of the green requiring 165 yards of carry. I had two shots, either bunker shot out into the fairway 15-20 yards then hit 3 at the pin or a punch shot under overhang; but it had to be struck well to carry the ravine. I went with the later. It was good lie in a shallow fairway bunker with fine sand. Using 3 iron (195-205) choking down and putting the ball back of center I took a three quarter hard swing and hit the ball exactly how I wanted. Callaway's i(z) never got above 6' flying under the tree branches like an arrow covering 165 it landed short of the green about 170 yards bounced once on the uphill finishing on the front third section of the green; I two putted for par. The fact it carried as far as it did was another example of improvements.

Callaway's new i(z) surprised me more then once in distance and spin. When struck squarely with driver it provided more bounce and run in the fairway then I'd get with ix. If I hit it properly on short shots from the rough it checked and stopped, but not as quickly as ix, which at times is good, other times not so good, depends. With proper setup and square impact it had a bit more run out then ix, as was the case on the last hole. I didn't execute with LW. The ball ran about 10’ past the cup leaving me a down hill putt, which I missed finishing with bogie.

When I was anticipating it would behave like ix, it felt like I was getting something better. The only time I got something I didn't like was when “I didn't execute” properly, which happened too many times on the back nine.

Last but not least, when I walked off 18, i(z) still looked almost bright white as though it hadn’t been hit with out any marks; where as ix had a slightly off white appearance, least to my ye. Its obvious Callaway improved the cover and its durability.

All in all the Callaway's"i(z)" performed beyond my expectations. What that told me when walking off 18 was can’t blame equipment. The only thing that will hold me back will be not executing or thinking poorly. Callaway has managed to improve upon what I thought was a great ball to begin with. Thanks Callaway; i(z) is my new ball. Hope this helps.
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to here your review. I have always lliked the (ix) and have played it or the proV1X. I was excited to try the iz after I saw it was coming out this season. I was ordering a new set of Callaway wedges w/some customization from Shop-Callaway and decided to order a dozen at the same time. I received shipping information stating that the balls had shipped a day before the wedges, sounded good. I get home and open the package and Suprise...Suprise...Suprise, they shipped three dozen and only charged me for one. Being the geek I am, I called customer service to ask them what they wanted to do and the customer service rep said, "thanks for calling" "enjoy the extra balls"..sounded good to me.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

Glad to here your review. I have always lliked the (ix) and have played it or the proV1X. I was excited to try the iz after I saw it was coming out this season. I was ordering a new set of Callaway wedges w/some customization from Shop-Callaway and decided to order a dozen at the same time. I received shipping information stating that the balls had shipped a day before the wedges, sounded good. I get home and open the package and Suprise...Suprise...Suprise, they shipped three dozen and only charged me for one. Being the geek I am, I called customer service to ask them what they wanted to do and the customer service rep said, "thanks for calling" "enjoy the extra balls"..sounded good to me.clapping.gifclapping.gifclapping.gif

Not a geek... "honest".  I would have done the same thing.   :drinks:

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I didn't like either Callaway ball last year, but have been hearing such good things I decided to give them a try.

I picked up a sleeve for my round on Sunday and really liked them. I've been playing the Penta a lot recently and like the firmer feel of the iz a little better off the driver and long irons. It was cold and wet but the iz still flew a mile. They also felt really solid off the short irons. I flew more than one green with full swings using both long and short irons, so I know they're hitting further, but on a cold wet day it's hard to quantify.

I did have a few issues with it. They could be due to the cold and need another round..

1. I couldn't get a good read on putting. I was constantly long or short. The greens were wet so I'm giving the iz a pass on that.

2. I couldn't get any consistency on pitches. The ball seems to need more "oomph!" than the penta to go as far on short shots. BUT when it gets the oomph it really takes off. Like putting, I was too long or too short with the pitching game.

So, for the super short came, the ball was inconsistent *that day*

Even with those complaints, if I could have had my average round of putting, I would have hit a career low at my local course. That's pretty good for a cold nasty day.

I'll be picking up a full box for this weekend.:clapping:

Been looking for a replacement for my TP Reds.

I tried the ix last year and as much as I practiced with it I could NOT get the ball to the hole off the putter. VERY frustrating.

I decided to give the iz a chance this past weekend so I bought a sleeve.

Found the performance to be VERY much like the TP Red AND the PROV1x. Goes longer and lower off the driver with a little less spin into the green. I like my ball to drop and STOP on the green. Don't want it to release and don't want it to spin back; just drop and stop and the iz does exactly that, just like the TP Red and the PROV1x.

Off the putter the iz felt a bit softer than the TP Red but at least I could control the distance and wasn't leaving everything short of the hole.

A definite candidate for replacing the TP Red. :good:

Well I've had the same Tour i(z) ball in play for four rounds. Now what I am noticing is I am not feeling the ball nearly as much as I did at first. The difference being I am not looking, just hitting it; and that's bothersome. I like feeling the ball at impact. Callaway Tour ix still feels the case. I suspect the Tour i(z) has a bit softer outer cover. It's begining to remind me of how a Penta feels. It still fly's well and feels nice and behaves around the green, but I am not sure if I can adjust. Being able to feel the ball at impact allows me to know instantly how I struck the ball. I'll play the three I have until I can't, then I'll know.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Great review!

I am surprised that they do not spin as much around the green as the Tour ix.

I have a few sleeves but haven't had the opportunity to put them into play as of yet. (damn weather)
I did however get the chance to use them on the practice green comparing with pro V1, Tour i and my usual gamer, Tour ix.

The Tour i(z) felt as soft off the putter as the Tour i, not as much as the Pro V1. What I did notice was that the Pro V1 and Tour i(z) did not 'click' off my putter like the Tour i and Tour ix. I had heard that Callaway had engineered that click into their ball to emulate that sound off their Odyssey putters that you would get with a sound slotted putter. Perhaps now they are trying to go head to head with the Pro V1 again in terms of short game feel.

I look forward to putting them in play, I also have a sleeve of Tour i(s) now, which seems to be the ball of choice for their tour staff.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

i(s) is for those folks that have a nice somewhat flat by comparison swing; not imparting spin at impact.  There will come a day where this ole' man will flatten his swing and not hit it as hard, :D but when that happens I probably won't be considering i(s) or the likes.  Now, off the the gym to forestall that inevitable day.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='02 March 2010 - 12:57 PM' timestamp='1267552655' post='2288050']
i(s) is for those folks that have a nice somewhat flat by comparison swing; not imparting spin at impact. There will come a day where this ole' man will flatten his swing and not hit it as hard, :D but when that happens I probably won't be considering i(s) or the likes. Now, off the the gym to forestall that inevitable day.
[/quote]

Here here... well said!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Excellent review! Thanks!

Any additional thoughts on the durability of these? For me, so far at least, the ProV1 and V1x are the gold standard in terms of durability...and they still perform great too of course.

With that said, I've been using the Srixon Z-StarX lately and it's pretty good in all categories too. Curious to hear how the new Cally balls compare in terms of durability.

[quote name='Deadpool_25' date='02 March 2010 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1267591309' post='2289642']
Excellent review! Thanks!

Any additional thoughts on the durability of these? For me, so far at least, the ProV1 and V1x are the gold standard in terms of durability...and they still perform great too of course.

With that said, I've been using the Srixon Z-StarX lately and it's pretty good in all categories too. Curious to hear how the new Cally balls compare in terms of durability.
[/quote]

I did a review of the durability and you can see it here [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/334282-callaway-tour-is-and-iz-durability-with-pictures/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/334282-callaway-tour-is-and-iz-durability-with-pictures/[/url]

I actually like that heavy feeling of the Tour iX, I also like the spin around the greens.  It seems to drop and stop better than the Pro V1x's, even thought it supposedly spins less.  The iX just feels heavier to me than the V1x's as well, even though its not.

Anyways, looks like I have to stock up on some iX's.  I'm willing to sacrifice some distance to get that heavier feel and spin unless I hear some better reviews of the iZ.

Ok so bottom line.....I love the tour ix, so will I love the iz better? I love the spin around the green with the ix. And the clicking sound don't bother me at all. Just another thing to buy and try! einstein.gif

I can't bottom line it for anyone.  It depends on each persons SS and how each of us impacts the ball and their level of feel vs what impact sound translates to.  

The i(z) feels different then ix to "me".  Whether that's good or bad will vary per person.  The i(z) has more bounce and roll in the fairway and around the green then ix.  I am not sure what clicking sound people are talking about however.  I pay little attention to sounds.  All my focus goes towards feeling the the ball at impact.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Ok so bottom line.....I love the tour ix, so will I love the iz better? I love the spin around the green with the ix. And the clicking sound don't bother me at all. Just another thing to buy and try! einstein.gif

I can't bottom line it for anyone. It depends on each persons SS and how each of us impacts the ball and their level of feel vs what impact sound translates to.

The i(z) feels different then ix to "me". Whether that's good or bad will vary per person. The i(z) has more bounce and roll in the fairway and around the green then ix. I am not sure what clicking sound people are talking about however. I pay little attention to sounds. All my focus goes towards feeling the the ball at impact.

Ok Thanks......guess the best thing to do is try a sleeve next time. Thanks for the input!

Hey everyone just my 2 cents here... And I will start off by saying that I am a huge fan of the Tour IX and have stocked up on 12 dozen of their balls because I know this ball is the best performing ball for my game. My SS is 110 MPH and ball speed is 164 MPH with driver spin of 3,200 RPM at 15.9 degrees. I Play a Titleist 905S with 8.5* and X-stiff V2 tour Flight shaft. I hit the ball loads high with tons of back spin. The Tour IX gives me just the right amount of spin with my short irons... in fact just the other day I backed up a ball with an 8-iron shot into a relatively flat green 18 feet!

I have tested the Tour I(z) until i'm blue in the face! What I do is tee off with my driver with both the Tour I(x) and the Tour I(z) and then compare the distance/trajectory/feel of both balls. Off the driver I have found both balls to travel about the same distance. I have NOT found the Tour I(z) to be longer off either the driver or the irons. If anything, the Tour I(z) feels too soft off the driver/irons and seems to spin more. I would NOT recommend this ball for high spin / high launching players. The best golf balls I have ever hit are the Tour Ix, the TP Red LDP, and the Bridgestone B330. These balls give me the right amount of spin and travel VERY far off the driver with low spin compared to other tour golf balls.

If you are looking for a softer golf ball that plays well in the wind, then I would play the Tour I(s) or Tour I(z). If you prefer a firmer feeling ball that spins really low off the driver, then play the Tour Ix, the Bridgestone B330, or the TP Red LDP. I've found these balls to perform the best for my swing.

Well another testy golf day; 2-4 club wind, 50* temps and felt like rain any time, but didn't.  I started the day with i(z) and liked the results till temp and winds wosened.  I noticed more bounce and roll with i(z), including on greens with LW and run out wasn't desired.  Always seemed to leave me behind the pin putting back down.  Seemed as though the i(z) didn't perform as well as ix out of two bunkers.  In both cases it ix did what was planned, that wasn't the case with i(z); they always had more run out.  Facing a slight downhill into the breeze 186 yd Par 3 with bunker left side, false front, water fronting and all around the right side of the green to the back; pin in front.   Using i(z) I hit 7i short front of the green edge 170yds.  What I came away with today was a bit of disappointment.  Maybe it came down to me lacking confidence in the i(z) as opposed to Tour ix.  I just don't like how the i(z) feels off a well struck shot.  It doesn't seem to carry as far and feel as solid off my irons.  It's fine off driver though.  Today it was easy to say feel as though Tour ix handles wind and cold better and stops quicker.  What I don't like is having to anticipate run out with i(z).  I don't have to do that with Tour ix.

Bioman - No, haven't tested i(s), and likely won't as it's spins more the i(z). sorry.   It might be the answer off wedges but don't think it will be for me off irons or driver.  None of the spin balls have worked for me.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Pepperturbo,

I tested the Tour i(z) as well today in Charlotte, NC. The temperature here today was 64 degrees, sunny, and 2-3 MPH winds. Very ideal conditions on the course I played - firm fairways and firm fast greens! I have continued to observe the SAME exact results you have with the Tour ix vs. the tour i(z). The Tour ix is a better golf ball, I'm telling you.... It is not a placebo effect. Off the driver, both balls perform EQUAL in distance. I was able to tee off with 2 balls on every hole (played late afternoon) and I found the distance to be nearly identical for the tour ix and i(z) off the driver. However, with irons I have found the tour i(z) to bounce and roll too much w/ wedge and let's talk about bunker play.... The tour i(z) is unpredictable out of bunkers.... I had two bunker shots with it and the ball released too much.... The tour i(z) is not as reliable inside 100 yards at CONTROL. I don't feel like i'm playing with a PREMIUM ball that allows me to stop a ball on a dime and give me opportunity for birdie.

I really want this ball to work for me... after all this is supposedly the replacement to the Tour ix. But the truth is that the tour ix and the TP Red LDP are superior golf balls. They perform as good off the driver and offer better distance control and IDEAL spin off irons... This is very noticeable on approach shots.

so what's the point of the tour i(z)? It doesn't even play longer than the tour ix, so forget about it.... Play the tour ix or the TP Red LDP if you are HIGH SPIN, HIGH LAUNCHING golfer.

I have not given the tour i(s) a good try yet... However, I was never a fan of the tour i because it spun too much for me.

• 3 weeks later...

[size="3"][size="2"]This is the closing chapter regarding Callaway i(z) as the final results are in.  After two outstanding rounds of golf this past weekend using Callaway's i(z) ball I am fully convinced it's a better ball then Tour ix, TM TP Red tournament Edition and Penta; maybe the best ball I’ve ever played.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]Never thought I’d say that about a ball either. [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]After Saturday's round Sunday when I thought I wouldn't have one to tee up I found myself disappointed, as they are not commonly found in green grass locations yet. Thankfully as I was rooted around in my bag, I found one last new i(z)from the sleeve.  It was weird; I was excited...  figure that, over a darn ball.[/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Anyways, the weekends weather in SOCA was perfect for golf.  I played two tracks that were in really nice condition, both good tests of golf; and having played both before I generally knew where to expect my ball to be when properly struck.  That's not exactly how it worked out.  To my surprise I consistently found my ball in new places. [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]On a 170+ yard Par 3 where normally I played "5 iron" with Tour ix, this time I used an"easy" 6 iron and found the back edge of the green, 21' past the pin;that's a first.  I don't normally see easy 6i as 170 carry. [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]I hit a weak tee shot on a Par 4 leaving me 205 yards uphill; using 3 iron I pulled it left into the rough but landed parallel to the back of the green; that's never happened before.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]Normally my 3i is 190-198 yard carry in benign level conditions, but this was uphill.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]I expected the shot to be just on or short of front.  The result I was getting had to be the ball, not me.  [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Later facing a 168 yard dramatic uphill par 3 where history has me using 4 iron due to its dramatic uphill; I chose 5 iron.  When I saw the ball fly over the front edge I paused thinking maybe its close; turned out it was 3' leaving an easy birdie putt.  I hit the ball rather well, but that IMO is the ball carrying further, not so much me.[/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Then a difficult elevated Par 4 with a breeze in our face.  Expecting bogie here, I choose 2 iron to keep it low and boring and in get it into the middle.  Because of the elevated tee and I trust the ball's ability to bore through the breeze I still get 225 yards?  That left me 200 more yards to a back left pin. Choosing 3 iron I landed the ball on the front of the green but the false front fed it backwards down a hill leaving me 40+ yards to the pin and an uphill lie.  Using 54* the ball hit checked nicely and skidded to a quick stop 5' right of the pin, made the putt to save par.  It amazes me that a ball can provide distance yet be a spinner around the greens.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]Me a happy :D camper.  [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Facing a somewhat benign 155 yard Par 3 but a front left pin, bringing a deep left bunker into play I don’t want to short side myself.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]I would normally chose 7 but chose 8; and yanked it left into that bunker, but almost pin high.  First bunker of the day and it had to be packed.  I opened the face of 60 and the ball came out beautifully sliding to 1' for a tap in saving par.  Now I am facing a tight landing area tee shot on a Par 5. Using 2i I hit it stinky, only 180 yds not reaching the fairway. Next shot is very important if I am going to be able to save par. Using 2 iron again I nut this one sweet straight down the fairway from out of 2" rough and got it to a leave of 175 yds.  I can save par and do;couldn't believe how much run I got out of that ball.[/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]For some unique reason I found confidence in the ball; that's never been the case for me with other balls...weird.  [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Sunday's round was even better; only my GIR’s were stinky... figure that, and yet thanks to the Callaway i(z) ball and a decent short game I was getting up and down from allover; it seemed.[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]I even holed out a few times from off the green and carded 3 birdies.  I posted one of my best rounds. In retrospect, I can't help but think the ball had something to do with my confidence in choosing clubs and when over that ball.  That's never been the case before.[/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]For my game the areas were Callaway i(z) improvements over Tour ix is not only stated distance” but "bounce& run" and “spin” around the greens.   Tour ix didn't give up much in the way of fairway bounce and run.  I often wondered if it had to do with the dramatic hex shaped dimples, but it carried well; still for me Callaway i(z) is longer.[/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]Both days greens were rolling nicely at about 10.5.  It putts great too.  This ball really feels nice during short pitches and chipping 20-60'.  As long as I've been playing golf I've never felt as though a ball helped me score; but this one for what ever the reason gave me that feeling.  Whether in actuality it did,doesn't really matter as playing a good golf is all about confidence and trusting in my equipment; and what ever helps that to exist is good in my book. [/size][/size]

[size="3"][size="2"]As of today all balls have been taken out of my bag to make room for Callaway i(z).[/size][size="2"]  [/size][size="2"]Buying a few dozen this week.  Great ball Callaway :clapping: [/size][size="2"]Thanks.[/size][/size]

PS: golfwrx, please fix your full editor.  It likes to meld words together.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='cantill2' date='07 March 2010 - 09:04 PM' timestamp='1268017499' post='2300637']
Pepperturbo,

I tested the Tour i(z) as well today in Charlotte, NC.  The temperature here today was 64 degrees, sunny, and 2-3 MPH winds.   Very ideal conditions on the course I played - firm fairways and firm fast greens!    I have continued to observe the SAME exact results you have with the Tour ix vs. the tour i(z).   The Tour ix is a better golf ball, I'm telling you....  It is not a placebo effect.   Off the driver, both balls perform EQUAL in distance.   I was able to tee off with 2 balls on every hole (played late afternoon) and I found the distance to be nearly identical for the tour ix and i(z) off the driver.      However, with irons I have found the tour i(z) to bounce and roll too much w/ wedge and let's talk about bunker play....     The tour i(z) is unpredictable out of bunkers....   I had two bunker shots with it and the ball released too much....    The tour i(z) is not as reliable inside 100 yards at CONTROL.    I don't feel like i'm playing with a PREMIUM ball that allows me to stop a ball on a dime and give me opportunity for birdie.

I really want this ball to work for me... after all this is supposedly the replacement to the Tour ix.   But the truth is that the tour ix and the TP Red LDP are superior golf balls.   They perform as good off the driver and offer better distance control and IDEAL spin off irons...    This is very noticeable on approach shots.  

so what's the point of the tour i(z)?   It doesn't even play longer than the tour ix, so forget about it....     Play the tour ix or the TP Red LDP if you are HIGH SPIN, HIGH LAUNCHING golfer.

I have not given the tour i(s) a good try yet...     However, I was never a fan of the tour i because it spun too much for me.
[/quote]

the point of the tour i(z) is it's longer then ix, and bounces and runs more too.  If you can't spin or stop the i(z) there's not much I can say.  It works really well for me.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Thanks for a good detailed review. Now I hope someone does a good review like yours with the i(s). I loved the i(x) and want to see which one is closer to the i(x). I really started to get used to how soft the ball is and learning even more how to use it around the greens. Having alot of success with it. Even more so I've gotten better putting with it. I seem to putt much better with the i(x) then any other ball. I recently got a deal on 7 boxes of i(x) balls but only paid for 3 of them. Couldn't pass that up.

As I see it if someone is successful with Tour ix its not likely they will have the same success with Tour i or the new Tour i(s) profile.  I played ProV1X for a number of years; tested ProV, B-330 and B-330S, TM TP Black and Red, Callaway i, and tried the new Penta.  

I settled on Tour ix and TM TP Red, but for different reasons.  Both are similarly long for me but TM TP Red offered more bounce and roll; while ix carried further and bore through the wind and rain better so choosing which per round depended on on conditions. 

Also I am a hitter of the ball imparting lots of spin due to angle of impact.  With my swing Tour i and Tour i(s) are higher spin balls, comparable to TM Black, B 330 and ProV.  Where as Tour ix and i(z) are like ProV1X, TM TP Red and 330-S, all lower spin and trajectory balls; spin a bit less off woods too but need to be properly compressed to realize the distance difference.  

Saying that I am by no means saying someone can't play both profiles; it all depends on what the users expectations and their angle of impact is.

What I found common playing softer spin balls like ProV and Callaway's i, etc., is not only do they feel softer, they tended to be shorter providing a higher trajectory because they spin too much for me.  They are fine off woods for me as I tend not to hit the ball nearly as "hard" with driver as I do with iron so thats where I have to make a choice, based on performance with the best part of my game which is irons, wedges and putting.

The person I see them benefiting most from soft spin balls like ProV and the like would be golfers with good swing speeds, but more important a flatter swing plane into the ball so less spin is imparted to the ball at impact; letting the balls natural spin characteristics takes over.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX