Black golds vs. Project Xs...Which is better?

johnman1969

Please give me feedback on these 2 shafts for my irons.
I am a 9 hcp with a six iron ss of approx. 80 mph.

I am getting either TM LT2 or Callaway X-Tour irons and would like either of these shafts in the irons I pick.

Which one has better feel and how many extra yards (if any) can I expect from these shafts? Please, all feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Black gold is better because you can feel the 1/2 swings better. and i like the weight better. And the flex throughout the flex is more "consistent. PX feels a bit stiff in shorter irons.

Installing i hear Black gold is easier too . to get the proper swing weight.

Both results is about the same. goes up high and low spin. and pretty stiff that you need to chase a bit .

I am in the same process of trying to decide, but I am not so much concerned with distance (gain or loss). Even if I loose/gain 10 yards on each club, I am more concerned with feel and accuracy.

Hard decision to make and not a cheap date to experiment with the whole set. I think I am going to buy one of each and just reshaft 1-2 clubs and see how it turns out.

I've played DG S300 for a while. I hit PX 5.5 in a KZG ZO 5 iron and picked up half a club. I loved the feel and trajectory so I immediately wanted to re-shaft my set of Z101's. At the last second, I decided to just do my 7 iron and man am I glad I only did one. It played/felt much different than the PX 5.5 I hit 2 weeks earlier. I was given a couple possible reasons...the Z101 has a deeper bore/hosel than some other irons and a good club maker told me that could have stiffened it up by 1/2 a flex. Also, he told me that because the PX are constant weight (not frequency matched) that you could get a set of 5.5 with some 5.3's, a couple 5.5's and a 6.2 in there too (in no particular progression)! So, he said lots of people are buying 2-3 sets and pulling the best freq shafts from those and selling of the others. I have a couple test clubs coming to me on Monday with a Black Gold stiff, Black Gold Xstiff and PX 5.5 all in the exact same heads, loft, lie and all. So, that's how I'm going to be making my decision for the whole set.

I've played DG S300 for a while. I hit PX 5.5 in a KZG ZO 5 iron and picked up half a club. I loved the feel and trajectory so I immediately wanted to re-shaft my set of Z101's. At the last second, I decided to just do my 7 iron and man am I glad I only did one. It played/felt much different than the PX 5.5 I hit 2 weeks earlier. I was given a couple possible reasons...the Z101 has a deeper bore/hosel than some other irons and a good club maker told me that could have stiffened it up by 1/2 a flex. Also, he told me that because the PX are constant weight (not frequency matched) that you could get a set of 5.5 with some 5.3's, a couple 5.5's and a 6.2 in there too (in no particular progression)! So, he said lots of people are buying 2-3 sets and pulling the best freq shafts from those and selling of the others. I have a couple test clubs coming to me on Monday with a Black Gold stiff, Black Gold Xstiff and PX 5.5 all in the exact same heads, loft, lie and all. So, that's how I'm going to be making my decision for the whole set.

Some companies will be spot on with the frequencies, others will not. That is coming from the tour Rifle rep. If you do your own or order the shafts to reshaft, then you might run into some frequency issues.

Some companies will be spot on with the frequencies, others will not. That is coming from the tour Rifle rep. If you do your own or order the shafts to reshaft, then you might run into some frequency issues.

You'd think the rep might find it ironic that the company that put butt frequency on the map does not freq match their top end shaft that costs two hundred freakin' dollars a set.

PX are not spot on in frequencies because RP does not check them and they will get too many rejects if they do. On the other hand, crappy Dynamic steel combo flex freq alot better using standard trimming.

I switched from s-300's to PX 5.0 and picked up half a club. True the PX play a bit stiffer than DG's but if you get the proper fitting it's not an issue.

I had a similar experience with the PX's. I replaced the S300's on my MP-60's with PX 5.0's thinking they would be softer. The whole set flexes stiffer than the S300. What did you end up doing to adjust them?

I switched from s-300's to PX 5.0 and picked up half a club. True the PX play a bit stiffer than DG's but if you get the proper fitting it's not an issue.

I had a similar experience with the PX's. I replaced the S300's on my MP-60's with PX 5.0's thinking they would be softer. The whole set flexes stiffer than the S300. What did you end up doing to adjust them?

Interesting that yours flexed stiffer. Mine ended up flexing a little softer, but not much. My club fitter and I argued for about a week before he convinced me that 5.0 was the right shaft flex. My ego got in the way a little. :) My comment about fitting was that a club fitter should be able to get you to the proper flex. Sorry I guess I can't really address your specific problem.

I am having my s59's reshafted with PX right now. I am taking out the zz65's. When he checked the stiffness of the zz65's he said they were slightly stiffer than s300's. I am hoping the PX's help. I talked to my fitter yesterday and he is having a little more trouble with them because the head weights are all over the place. He was surprised that the cobras were consistent througout the set.

I currently have the same delema. I'm looking at getting a set of CG1 Black Pearls and don't know which shaft to choose. I have hit them with the Black Golds and loved them, but I am just waiting on finding a set w/ the PX's before I make the purchase.

From what I have read the PX's feel more stiff in the short irons but great in the mid and long irons. Who knows I may even make a combo set with the PX's in my long irons.