2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

dented driver crown

TourBound3617

PLEASE HELP. FREAKING OUT!!!
so as a junior golfer i get a little overanxious sometimes and while waiting to leave for my tournament i was messing with my 8 iron in my room. well, my driver was also there and it hit the head of the driver, denting the crown in about 2-3 cm in one spot about 5cm across. its kinda near the hosel. i have a TM Tour Burner TP. will this affect my driver at all, or just cosmetically?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how it's likely at all that he DIDN'T damage the club,

the club is so thin and fragile that once it's dented at all it's going to be much more likely to cave in

I can't imagine that anyone could hit decent shots while looking down at some dented up club, the mental aspect of this game is huge.

i dented my driver the same way. i was taking practice swings with my 8 iron waiting for my turn and i was a little too close to my bag. having knitted head covers on my woods didn't help either!

now i have 2 small dents on the top of my driver (near the back) and had similar worries to you. at first i noticed my drives were a little off but after a few swings everything was back to normal. i think you will find the performance unchanged. mentally you will be distracted seeing a big old dent on your driver head when you are about to tee one up. golf is a mental game as much as physical. it all depends on how quickly you can get over the cosmetic damage.

p.s i am basing this on a small dent on my driver. i am assuming yours is similar. i hope everything works out for you as drivers are too expensive to replace on a whim!

OP, it appears that you're in the Detroit area -- If it turns out the damage to your club affects the performance, I have a Superquad with the stock Re-Ax shaft in X flex that I'm not using anymore (it's in fine shape -- just upgraded) that I'd be willing to give to you so you'll have a driver to use. If you're truly Tour Bound, maybe you'll remember me with a small taste of your millions...:tease:

PM me if it turns out that you need a new club and if you'd want to use mine.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='18 March 2010 - 03:16 PM' timestamp='1268925418' post='2324926']
OP, it appears that you're in the Detroit area -- If it turns out the damage to your club affects the performance, I have a Superquad with the stock Re-Ax shaft in X flex that I'm not using anymore (it's in fine shape -- just upgraded) that I'd be willing to give to you so you'll have a driver to use. If you're truly Tour Bound, maybe you'll remember me with a small taste of your millions...:tease:

[/quote]

What a top bloke!

It's no big deal, guys. I have a new (to me) driver in the bag, and this one is sitting in my basement. It's not worth selling because there's been about 6 versions of the R series since the Superquad came out, so I'd only get a few bucks for it anyway, so if it can help out a junior player in a bind, that's a lot better than having it sitting idly in my basement graveyard bag.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

OP, it appears that you're in the Detroit area -- If it turns out the damage to your club affects the performance, I have a Superquad with the stock Re-Ax shaft in X flex that I'm not using anymore (it's in fine shape -- just upgraded) that I'd be willing to give to you so you'll have a driver to use. If you're truly Tour Bound, maybe you'll remember me with a small taste of your millions...tease.gif

thats really nice of you man. turns out i actually moved to GA about 2 months ago. i would have loved to grab that from you and give you something that i could because thats very kind of you. if only i could come back and get it!

[quote name='TourBound3617' date='18 March 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1268942698' post='2325492']
thats really nice of you man. turns out i actually moved to GA about 2 months ago. i would have loved to grab that from you and give you something that i could because thats very kind of you. if only i could come back and get it!
[/quote]

I can ship it if you want it. Probably wouldn't get it out until next week, but you'd probably get it by the end of the week. Like I said, it's just sitting in the basement now.

[quote name='RookieBlue7' date='18 March 2010 - 04:24 PM' timestamp='1268943869' post='2325527']
I'll pay the shipping charges if you want to ship it to him.
[/quote]

Not necessary, but that's cool of you to offer.

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='18 March 2010 - 04:36 PM' timestamp='1268944609' post='2325555']
[quote name='TourBound3617' date='18 March 2010 - 04:04 PM' timestamp='1268942698' post='2325492']
[/quote]

I can ship it if you want it. Probably wouldn't get it out until next week, but you'd probably get it by the end of the week. Like I said, it's just sitting in the basement now.
[/quote]

yeah man, that would be so awesome. i wish i could thank you.

this guy is an absolute legend. true WRX spirit

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

With some of the negative things I have been reading lately this is really refreshing. Inspires me to want to donate some of my old unused equipment, class act tiger jr.

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

just came across this thread and the world needs more Tiger Jr's now and days.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

AMAZING! Tiger Jr. if we have ever disagreed about anything in this forum. i was wrong and you were right.

Unbelievable class and thoughtfulness. good on ya!

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Thanks guys. I'm just glad to help, and if I can do it for $10 shipping and a driver that I'm not using anymore, that's even better. Appreciate the kind words, but I think I'm getting a little too much credit here.

I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking of donating some of my old clubs before now. I'm pretty sure the First Tee programs around the country would be glad to get any decent clubs they can get their hands on.

a question for the OP though, your sig says u play a S flex. are u going to pull the burner shaft and put it in the r7

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' date='18 March 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1268968857' post='2326399']
Thanks guys. I'm just glad to help, and if I can do it for $10 shipping and a driver that I'm not using anymore, that's even better. Appreciate the kind words, but I think I'm getting a little too much credit here.

I'm actually kicking myself for not thinking of donating some of my old clubs before now. I'm pretty sure the First Tee programs around the country would be glad to get any decent clubs they can get their hands on.
[/quote]

I did the same thing for a young guy once. He is really good at making audio effects, and I'm a session musician, so I had some old parts lying around. These were 1961 original transistors, variable inductors, and other electronic components. They were worth some money, but I knew they'd probably just gather dust, and I'm too lazy to sell them. So, I paid the $10 to ship them to this guy. He loved them, and built several effects units.

It was worth the $10. Keep it up!