Shaft flex and control

raddawg

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If a very good player with a solid swing is looking for controlled power, are they better going with a light shft they can control in an x flex or a heavier shaft in a stiffe flex. ( given a swing speed of 105)

There are three main schools of thought on this matter. First, there is the frequency method whereby that is the only factor for determining shaft fit. I think this is totally backward. The second method is to play the firmest shaft you can still load for control purposes. This is great if you hit every single shot with the same swing, which in reality only happens in testing. The third method is to play the softest flex shaft that you can without losing control of your shots. This is the method that I believe in because the the softer shaft is going to be easier to load on all types of shots, and will react much better in the pitches, which we all hit alot of.

I think flex actually should be one of the final factors in fitting a shaft. Number one would be kick point. That to me is the single most important factor. Second should be shaft weight. Thirdly torque. Once you have all those in place, then you should pick a flex that allows you to use that shaft properly. Lets take for example an Accra SE 80. Very hard shaft to load and has 1.5* of torque. I can honestly play an R in that shaft and not loose any control at 113 mph. No lie. But I cannot tell you how many people have come to me wanting an x just because that is what some snake oil salesman told him it would be more consistent. Really chaps my rear. You would be shocked at the number of sets of Dynamic Gold S300 and S400 being played on tour. More than X100 regardless of what people say on some sites. Just look in Golf Digest this month with Sergio's WITB. He is playing S300. He is one of the longest players on tour and he is playing a softer shaft than most people on these boards. He can do that because the Dynamic Gold is a heavy, low torque, high kick shaft. You dont need X in a product like that. Now if he were playing say a Rifle, he would need a much stiffer shaft because it is lighter, much lower kick, and higher torque. So he would definately need a good x flex in that. If memory serves me correctly that was a 7.2 he used to play in the flighted Rifles? Most of us could stand a flex softer than him in pretty much everything, dont you think?

Now there are people who have fast tempo swings and put alot of load on the shaft that think they need a much stiffer club. That is true if you are playing a Fuji SIX with that swing. But if you are properly fitted you would have something closer to a Vista Tour 70 which you could play a full flex softer. So it is all relative to the shaft, but by in large more people are way too stiff than the other way around.

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

If a very good player with a solid swing is looking for controlled power, are they better going with a light shft they can control in an x flex or a heavier shaft in a stiffe flex. ( given a swing speed of 105)

Lot's of factors before making decision what is best.

A lot of tour players come to me and say "give me a fade shot and pay you anything you want".

A lot of tour players if you their swing and measure it doesn't seem fast enough for an X flex but they played and X because of certain shot they would like to have day in day out.

The key for those guy can hit a shaft that sometimes to stiff for them is because they are a pure hitter, they have a better control ( especially an aggressive swinger/quick tempo swinger ), but yet some player like Luke Donald who has a very smooth swinger and play by feel don't like it to stiff, eventhough his distance should have no problem handling an X flex by the book.

Aaron Oberholser set up is S400 sensicore hard step once and use all same shaft from 8, 9 and PW. Most of us gonna say " wow screw up set up ". NO NO! He played that set up since college years and that is what he is comfortable w/ and he will not gonna listen to what ever expert says, plus he proved it over the years that he is improving every day.

So some are feel players and don't care what the book says and some just hit what ever we told him to hit. So again calculating all factors and have a deep discussion in the mental side both clubmakers and players need to be in the same chemistry to understand each other needs and marry it w/ the expertise of the clubmakers to come up w/ the right decision and it may need several trials to get the right set up.

You won't believe what i do to just make them hit the ball better. I've done a few that i just shine the ferrule and polish the head and that players won the tournaments after that or brake course record.

When you are in that level of play, mental game is a pretty strong. A lot of time I have to watch out what i have to say.

Joe Kwok

Lot's of factors before making decision what is best.

So some are feel players and don't care what the book says and some just hit what ever we told him to hit. So again calculating all factors and have a deep discussion in the mental side both clubmakers and players need to be in the same chemistry to understand each other needs and marry it w/ the expertise of the clubmakers to come up w/ the right decision and it may need several trials to get the right set up.

You won't believe what i do to just make them hit the ball better. I've done a few that i just shine the ferrule and polish the head and that players won the tournaments after that or brake course record.

When you are in that level of play, mental game is a pretty strong. A lot of time I have to watch out what i have to say.

Joe Kwok

EXACTLY!!! This is precisely the difference between a clubmaker and a salesman. I spit Diet Dr Pepper (elixer of the gods!) onto my keyboard whenever 1) somebody makes a funny in chat, 2) somebody tries to sell a $1000 shaft on the premise that everybody can benefit by using it (or whatever said salesman has a surplus of at the time). :crazy2:

There are so many shafts with unique profiles out on the market now, that it is damned-near impossible to navigate all of them to find exactly what you need without the help of an expert. The above-mentioned example of the SE80 is a perfect example. That shaft is not meant to be played by someone with a smooth tempo, more fluid swing no matter how fast. Torque resistance is not the only thing operating on that shaft. Conversely, the SC75 series is more torque resistant than the 757, but is still a much smoother shaft.

So the moral of the story is "Drink Diet Dr Pepper!!!" ;)

beruo

btw--kemau, feel free to delete your post if you want--considering that they are not your words, but do refrain from linking posts from other sites. danka much.

:hi: