sdbui2000

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not in the 10+ category, i am a 5.1

but i golf with alot of ppl who are in your exact range. they play:

Drivers: Nike SQ, Ping G5, Callaway FT3, pretty much anything 460cc for maximum forgiveness.

Irons: Big Berthas, Slingshots, NDS, R7 CGB, Rac OS, X-18, Basically anything with a high ball flight and very forgiving.

Currently 11.4 index with 12.2 trend (missing everything I stand over lately). See my WITB below. I am ALL ABOUT FORGIVENESS as you can see by my weapons. I highly recommend all of my clubs to help you with the imperfect pass. There are so many great brands out there now you just need to go to demo days & get fitted for a nice set.

Callaway Great Big Bertha  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Callaway Big Bertha 7 - AW  TT Elevate 

Ping Glide 54*
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I was a 12 last summer and am now a 9.1. My signature has my sticks.

I play with a group of 5 or 6 guys who range from 14-4 and here is a breakdown of our clubs:

The 4 has just updated his bag, he is now playing Ping I5s, new Titleist driver (not sure if it is R or T), Callaway Heavenwood 4+, new G5 hybrid, TM wedges and a Crazy putter.

Our 7 plays a combo iron set Callaway VFT 3-6, McGregor blades through PW, Cleavland wedges, and an Odessey answer style putter.

Our other 9 plays Callaway x-18s, volkey wedges, BB 3 wood, a 454 driver, and a YES! Callie

Our 11 who is dropping like a stone plays I3 blades, cleavland wedges, and old TM Burner rescue that he is money with, an Olimier (sp?) driver, and a 2-ball Odessey.

Hope this helps.

19.1 - putting and short game are my down fall.

drivers i've had great success with: nike ignite 410 w/ aldila nv-75, nike sq max w/ v2-65, nike sq tour w/ aldila nv-75, titliest 905s w/ speeder, taylormade r5 neutral w/ aldila nv-75

irons i've had great success with: nike pro combos and mizuno mp-60 (higher trajectory than i like though) and mp-32

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I honestly think you should buy your equipment based on how much you play, and how much you want to practice. If you are newer to golf, but really getting into it, and can play or proactice 4 times or more a week I would choose a club with less offset. A nice players cavity, or blade if you really want to work learn.

KZG is a good but affordable brand, or if you have the money go for an oem players cavity.

If you want to stay about the same 10 handicap, and be a recreation 20 or less rounds a year guy, I would look at the super game improvement clubs that correct any swing. Like the callaway fusion (the new ones that are super big) or maybe like a ping g2, or any croocked stick you can hit pretty good as is.

If you are playing a lot, and are planning to play a lot, choose a club that will make you do the work, that way you can learn from your mistakes, you can learn how to hit the ball in the center most of the time.

Just my thoughts, I know I will probably get flamed, but hoenstly you will notice that once you have a good swing the game improvement clubs will be harder for you to hit. I have played golf for 24 years, and I find that the more I play the less I know. Golf is still something I learn from everyday.

Scott

I'm +/- 18 (started playing last August) and just upgraded my bag:

Ping I3+ irons, generic 4 hybrid, beginer's Wilson 5 wood, PW, SW, and putter (soon to be upgraded, leftover from last setup), Orlimar GW, no-name LW, Snake Eyes 600T 3 wood, McGrefor Eye-o-matic M42 driver.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

so im a 12.... looking for single digit by the summers end.

Atm I have a 905R with a stiff V2, and Hogan edge cfts in steel, also stiff.

Looking for an iron upgrade in the near future to more of a players iron.

Hogan wedges, which will be mroe forgiving vokeys very soon

Titleist 904F with steel shafts. (thinking about V2 soon tho)

I'm about 12-15 and I play the following:

Innovex CfD Driver 10* Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 44" R Flex

Cally BB 06 Stock Fuji Shafts R Flex

Very easy to hit. ;)

Driver - Cleveland Launcher Turbo 10.5* Miyazaki 5R
Hybrid - Cleveland Halo #2 16* Miyazaki 6R
Irons - Cleveland CBX 4-PW Miyazaki 6R
Wedges - Cleveland CBX 50* & 54* Rotex
Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado
Ball - Srixon Z-Star

Currently a 19.3 and I play a TM R510TP for my driver and Adams Idea irons with a few halo's sprinkled in for the low irons. Yes I need to adjust my sig....

I have tried the 460cc drivers but they just don't work for me, too inconsistant for some reasona nd it feels like the head is too big causing it to wander a bit too much for my liking. The R510TP iw working very well for me right now.

I'm a bit of an anomaly. I am a 10+, but hit a draw. Game improvement clubs just don't work for me, because I need minimal offset. I hit just as well or badly with nearly any iron, so I figure I should at least use the best feeling set out there.

My biggest problem is approach shots. I rarely stick it close. This puts a lot of pressure on me to 'two putt'. I lose strokes on the green, but it's really do to my poor approaches and greenside play. I really need to learn how to hit distances between 30 and 100 yards.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I really need to learn how to hit distances between 30 and 100 yards.

Don't know if this will help you but it's certainly helped me with approach shots. I try to eliminate any lower body movement in the swing on shots that are 80 yards or less. That has made a huge difference in GIR's for me. Hope it can help you also.

I really need to learn how to hit distances between 30 and 100 yards.

Don't know if this will help you but it's certainly helped me with approach shots. I try to eliminate any lower body movement in the swing on shots that are 80 yards or less. That has made a huge difference in GIR's for me. Hope it can help you also.

Thanks for the tip Placebo. I'll try that.

Right now, I may hit the green, but not near the hole.

"I might be dancin', but I'm near the fat chicks" ;)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I honestly think you should buy your equipment based on how much you play, and how much you want to practice. If you are newer to golf, but really getting into it, and can play or proactice 4 times or more a week I would choose a club with less offset. A nice players cavity, or blade if you really want to work learn.

KZG is a good but affordable brand, or if you have the money go for an oem players cavity.

If you want to stay about the same 10 handicap, and be a recreation 20 or less rounds a year guy, I would look at the super game improvement clubs that correct any swing. Like the callaway fusion (the new ones that are super big) or maybe like a ping g2, or any croocked stick you can hit pretty good as is.

If you are playing a lot, and are planning to play a lot, choose a club that will make you do the work, that way you can learn from your mistakes, you can learn how to hit the ball in the center most of the time.

Just my thoughts, I know I will probably get flamed, but hoenstly you will notice that once you have a good swing the game improvement clubs will be harder for you to hit. I have played golf for 24 years, and I find that the more I play the less I know. Golf is still something I learn from everyday.

Scott

I believe in what Scott says.

I am currently a 14.1 (european) and I have thus far played Big Bertha irons. I bought a 6iron blade and I found I had no difficulty hitting the ball high and did not notice that they were much harder to play for me (other players who tested this club had more problems, but I think it had more to do with the clubs weight). I actually felt it made some type of shots easier (i.e. knockdown and around the green). I just bought a set of blades (thanks titleistpro2) and I will see how it goes. I will report how it went once I had some playtime with them.

Best wishes!

Not sure why we are asking which driver and irons, we probably need to ask which wedges and maybe which putter since we have such high handicaps ;) At least for me, I lose most of my strokes within 130 yards.

But since you asked, r7 460 driver (haven't played it yet but demoed one and it is as forgiving as any driver I've ever hit) and Eye2 irons.

Wedges Eye2 W and Eye2+ SW, SC ACIII putter.

Sportin' an 18.2 GHIN.

i am a 14 and my clubs are in the signature. i would be close to single digits if i can get my putts per green in regulation down. i play semi player's cb in the irons i hit well 6-pw and super game inprovement iron in 3-5. the j33r is the first 460cc driver that fits my eye, all others look too big.

Titleist TSr2 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50 Stiff, Taylormade 300 13.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff, Taylormade Stealth Plus 5W Project X Evenflow Red 6.0, Callaway Apex DCB 4-GW Steelfiber i110cw Stiff, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54* & 60*, Cobra King Grandsport 35", Maxfli Tour

I'm somewhere in the mid teens and I love my Launcher Comp - as long and forgiving as anything I've tried, and my MX-23 irons - not quite as forgiving as Big Bertha's and other similar GI clubs but still forgiving enough to play on my worst ball striking days plus they let me enjoy the soft forged feel that so many low 'cappers rave about.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

Let's call me a 15 here and the sticks are in the signature. Problems are more short game than anything, I stopped losing balls when I started paying $40+ per dozen. :crazy2: As everybody else is giving their excuses . . . ;)

My problem is that I don't take my game that seriously, when I'm actively practicing I get closer to a 10, then I think I'm good and pull out my KZG combo set, then the scores go up. Rotating putters hasn't helped either, but I'm starting to settle there as well. I'm also in the process of testing some stuff, so that takes out some consistency. But BS aside,

The only thing I can offer is that play whatever it is you enjoy. If you like to hit high-flying, bombing iron shots that you don't deserve with a half-practiced swing, go as forgiving as your eyes can handle. If you'd rather focus on improvement and only be rewarded for execution, go blades. But when it comes down to it all golf requires are goofy pants and a fat Word not allowed. You should talk to my neighbor the accountant. Probably a great golfer. Huge Word not allowed. :crazy:

beruo

:hi:

14.something - problem is having two kids under 3 and being a lawyer. The kids part I love - the lawyer part not so much. Full swing is as good as it's gonna get right now, so I am switching over to short game only practice. Same switch caused a multi-stroke drop 2-3 years ago.

Ping G5, NV-65 stiff at 45" D-2 w/ 2 strips of lead on back of head (best driver I've ever had, though I wish I'd gone with a little heavier/lower torque shaft)

Sonartec SS 2.5 4 wood (17*) stock stiff Fuji Tour Platform 26.3 (could go with a heavier shaft there too)

Nickent Genex 3dx Ironwood at 20.5* or 21* (can't recall) w/ iRod stiff

Srixon i-506 4-PW S300. Love 'em

Cleveland 588 RTG 51* and 56*, gunmetal 60*. Never found anything I like more than 588's

Laguna 2.5 at 35", about to be replaced by T.P. Mills carbon SoftTail at 35" (beautiful piece of work).

After years of being conservative and acquiring "r" flex clubs I finally got on a launch monitor this winter and discovered, among other things, that i really do need stiff in woods and irons. Bag was a mix of "S" in woods and "R" in irons before. Going to S300 in the irons has made a world of difference.