2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

300+ yard carry

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

taylormadefan Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Under perfectly ideal conditions with a conforming driver, I believe it's 2.2 yards per mph clubhead speed.

So something around 136-137 mph!

I know you are usually a fountain of knowledge so I hate to disagree but, 2.2 per MPH can't add up. That would mean the average tour pro who swings at 110 (Not my figure, it came from the Mizuno Rep when I worked at a golf store) would only carry the ball about 242 yards. I swing at about 105-110 and carry the ball further than that (granted it is not a huge amount further but, it is further). I have a lazer and several bunkers to carry on my local course. I can't be that far off can I?

taylormadefan Posted Today, 11:15 AM

Under perfectly ideal conditions with a conforming driver, I believe it's 2.2 yards per mph clubhead speed.

So something around 136-137 mph!

I know you are usually a fountain of knowledge so I hate to disagree but, 2.2 per MPH can't add up. That would mean the average tour pro who swings at 110 (Not my figure, it came from the Mizuno Rep when I worked at a golf store) would only carry the ball about 242 yards. I swing at about 105-110 and carry the ball further than that (granted it is not a huge amount further but, it is further). I have a lazer and several bunkers to carry on my local course. I can't be that far off can I?

No problem at all, disagree whenever you feel necessary. No one is infallable and I expect all you guys to keep me in line anytime I slip up. ;)

The number I am positive of is that 1.5X swing speed = ball speed. I don't know exactly how ball speed translates into yards of carry, so if anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be grateful. I'm almost positive it's in teh 2.2-2.6 range though.

I checked the golf digest site for tour players swing sequences and found a few numbers for carry. Now keep in mind these are coming from a magazine and aren't some scientific measurement, but if you average the carry to swing speed ratio for Reteif Goosen, Mu Hu and Ryan Moore you get 2.36 yards per mph of swing speed. For ball speed (based on the same golfers) the ratio is 1.64 yards per mph of ball speed. Note that the smash factors I computed for these guys averaged out to about 1.44 so if you assume the ball speed is the more reliable number and smash factor is closer to 1.5 for a tour pro (or extremely skilled golfer in Mu Hu's case) the ratio for carry to swing speed would be a bit higher. I tested these numbers against my own launch conditions and found the ratios to be quite accurate.

Ok, so now that you are done reading that ramble the amount of swing speed needed to carry it 300 yds based on my calculations is somewhere between 124 and 126 with ball speed being about 185 or so. So I guess all this just confims that 125+ is a good rule of thumb. Good call by FSUbomber.

recently got on a launch monitor with a nike rep and my ave. ball speed was like 178mph. my swing speed is in the high 1-teens to low 120's when i really go after it. my carry distance during the launch monitor session was between 290 and 315. take from this what you may, just throught id give you guys some of my #'s for comparison.

;)

don't forget launch angle and spin rate have a lot to do with flight profile.

As we all know the dimples on the golf ball keep in the air for longer than it would with a smooth ball. So given a certain launch angle the ball flight wouldn't be simply parabolic.

the people to consult on this would be simulator manufactures or operators. These machines give a distance output based on launch conditions.

you need a 177 mph ball speed to carry the golf ball 300 yards. two people with the same clubhead speed can hit the ball a different distance. because smash factor plays a role in the energy transfer into the ball and ressulting in different ball speeds. take jb holmes and bubba watson both have similar swing speeds but bubba has a higher smash factor resulting in higher ball speed. both have plenty of ball speed though

If your swing speed is really that fast, and we assume that part of the launch monitor is correct, then your launch angle and spin rates are very high and ballspeed very low to be producing those numbers. Now granted you are at 1k above sea level thus making it easier to hit farther but at 126 youd want to be btwn. 13 and 15* launch and 1800-2500 rpms, and really want to keep it under 3000 from my understanding and time with vector analysis. If you can keep the launch angle up at 18* lower the spin rate to about 2k rpms, and raise the efficiency with which you hit the ball, you can hit retardedly long yardages. My advice based on those numbers, is swing less out of your shoes. There is only one reason I can see for having a smash factor of 1.35 (ideal being about 1.5) is that you are not making solid contact. Slow the swing down a little, or the tempo down a little, the numbers aren't meant to impress anyone, keep that in mind when swinging. If you can slow your tempo a bit or slow the swing so that your not absolutely maxing out and then some (which your numbers would suggest from your clearly less than ideal number, no offense they're just literally statistically less than ideal). I wouldn't be surprised if your swingspeed only dropped a few miles an hour but your ballspeed went up and your launch and spin came down bc your no longer coming in so steep to try to smash the cover off of the ball. This is just my advice so take it for what its worth but you may be pleasantly surprised.

P.S. based on the ratio of ballspeed to distance, assuming ideal spin rates etc. which those are not for a swingspeed that fast, you should only be hitting it 270, figure 1k feet above about 290 at most. I would say that there is a good chance that the vector is set way off.

My most recent club fitting came out at a club head speed of 104MPH and a carry distance of 247 yards. That comes out at distance = (2.375 * swing speed). Assuming this is correct in order to hit the ball 300 yards on the fly you would need a swing speed of 126.3MPH. Hope this is of assistance.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

when hit purely, clubhead speed ay around 118 should get you to 300 carry, when i was on vector a while back i was clocked at 129mph, carry of 359 with a deflection to the right of 57 yards, which if hit straight and takeing half of 57 would give me a distance of 387, (had a bad cold that day), you need a swing speed of 140 to hit it 400. so around 118 with ball speed at 165mph, launch angle at 13 degrees should get you there. dont forget spin rate, it should be around 1900-2100 rpm's anything else higher would ballon upwards.

ok on a vecto i went on i think it was broke, cuz it was at my elevation which is like 1000ft and 75* and my ss was 122

ball speed 165

carry was 290-305

launch was 18*

and spin was 3500-4500

What is the loft of your driver, and what shaft due you play? With a 122 ss, you should be well above your carry distance. Spin is way to high, lauch is high as well. You will lose a lot of distance with that spin. Not to much of a problem to fix with the right head and shaft.