2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Hogan's 5 Lessons

Do his theories still hold true!?!?
I bought the book this week and have been trying to apply some of his techniques on the range and was wondering if these techniques are still regarded as the correct or a good way to go about hitting a golf ball.

The grip I got on well with simply because it was very similar to the way I held the club anyway.

The general posture was fine and comfortable, again not feeling any different to what I did anyway (the things I already did could have something to do with the old pro at our club loving Hogan!?!? ;o))

Arms, shoulders, hips on the backswing, opposite on the downswing, swing plane etc etc all fine but there's 2 things that don't feel quite right (I know theoretically golf isn't supposed to but...)

The stance, with regard to the positioning of the feet (right foot square, left foot turned slightly towards the target line). Is this how many / any of the pros address the ball!?!?

From the top of the backswing he states that after turning the hip back to the left he then concentrated on hitting the ball ("hard"!?!?) with his shoulders, arms ("both"!?!?) and hands!?!? I thought we were meant to be swinging the club and the ball was getting in the way, not hitting at the ball!?!? and I thought the wrists were meant to be kept loose to aid the squaring of the club face and a quick release!?!? And that's without worrying about hitting it hard and how my right hand is going to spoil the whole thing!?!?

Don't get me wrong I can hit the ball, I'm not and don't profess to be a golfing legend, but I'm pretty sure if I work hard enough this summer I could be low teens / single figure hcp...so am I doing these things in some part already without really knowing it or what!?!? I'm sure my video lesson tomorrow will reveal exactly what I am and not doing but I was under the impression that an easy swing was the way to go and hands released naturally, not hit at the ball and certainly not with the right one?!?!?

In a roundabout way I think this all relates back to my what to feel during the golf swing thread, only now I've been told exactly what to feel / do, I want to make sure I'm going the right way!?!?

I'm also interested to know how anyone else got on with these techniques or if they have found other / better sources!?!?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter Kostis did a piece last weekend comparing Nelson and Hogan. Also comparing Hogan both pre and post swing changes, where Ben wanted to eliminate the left side miss.

He compared Hogan's development of 'The Modern Swing' to the swing changes that Tiger has made most recently too, and how strikingly similar they now are.

Hogan invented terms such as Swing Plane and Supination. He's techniques are very relevant today. ;)

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Can't say for sure, but I think the right foot square, left foot turned toward the target is pretty standard. However, there are a few points in the book that are presented as 'fundamentals' but when he wrote the book he was fighting a hook...for instance: I THINK the grip he presents MIGHT be considered a 'weak' grip (which keeps the ball from going left, alluded to above).

If I remember correctly, he liked to think that his arms were bound together in a way. Keeping your forearms close throughout the swing is a feeling he tried to illustrate. In this way, the shoulders, arms, and hands are all working together as one unit. That might be the part you're asking about? I wouldn't get bogged down in the specific language of the book. It's good but not perfect.

Last year I read a book about Hogan: Afternoons with Mr. Hogan (written by the dude who shagged balls for him after he retired). Apparently Ben hated giving people lessons...and when asked for advice he would reply something like: "Go hit 10,000 golf balls"

I can learn well from books. If you can, you've got the absolute best, in my opinion. Happy reading, and get thee to a range.

He compared Hogan's development of 'The Modern Swing' to the swing changes that Tiger has made most recently too, and how strikingly similar they now are.

;)

I agree. The interesting similarity between Tiger in Hogan is the leg problems that both faced. Although, Hogan's were far more severe than Tigers, Hogan's changes seemed to be little less stressfull on his legs. Given Tigers knee surgery, his recent changes should be easier on his left side as a whole than the Harmon swing. Proof of this lies in the multitude of left side surgeries Greg Norman had. The Harmon swing, although a thing of beauty, just looks like it places so much stress on the left side of the body. I remember Golf Digest asking a number of major golfers about Tiger when he was beginning his meteoric rise to the top. Everybody said the PC thing, except Lee Trevino. He said if Tiger were continue to at the pace he was on, he would blow out his knee or back.

That said, I think Hogan's lessons are still relevant today. His book was the first golf information I read when I was fourteen. Little things he said in the book work with some of the newer swing theory. He spoke about keeping his right foot perpindicular to the target line. This seems like it would limit hip turn and aid in the pursuit of the X factor. I still think the best thing that anybody ever did for my game was getting me Hogan's book. A coworker of my mom's gave me the book and told me read the chapters about the grip and posture over and over. I believe those chapter made me a much better player in a much shorter time.

By the way, if anybody gets a chance to visit Colonial in Fort Worth, check out the Hogan room that they have. It is one of the coolest things to see. They have a number of his clubs there. What they say about the wear marks is spot on.

By the way, if anybody gets a chance to visit Colonial in Fort Worth, check out the Hogan room that they have. It is one of the coolest things to see. They have a number of his clubs there. What they say about the wear marks is spot on.

I've seen The Hogan Room at the USGA center near my house. Unbelievable stuff. You cannot believe the size of the blades he used. The wear spots. The lack of forgiveness. Just ridiculous!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

You guys need to read David Leadbetter's book, The Fundamentals of Hogan that disects Hogan's Modern Fundamentals of Golf. It's a great piece and compares Hogan's fundamentals to what his swing really looked like. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/038550210...glance&n=283155

The stance with one foot square and the other open is not true. Look at some old pictures of Hogan and you will see that he flared both feet out at address unlike what he spoke of in his 5 lessons.

The stance with one foot square and the other open is not true. Look at some old pictures of Hogan and you will see that he flared both feet out at address unlike what he spoke of in his 5 lessons.

Interesting, can you elaborate more? I've never been a fan of Leadbetter's, but I'm a HUGE Hogan fan. Did Leadbetter say that Hogan's swing in actual life was different than what he wrote about?

Hogan did change his swing several times, and it's pretty well known that depending on the shot, stance, and lie, players often adopt different "fundamentals" Take a look at Fred Couples around the greens, almost a weak grip, a 90* departure from his uber-strong full swing grip. Of course Hogan did have several secrets that he supposedly took to the grave with him. Perhaps the flared right foot is another one of them.

Here are some rather famous pics I found, Hogan's back foot looks pretty square to me:

I really like this thread, Hogan might be teh most analyzed swing in all of golf history. ;)

Interesting, can you elaborate more? I've never been a fan of Leadbetter's, but I'm a HUGE Hogan fan. Did Leadbetter say that Hogan's swing in actual life was different than what he wrote about?

Hogan did change his swing several times, and it's pretty well known that depending on the shot, stance, and lie, players often adopt different "fundamentals" Take a look at Fred Couples around the greens, almost a weak grip, a 90* departure from his uber-strong full swing grip. Of course Hogan did have several secrets that he supposedly took to the grave with him. Perhaps the flared right foot is another one of them.

Here are some rather famous pics I found, Hogan's back foot looks pretty square to me:

I really like this thread, Hogan might be teh most analyzed swing in all of golf history. ;)

I remember one exerpt from the book pointing this out, that he flared both feet towards the outside maybe not all the time, but he did do this.

Leadbetter also points out how the arms were to look as though they were bound together, but not in the way that Hogan mentioned in 5 Lessons. Also on the arms, the crease made between the upper and lower arm pointed straight upwards according to BH, but DL points this out as well with the actual photos.

The Leadbetter book has photos that didn't make the 5 lessons book as well as the actual photos that the pencil drawings were made of. It's a great book and I am no real big fan of Leadbetter either. I just bought it for the Hogan aspects and rare ,to me, photos.