Looking at some more forgiving irons....help!

FATC1TY

AP2? R9 TP's? A4's? Anything?
Okay.. So I'm playing alot more, and I have a nice stable of "player" irons. I shoot high 80's, generally because I have a short game like a blind man, and I putt like one too. ;) But, I could also use some forgiveness in my irons.. Or atleast I think I should give it a shot!! :)

I have some 2005 Tm TP CB's that are decently gentle on my bad days. My Scratch SB-1's are real forgiving, but I have an urge to try something real GI. And then I have some TM Smoke MB's that just wear me out on the bad days. I'm thinking of selling or trading the Smoke MB's and getting something GI to try out. Or selling the CB's and doing the same. I hit the SB-1's better than anything, ever.

I can't stand a ton of offset, but some would be fine, more so if it was just in the 3-5 irons at most. I like a thinnish top line, but knowing I want something GI, I know I won't find the blade look, which I'll get over.

So I'm looking at possibly the AP2's... I don't mind the looks, and I like the more traditional lofts, as I haven't used anything with the juiced lofts they offer these days.

But then I like the R9's.. They feel pretty good for a cast club, and I've only ever used forged, so I have no basis for comparison. I like the TP's because of the KBS Tours which I love, and I like the slightly thinner sole.

Are the TP's really less forgiving than the regular R9's? I could hit the R9TP's and be happy I think.. But want other suggestions that I might have missed.

So what's something I should look into? My miss is usually fat, I hit the ball high enough, so something really high I want to avoid. I'm a high spin player too. I want the soft feel of forged, or close as I can get, but I want forgiving if I'm not pounding the sweet spot.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest Mizuno MX-300's.

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 9* with Oban Isawa 55
Callaway Rogue ST LS 3hl and 5-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai smoke TD 7-wood with Aldila NVS
Callaway Ai Smoke 5h with Project X Cypher
Callaway Apex Pro  6-AW irons with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 52 with Nippon Modus 105
Callaway Jaws Raw 56 with Nippon Modus 105
Toulon LeMans or Ai Mini Jailbird

makes for several page of replies, but it's really subjective and there's no right answer.

taylormade tour preferred
Ping i15

i'd say they are worth a look at.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

The TP's are not less forgiving then the regular R9 irons. The Burners have offset but once you get used to the distances they are a great set. They also can have the KBS shaft or Project X which will help with feel. A dark horse club that I love is the R7 irons, give these a look.

TM M6 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S Velocore 
TM GAPR Hi 3 KBS C-Taper Lite
TM 2011 Tour Issue MC 4-PW KBS Tour 120
TM MG2 Nickel 50 and 54 KBS Tour 120

TM MG2 Raw 58 KBS Tour 120
TM Black Copper Soto TP Collection 34in
TM TP5X balls Yellow/Pix

[quote name='golfpros1' date='28 March 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1269804402' post='2346178']
makes for several page of replies, but it's really subjective and there's no right answer.

taylormade tour preferred
Ping i15

i'd say they are worth a look at.
[/quote]

Oh, I know it's very personal and subjective to whatever everyone likes.. I'm curious if anyone on the models is a clear cut winner.

I'm liking the TM Tour Preferreds as well. I like those better than the R9's... Are they pretty forgiving?

Thanks for the replies guys.. I'm not looking for something completely GI.. I just want something that won't destroy me on my days when I'm hitting off the toe or taking them a bit chunky.

I'm leaning towards trying to find a set of TM TP's... I like the look at address, and the cavity and weighting would help me with what I'm looking for.

I just finished my search. I was open to just about anything. In the end I went with the Adams a7. I'm very impressed with these clubs. They look great at address with a small amount of offset. A top line that is thin but but a butter knive. What sold me was the sole, they go through the turf so eazy. They aren't magic but offer sone forgiveness. I've always played cast, these are a good as it gets and the feed back is there. I never owned a Adams product until now.

If you're looking for new I'd take a look at the Adams CB2's. Look pretty close to the A4's, with a black finish and can be purchased with the KBS shafts if you like those. The A4's are pretty forgiving(I play them to about a 10 handi) they've got that 4 way cambered sole to help fat shot not be so fat...also a rounded leading edge to stop the excessive digging as well. And lastly they're Forged so they've got that feel that you're looking for. Adams makes nice stuff these days, so you might want to take a look at them before you decide.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='29 March 2010 - 12:08 PM' timestamp='1269889696' post='2348449']
Thanks for the replies guys.. I'm not looking for something completely GI.. I just want something that won't destroy me on my days when I'm hitting off the toe or taking them a bit chunky.

I'm leaning towards trying to find a set of TM TP's... I like the look at address, and the cavity and weighting would help me with what I'm looking for.
[/quote]

You originally said you wanted something REAL GI...... LOL

TPs are good. But if you're going in that direction, then look at the Mizzy MX-300. Has much better feel, I think. Looks better too.

The TM TP's are are not going to be any more forgiving than the TM CB's you already have. And they won't be more forgiving than the SB-1's, that you already have, and say you play well with.

Maybe you should hit a demo day, so you can try everything from a blade to a SGI, to see what you [b]really[/b] hit well.

I've been going through the same thing, as many others on this site. You are not alone. I've played everything from MP-14's to Callaway X-14's (not the Pro's). If I'm playing well, I want to play a "players" iron. Then, I have a bad round, and I need a SGI iron. Someone the other day said it best, fill your bag with clubs that help you on your worst days. Your scores will be better on any day.

I just picked up a set of Precept Tour Premium CB's, and shot 73 last week. Nice big cavity in the long irons with tungsten weights in the sole, progressing to a really small cavity, almost blade like, in the short irons. Sunday, I shot a 90. I can't wait for the local outside demo days.

Good luck.

you might want to consider [url="http://www.carlsgolfland.com/shop/WILSON-STAFF-MENS-CI7-IRONS-p-24226.html"]a set of Wilson Staff Ci7's[/url]. they got excellent reviews from Golf magazine's testers and Paddy Harrington used a set of these to win his 2nd Open. from all the reviews they seem to be a good combination of forgiveness and workability. they're quite handsome as well, imho.

[quote name='bigbullym' date='28 March 2010 - 07:53 PM' timestamp='1269820435' post='2346721']
I wouldn't overlook the regular r9's with kbs tour.
[/quote]

+1

They are working great for me through 3 rounds. I hope the love continues :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

... The real problem is the amount of very good GI irons available. I have always played forged blades or forged players cb's, but I am moving to the AP2's this year. The R9 tp's did not feel as good as the AP2's. The Bridgestone J38 dual pc's were also a consideration, with a longer blade and plenty of forgiveness. It usually comes down to a personal preference.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

[quote name='EddieC' date='30 March 2010 - 07:23 AM' timestamp='1269948212' post='2349703']
If you're looking for new I'd take a look at the Adams CB2's. Look pretty close to the A4's, with a black finish and can be purchased with the KBS shafts if you like those. The A4's are pretty forgiving(I play them to about a 10 handi) they've got that 4 way cambered sole to help fat shot not be so fat...also a rounded leading edge to stop the excessive digging as well. And lastly they're Forged so they've got that feel that you're looking for. Adams makes nice stuff these days, so you might want to take a look at them before you decide.
[/quote]
+1 Adams A4's are a great combination of feel and forgiveness, and can be found relatively cheap with the release of the A7, which I demoed and didn't like nearly as much as the A4.

CALLAWAY GBB EPIC SUBZERO 9* OBAN KIYOSHI PURPLE

07 BURNER TP 17.5* MATRIX CODE 8
ADAMS PRO GOLD 3H TOUR ISSUE NV 85
COBRA KING FORGED 5-GW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 56* RAW KBS TOUR V
CALLAWAY MD3 FORDED 60* RAW KBS TOUR V
TOULON MILLED COLUMBUS CAMERON BLACK MATADOR MID
TAYLORMADE TP5X
CALLAWAY APEX UT 21* RECOIL 110 DEPENDING ON CONDITIONS

I have the AP2's they are a great fit for me, they offer me plenty of forgiveness, feel great and inspire confidence when I look down on them. My last irons were Taylormade TP's which I never really got on with and the Diablo forged which were easy to hit, super long but didn't offer me the control I was looking for.

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix

The Callaway X-Tours I think are worth a look, along with the Mizuno MX300, both mentioned above somewhere. I've never hit the new Diablos, but the reviews look good. The Adams A4 I've always been curious about, but I don't see those being much more forgiving than your 2005 RACs.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

The a4s are a great iron; even greater now that the price is coming down.

I picked up a set last week. They look great, they have a thin top line and they feel very comfortable. I was playing Hogan Apex
Edges before and they feel just as great, though the shafts are a tad longer.

They're very forgiving in the sense that miss hits always go straight. Hitting with the toe gives a ton of feedback and the ball doesn't do much.

I need to have the lie angle bent as my lie is off about +2.0 degrees (which is causing me to toe more often). A flatter swing helps the lie angle a bit and they perform exceptionally.

The set also comes with a 3 and 4 hybrid. They look kind of goofy, but I tested the 4 hybrid out last night and it is God-sent. I was
giggling because it was so easy.

Well.. I'm still looking. Selling the 05 CB's to a buddy, and ironically I've been striking the ball well. Last 3 rounds have been mid 80's.. I guess I need to find a damn SGI putter!!!

I've really been looking at the A4's.. But those CB2's are pretty hot. I like the grind on those things, and the stock KBS Tour shaft option... Might be worth a demo.

Thanks for the input fellas.. Helps to have some ideas of where to start..