how is the new gear stacking up outside?

MtlJeff

(applies to northern ho's mostly)
Anyone buy anything over the winter and finally get to use it outside?

Played my first couple of rounds this year (finally!). I have changed almost everything in my bag since the end of last season.

biggest surprises:
-My G15 irons fly much higher than they seemed to indoors, not too high, in fact it's perfect since i'm a low ball hitter. But still i was surprised, this could work for me...i landed 5 and 6 irons very softly. Also the ground was rock hard and the wide soles still were great.
-My new driver combo, G15 with aldila NV (pink version!!!) is stupidly long. In to a monitor i hit it the same distance as my FT9 whiteboard...but not outside, outside the G15 demolished it (demolished it). I had 2 of the longest drives i've ever hit and it sounds better too.
-I'm in love with my new putter, stepped onto the practice green and drained my first 7-8 putts. Then on the 10th hole sunk a 20 footer for eagle. LOVE my putter!

anyone else got stories/comments?

Cobra Radspeed XB 9 w/PX Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black 80

Cobra F9 tour 13 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 70

Titleist TS3 20 w/PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 80

Cobra Forged TEC 4-GW w/Nippon Modus Tour 130

Cobra King MIM Black 56 and 60 w/ Modus Tour 130

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could try out my new gear! Just had shoulder surgery last week, so I will not get to try out my new putter and sand wedge until July or August. This SUCKS!!!!!!

Touredge Exotics EXS Pro 9* Hzrdus Smoke yellow 6.5 60
Touredge Exotics CBX 119 15* Hzrdus smoke black 6.5 70
Touredge Exotics CBX 119 19* Motore Speeder TS 8.8HB

Touredge Exotics CBX 22* ironwood KuroKage 95 
Wilson C300 forged 5-GW  KBS C taper 130x
TM Milled grind 54*
TM High toe 58 atv grind
Bettinardi Inovai 5.0 CS,  Machine M2A converter & Bobby Grace AMG fat lady CS
TM TP5x

I have some new Maltby MMB's that i got super cheap on the bay. I hit them all winter in an indoor range and i loved them. I took them to an outdoor range about three weeks ago and Rut Roh. Not good, the X100's that were installed in there just killed my distance. I moved from DG S300 thinking I would like the lower trajectory. But I lost about 8 yards per club. So for the first few rounds I went back to my GI irons (also Maltby, I am a club [i]building[/i] ho) and everything went back to normal. I finally got around to pulling the X's and installed some commercial grade TT shafts and just took them out for a quick 9 (in 30MPH winds) The feel was still there (amazing I might add) and i got my distance back but, everything was left, left, left all day long. That was a function of my swing. NO ONE reading this has seen divots that went more left of target, It was sick!

I also put a FT-3 in the bag, 10* neutral and, because of my apparently huge Over the top move i hit some of the most ridiculous right turn slices i have hit in years. But, it did go far. Hopefully some time at the range will straighten out this swing flaw. As for the equipment Im pretty happy. Jury is still out on the nickent ARC wedges i just got. 27 holes and no feel for their distances just yet.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Ok Jeff Great topic. I posted a mini review a few weeks ago but I'll do another brief one:

G15 Driver Diamana - I put some balls where I have never seen. Best Driver I've ever owned.

909F2, 909H - Pretty solid so far - I've been pulling the 3 wood and hooking the hybrids but that's the swing and timing.

AP2 710s - Super Awesome. They seem to be 100x more forgiving than the VR Blades and Even the Splits I played last year.
I hit 3 iron off the tee over and over today. 225 and straight. I hit a 4 iron to a 210 pin 4 feet (And missed the putt!)
The short irons seem to be made for knock down shots (Am I the only one who hits knock downs almost as far as a full swing and they are 100x more accurate??)

Vokey SM - Dissapointing. Lacking the Spin of the Nike VR Wedges, Feel good and look good and distance control is great but went back to the Nike Wedges

Scotty Squareback 2 - I hate this putter. I'm going back to a blade just trying to figure out which one. I lost all confidence in it after 2 rounds. This killed my scores.

So thats it - same wood and wedges as last year, new driver and irons are great - looking for another putter.

TITLEIST TSI3 10 TOUR AD DI6

TITLEIST TSI2 15 TOUR AD DI7

SRIXON ZX7 3-PW MODUS 120

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

I'm a couple of hours away from you and today the weather was so nice that I gave up waiting for any of my buddies to free themselves up for a round. I finally got to try out the MX-200s that I picked up in February. I was pretty nervous since I made a huge change in shafts - PX flighted 6.0 in my X-20 Tours to Dynalite Gold XR in regular to gain distance and, more importantly, height. From the few times I tried them at the range I wasn't certain how well I'd be able to aim them, but I did get the height I was looking for. Well, the fairways at the course were pretty soggy so I definitely appreciated the soles of the MX200s. I was having a few issues with my Vokey's submarining, but even when I hit my irons fat they somehow managed to bounce their way out of the mud. I did have a stronger draw than usual, but since that was true for all of my clubs I'm hoping that this is something I can work out with some time at the range. That strong draw was actually helpful in at least one case where I was trying to play it safe and aimed for the centre of the green, but ended up drawing it to 3 feet from the flag. Although my playing had all of the signs of a winter off, I still ended up scoring well so I have to wonder what the rest of the season will hold.

Just got out in the last couple of weeks with my Tour Burner/Proforce V2 Driver combo that I bought late last November, the Scotty Cameron Pro Plat my GF bought for me last Christmas and the 07 Burner Hybrid I bought for 30 bucks last February. I also bought new irons in mid march (300 forged's), and an R9 3 wood last week, but I was able to get out with them right away I guess, so they probably don't count. ;)

I basically changed over everything but my wedges from last year. At first I was pretty reluctant to change anything, but my Tour Burners were just not there feel wise, and the shafts were graphite, which I bought when I hurt my shoulder. They just got in my head and for some reason I couldn't confidently look down and fire, just couldn't. I would sway, dip my shoulder, I don't know what it was, but I had no tempo. I knew what I was doing but I couldn't stop. Anyway, I originally bought r7 tp heads to shaft, but while looking for a set of rifle pulls on eBay I came across 300 forged's on eBay and I had to have them. I figured, if I couldn't get the consistency I wanted out of them I'd at least be able to pull the shafts. So far, I'm really happy that I bought them. After a quick lie adjustment, they have been killer, and the feel is unreal. I'm unbelievably happy and grateful to the guy who sold them to me, he gave me a great deal and just in time. :)

The hybrid purchase was so I could get something with a little less offset then before (I had an r7 CGB MAX) and still feel comfortable, and the R9 was because the J33 I was hitting previously was launching way too low off the deck, and because I couldn't find something that I hit better, included said J33. It was perfect and I had the Tour Burners to trade in, so out the door I only paid 15 bucks. I probably could have just tried re-shafting first, but I just hit the thing too well. It's the first time I've ever felt like I could consider my 3 wood a "go to" club.

D - JDM SLDR 9* - Oban Kiyoshi
3W SLDR TP - Mitsubishi Blueboard
3h - Diablo Edge Tour - Fujikura Motore Tour Spec 9.8 HB
4-PW - TMAG Smoked TP MB - Rifle 6.0
50* - Nike Engage 
54* - Nike VR Forged
60* - Nike VR Forged
P - Naked Nike Origin B2|01

MtlJeff - good topic, you and kgeorge have me re-thinking G15 driver vs. my latest FT-iz fantasy. I tried the G15, stock regular flex 10.5* in a simulator and loved the forgivness but was only 2-3 yds better than my old 983K. Now I have visions of trying a G15 with an aftermarket shaft....Oban maybe??

My new G15 irons are fantastic. I'm a lttle west of you and my first few games were played on frozen ground (had to pound tees in the ground with my clubhead) but the irons were performing better than expected. Like you, I had perfect high, soft landing approaches that helped me record better scores than all of last season! I'm still trying to learn not to force them with my typical quick transition from the top because they flat out perform when I simply swing smoothly. I gained a full club in distance...maybe a little more and go for greens that had me laying up last year(s).

Now just waiting for delivery of my Sratch 8650 56* followed by the 50* model when Scratch has them available. Can't wait.

Had my Ping Anser (Titanium hosel) shortened an inch and put on a GP V-Rad Shock grip (Habs colours for us hockey fans) and the guys laughed until I started one putting from 10+ feet.

Lastly, how did you end up with the driver shaft you chose? Was it trial and error testing or did you have previous experience with Aldila NV?

Thanks for posting and best of luck this season!

For the shaft I knew I wanted the G15 and I was pretty sure I wanted the Blueboard. Golftown had the ping fitter in town a little while ago and my numbers were perfect.

No brainer for me.

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

OK, good to know. I'll sign up for a Ping fitting at GT this month. I just missed the last one!
The descriptions you guys stated, "Best driver I've ever owned" and of course "Demolished it" have me wiping up saliva off my keyboard. Any recommendations for a 95 SS with an aggressive move from the top?
I'm not trying to threadjack here so please forgive my selfish excitement...any help is appreciated! :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ian' date='04 April 2010 - 10:58 AM' timestamp='1270393087' post='2359726']
OK, good to know. I'll sign up for a Ping fitting at GT this month. I just missed the last one!
The descriptions you guys stated, "Best driver I've ever owned" and of course "Demolished it" have me wiping up saliva off my keyboard. Any recommendations for a 95 SS with an aggressive move from the top?
I'm not trying to threadjack here so please forgive my selfish excitement...any help is appreciated! :rolleyes:
[/quote]

i really thought about the Devotion aswell which you mentioned, but its a decent upcharge. The Axivcore red isnt much extra and is an amazing shaft. The serrano is like a poor mans blueboard but if youre going to play it at less than 45.75 inches, be sure to have Ping adjust the swingweight because it only comes in 60g

played again today and drove it very well. I play a pretty simple shaft (the NV) but it has always worked for me

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

i have a new 3 wood and driver that i bought late fall and this winter.the 3 wood is a mizuno mx700 and the driver is a nike dymo str8-fit,i have hit them into a net but never outside.but since i live in finland i have to wait a little longer,it's still snow on the ground but it's melting fast but it gets very wet when all the snow melts so it might be another month before i get to try them.

1. The iWedge is so easy to hit out of the bunker, it feels like I am cheating. On the downside, it is not as good as my X-Tour wedge was from the grass. I am mixing and matching my 56/60 wedges until I get the right setup.

2. R9 Driver - although not longer than" my FT-9, it feels and looks "right" to me and accuracy is up.

3. Bettinardi Putter - it is money.

[quote name='Ian' date='04 April 2010 - 10:58 AM' timestamp='1270393087' post='2359726']
[/quote]

For the first time in 3 years I'm not looking for another driver. THe Supertri caught my eye but I havent ordered one yet so so far so good!

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

re-tooled the whole bag pretty much, and headed out for my first time today...shot 73. was pleased.

FT Tour-been hitting it on the range, and hit 5/6 fairways on the front, but 1/6 on the back....i am gonna pop my Fubuki in it tomorrow, the voodoo seems to spin a bit too much into the wind and such.

909f2- love this club just like i loved my 906f4...ditched my r9 from last yr for this and won't look back.

Pro Black hybrid - what can i say? made my first eagle of the year on my second hole of the day. this baby is workable, and i don't see what the fuss is about it being not forgiving, feels fine to me?

PVD pro gold irons w/ kbs black nickel - love em. still a couple weird shots, and a little bit more testing before they can kick out the 07 x-forged that ive been gaming for three years, but can't complain much here.

Red X3 - picked this up on a whim, also just ordered one of the new Lagunas which will probably take the spot in my bag but we'll see. no complaints here, but also no raving reviews of it. a scotty is a scotty is a scotty.

overall, was pleased to finally get out and enjoy these clubs, as i'd been salivating on the black-on-black look of the irons for weeks.

Titleist 913D3 7.5* w/ D+ 72 X Titleist 913fd 13.5* w/ D+ 82X Titleist 913hd 20* w/ D+ 102X 4-PW Titleist 712 MB X100 50, 56, 60 Wedgeworks California Chrome Select Newport 2 35"

Scotty Cameron Califonia Del Mar - Junk! Played 9-holes with it, never even got close to the hole. Sold it and bought a Rife.

R9 17* - Cannon! This club is awesome

Pro Black Hybrid - See R9

Mizuno 52 & 56 wedges - Exctly as I suspected. Less spin than my vokey but more predictable and better feel.

Overall, it's off to a good year!

Put my i15 irons actually in play for my first warm weather round this year with my friends. They are simply amazing the feel alone and ball flight are just superb. Plenty of shot control as well as feed back for what your doing.

Still not completely sold on my VR wedges the spin is great but the problem is they are a little shotty when it comes to feel. I have been playing old ping wedges and made the switch, probably still getting used to the feel.

My i15's are my favorite addition but, i have a small man crush on the G15 5 metal. This club as the sweetest sound and the distance is exactly what i was looking for. I have bounced around with 5 woods for some time. Went from Nike Sq 2 to TM R7 to a Ping G5 to TM 07 burner to TM R9 until finally finding a 5 wood that just doesn't come with sacrifice.

Has anyone played the original Ping Rapture Hybrid dropped by my local retailer(who i rarely buy from) and say these clubs brand new for $115 with the JAVLN shaft and was thinking about snagging one but am still unsure? Has anyone checked these out?

In addition to the Rapture hybrid in my previous post has anyone tried the the Scotty Cameron Squareback Number 2 i tried it the club i played at one friday and fell in love and i was told by the head pro whose mother is a friend of my mother said he would put a good deal on the putter since nobody has shown any interest on it since they got it on the floor. I just don't know once the honey moon is past will i hate this thing and have to go crying back to my TP Mills begging for forgiveness.

I'm going to sell the MP68's w/PX5.5 only hit them once but I can already tell not forgiving enough for me. Going to buy AP2 w/dgsl s300.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='openwater32' date='04 April 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1270430087' post='2360689']
I'm going to sell the MP68's w/PX5.5 only hit them once but I can already tell not forgiving enough for me. Going to buy AP2 w/dgsl s300.
[/quote]

hahahaahha.

Awesome.

If they had s300s I'd buy em but not PX - PX is poo for me!

The New AP2s are so fricken good. Insanely forgiving. 3 iron is in the bag for the first time in forever. 3 iron off the tee will be my money shot this year.

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

[quote name='Bomb and Gouge' date='04 April 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1270431353' post='2360744']
You can't really judge a putter until at least May. I don't even put my good putter(s) in the bag.
[/quote]

I agree with you but I've lost confidence with my squareback 2. It's a goner. I know it takes a while to get a true roll on the green but man when you lose faith in a club, forget it.

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

windsor area sometimes London.

The Laguna 1.5 looks just amazing - Basically a Scotty Ping Zing!! A combo I can go for. Not on Golf town's website yet but hopefully soon enough. You get any new gear for this year?

ZIPCORE 52 56 60

BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE

nice...i have only played Sutton Creek in Windsor for a university tourney and Otter Creek, Forest City, St Thomas and Tarandowah in the very general London area.

yeah see my above post, pretty much a whole bag of new gear, my old 909D3 is getting reshafted by Titleist with a Project X 7C3, and I have a 9015d with a motore f1 on the way from kencanuck....nothing wrong with a couple extra big sticks!

Titleist 913D3 7.5* w/ D+ 72 X Titleist 913fd 13.5* w/ D+ 82X Titleist 913hd 20* w/ D+ 102X 4-PW Titleist 712 MB X100 50, 56, 60 Wedgeworks California Chrome Select Newport 2 35"

[quote name='MtlJeff' date='03 April 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1270320553' post='2358562']

Played my first couple of rounds this year (finally!). I have changed almost everything in my bag since the end of last season.

biggest surprises:
-My G15 irons fly much higher than they seemed to indoors, not too high, in fact it's perfect since i'm a low ball hitter. But still i was surprised, this could work for me...i landed 5 and 6 irons very softly. Also the ground was rock hard and the wide soles still were great.
-My new driver combo, G15 with aldila NV (pink version!!!) is stupidly long. In to a monitor i hit it the same distance as my FT9 whiteboard...but not outside, outside the G15 demolished it ([i]demolished [/i]it). I had 2 of the longest drives i've ever hit and it sounds better too.
-I'm in love with my new putter, stepped onto the practice green and drained my first 7-8 putts. Then on the 10th hole sunk a 20 footer for eagle. LOVE my putter!

[/quote]

Well! What's the putter?!

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

Good Thread. Over the winter I picked up an FT9 iMix, 909F2 and a 909H. 909F2 and 909H seem to be keepers, but the verdict is still out on the FT9. Only played 9 holes, but several trips to the range initially have me thinking about going back to my G10 from last year (have not tried the G15 yet).

Went through several putters also, but ended up sticking with my d66 redwood for now. Although I also have my eye on the Scotty Laguna.

One question I have is what does your regular foursome say when you keep showing up with new clubs ? I think I am going to get some weird looks this year as I went through several 3/4 woods last year without finding a keeper.

[quote name='Shwagin1066' date='04 April 2010 - 10:32 PM' timestamp='1270434756' post='2360871']
[quote name='MtlJeff' date='03 April 2010 - 02:49 PM' timestamp='1270320553' post='2358562']

biggest surprises:
-My new driver combo, G15 with aldila NV (pink version!!!) is stupidly long. In to a monitor i hit it the same distance as my FT9 whiteboard...but not outside, outside the G15 demolished it ([i]demolished [/i]it). I had 2 of the longest drives i've ever hit and it sounds better too.

[/quote]

Well! What's the putter?!
[/quote]

oh sorry, it's in my sig and linked WITB, i also did a seperate thread on it (http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/331575-my-first-custom-putter)

from one of the sponsors here, i actually played again today and made another eagle with it

SGC #002 flow neck 385g

Over the winter I sold my J33Bs and built me a set of Wishon 555Ms with DGS400s 4-PW. I've also decided to give hybrids a try this year so I also build me a set of Wishon 331H 18* and 21* with the S2 Gold Hybrid shafts. The irons are fantastic!! Great feel and buttery smooth. Fairly forgiving for a blade. The hybrids are nice also, just need a few more rounds to get use to them. I think I need to bump the swingweight up just a hair to account for the ligher total weight. But they are very easy to hit and I love how high I can hit them without a ballooning.

The rest of the bag is still the same. The J33 460 is going on it's 5th year in the bag and I don't see any need to replace it. There are drivers more forgiving but nothing is longer and I still hit the J33 the straightest. The J33 Wedges I gunblued over the winter and they are sexy although they are starting to rust a little already.

The only thing I am looking for is a putter. I'll take a look at the Cleveland Classic BRZ #5 when they show up but for now I'll keep using my Titleist Bullseye.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60
Callaway '18 Apex 3H, 4H Aldila NV 105

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00

Although I bought the irons and hybrid last fall, I really havent played much with them, so it felt like my first time out this past weekend (Toronto had temps in the high 20's all weekend!). I'm playing new driver (G15), new 3 wood (i15), new irons (i15), new wedges (tour-w's), putter from last year but cut down to 34 inches.

Driver: Bit of a story - the paint in the grooves on my brand new G15 started to come out after just one range session. Club was sent back to Ping to be repainted, so this weekend played with a G15 with stock TFC, at 9 degrees, which Golftown gave me as a "loaner" because mine wasn't ready yet. Had some winter rust in the swing, that's for sure, but didn't hit a single ball out of bounds (even when I clearly hit it on the toe or heel), which is a testament to how good this club is. The stock shaft was just too long for me though - my own (which I should get back this week) plays to 45 inches, has the serrano shaft, swingweighted to D3, and has the NTS grip that I like, so I'm expecting big things from it on the course when I finally get to play it!!!

3 wood: only hit it a handful of times, nice mid trajectory. Like it, better distance than previous 3 wood (Titleist 909d2) but need more practice to really start crushing it.

Hybrid: Used this last year, money - makes a 200 yard approach much easier than it should be!

Irons: this is where my winter lessons paid off. When I was hitting the i15's last year, I wasn't catching them pure and I thought they felt "harsh". Reality is that they are more players' irons, so they'll let you know when you mishit one. With recent swing improvements, had a great round with them on Sunday (shot 78, albeit from the whites). Nice, high ballflight, and when you actually catch them pure like I was this weekend, they are as soft as anything out there, the ball just melts into the face! They are also super forgiving - I had a shot out of a fairway bunker that I caught right on the bottom half of the toe, I literally could see half a ballmark on it, and the ball still carried 150+ and ended up rolling to within 10 feet - AND I made the birdie!

Wedges: no real difference between the Taylormade Racs I had last year to these tour-w's. But that's a good thing, both stopped on full shots and chips when I needed them to.

Putter: cutting down my redwood to 34 inches may have been a stroke of genius. I already loved the feel of this putter (when struck well) but at this length I only missed one putt within 6 feet - literally!!! The 78 this weekend wouldn't have been a 78 if it wasn't for that putter.

I'm very happy with all my equipment - you can't compare how you hit something indoors to how it performs outside, off the turf, especially irons and wedges in my opinion. Great thread and good golf to us all in the Great White North!!!!

[quote name='kgeorge78' date='04 April 2010 - 08:18 PM' timestamp='1270426727' post='2360571']
[/quote]

For the first time in 3 years I'm not looking for another driver. THe Supertri caught my eye but I havent ordered one yet so so far so good!
[/quote]

You've convinced me and I'm looking forward to a shaft shootout!!! Really hoping for an extra 15 yards along with the forgiveness that G15's are noted for. I will then be a happy [s]camper[/s] golfer!
I'll do a review after all is said and done.