golf digest got me thinking

ZGriswold83

obsolete list
I've got a set of ISI's that I've played with for 5 years or so. I honestly just don't have the money to go and drop on a new set of irons, I'd love to get rid of my ISI's and get something newer. Is the technology in the ISI's WAAAAAYYYYY behind the technology that is put into irons of present day?

The irons I'd probably go get today would be either i15's, AP2s, Nike VR, or one of the mizzy sets, not sure which. Would I get better performance out of these irons compared to my ISI's from 15 years ago?

Should I just get mine refinished, maybe throw some new shafts in them (DG's would be my preference)?

OR do you think the Golf Digest just got paid off by the golf club manufacturers to post some bs about clubs being "obsolete" so guys will dump their clubs and go but a whole new set raising sales in golf equipment?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isi-s are solid irons. i don't think there's anything about them that's that much behind anything that's out now. your grooves might be near shot, but the design is functional. you can regroove pretty easily yourself with a tool.

ping can redo them like new, but sometimes by the time you do that, you can just buy a new set. you'll like the i15s.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='ziggityz83' date='10 April 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1270880823' post='2371337']
I've got a set of ISI's that I've played with for 5 years or so. I honestly just don't have the money to go and drop on a new set of irons, I'd love to get rid of my ISI's and get something newer. Is the technology in the ISI's WAAAAAYYYYY behind the technology that is put into irons of present day?

The irons I'd probably go get today would be either i15's, AP2s, Nike VR, or one of the mizzy sets, not sure which. Would I get better performance out of these irons compared to my ISI's from 15 years ago?

Should I just get mine refinished, maybe throw some new shafts in them (DG's would be my preference)?

OR do you think the Golf Digest just got paid off by the golf club manufacturers to post some bs about clubs being "obsolete" so guys will dump their clubs and go but a whole new set raising sales in golf equipment?
[/quote]

Thats exactly what happened, Golf Digest got paid off by club manufacturers to push new equipment. Any serious golfer knows the only technology advances are in drivers not irons or wedges, especially since many low to mid handis play forged irons. The two best sets of irons I've played in 21 years were the 962s and Apex Edge Pros one from 1997 and other from 2002.

In fact, I just picked up a set of used 962s with Rifles and they feel more solid than my MP 60s. And I paid $110 for them.

I think the ISI's were some of the best irons PING ever made. In fact, if I can find a set of nickel ISI's in my specs, I may just swap out my i5's for them, and that's saying alot because the i5's are the best Ping irons I've played to date. Iron technology hasn't advanced much over the last 10 years, IMO.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

[quote name='ssfranny' date='10 April 2010 - 05:27 AM' timestamp='1270891671' post='2371399']
[quote name='ziggityz83' date='10 April 2010 - 01:27 AM' timestamp='1270880823' post='2371337']

[/quote]
Thats exactly what happened, Golf Digest got paid off by club manufacturers to push new equipment. Any serious golfer knows the only technology advances are in drivers not irons or wedges, especially since many low to mid handis play forged irons. The two best sets of irons I've played in 21 years were the 962s and Apex Edge Pros one from 1997 and other from 2002.

In fact, I just picked up a set of used 962s with Rifles and they feel more solid than my MP 60s. And I paid $110 for them.
[/quote]
I agree with your comments about the motivation to publish such an article (to stimulate golf club sales) and about the classic 962s. But, if you are saying the 962s were forged, they were not.

This is Golf Digest at its worst, just protecting and seeking more advertising by publishing that article.

The truth is that a good club for you is a good club for you regardless of its age. Do you really believe every driver has to be 440-460cc with a ultralight shaft longer than 45.5" to avoid being obsolete?

Frankly, in my opinion, many golfers would be better served by smaller heads of less than 400cc, that would be easier for them to square at impact. Furthermore a driver size closer to the other clubs in their bag could help golfers achieve greater consistency with sweet spot contact.

The truth is you need a driver that looks and feels good to you and fits your swing. Any driver that allows you to hit the ball a reasonable distance with good accuracy can be an excellent club for YOU if it helps you score well. Keep in mind accurancy is actually more important than distance when it comes to scoring well, and there were plenty of excellent driver heads and shafts made earlier in this decade. Golf Disgest saying that drivers more than a few years old are obsolte is just plain silly in my opinion. Don't believe it!

:secret:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

In response to bobcat, 400cc drivers are really good, but I don't think that it would be easier to square for someone who has a problem with the rights. I've played mine for 6 years or so, and it's been wonderful.

On another note, irons really haven't gained an incredible amount of technology, unless you're talking about super game-improvement irons.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)

I'm truly not sure how much better a traditional 2010 iron (not the odd hi-tech SGI stuff) is over there predecessors. I've played a range of Mizuno MX-series irons (owned or rented demos): mx-25, mx-900 (owned), mx-950, mx-200, and mx-300. I finally picked up a short set (6-PW) of MP-52s recently and really wanted a 5i. I thought heck go get an more forgiving mx-?? 5i, so I looked for a new mx-25,mx-200 or mx-300 that was under $80 and finally ended up with an mx-23 with a new Graphite Design AD Tour shaft (85s).

Played first round today and with a very smooth swing was flying it straight, mid-trajectory and long (for me) -- I'd say carry was over 180 and the GPS measured final distance averaged 193 on 3 shots. That is a huge 5i for me. My longes mx-300 5i (stock stiff graphite shaft) on a demo day at an outdoor range netted around 185.

If I could grab a new or mint set of MX-23s for under $250, I'd jump all over it and reshaft with either SteelFiber or AD Tour shaft and play them another 3 years.

Ping K15 9.5
Ping G15 4w
Ping G20 3h
Callaway XR 5-PW
Vokey SM5 48, 54, 60
Odyssey Prototype Tour Series 3

IMO, the biggest advance in modern drivers is in the shaft. Very few shafts from 5+ years ago are still being made - most have been replaced. I perfer a 400CC driver as well - I would put a 905R/T up against any 460CC club on any day. If you want to mash, get a good 400CC driver and put a modern bad-a** shaft in it.

Don't sweat the article. It was pretty lame. If they really cared about actual obsolete equipment, they wouldn't have put $ next to each club showing you what they true motive is - money. I was expecting to see tangible things that I could use to judge myself, like spin numbers, launch angles, putting the face of your irons on a straight edge, etc., but got nothing. Other than the instructional stuff, don't pay any attention to their equipment suggestions or reviews. Take a look at what some of the teaching pros are using - one of the guys was swinging a 905R with a 757 shaft that is 5+ years old - that tells me more than I need to know. Heck, some of the brand new clubs are obsolete already since they are built so crappily and designed to sell with little emphasis on use.

They also say that putters are never obsolete. Don't believe it. I played a Ping Zing 2 BeCu since high school. About 2 years ago, I checked it out and it had a very large indentation (.2MM deep) where the sweet spot was...just normal wear. I replaced it with a milled face and hit putts much more consistently that rolled better. I guess that the putter people did not pay them enough to make the article?

Swing those old clubs - they are still good. If you can get a ball to drop and stop, or back up a bit, then the grooves are still fine. Do you ever leave any ball skin in the grooves? If so, then they are biting just fine.

[quote name='ssfranny' date='10 April 2010 - 10:27 AM' timestamp='1270891671' post='2371399']

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1

I played the ISI coppers for close to 10 years and loved them. Then late last year I demoed a Ping s58 7-iron with the z-z65 shaft and fell in love. Much smaller head, much less offset, but so forgiving for Ping's version of a "players club." I immediately sold my ISI-BeCu on eBay and bought the s58 (didn't like the s57's satin look and milled face). I went from a 18 handicap to a 9 in a few months. Though it's tougher to hit, it forces you to concentrate more on the shot and not just go up to the ball and hit it. I can now fade, draw, punch, and sky the ball which I couldn't do before. I definitely do NOT regret selling the ISI even though I did love them. Try the s58's if you can. I honestly think they are the best irons Ping has made to date.

anything golf digest does is seen as being driven by advertising dollars , at least here LOL...I wonder if Car and Driver gets critisized for telling you new cars are better than the previous model.

I thought the article was a neat idea. But i don't understand how they could possibly justify some of their ratings with irons. They should have done it with just woods and hybrids where there are some clear differences in technology, a bit too ambitious to include irons IMO. How do they rate Wilson PI5's as being almost worthy of "a USGA museum" (they were given only 1 grade higher than that). Harrington still uses them on tour and i don't see how they have been that far surpassed as a players CB. That is just one example.

i wouldn't worry about playing new irons, but if people are using a 10 year old driver i'm sure on average they can get better performance from something new. That was the point of the article

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='ziggityz83' date='10 April 2010 - 08:27 AM' timestamp='1270880823' post='2371337']

[/quote]

Maybe what is really obsolete is reading Golf Digest :rolleyes:

Jokes aside, I don't agree when they say that most of the bag (drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons and wedges), has become obsolete in the last two to five years...
In my opinion, in some cases some manufacturers have gone backwards, for example by delofting irons to make them longer than the competition (and to sell hybrids) and increasing the lenght of the drivers to 46" or more (yes, I've read the article "Great Lenghts" and I also don't agree).

Have a great game.

Ping G430 MAX 10.5º. GD Tour AD IZ 6S

PXG 0311 XF GEN6 #4 & #7. UST Proforce V2 6F4

Maltby KE4 Tour RS 22º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TE+ Forged 25º ~ 45º. FST Pro 115S

Maltby TSW Forged 50º, 55º & 60º. FST Pro 115S

EVNROLL ER5 CS Hatchback