who's tried the hooters tour?

mike weir said "if you don't shoot 63 at your home course everytime you go out, don't bother"

I don't know much about professional golf on any tour, but that logic just seems silly to me. From what I understand, success playing professional golf is putting together an entire season of solid and consistent rounds on unfamilair turf, while enduring the struggles of being a journeyman (traveling week to week, pressure, bills).

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heres my two cents.....again just a story about the level of talent out there......

was playing in myrtle beach with a buddy of mine at legends heathland course.....we were paired up with two younger college aged kids from the wash dc area......me and my buddy are both solid 5 handicaps and both teed off hitting straight shots about 275 down the middle.....one of the college aged kids then teed off and absolutely striped one down the middle about 325 yds...me and my buddy just looked at each other with raised eyebrows........he went onto birdie 5 out of the first 7 holes and then eagled the first par 5 on the back 9....at that point i had to ask what his background was.....he then reveled that he had played golf for wake forest and was now working as a financial analyst in the wash dc area.....my buddy and i responded by saying wow and asking what number he played, he responded by saying "oh i barely ever traveled...." when i asked him why he wasnt playing on tour....he just smiled at me and said "yeah right..."

btw he went on to shoot the smoothest 65 you can imagine......its just an illustration of how high the level of talent is out there......but then again alot of who makes it on tour has to do with heart and determination......if you have the drive and a baseline level of talent, you should give it a shot and see what happens....

^ That is a good story & a true indication of the talent level out there. By all means, chase those dreams. However, it takes a very special talent to be able to make your living playing golf. If you're not sure...well, that may be an indication. The guys that make money are damn good, and THEY KNOW IT!!

Best of luck to you.

Yeah, I have every expectation of getting my a** handed to me for a few months, but I feel like I can shoot a couple 67's anywhere at anytime if the putter gets a little warm...It's just hard to justify with a wife and kid on the way to try to seek sponsorships and try to achieve something that 3% of people ever achieve who try professional golf. I'm trying to get everything in front of me before I make a decision.

I played the Hooters for two years. If you shoot a couple of 67's here and there you will be getting your a** handed to you. Every week guys were shooting LOW 60's every round. It seemed that a new course record was shot almost daily. Guys shoot 20 under every week at least to win. I played in I think 2001 when Chad Campbell won almost half the events. The second year Zach Johnson and Vaughan Taylor were lighting it up. If you cannot shoot 63 on a weekly basis don't even try. Put the money into your kids college fund. Seriously. You can PM me and I will be happy to speak with you on the phone.

Taylormade Qi10 9* HZRDUS 70 6.5

Titleist Tsi2 15* Tensei RAW Blue 75X

Titleist Tsr2 21* Tensei Black 85 TX
Srixon ZX5, ZX7 combo set 4-PW PX 6.0
Titleist SM5 50.12F, SM6 56.14F, 60.08M
Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Stroke Lab
Titleist Pro V1X 2023

You are wrong on this. I had the pleasure of playing some summer golf with Troy Matteson when he was working at our club. He never once shot over 63. I'm a +2 and have won our club championship 8 times, and I was getting 3 a side. The difference in our games was miles apart.

And he is barely surviving out there.

Just because pro's can shoot 63s at all rounds on their home course or whatever doesn't mean that much. When they are playing these rounds they couldn't care less if they didn't shoot low scores, but many of theese people can not handle all the stuff going on when playing the big tournaments on the tour. "Ohh, that big 1st prize" "Tiger,Garcia,Phil - how the hell can I compete with those" etc.. A lot of people can play so much better when there is nothing on the line or other kind of pressure.

A lot of time I think it comes down to how good you are focusing on your own game and nothing but that.

Yeah, I have every expectation of getting my a** handed to me for a few months, but I feel like I can shoot a couple 67's anywhere at anytime if the putter gets a little warm...It's just hard to justify with a wife and kid on the way to try to seek sponsorships and try to achieve something that 3% of people ever achieve who try professional golf. I'm trying to get everything in front of me before I make a decision.

I played the Hooters for two years. If you shoot a couple of 67's here and there you will be getting your a** handed to you. Every week guys were shooting LOW 60's every round. It seemed that a new course record was shot almost daily. Guys shoot 20 under every week at least to win. I played in I think 2001 when Chad Campbell won almost half the events. The second year Zach Johnson and Vaughan Taylor were lighting it up. If you cannot shoot 63 on a weekly basis don't even try. Put the money into your kids college fund. Seriously. You can PM me and I will be happy to speak with you on the phone.

I'm not arguing with you here Webber, but I have a question. I've seen the results, and understand the numbers these guys put up. But I can't explain why these guys go low ALL the time, and then shoot 78s and fail to advance past stage 1 of Q-School. Guys like Colby Beckstrom that "can't miss," seem to miss an awful lot when something is actually on the line.

But then I look at my local area pros, Jim Herman being one. He just advanced to the final stage. He finished like 80something on the Nationwide money list this year. But if you look at his performance in local area events, he didn't set the world on fire. Obviously he's a tremendous player, but he's consistent and good under pressure. He didn't go out and set course records every week, he didn't win back to back MET Opens, etc.

I understand people react differently under pressure, but I'd just like to hear your thoughts on this as a player who's been there. Thanks bud.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

Don't know if this has been mentioned here yet or not, but before considering read this:

http://www.brianquackenbush.com/.

I played Jr. golf tournaments with Brian (long ago) and competed in a few similar tournaments locally before he decided to turn pro, so I knew who he was and took an interest in his path.....Great player (2nd ranked amateur nationally I think when he turned pro) and a great guy from what I remember, with the right mental approach. I followed his "quest" via his site for several years and pulled for him as much as anyone. As a fan I was disappointed when he decided to pursue other interests but certainly understood why....as most who read this "diary" will to. I don't know anything about you or your game so I would never try to say if you could or couldn't and I would never discourage anyone from pursuing their dreams....I just think this should be required reading for anyone on the fence thinking about this decision, and Brian's incredible work on documenting his journey is the "real life" example for anyone contemplating this in their mind.... Definitely puts everything in perspective that other people are alluding to here and his site is an invaluable resource.

What a great thread. What separates those who make and those who don't is always a great subject. I've only played with a top flight player on few occasions. Watching someone shot an "easy" 65 is incredible for those of us not fortunate enough to regularly play with really, really good players. I spent some time on the range with this player after the "easy" 65 and he NEVER missed a shot. Driver through wedge. You could put a blanket over the balls he hit with a given club. It was truly an incredible display. I couldn't stop saying to myself how can this guy not be on tour.

Well, the skinny I got from folks that really knew him was he just couldn't perform the same in tournaments. It wasn't pressure in and of itself as I heard some stories about big money games in which he performed well. But in Hooters Tour level competition he just couldn't keep it together over the course of the tournament.

Still, it gave me a perspective about just how good some guys are. And also drilled home to me that it's all between the ears...that and a great short game. :D

A number of people who gave answers tried the minitours...why?

Who told you that your swing and game was good enough?

What teacher looked at your swing and said "it could happen for you."

What score did you shoot on what course that finally said "I could make it if I tried."

What could you do with your mental game that gave you the idea you could win a minitour event?

To be honest I never planned on turning pro. I played decent in amatuer events, alternate for several national events, but the deciding factor was making the cut in several professional events as an amatuer. After beginning teaching I lost my amatuer status and decided why not. I proved to myself I could play decently under pressure. Never really did much as far as money goes, but learned a lot about myself. I'm a far better teacher than I am a putter and player. Trying to play actually made me love teaching more.

I am a very good friend of a VERY top Am / Mid Am in Canada and we played Harmony outside Orlando a few years back . My bud shot a couple under and if I recall it was 7600 yards and windy when we played. Pretty open though.

Chatting to the pro afterwards he told us that Gamez and another guy had shot 63 there the last time Hooters was at the course .. wow

FYI my bud is a plus 3 and has a handful of course records but does not want to give up his job to risk a pro shot even though guys he beat in Am events are top 20 on the CDN tour last yr

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I would never tell someone not to follow their dreams. I think they just want to give the OP realistic expectations. Even if you made every cut on the number and finished last you would lose quite a bit of money. In those 9 events they have $11,000 in entry fees alone. Add in gas and other expenses and you are closer to $16-18,000. Last place to make the cut usually makes around $800-900. This would mean you would be around $9-10,000 in the hole. It isn't a glamorous life and if you break even you would have played very very well.

I don't see how you can make that much money on the mini tours? Only guys really making money are top tours players. And if you are that level then you already know that's your route rather than asking and deliberating about whether to do it. I'm 20, I'm planning on attacking the mini tours in 2-3 years time and then working my way up. I know that I've gotta work my a** off in those 2-3 years to get my game where it has to be but I have the dedication and mind set to be able to do it and I would never discourage anyone from trying.

mike weir said "if you don't shoot 63 at your home course everytime you go out, don't bother"

Well, to be honest, given how Mike's played since winning the Masters, if I were him I'd probably be trying to discourage any more young ambitious players from trying their hand at professional golf too, but perhaps that's being a bit tough on Weir.

LOL Mike Weir = 2008 Earnings:$3,020,135

I am a very good friend of a VERY top Am / Mid Am in Canada and we played Harmony outside Orlando a few years back . My bud shot a couple under and if I recall it was 7600 yards and windy when we played. Pretty open though.

Chatting to the pro afterwards he told us that Gamez and another guy had shot 63 there the last time Hooters was at the course .. wow

Just played the Hooters winter series event at Harmony this week and the winning score was -10. It was very windy on Tuesday afternoon to the point where only 6 players from the afternoon wave shot +1 or better. Wednesday morning it was 40 degrees with a 15 mph wind for the first tee time (lucky me had the joy of being the first off). Thursday was much the same as Wednesday.

For the first 4 events the lowest rounds have been 65's (maybe 6 total through 4 events) not <63. What did Gamez and company shoot for their other rounds? Shoot 3 rounds of 68 for the first four events and you would have placed 2nd, 6th, win, and win. This having to shoot 63 every time you play your home course is a joke, it simply doesn't happen. Most top 10's in the world can not do that. Consistent scores under par is what it takes, not the single great round. 63's or better are the goal, just not the norm.

You are wrong on this. I had the pleasure of playing some summer golf with Troy Matteson when he was working at our club. He never once shot over 63. I'm a +2 and have won our club championship 8 times, and I was getting 3 a side. The difference in our games was miles apart.

Thats great that when nothing is on the line he tosses up 60s. Unfortunately for him, he didn't do it when it counted this year. Thats my point, all the skill and ability in the world can't help you if you can't put the ball in the hole when something is on the line.

Rybo has it spot on. I'm glad someone around here has some sense.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

For anyone looking to go pro I am going to give you this advice.

My story is in Bowling not golf but relates the same. I was trying to go pro on a limited budget, so when I paid my $300 entry fee I always felt pressure that I needed to do well to get my money back. Looking back at it, I think if I would of had sponsers to pay my expenses I would have been able to just bowl and not worry about the money part of it. Its kind of like gambling, if you cant afford to lose it than dont gamble. I finally quite bowling altogether a few years ago because just paying the weekly league fees was cutting into our budget and I was puting pressure on myself to just win jackpots. My average went down and I was starting to hate going. So what I am saying is if you want to give the tour a shot than make sure you are financially set. Dont be afraid to lose every penny you put into it.!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

Thats great that when nothing is on the line he tosses up 60s. Unfortunately for him, he didn't do it when it counted this year. Thats my point, all the skill and ability in the world can't help you if you can't put the ball in the hole when something is on the line.

Barely surviving out there?.......he has a PGA Tour victory and two Nationwide wins. Ok it was 2 years ago but that is far from 'barely surviving'! He also had a 2nd place this year and finished 89th on the money list. In the Tiger era, it seems if you don't win every week, you suck and have no reason to be out there. Let me make this very clear, TIGER IS NOT THE NORM! He is a freak, in a good way of course, but still a freak.

The fact stands, shooting 68 under tournament conditions every day is still outstanding and very difficult. Do not let anyone blow smoke up your arse otherwise.

I went to the Canadian Tour Q-School twice. Came close one year and not close the next year. It's a pretty good tour especially when the dollar conversion rate is good. I've had a few friends play the tour and they all easily kept their cards. I've heard nothing but good things about the tour. Another good tour to look into is the Asian Tour. It a 2 stage tour school and they play for a lot of money. The downside is the traveling and probably the food in some of those countries. Both of those tours would certainly be worth looking into.

Barely surviving out there?.......he has a PGA Tour victory and two Nationwide wins. Ok it was 2 years ago but that is far from 'barely surviving'! He also had a 2nd place this year and finished 89th on the money list. In the Tiger era, it seems if you don't win every week, you suck and have no reason to be out there. Let me make this very clear, TIGER IS NOT THE NORM! He is a freak, in a good way of course, but still a freak.

The fact stands, shooting 68 under tournament conditions every day is still outstanding and very difficult. Do not let anyone blow smoke up your arse otherwise.

"under tournament conditions" is the key. All the analysis opf the nunmbers does not quantify what it's like to have a tight fairway staring at you, knowing that a par will mean a cheque of $150,000. Plus, you may have anywhere from 300-1,000 people surrounding you at the tee box. Ever get nervous on the first tee with the people at the course hanging around? Try having that crowd around you and still pulling it off.

So where is this guy? We need to know what he did. Given that it was a few years ago, I'm hoping he made the decision to look after his wife and kid....messing things up for your kid's future is a much greater regret than not having tried to go pro I would think.

If you want to make money then you need to post up under-par rounds regularly. Shooting even every round won't make most cuts.

If you're doing this for the experience, and you have the money - go ahead. If you're doing this to make money - the fact that you need to ask these questions tells me that you will not make much (this isn't an insult, most people that are planning on playing golf for a living know everything about their future tours, and what they need to be shooting).

If you want to make money then you need to post up under-par rounds regularly. Shooting even every round won't make most cuts.

If you're doing this for the experience, and you have the money - go ahead. If you're doing this to make money - the fact that you need to ask these questions tells me that you will not make much (this isn't an insult, most people that are planning on playing golf for a living know everything about their future tours, and what they need to be shooting).

Double that. It's nice for everyone to say "Go for it. Chase the dream." Reality is, it's like the old question "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it." To succeed professionally at any level, your game has to be so good that it's obvious you can compete.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

• 2 months later...