True Temper Dynamic Gold R500

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All True Temper shafts with a "R" designation are "regular flex"; "S" is for stiff and "X" is for extra-stiff. The three digit number following the R (200/300/400) is to do with the weight of the shaft. R200/R300/R400 parallel wood shafts weigh 122g/125g/129g respectively. I've not seen a R500 shaft, but we might assume that it weighs 132-133g. I play R400 shafts in my Wilson Staff Tour Block persimmon woods and I don't notice any difference between their weight and woods with the standard R300 shafts.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Nspiel58' timestamp='1271465179' post='2384132']
Thanks for the info. Cheers!
[/quote]

When True Temper came out with the "Gold" series, I managed to get through to their R & D department. I believe that the man's name was Bob Bush, who may have headed the project. What he told me was this: True Temper was trying to compete with the frequency matched Rifles by Brunswick, and get into the F.M. Market. TT figured out that the heavier the shaft, the stiffer the shaft. The result was 5 different weights in each flex area, but their problem was that there was overlapping. IE an S500 was basically the same as an X300. An S100 was the same as an R300.

Now consider this: if you have two shafts of equal length, step-downs, material, and one shaft measures stiff on the frequency meter and one is regular,
what is the reason? It can only be the weight. If one shaft is heavier than the other shaft, then there is only one other variable as I see it. the wall of the shaft has to be thicker. If the wall is thicker, then the the shaft will be stiffer. How many times have we pulled 14 shafts out of a box and found through trial and error, weighing, checking the frequency, have we come out with different results?

Bill

[quote name='spilbellman' timestamp='1287794416' post='2754918']
[/quote]

When True Temper came out with the "Gold" series, I managed to get through to their R & D department. I believe that the man's name was Bob Bush, who may have headed the project. What he told me was this: True Temper was trying to compete with the frequency matched Rifles by Brunswick, and get into the F.M. Market. TT figured out that the heavier the shaft, the stiffer the shaft. The result was 5 different weights in each flex area, but their problem was that there was overlapping. IE an S500 was basically the same as an X300. An S100 was the same as an R300.

[/quote]

That's incorrect. An S500 would not be close to an X300 in it's overall flex/bend profile. Neither is the currently available S400 anywhere close to the same flex as the X100.

An S400 on a frequency analyzer, cycles at 1-3 cycles stiffer than an S300. This is a very small difference in flex and doesn't bring it close to an X100.

[quote name='Cwebb' timestamp='1287803518' post='2755171']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That's incorrect. An S500 would not be close to an X300 in it's overall flex/bend profile. Neither is the currently available S400 anywhere close to the same flex as the X100.

An S400 on a frequency analyzer, cycles at 1-3 cycles stiffer than an S300. This is a very small difference in flex and doesn't bring it close to an X100.
[/quote]

CWebb It has been a while since that conversation with TT. My memory is pretty good, but not infallible. You have piqued my curiosity and I will check it out. I didn't know that TT still offered the S400. I did like that shaft.
anyway, I have never looked at this forum on Classics before two days ago and I am thrilled that so many still have an interest.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

If my rusty memory is correct (ahem...) there's some overlap, but not as much stated above. I thought they set it up so that an S500 played to the same stiffness as an X100, but the S500 would have a heavier static weight. I wish I still had an old Matby catalog from 1990. I remember this all being spelled out clear as day with a little chart and everything.

So I'd suspect that the R500 shaft the OP found plays to an S100 stiffness, but is heavier.

Who know? Maybe someone will chime in with a scan of a page out of that old Matby catalog I'm thinking of.

X-100 then and now are different IMO.

S-500 was heavier but just a touch softer than X-100 back then.

A great shaft. i've still got 3 or 4 sets in clubs around here.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1289255418' post='2780732']
X-100 then and now are different IMO.

S-500 was heavier but just a touch softer than X-100 back then.

A great shaft. i've still got 3 or 4 sets in clubs around here.

Texsport
[/quote]

I played both the S500 and X100 back in the day and agree with you Texsport.

Still have a set with the S500 myself.

[attachment=681410:Picture 1.jpg]

[/quote]

Now consider this: if you have two shafts of equal length, step-downs, material, and one shaft measures stiff on the frequency meter and one is regular,
what is the reason? It can only be the weight. If one shaft is heavier than the other shaft, then there is only one other variable as I see it. the wall of the shaft has to be thicker. If the wall is thicker, then the the shaft will be stiffer. How many times have we pulled 14 shafts out of a box and found through trial and error, weighing, checking the frequency, have we come out with different results?

Bill
[/quote]

Hey Bill: the other variable that affects overall shaft weight is the number of welds along the length of the shaft: more welds = heavier weight. All DG shafts have the same thickness in the wall of the shaft, but there is a surprising variation in the overall weight where a shaft has many more welds than another in the same flex group.

The bag:

Titleist 915 D2 driver

Titleist TS2 3 wood

Titleist 818 H1 3 & 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP-60 irons (5-PW)

Mizuno T-22 wedges

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-ball

The weld seam does more for frequency variance on Dynamic Golds than the weight ever will. Spine a set of DG shafts and the frequency slope becomes very linear.

It's mainly a weight thing. I've played X-100, X-200, and X-300 shafts. No difference in performance.

The exception is the DG Tour (X7) which has thicker steps than a normal X-100 and a .615" butt. The butt and steps create a slightly hotter trajectory with less spin than X-100.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

[size=5]Some interesting stuff but mostly peripheral discussion about S500 when the original question concerns R500.It's of interest to me too as I've just bought a set of the last model Wilson Staff Fluid Feel irons (no knurling on hosel) and apparently they are fitted with R500 shafts which I'm unfamiliar with but guessed that they would play a bit firmer than an R300 or R400,the R400 was the most popular shaft in the UK back in the '80's and early '90's as I recall,then replaced largely by the R300 which plays a bit softer and I did have a set made up by Mizuno of Pro Original blades with S200 shafts which were terrific.[/size]
[size=5]Back then I think that we generally reckoned that the only difference between an R300 and R400 was the shaft band.[/size]

[quote name='okesa' timestamp='1355134610' post='6045347']
[size=5]Back then I think that we generally reckoned that the only difference between an R300 and R400 was the shaft band.[/size]
[/quote]

It's basically the same between R400 and R500. The difference is a couple grams in total weight. No structural differences to help account for flex.

If you're a person who prefers to believe in the theory behind this supposition, you could believe the R500 might be a couple CPMs stiffer, due to the very slightly greater wall thickness evidenced by the extra 2 grams of overall weight. Personally, don't think it's worth thinking about. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 8 years later...
On 10/23/2010 at 5:10 PM, spilbellman said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

CWebb It has been a while since that conversation with TT. My memory is pretty good, but not infallible. You have piqued my curiosity and I will check it out. I didn't know that TT still offered the S400. I did like that shaft.
anyway, I have never looked at this forum on Classics before two days ago and I am thrilled that so many still have an interest.

Bill

i think same weight but not same flex

step pattern nearer hozel with stiffer flex

• 1 year later...

I took five different 8 irons out today for practice. When I tried the 500 shaft--it felt heavy and stiff--too heavy and stiff* for me. I could hit it, but it took a little work.  The best club for the day had an R300u, but they all have mangled stickers and I'm not sure about the rest of the letters yet. The set with 500's will probably go to another player/collector. Just not a good match for me. I'll look at the whole set and try to find the letter designations.

*Whoops. Not stiff, I found part of an "R" on two of them.  I never would have thought such, I'll check the swingweights next. Just didn't care for that heavy shaft, regardless of the flex rating. I might give them one more try, but my hopes are not high.

Wall thickness is way less important than tubing diameter as far as stiffness goes. I learned a lot about this before I built a couple of bikes from internally-butted, bicycle-specific steel tubing. I used Columbus (Italy) for the road bike and True Temper tubing for my ATB. I think TT got out of the bike tubing biz.  I'm glad I linked this up in my head. Calipers are coming out next to compare the diameters and section lengths-or where they tweak the flex.

On 10/23/2010 at 5:10 PM, spilbellman said:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Bill

Weights overlapped but not flex due to the different step.pattern .X had a step 2 inches lower than the S