Hilton Head golf

mhmob

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have access to private clubs then go with Long Cove, Colleton River or if money is not object, drive out to Beaufort and walk Secession.

If public, you have a lot of choices. Palmetto Dunes has three and all are pretty good (Hills, Jones, Fazio). I would tend to avoid the courses at Port Royal and Shipyard. Off Island are HH National, Old South and Hampton Hall.

Enjoy.

• 11 months later...

I live on Hilton Head for past 7 yrs, these are my favs:

The Crescent-Palmer design, tough course, off island about 3 mi;

Arthur Hills Couse(Palmetto Dunes)-probably the best public course on the island

Hilton Head National- 3 nines, tight course, exc cond, a fun tract

Country Club of HH-my home course, tough course but fun, used as a US Open qualifier

Old South-tough back nine, real target golf

Fazio - good course, lots of sand

Oyster Reef- very good course, also lot of sand

skip:

Trent-Jones - wide open cow pasture

Island West- poorly maintained and designed

Enjoy!

I go every year in July and there is one thing I always do is hop on the ferry and go to Daufuskie Island. For $120 you get two rounds of golf and lunch and are rarely bothered on the golf course by another group.

Daufuskie Island has two golf courses. Bloody Point and The Melrose.

Typically you start on Bloody Point. Not a real tough golf course. The Back Nine is the meat of the golf course with a lot of lateral hazards and water to carry into greens. The eighteenth hole has a bunker in the middle of the green. The 12th and 14th holes share a green ala St. Andrews. Front nine is fairly open and do your scoring here before you go to the back.

The Melrose is a Nicklaus course that rivals Harbour Town. Its finishing stretch is on the water and in the late afternoon the wind can really play havoc. The shot into the eighteenth green that juts out into the beach and water is truly one of the most exciting shots you play all day. The trip will take all day from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. but it is well worth it.

Back on the mainland I skip most of the high dollar courses in the resorts and head to Hampton Hall. It is a little bit of drive from the island but it is worth it. The green fees are much cheaper compared to on island and its conditioning is the best in my opinion. It is always immaculate and never very crowded. The course is semi-private while the community is getting developed. You feel like a member of a country club when you go to play there. Excellent practice facilities as well.

Other courses I have played and enjoyed:

Crescent Pointe - Palmer Design

Eagles Pointe - Davis Love III

Oyster Reef

Arthur Hills at Palmetto Hall

Courses I think are overated and not worth the greens fees:

RTJ at Palmetto Dunes

Ocean Course at Sea Pines

Now, if you want to drop the coin it is always great to play a course the pros play. I have played Harbour Town twice and it is really fun. The course is always in tip top shape and you get to walk in the same shoes as the pros for a day. I would not recommend it for every trip but I have always enjoyed it. People have mixed opinions on this course but I always enjoy playing a track and then seeing it again on TV.

Enjoy your trip. I will be there the second week in July and already have my tee times. I can't wait.

Hello,

These would be the best and probably most expensive courses in and around Hilton Head. You will need connections to get onto some of these.

Hilton Head Island...Harbour Town, Long Cove and Wexford

Blufton area (entrance to HHI)....Belfair, Colleton River, Berkley Hall and Secession

Dafuskie...Melrose, Bloody Point, Haig Point(I think it is open)

Have fun,

Chip

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new Nicklaus course as well that I think has caddies. One of the Daufuskie courses is being remodeled I believe?! I go in October every year and played Harbor Town this past year. I don't know anyone that could possible think the layout was anything but outstanding. Many of the holes/greens still stand out in my mind.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the area.....I might be able to play when you come PM me.......My advice on the island is as mentioned before......eagles and crescent in Bluffton are alright......Beaufort...nothing really (Secsession is closed) in Furman about an hour and some change is Penny Branch Golf Club...in the country not busy fun layout usually good greens cheap.....Crosswinds in savannah ok 18 but lighted par 3 9 holes....not sure of condition but it is fun...oh yeah the cotton **** course mentioned before is at Dataw Island......very good track(layout)....play is slow.....greens mediocre...Fripp Island is fun but if the wind is up gooooood luck........hope that helps

• 6 months later...

Military base you mentioned is Parris Island Recruit Depot. The golf course is called The Legends and it is a great course. Just call the pro shop and arrange a tee time. You'll have to check in at the main gate so allow a little time. Play from the tips and you got all you want. Back side is tough if the wind is blowing.

• 3 months later...
Has anybody played the remodeled Marsh Course in Sea Pines. It was redone by Dye and apparently the greens are as small if not smaller than Harbor Town!

Played it March 2008. It's now called Heron Point. Was told up front that because the greens are new, they are not receptive - i.e., they are like bricks! This might not matter so much except that the Dye redesigned greens are 1) small (to tiny), and 2) mounded. That said, I really liked the course and it is certainly a vast improvement over the Sea Marsh course it replaced.

Was told it would take 2-3 years for the greens to soften up. Most of our group thought the course was just too difficult; I liked it since I shot our low round (86 - 48/38).

On another note, I seem to be in a minority who consider the Ocean course at Sea Pines underrated, not overrated. Lots of variation in the holes, lots of different golf shots demanded by the course.

Harbour Town - my favorite golf course, period.

Daufuskie is a great golf trip, either course, 18 or 36.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

i have been vacationing to hilton head for quite a while (over a decade) and here is my compiled list of favorite courses:

Long Cove - never have gotten on, however my dad has played when i was too young and said it was his favorite course on the island.

Harbour Town - I liked it for the sole fact that The Heritage is played there. Beautiful 3 finishing holes, i LOVED 17. In all honesty, it is a bit overpriced.

Arthur Hills - Palmetto Dunes - tough golf course, I believe it is the toughest on the Island from the tips.

Hilton Head National - You really can't beat it, especially with youngsters. If you are (or if your kid) is under the age of 18, they pay their age. I.E. - 16 year old's greens fees is 16 bucks. This is the one course we continually go to each year.

Golden Bear - Not looking to beat yourself up with tough courses? Golden Bear is perfect, wide open fairways, fair greens, and a beautiful layout. Great job Jack Nicklaus for putting this track together.

Those are a few of my favorites, but in all honesty you cannot go wrong really at all with golf and Hilton Head. All the golf courses there are really fun, relatively inexpensive (harbour town is another story) but you cant beat the golf in hilton head. If i had to say stay away from one resort, it would probably be Shipyard.

I played Palmetto Dunes last month - Arthur Hills one day and Fazio the next. Arthur Hills has no fairway bunkers but lots of water and is a great layout that requires position golf. Fazio is a little more open but has lots of sand everywhere. Very good conditions and service and the rates were not too bad. I had called over to Sea Pines plantation where I played many years ago but the rates there were too high for my taste.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I have a place down there and pretty often.

Best track: Long Cove, great Dye layout. Has a great combo of wide open and tight driving holes. You will use every stick in the bad. In good shape and very remeberable.
Next is Harbour Town. Back nine is unreal. Plus the pros play it and you remember your round while you watch it on tv.
Golden Bear. Nicklaus course, cheap and lots of fun.
Arthur Hills is a lot of fine. Lots of rolling hills but nice layout. Great staff and def best in Palmetto Dunes. Trent Jones I would rather save my money and play Hilton Head National. Fazio has 5 great holes, the rest are forgettable. Not a great facility, too much sand and not in great shape.
Great course but hard to get on: Colleton River, 2 great courses, same with Belfair

Have fun..