Golf Galaxy; "Everything for the game..."

DoubleCup

...except a 2 Iron!!!
So I decide to get a Bridgestone J33 CB 2 Iron for my set. I go over to my local Golf Galaxy, who sells the irons, and ask about ordering one (nobody stocks 2 irons anymore). I ask a sales guy how much it would be....he looks puzzled for a second and says "We'll have to call Bridgestone." I wait around the store for 15-20 minutes while it appears every employee including the manager get involved in trying to find out what to do. They finally come back to me with "We can't get you a 2 iron." "Why?" I ask. "It's a special order, and we're not allowed to special order from this store." "But you sell these irons!!" I say. "Very sorry Sir, we don't have a special order account. You have to go to a different Golf Galaxy store that has this..."

Amazing....

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Golf Galaxy B. S.

There was another thread here about Golf Galaxy's dedication to having the worst customer service in the industry. Yours is one more example.

I would have been shocked if they did actually get you anything you wanted. The staff there are chosen for their lack of motivation to be helpful in any way whatsoever.

There probably wasn't enough of a commission on special ordering you the 2-iron otherwise they probably would have just called the rep.

I'm surprised that instead of telling you they can't order it, they didn't try talking you out of it. The staff at my local GG are so arrogant that if I would try to get a 2-iron through them they would probably spend all afternoon telling me I suck too badly to hit one and that I should buy a $400 7-wood from them instead.

So many horror stories about that place, why even go back?

I went in there last weekend and asked them if they carried the nickent hybrids and everyone looked dumbfounded and didn't even know what they were. Then I wanted to have my driver regripped so the guy cuts off the old grip and just puts the new tape over the old. Told him I didn't want it that way so then it takes him 15min to strip both the old and new tape. Then I ask him to get the swingweight so he just puts the driver on the scale and doesn't even balance it and says it's a D4. What a joke!!

Do they hire people that know anything about golf or that just need a job? You won't see me back at that place.

i used to go to golfgalaxy all the time, now i rarely ever go there. If i do go there its just to use their sims/LM's...I prefer 2ndSwing in every way except the fact they have no simulator...If they'd just invest some money on a sim/LM more people would go there because you can actually get a readout on performance instead of "o yea this feels good in the net". Still 2ndSwing has way better trade values and they have a good selection of used clubs and also some of the latest new.

I can top any of your stories regarding Golf Galaxy......

Most of on this site like to refer to ourselves on occassion as "club ho's", and I am sure many of you do what I do....see the latest, greatest product, want to give it a try thinking it might give you that little extra edge, and thus trade in older clubs in an effort to reduce your cash outlay. On occassion, I will purchase a product, reconsider, and decide it's not for me after all, and return /exchange the product. It's like our own little hobby, and many of the big shops (most notably Edwin Watts when I lived in Florida) make a lot of money off of me and others like me.

Finding myself living in areas without much selection as far as golf stores go, I ended up shopping at Golf Galaxy. After a few months of my regular activity, I receive a phone call from someone in their corporate office advising me that I am making unauthorized exchanges (I had taken in a couple of unused clubs that were not bought at Golf Galaxy, but as per their store policy, the manager took them in for same day store credit only) and that my account (they track you through their Club memberships) was showing significantly too much activity.

In effect, the gentleman (for Golf Galaxy employees on this site, I will not name him, but he is in your corporate office and has a first initial of M) implied that I was returning / trading in stolen equipment in their store.

He also proceded to tell me that any returns or trades must be run directly through him for approval, or that I should take my business elsewhere. I was so shocked by his comments that I neglected to tell him to go @#$% himself. But I did decide that he had just lost a good customer.

Had he checked his records more closely, he would have found literally thousands of dollars in purchases from his store (I bought a few sets of irons outright over the course of several months). I also can assure you that these stores do not operate on low margins....ask an employee what their cost is on a set of irons.

So after having not shopped in their store for the past six months, I stopped in to pick up a wedge two weeks ago. I played golf the next morning (forgot to put the wedge in the bag) and had the chance to hit my playing partners driver. Liked it so much, I went back to Golf Galaxy that afternoon, returned the wedge ($99 with a receipt) for credit toward a $399 driver.

I leave for vacation in Florida, and on Wednesday there is a voice mail from this idiot stating that he has seen activity on my part and that we had agreed that any transactions would be run through him for approval. He then states that unles I honor this agreement (which I never agreed to, by the way) I should shop elsewhere.

Obviously, I will be shopping elsewhere because this guy is a complete moron. The guys in the two stores I have shopped at seem to have good knowledge, so my issue is a little different than those previously described.

So from now on, I will visit Golf Galaxy to look at new equipment, hit it in their cage and their swing analysis equipment while tying up time with their sales people, find the best product for me, and leave their store to go home and order the product from Edwin Watts or TGW.

And by the way, I am not trying to buy a game (played to scratch for several years, and at the age of 50 am playing to around a 2). I just enjoy buying and tinkering with my game.

But part of my fun from now on will be bad-mouthing this joke of a company to every serious, and even non-serious golfer that I possibly can. Obviously, based on comments on previous posts, the guy I dealt with has done traing in some of the stores based on everyone elses experience on this site.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 10K 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 7 wood 21 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping Blueprint S  4 - PW Dynamic Gold 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM10 50-08F, 54-10S, 60-12D

Odyssey Ai-One 2-Ball

Titleist Pro V1

I have just read these several post, and my dad and I used to go there, and now we barely even step foot in there. And it is because one of the managers, was very rude to me. (and I am the daughter).

My dad and I used to always go there almost every week (maybe even 3 times a week) and my dad, like most people, he would go there to maybe demo drivers, and look at their putters and look at the latest irons.

Now this one time, he was talking with one of the managers which he always talked to. I was getting kinda bored, so I went to their shoe section, to sit down and wait for him to finish up (and I usually did that everytime). Now I was just sitting there, and one of the manager (which I will NOT name but I know that his first initial is a D) walked by. I politley waved at him with a smile. And you know what he did? He ROLLED his eyes for NO ABSOLUTE REASON.

I told my dad this, and he said that what he did was just plain rude. And I guess this is the whole reason, that we don't go there much.

Sometimes we go there, and my dad will talk to his favorite manager (who was VERY nice by the way :idhitit: ) and he would just try their drivers out. But that is like once every 2 months.

federerfan,

Hey im from Akron and i know exactly what u are talking about the Golf Galaxy there is horrible...can't believe that i actually wanted to work there when it opened glad im not now. i have been into your 2nd swing and only have good things to say about the store...the people that work there actually have an idea about what they are talking about...only if they could find a lh titleist pt 13, i went in there the other day and they couldnt one across the whole nation, makes sense tho b/c its a rarer club...keep up the good work though and mabye golf galaxy will go out of business

JDZ

tgw.com has the j33 cb 2-iron. it will probably be quicker to order from there then a local store.

i've had limited experience with golf galaxy. they did help me find a new shaft for my sasquatch by using the callaway optifit system, granted at firt they had me hitting into a net with no launch monitor or simulator, but i told them that wasn't going to work for me. ironically enough, the shaft that the club fitter and the pro recommended and said i did the best with just hitting into the net was the one that the launch monitor proved to be the best and is currently in my sasquatch. they also did a good job with the reshaft and i haven't had any problems with it yet. on the flip side, while looking for a hybrid one day it took 15 minutes for a sales rep to even ask if i needed help and when i asked if they had the slingshot tour hybrid he told me the slingshot hybrids weren't out yet, and the tour model was for the tour only. this is the same slingshot tour that i demoed at golfsmith the week before, the same slingshot tour that i bought the next day at edwin watts. i was pretty excited to find out golfsmith and edwin watts carry "tour only" equipment.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

The only positive, in the winter months, Lumpy putts at the one in Plymouth!!!

Hey, I just Google Earthed (a new verb) Plymouth last night checking out my old neighborhood where I grew up.

There is a Golf Galaxy in Salt Lake City that I've only been to a few times. I prefer Uinta Golf or UtahGolf.net which is run by a husband and wife. Great service and no pushing you to buy something.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Typical Golf Galaxy B. S.

There was another thread here about Golf Galaxy's dedication to having the worst customer service in the industry. Yours is one more example.

i dunno...edwin watts has some pretty bad ppl. i was at one and while i was waiting to pay there were four employees, three of them women, bickering about someone working overtime and not gettin paid for it. meanwhile i had to sit around and flaunt the money around to get their attention.

Im not trying to rag on you or anything like that, but im really not seeing things from your point of view.

Now, we dont have any Golf Galaxy's in washington, so I can go only by what im reading here. But it sounds like what they did makes complete sence to me.

They SELL the IRONS!!!! I even pointed them out on the wall!! LOL!!

They sell the 3-pw, not the 2 iron. A 2 iron nowadays is a "add on", an "extra commodity", a seperate item. Very few people want a 2 in the bag. Why carry them in the stores? Store fronts are ment to sell items in high quantity that are in high demand.

"It's a special order, and we're not allowed to special order from this store."

Thats completly understandable.

Its the same idea if you wanted to buy a 6* driver. Sure they may have the same driver in other lofts right next to you in the store, but because its a special order they cant get it.

A 2 iron nowadays is a "add on", an "extra commodity", a seperate item. Very few people want a 2 in the bag. Why carry them in the stores? Store fronts are ment to sell items in high quantity that are in high demand.

Correct...

Its the same idea if you wanted to buy a 6* driver. Sure they may have the same driver in other lofts right next to you in the store, but because its a special order they cant get it.

...Incorrect. There's quite a big difference between a tour-only, custom 6* driver and a retail iron that is mass-manufactured, marketed, and sold by an OEM. A 6* driver doesn't even exist in the retail world, at least not amongst the major OEM's. The J33 CB 2-iron, however, can be found on B-stone's website and is able to be ordered (or should be) by any retailer with a B-stone account. Saying you can't special order a special order is a bit of a contradiction, no? The family-owned shop I work at doesn't even stock Bridgestone clubs (just the balls), but we have an account with them and if someone walks in off the street and wants a J33 2-iron we place the order and get them their club. A 6* driver, however, we can't order from any of the OEM's. Special order just means that it's probably impractical to regularly stock a certain club, but that the club IS available to be ordered.

Vapor Pro 9.5° Aldila Tour Green 65 TX
VR Pro Ltd 15º Fubuki Tour 73 X
Idea Proto 20º X100
Vapor Pro Combo (4-5) Blade (6-PW) C Taper 130 X
RTX 4 Raw 52°|56º|60° DGTI S400
Byron Morgan 006 Stainless

...Incorrect. There's quite a big difference between a tour-only, custom 6* driver and a retail iron that is mass-manufactured, marketed, and sold by an OEM. A 6* driver doesn't even exist in the retail world, at least not amongst the major OEM's. The J33 CB 2-iron, however, can be found on B-stone's website and is able to be ordered (or should be) by any retailer with a B-stone account. Saying you can't special order a special order is a bit of a contradiction, no? The family-owned shop I work at doesn't even stock Bridgestone clubs (just the balls), but we have an account with them and if someone walks in off the street and wants a J33 2-iron we place the order and get them their club. A 6* driver, however, we can't order from any of the OEM's. Special order just means that it's probably impractical to regularly stock a certain club, but that the club IS available to be ordered.

You have to take the 6* driver with a grain of salt, it was meant only as an example. For the sake of this argument, you have to assume that they are mass produced and not tour only.

The J33 CB 2-iron, however, can be found on B-stone's website and is able to be ordered (or should be) by any retailer with a B-stone account.

Thats the key. It sounds like this store doesn't have an account. They said "It's a special order, and we're not allowed to special order from this store." That tells me this specific Golf Galaxy has no account set up with Brigestone.

Or another option would be that this store does have an account with Bridgestone, but due to company policy they cant special order. Which would make this whole argument valid :idhitit: .

It also sounds like they all were trying to help solve this problem.

"I wait around the store for 15-20 minutes while it appears every employee including the manager get involved in trying to find out what to do."

They wanted to help the customer, and fulfil his request for the two iron. If I was the customer, that would make me pretty happy. It would tell me i'm important enough for them to spend all this time trying to help. In my book, customer service is # 1. Since they all did their best to help me out, I would be very happy regardless if I got the club or not. That would warrant me coming back to the store again.

I can also add a story to the line of reasons golf galaxy is a place I avoid. I took my set in for the yearly regrip in the spring after seeing the 24 hour turnaround guarantee. Upon checking out I'm told by a manager that it will be a couple of days. I made mention of the 24 hour guarantee and was told that it's a busy time and that's the way it is. Quite the guarantee. An email to customer service later and I get a phone call from the same manager the next day telling me the clubs are done and that I was only charged the cost of the grips. I must say I was surprised at the customer service..... that came from the coporate customer service center. Why couldn't a manager at the store make that sort of decision? Needless to say picking up the clubs was rather awkward since someone got there hand slapped from corporate to make this happen. I have, like many others on this site, refused to purchase anything from GG again. Granted the Customer Service Dept came through in the end. The level of service at the store itself without Big Brother watching leaves something to be desired.

I love the irony of guys who only go to big box stores 'to demo their equipment', make their purchases somewhere else - then complain about the quality of the employees or poor customer service....

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I think Golf Galaxy also orders everything from their warehouse so they may have to go through some other directions to get a special order. I really dont know but our sales reps say that they get everything from a home office. I know we would have one in one of our 60 stores. I would have told you that one would be in the store in 1 to 4 days.

Mantan makes a really good point. Its kinda like Voting, if you dont vote you cant complain about who is in office.

I love the irony of guys who only go to big box stores 'to demo their equipment', make their purchases somewhere else - then complain about the quality of the employees or poor customer service....

[uNQUOTE]

Most of the stories in this thread are by people who made a transaction or intended to make a transaction with GG, don't see how your comment relates to the original post in this thread.

drstroud, I live in the slc area too. I love Uinta, they are my all time favorite store. The Golf Galaxy here is not bad but Uinta is the best. I never heard of the other store you mentioned.

Utahgolf.net is run by Brent Wooten, a PGA Pro and is located in Springville. With Uinta coming to Orem, I'm afraid it may reduce his sales and close him down. He is great to buy clubs from and demo them free of charge.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400