2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Steve Duemig - the guy on Grey Goose 19th

Furrankee

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never watch the show, but turned on TGC this morning and saw him ranting on Michelle Wie.

I was thinking "Who is this sloppy guy?" And that other guy who looks like Tim Meadows from Saturday Night Live seems terrified when reading a telepromter.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Well, I have to say that I like him, mainly because he has some very similar outlooks compared to my own.

Example: Michelle Wie

He never said that he doesn't like Michelle Wie, as a matter of fact he said that he does like her. He did say though that she had "no chance" of making the cut in the qualifier. He and I agree in the idea that Michelle is a phenomonal player. But she has said several times that she wants to play with, and beat the men. I just want her to play on the LPGA and win there before she plays on the PGA, and ultimately prevents another member of the PGA tour from competing. I like Michelle Wie, and have a great deal of respect for her. But lets reverse roles. What would happen if a regular member of the PGA went to the LPGA? I'm betting that the golf world would roll over, and all kinds of dissapproval would be given. IMO that is the reason for the 2 tours, and I want to stress, I have nothing at all against M. Wie, or the LPGA at all. I enjoy watching the LPGA, and all this is JMO in agreement with Steve Duemig.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Head Golf Professional @ Peninsula Golf Resort, KY[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon & UST Mamiya Staff Member[/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z565 9.5*, UST Mamiya Elements Prototype 7F5T[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon ZF65 15. UST Mamiya ATTAS T2 8X[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon U45 19*, UST Mamiya iRod 85F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Srixon Z765 3-PW. UST Mamiya Recoil Prototype 125 F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey TVD 52/58 M-Grind, UST Mamiya Wedge Proto F5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2, Frequency Filter shaft[/font]

He definately has a certain "edge" to his style and personality, and it can drive you totally nuts if you hold the opposite opinion. The one thing I will give him tons of credit for is that he is willing to get up and state what many consider the dissenting opinion on a matter. For example his comments on the 19th hole last night regarding Michelle Wie and the Canoe Brook sectional qualifier. He is totally correct that Canoe Brook and the USGA did a terrible job of running that sectional. Knowing full well that the crowds would be everywhere, the USGA had an obligation to the other competitors to ensure that the event was run in a decent manner, with adequate crowd control, etc. And that didn't happen.

I am sure the USGA was enjoying all the attention given to its top event due to the fact that Michelle Wie was trying to qualify for it. Major media outlets were discussing the US Open before Memorial Day, which is unheard of. And I am sure that it wasn't a mere fluke that the local qualifier that Michelle played in was slated to tie to the sectional at Canoe Brook, in a major media outlet, close to the previous weeks PGA Tour event and just a couple of hours from this weeks LPGA major. The USGA may not know what to do with a good golf course when it sees it, but it sure as heck knows how to get the most free media attention for itself.

And as much as I am sure I'll be crucified for this statement, I also agree with him when he says its time for her to EARN her spot if she wants to play with the men. Go Monday qualify. Hell, go to Q school. If you think your game is good enough to play with the men, then go do it, instead of just this endless string of failed attempts on sponsor invites.

There are times where I disagree with Duemig, don't get me wrong, but I think too often his valid points get lost in the way they are delivered or overshadowed by the viewer's personal dislike of his other opinions or general style.

Zero intelligence, that's how I see him. The problem with the fat slob and the Golf Channel at large is they seem to think they need a loudmouth show because it works for the Tampa Bay area for sports talk radio. The TGC audience is getting treated like idiots. The guy is so loud and obnoxious he kills the message before he even has a chance of making a point. It's not like anyone with power in the industry would ever take that guy seriously. So railing on the USGA and Canoe Brook would accompish what??? I won't even get started on his embellished resume and lies.

I guess TGC is stuck in a contract or too cheap to get real talent.

TGC is having some serious growth problems. How can the PGA Tour take these guys seriously?

Memo to TGC, hire some real television executives, perhaps steal some people from ESPN who know how to grow a network with some class.

But then again, it is golf and does the sport really need a 24 hour golf channel? Great sport to play, fun to watch sometimes, interesting to chat about sometimes, but a 24 hour channel??? I can see not every show will appear to everyone, but jeez, don't sacrifice production quality.

Zero intelligence, that's how I see him. The problem with the fat slob and the Golf Channel at large is they seem to think they need a loudmouth show because it works for the Tampa Bay area for sports talk radio. The TGC audience is getting treated like idiots. The guy is so loud and obnoxious he kills the message before he even has a chance of making a point. It's not like anyone with power in the industry would ever take that guy seriously. So railing on the USGA and Canoe Brook would accompish what??? I won't even get started on his embellished resume and lies.

I guess TGC is stuck in a contract or too cheap to get real talent.

TGC is having some serious growth problems. How can the PGA Tour take these guys seriously?

Memo to TGC, hire some real television executives, perhaps steal some people from ESPN who know how to grow a network with some class.

But then again, it is golf and does the sport really need a 24 hour golf channel? Great sport to play, fun to watch sometimes, interesting to chat about sometimes, but a 24 hour channel??? I can see not every show will appear to everyone, but jeez, don't sacrifice production quality.

I agree on all counts here.

I'm not a fan of Dumeig at all. However, I also don't like Jim Rome, and other obstinate sports "shock" jocks.

The premise of 19th hole is great, like PTI for golf. However, PTI has what 19th hole lacks, stars with charisma and chemistry. I could watch Kornheiser and Wilbon go at it all day, they're funny, smart, and they have just the right mix of humor and knowledge that makes the show great to watch.

I too am worried with how TGC will cover the PGA Tour. They have a difficult enough time doing the job on the nationwide tour. Jerry Foltz has got to go. Seems like a nice guy, but has all the personality of a boiled tunrip and is CONSTANTLY tripping over his words.

Like most things in life you've got to spend money to make money, and I don't think TGC's going to do either with their coverag of the Tour next year :crazy:

I don't like him. Seems to me he's trying to make a name for himself by always taking the objectional side of the story, not matter what the story is. Wasn't he on the first or second Big Break?

Charles Davis on the otherhand is great. I've seen him in Fayetteville before when he worked the Jefferson Pilot Southeastern Conference College Football games. I think he covers the ACC games now or another conference altogether.

When Jim Valvano's brother Bob? fills in, the show fits together and runs more smoothly in my opinion. I wish they would get rid of Duemig and get the Valvano guy from ESPN on full time.

I agree with the above statements and I look for a total revamp of TGC next year as they start to cover the PGA Tour.

I wonder if they will try to hire any of the USA guys away. Fran Charles would be a good fit for TGC. As much as I hate to say it, so would the other guy on PGA Tour Sunday, the writer from Golfweek or GolfWorld. Whatever his name is.

I don't like him either. While I agree with him on some counts, his delivery is abrasive, arrogant and he comes accross as very defensive of his views.

Charles, on the other hand, is a class act all the way. Articulate, charming and intelligent. He can be a little too "pc" sometimes, but he has to play that role with the big-headed Steve always playing the loudmouth role.

I listen to SD every day on local sports radio here in Tampa. I listen to sports talk all day (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.), and SD is definitely one of the more brash personalities. He makes Jim Rome sound like a choir boy. That said, I agree that he can sometimes offend people with his delivery, but I do commend him for saying what's on his mind. The 19th Hole wouldn't work if you had 2 Charles Davis', would it? Imagine this type of show:

CD - "I think Michelle Wie deserves a couple of PGA Tour sponsor's exemptions."

SD - "Yes, so do I. She's a great talent and will bring a huge audience."

How boring would that be? :crazy:

SD must be doing something right. He holds the 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. slot on sports radio, and is on a Golf Channel show that's been running for at least a few seasons. It might not be your cup of tea, but it works for the ratings, or TGC would pull the show.

I listen to SD every day on local sports radio here in Tampa. I listen to sports talk all day (8 a.m. to 6 p.m.), and SD is definitely one of the more brash personalities. He makes Jim Rome sound like a choir boy. That said, I agree that he can sometimes offend people with his delivery, but I do commend him for saying what's on his mind. The 19th Hole wouldn't work if you had 2 Charles Davis', would it? Imagine this type of show:

SD must be doing something right. He holds the 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. slot on sports radio, and is on a Golf Channel show that's been running for at least a few seasons. It might not be your cup of tea, but it works for the ratings, or TGC would pull the show.

Lets put it in perspective, TB is barely in the top 20 of radio markets. No one cares. Of course 19th hole wouldn't work with two CDs, but that does not mean you have to have a loudmouth boor on the opposite side. Does this guy represent the golf you want?

SDs schtick will run its course and then he will be off TGC. He's already peaked. He tried to get his radio show national and was rebuffed twice. He barely toes the line with Clear Channel and as soon as his radio ratings slip just a bit, he'll be gone.

And we're still waiting for him to make good on his guarantee that a major story will expose Phil Mickelson's gambling problems. Duemig's a fool.

Lets put it in perspective, TB is barely in the top 20 of radio markets. No one cares. Of course 19th hole wouldn't work with two CDs, but that does not mean you have to have a loudmouth boor on the opposite side. Does this guy represent the golf you want?

SDs schtick will run its course and then he will be off TGC. He's already peaked. He tried to get his radio show national and was rebuffed twice. He barely toes the line with Clear Channel and as soon as his radio ratings slip just a bit, he'll be gone.

And we're still waiting for him to make good on his guarantee that a major story will expose Phil Mickelson's gambling problems. Duemig's a fool.

TB might not be in the top 20 radio markets (which is totally beside the point here), but SD still holds a spot on a nationally televised golf talk show. He did something right to earn that spot. Do you live in Tampa and listen to him every day, or are you passing judgment solely based on what you see on TGC?

It seems his ratings must be doing just fine because I've been listening to him for at least 6 or 7 years. I guess the Clear Channel guys are really trying to get rid of him for bad ratings?????

Listen, I'm not a SD honk, but rather stating my opinion with regard to his ability to say what's on his mind, like it or hate it. I personally don't want to listen to someone on the radio who simply reads headlines from a newspaper. And I don't want to watch a t.v. talk show where the hosts repeat each other. If I wanted to watch boring talk shows I'd stay home with my wife and watch Martha Stewart, The View, or Oprah.

TB might not be in the top 20 radio markets (which is totally beside the point here), but SD still holds a spot on a nationally televised golf talk show. He did something right to earn that spot. Do you live in Tampa and listen to him every day, or are you passing judgment solely based on what you see on TGC?

It seems his ratings must be doing just fine because I've been listening to him for at least 6 or 7 years. I guess the Clear Channel guys are really trying to get rid of him for bad ratings?????

Listen, I'm not a SD honk, but rather stating my opinion with regard to his ability to say what's on his mind, like it or hate it. I personally don't want to listen to someone on the radio who simply reads headlines from a newspaper. And I don't want to watch a t.v. talk show where the hosts repeat each other. If I wanted to watch boring talk shows I'd stay home with my wife and watch Martha Stewart, The View, or Oprah.

It is a thread on SD and 19th hole. He's an idiot on the show and he's a liar outside the show (it's well documented). Come on, the guy tells people he was on the PGA Tour and he never was!

Obviously, you are a SD honk (your word)...you live in Tampa...you have listened to him for 7 years. It's no big deal, I don't care if anyone is a fan, but let's be honest here, you can't tell me your criteria for liking the guy rests solely with the fact he speaks his mind??? There is a tone of being a homer, which is cool.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking issue with you personally. The board gets slow, so active posters run into each other. Obvioulsy, I am no SD fan. As a representative of TGC and golf, we couldn't do much worse.

It is a thread on SD and 19th hole. He's an idiot on the show and he's a liar outside the show (it's well documented). Come on, the guy tells people he was on the PGA Tour and he never was!

Obviously, you are a SD honk (your word)...you live in Tampa...you have listened to him for 7 years. It's no big deal, I don't care if anyone is a fan, but let's be honest here, you can't tell me your criteria for liking the guy rests solely with the fact he speaks his mind??? There is a tone of being a homer, which is cool.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking issue with you personally. The board gets slow, so active posters run into each other. Obvioulsy, I am no SD fan. As a representative of TGC and golf, we couldn't do much worse.

No problem. In all honesty, I'm a much bigger "honk" (BTW, that's a Jim Rome term) of the Ron Diaz and Ian Beckles morning show (10 a.m. to 12 p.m.) on the same sports radio network, 620 WDAE the Sports Animal. But, since I do live in Tampa and like most sports, I listen to SD since he has the slot from 3 to 7 p.m.

That said, I do have one question: If you are a "representative of TGC", then why don't you do something to get SD off the show or make recommendations for changing the format? Do you work at TGC in some capacity? Perhaps you can give us more insight into the ratings for The 19th Hole. Are ratings increasing, decreasing or steady?

As far as my being a homer, I think we should all support our local area, whether it's in buying locally when possible, supporting local sports teams, etc. I've lived in Tampa for 10+ years and do what I can to support the local area when possible.

Fuzzy words....I'm not a rep of TGC, SD being a show commentator is rep'g TGC and in a sense golf. When I think of golf, or sitting around at the 19th hole with friends and strangers chatting about golf, SD is not what I have in mind. And thats where TGC blows it.

I know SD's style works well for sports radio. Every station has to have a SD or you lose out.

All that aside, I agree, support your local markets and...

Grey Goose is a sucky vodka.....lol....

I agree with Demolition.

You know the reason I created this thread was because the latest Grey Goose 19th show had him ranting over the lack of security at the qualifier and how that could've affected the other golfers trying to qualify. Security this and security that, how they should've known better. And how she went to the NJ qualifier just for the media hype and to expose her logos on her shirt. All the while saying that he doesn't hate her, but that it's just not all about her. Here's the reason why I hate SD.

If the girl was a really attractive blond haired blue eyed girl, with the same game as Michelle and perhaps someone looking like an Ashley Judd, would he encourage what she's doing or not? Would you?

I agree with Demolition.

You know the reason I created this thread was because the latest Grey Goose 19th show had him ranting over the lack of security at the qualifier and how that could've affected the other golfers trying to qualify. Security this and security that, how they should've known better. And how she went to the NJ qualifier just for the media hype and to expose her logos on her shirt. All the while saying that he doesn't hate her, but that it's just not all about her. Here's the reason why I hate SD.

If the girl was a really attractive blond haired blue eyed girl, with the same game as Michelle and perhaps someone looking like an Ashley Judd, would he encourage what she's doing or not? Would you?

Well....now your throwing race into the mix and that's a whole different thing. In my opinion, even though I think SD is a big zero, I don't think he's racially motivated to make statements against Wie. I would like to think Charles would call him on that in a split second if he was.

He was on the Big Break 1 and flat out SUCKED. He claims to be a plus 2, but anyone who saw the show knows this is a total lie.

Steve Douchebag

Wow, tell us how you really feel. :crazy: :yahoo: As we all know, BBI was at best an experiment with this type of show and the contestants overall were horrible. Nobody from that show has done anything professionally as far as I know. In each subsequent series, the contestants and level of play have gotten better, but still nowhere near where it needs to be to play on the European Tour, Nationwide Tour, or PGA Tour.

That said, we all know SD is well beyond his prime. For pete's sake, he's 50+ years old, out of shape, and plays golf about as much as other working stiffs (maybe once a week). He smokes and drinks and sits behind a microphone for at least 4 hours a day. I'd play him all day with my 5 and his +2. In his prime, he may have played to a +2, taken a few bucks from Lee Janzen, and played some mini tour events, but that was years ago. He admits that on his radio show every time someone calls in and asks him about his professional career (which BTW was more of a club pro career).

Yes I think Steve is kind of dumb and I think he makes a complete fool of himself when they do their little final thought at the end of the show.

Next I have a question. Did the Grey Goose talk at all about the Elkington situation with the spikes? If so can you give me a brief description of what their thoughts were?

Now off the topic of Steve and the Grey Goose. Is everybody else in here a little concerned about TGC's coverage of next years PGA events and their poor on the course broadcasting?? I don't think I can handle Frank Nobilo covering a PGA tour event along with the other characters they have doing Champions Tour events and LPGA.. Do you guys think they will sign some big names to do their coverage of the PGA other than what they have? They would be fools not to try to pick up Azinger and Faldo from where they left off!!

Nathan

is it really necessary to call the guy a fat slob or a douchebag?? Real classy.

Yes, in this case it is.

He has called many people far worse in the limited (thank God) times I've has the mispleasure of hearing him.

He has no tact, class, respect, etc... He likes to make his "points" by yelling.

I try to reserve judgement on people, but Steve Duemig realy gets on my nerves. Looking at this thread I am definately not alone.