2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Michele Wie had her "B" Game and still finished top 5

will the members of the LPGA lashback?
I read in an article covering this last LPGA major, in an echo of Tiger Woods, and with a bit of youthful exuberance, Wie said, "I had my B game, and I'm still in the top five."

Do you think the members of the LPGA will be insulted the way the PGA was when Tiger made similar comments? I know Tiger was winning when he made that comment, but this is pretty close...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a huge fan like some in the media of Michelle Wie but I think that her statement is accurate. She made 3 bogies on Sunday inside 110 yards and missed a number of makable putts during the week. Unfortuantely, I'm not sure if you should be making comments like that when you havn't won on the tour yet, but I would have to agree with her assesment of her game at the moment.

I am not a huge fan like some in the media of Michelle Wie but I think that her statement is accurate. She made 3 bogies on Sunday inside 110 yards and missed a number of makable putts during the week. Unfortuantely, I'm not sure if you should be making comments like that when you havn't won on the tour yet, but I would have to agree with her assesment of her game at the moment.

Its not because she had her "B game". She has the shots, she's made the putts, we've seen it happen. She had no problem playing her way into contention. Pure and simple she failed to put it all together when it counted. Professional golfers don't miss greens from 100 yards with wedges in their hands unless they are busy quite frankly choking their a** off. And pros don't miss 18in. putts unless they are quite simply careless (Hale Irwin) or choking (Scott Hoch).

At best her comments are a poor excuse, and at worst a swipe at those who she probably shouldn't be taking shots at...Se Re Pak has how many professional wins and how many majors? Karrie Webb? Oh yeah, in the hall of fame already. They found a way to get it done and have proven it. Michelle Wie has won NOTHING professionally and virtually nothing as an amateur. When she has proven herself to have a game so far superior to the rest of the field, she probably has the right to make such statements, but until then she should really focus on just winning something, anything, instead of just making excuses.

I agree with you. Her comment should have been "This is a great opportunity for me and playing against allot of great players I didn't play my A game" She talks allot but hasn't backed it up. Tiger did.

Its not because she had her "B game". She has the shots, she's made the putts, we've seen it happen. She had no problem playing her way into contention. Pure and simple she failed to put it all together when it counted. Professional golfers don't miss greens from 100 yards with wedges in their hands unless they are busy quite frankly choking their a** off. And pros don't miss 18in. putts unless they are quite simply careless (Hale Irwin) or choking (Scott Hoch).

At best her comments are a poor excuse, and at worst a swipe at those who she probably shouldn't be taking shots at...Se Re Pak has how many professional wins and how many majors? Karrie Webb? Oh yeah, in the hall of fame already. They found a way to get it done and have proven it. Michelle Wie has won NOTHING professionally and virtually nothing as an amateur. When she has proven herself to have a game so far superior to the rest of the field, she probably has the right to make such statements, but until then she should really focus on just winning something, anything, instead of just making excuses.

I think she means, she was happy even though her game wasn't good enough to be in top 10. I don't think she meant any disrespect. She is only 16 yrs old ...

one person that ought to be playing better when W is in the leadergroup is Morgan Pressel.

To the contrary, Morgan Pressel just needs to play her own game and not worry who or who isn't in the field. She has played some decent golf when MW isn't in the field, but I think she gets a bit caught up in this rather contrived rivalry thing when Michelle is there. And unless its matchplay, Morgan shouldn't worry too much about what Michelle is doing. Play the golf course, not the leaderboard.

I'm not too worried for Morgan Pressel, she's at least won a significant am event, unlike Michelle and I am sure she will break through and be a consistant winner on the LPGA tour.

you guys are hilarious. You say MW has done NOTHING on the tour, that's just ridiculous. She has several top 3 finishes in the majors, I'd be willing to bet half of the LPGA field have never finished top 10 in a major.

As for the Morgan Pressel thing, she's a good player, but she is now eating her words and I'm sure it kills her to see MW nearly winning majors while she isn't even in contention. Fine the AM is an accomplishment, but there are plenty of AM winners that have done NOTHING as professionals. I don't necessarily buy that you have to learn to win in order to be successful on the tour. Nicklaus has more 2nd place finishes than anyone, you odn't hear people talkin trash about Jack...

you guys are hilarious. You say MW has done NOTHING on the tour, that's just ridiculous. She has several top 3 finishes in the majors, I'd be willing to bet half of the LPGA field have never finished top 10 in a major.

As for the Morgan Pressel thing, she's a good player, but she is now eating her words and I'm sure it kills her to see MW nearly winning majors while she isn't even in contention. Fine the AM is an accomplishment, but there are plenty of AM winners that have done NOTHING as professionals. I don't necessarily buy that you have to learn to win in order to be successful on the tour. Nicklaus has more 2nd place finishes than anyone, you odn't hear people talkin trash about Jack...

I said she has WON nothing professionally, and thats a 100% accurate statement.

Jack won a crapload, and then some more. No one talks trash about Jack because he proved he could win on the games biggest stages, he's the games all time leading winner in the number of majors. Thats why no one talks trash about him. Hell, his first professional win was a MAJOR. Your attempt at a parallel is "trash".

Oh and check out Jack's amateur record sometime. The man proved he could win at each level, much like Tiger did with his am career. There is a reason beyond superior physical talent as to why each of these men became the dominant golfer of their generation....its because they learned what it takes to be a winner.

My only problem with the B game comment is that this is becoming a recurring theme when she's trying to close out wins (women's tour/majors) or cuts (men's tour/Open qual). Monday she's right around the number to qualify for the men's US Open and makes 3 bogies in a row. Last major she needed to get up and down from just off the green to force a playoff and tries to finesse a wedge over a ridge and doesn't make the comebacker. Yesterday she attempts to play safe (not hitting driver) and misses the fairway anyway. US Women's Open last year she's right in the mix starting Sunday and shoots 82.

She can assign whatever letter grade she's like to yesterday's performance. BUT, she played about as well yesterday as she ever has when she's got a chance to win.

Pressel did finish 2nd in the US Women's Open last year (and if Birdie Kim's bunker shot doesn't hit the pin, she's likely in a playoff).

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

My only problem with the B game comment is that this is becoming a recurring theme when she's trying to close out wins (women's tour/majors) or cuts (men's tour/Open qual). Monday she's right around the number to qualify for the men's US Open and makes 3 bogies in a row. Last major she needed to get up and down from just off the green to force a playoff and tries to finesse a wedge over a ridge and doesn't make the comebacker. Yesterday she attempts to play safe (not hitting driver) and misses the fairway anyway. US Women's Open last year she's right in the mix starting Sunday and shoots 82.

She can assign whatever letter grade she's like to yesterday's performance. BUT, she played about as well yesterday as she ever has when she's got a chance to win.

Pressel did finish 2nd in the US Women's Open last year (and if Birdie Kim's bunker shot doesn't hit the pin, she's likely in a playoff).

Great point. Morgan's career best finish in a major is 2nd....hmm, I wonder what other teen sensation shares the same exact career best finish in a major?????

To the contrary, Morgan Pressel just needs to play her own game and not worry who or who isn't in the field. She has played some decent golf when MW isn't in the field, but I think she gets a bit caught up in this rather contrived rivalry thing when Michelle is there.

Rivalry? When Michelle is in the field, Morgan is usually found near the bottom of the leaderboard.

Head-to-head, Wie and Pressel have a rivalry like a Hammer has to a Nail.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

allow me to clarify, in no way was i comparing MW to Jack. The only point I was making was that she has a number of top finishes in the majors, which should be seen as an accomplishment in itself. You have to put yourself into contention before you can win, and MW has certainly done that. Especially considering she is still a teenager... It is damn hard to win a professional tournament with all of the talent out there. As she matures and learns the game, I have no doubt MW will be an incredible force to reckon with. Even number 1 Annika hasn't won this year, until last week Se Ri hasn't won a several years, just goes to show the talent at the professional ranks... If MW wasn't MW and 16 years old, people would be saying she is having a great career.

i don't understand why there's a problem when someone HONESTLY grades their performance according to an academic scale.....it's pretty much a universal standard that is easily understood regarding where something stands at a point in time. if she would've said she's at 80 percent efficiency right now (that's a B so there's confusion), how would it strike us or any of her competition??? mw is a lightening rod for controversy no matter what happens. the girl plays a part-time schedule, gets maybe 3 or 4 exemptions after that yet still finishes top 5 in a major. allow her to devote all of her time to golf, as all of the professionals she's up against do, and then we'll truly see what's up. it's just a game!!! let her play

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

My take,

Just another showing that Wie needs to focus LESS on qualifying for men's tourneys, etc, and putting her mental game together to win an event competing against her own gender. Once that is accomplished, then Game On.

She's got killer talent, great instruction, and tons of game. But mentally, has shown to only fold when the chips are on the line. She's a couple putts away from several wins.

I like all the new talent in the LPGA and the PGA. Its a great time to be a fan and watch!!

My take,

Just another showing that Wie needs to focus LESS on qualifying for men's tourneys, etc, and putting her mental game together to win an event competing against her own gender. Once that is accomplished, then Game On.

But mentally, has shown to only fold when the chips are on the line.

how much "mental game" do you truly think a 16 year old can have at this stage of their life???

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour

she and her people have turned her into a joke..

..how about some wins???? if she has no chance of being in contention to win she has no business being in the tournament. go home and stop embarrassing yourself.

we got tiger as an example of how a prodigy does it RIGHT. win. win. win. prove yourself at every level and then conquer the world.

if they'd give 25 sponsors exemptions to the best 14 year old boys in the country eventually one of them would make the cut. does it mean anything? no. come out when u can compete.

wake me up when she graduates from q-school or wins a couple on the nationwide. until then... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I think Se Ri Pak and Karrie Webb were there based on experience and the will to win major chmps. That's what define there careers now ... Annika made a strong push, but failed short ... EXPERIENCE is the KEY ..

MWie doesn't have that right now ... Course Management !!! She's only 16yrs of age and already have 5 top 5 finishes in Majors ... NOT BAD !!!

I think if she was to concentrate on the LPGA Tour (when she's fully exempt), she'll win some tourneys ...

It's just a matter of time ...

i don't understand why there's a problem when someone HONESTLY grades their performance according to an academic scale.....it's pretty much a universal standard that is easily understood regarding where something stands at a point in time. if she would've said she's at 80 percent efficiency right now (that's a B so there's confusion), how would it strike us or any of her competition??? mw is a lightening rod for controversy no matter what happens. the girl plays a part-time schedule, gets maybe 3 or 4 exemptions after that yet still finishes top 5 in a major. allow her to devote all of her time to golf, as all of the professionals she's up against do, and then we'll truly see what's up. it's just a game!!! let her play

I agree 100%. Besides, like Tiger, MW has so much appeal and one day she will win and win a lot IMO. Then, all the LPGA players can thank her for making them all rich with bigger purses, more public interest and certainly, more media coverage. I bet most of you never watched the LPGA until she came out.

Unlike Tiger who turned pro at an older age, MW's decision to turn pro at 16 may be a mistake as a lot of people are alluding to, but then again, it's very early to say whether she turned pro too early or not. In a couple of years, we will all know if the decision is right or wrong.

Callaway Epic Speed Driver 10.5*
Honma TR21 4 Wood 16.5*
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21*
Honma TW 717P Irons 5 to 10
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE Tour Rack Raw Wedges 48/10 and 56/10
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

My take,

But mentally, has shown to only fold when the chips are on the line.

how much "mental game" do you truly think a 16 year old can have at this stage of their life???

I hate jumping into the MW threads, but I will in this case. How many US junior am and amateur titles did Tiger win? Six! And in at least I can remember he was down something crazy like 3 with 4 to play and came back to win. Where did that experience come from for the mental game--playing junior tourneys.

And the problem with MW is that she's MW so the stories about her and her talents are the standard for her. I always say this about a first-year college head football coach that goes undefeated his first year--where is the bar now set? And what do people expect year in and year out when that kind of level is reached. Her reputation has preceded her and now she is compared with herself and no one else.

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

my $0.02 are that she needs to slow down and her parents/father need to stop "pushing" her - and yes, despite what's said publicly, i think she's being pushed hard by her father and consequently her "team".

win and win a lot on the LPGA...win and win a lot on the Nationwide...and only then, head to the PGA and try to win.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

TaylorMade Qi10 LS Copper 9° @ 8.25° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 4W 16.5° @ 15.75° & 6W 21° @ 20.25° Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

TaylorMade P•UDI 4i 22° Graphite Design Tour AD DI Hybrid 85S

Miura MB-001 Tournament Blade 5-PW Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 125S

Miura Series 1957 Y-grind 51° K-grind 56° @ 55° C-grind 59° True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Titleist Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec 33" 350g Flat True Temper YSC SmoothPistol 2010 Hula Girl

Titleist Pro V1 Vessel Sunday Bag 2.0

Great thread!!!! Great points being made!!! Devils Advocate time...I think she is at the level she is because she tries to play PGA Tour events. Although she missed the cuts, she learns valuable lessons just watching the guys play. Much like Annika learns from practicing with Tiger. I think that she is a remarkable talent for age 16. I agree with her, she played her "B" game. She read her own putts, played the shot she wanted to play and in this intance, came up short. Hypothetically, just imagine if she was 2-3 strokes better per round? She would have demolished the field!!! Then we would be talking about how crazy it is for a 16 year old to blow away the veterans!

That's just my $0.02...

Mike

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x #38

Great thread!!!! Great points being made!!! Devils Advocate time...I think she is at the level she is because she tries to play PGA Tour events. Although she missed the cuts, she learns valuable lessons just watching the guys play. Much like Annika learns from practicing with Tiger. I think that she is a remarkable talent for age 16. I agree with her, she played her "B" game. She read her own putts, played the shot she wanted to play and in this intance, came up short. Hypothetically, just imagine if she was 2-3 strokes better per round? She would have demolished the field!!! Then we would be talking about how crazy it is for a 16 year old to blow away the veterans!

That's just my $0.02...

Mike

2 or 3 shots a round is a ton. If Karrie Webb had been 3 shots better each day, she would have beaten Michelle by 13 strokes....13 strokes is a ton. 2 or 3 strokes a round at that level is the difference between being top 30 on the money list and living in your car and Monday qualifiying on the futures tour.

"would have demolished the field", etc. Well, no kidding. Would have being the key word. She is nowhere near 3 shots a round better than the rest of the field, and if you honestly believe that she is, you are seriously mistaken.

She is learning NOTHING from missing a crapload of cuts on various men's tours all over the land. She needs to learn how to win tournaments, not miss cuts, give a bunch of really bad interviews, and sign some autographs on the way to the bank to deposit her appearance fee. Playing Thursday and Friday is a world apart from the back 9 on Sunday. And so far all we have seen in crunch time is some pretty poor golf from Michelle. Hell, even if she were to somehow back her way into a field at a Nationwide event or something, she isn't going to learn thing one from making the cut on the number and getting to play with 2 unknowns at 7:40 on Saturday morning. She needs to play in events where she can at least contend and figure out if she has what it takes to be a winner, and if she doesn't figure out what she needs to do.

I hate jumping into the MW threads, but I will in this case. How many US junior am and amateur titles did Tiger win? Six! And in at least I can remember he was down something crazy like 3 with 4 to play and came back to win. Where did that experience come from for the mental game--playing junior tourneys.

And the problem with MW is that she's MW so the stories about her and her talents are the standard for her. I always say this about a first-year college head football coach that goes undefeated his first year--where is the bar now set? And what do people expect year in and year out when that kind of level is reached. Her reputation has preceded her and now she is compared with herself and no one else.

so now i have to ask.....why do we have to compare her to tiger or anyone else??? isn't this about the path she wants to take and the experience she'll gain from it??? just because she's taking a route no one has before doesn't mean it's a mistake. the fact that she can even compete on the professional level (male or female) is the first point. now throw in that she's 16 and not even coming close to embarrasing herself. to me, everything is about building her skill set. by the time she can fully devote her energy to full time practice and competition, she'll be able to draw on any number of these experiences from knocking heads with some of the best in the world. and i literally mean the world. there aren't very many who can pull that card

9* Synchron Revolver
14* Dynacraft Avatar
2-PW Titleist 690MB
56* & 60* Nike SV
Bobby Grace DCT Sunset
Innovex V Motion Tour