Golfshot app on iPhone 4

Anyone using it yet with iOS4?
My new iPhone 4 should be here next week, and I'm curious if anyone has used Golfshot with this phone. It looks like they've updated the app to take advantage of the new multitasking and background features in iOS4. I would be very interested in buying this app, as my current iPhone 3G does not have the juice to use GPS apps for a whole round.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3gs has plenty of power to get through a round. I'm jailbroken and have been running apps in the background for a while, it will run the whole round with no problem. Great app, stat tracking is really easy, and laid out in a nice graphical format. Yardages are pretty accurate. I recommend this app, for sure.

Aren't you guys worried about the constant knocking around, potential drops, surface scratches and exposure to water that your smartphones will inevitably experience if you are routinely using them on the golf course as a GPS? If you break them while under contract the buyout is pretty steep and usually way more than a dedicated golf GPS that is made to take a little abuse.

Also, regarding the battery. Even if you can get through an entire round on your battery, do you really want to have little battery life left on your phone by the end of your round?

Another thing that would bug me, do you really want to be bothered with calls, texts and email on the golf course (maybe you can turn that stuff off while golfing)?

Not criticizing your decision, but just kind of curious.

Regards

[quote name='Andy L' date='26 June 2010 - 09:37 AM' timestamp='1277563050' post='2537681']
Aren't you guys worried about the constant knocking around, potential drops, surface scratches and exposure to water that your smartphones will inevitably experience if you are routinely using them on the golf course as a GPS? If you break them while under contract the buyout is pretty steep and usually way more than a dedicated golf GPS that is made to take a little abuse.

Also, regarding the battery. Even if you can get through an entire round on your battery, do you really want to have little battery life left on your phone by the end of your round?

Another thing that would bug me, do you really want to be bothered with calls, texts and email on the golf course (maybe you can turn that stuff off while golfing)?

Regards
[/quote]

Hi Andy,

The $$$ start adding up, but I really love my iPhone and it's worth it to me.

I pay an extra $14.00 per month for insurance. It covers me for ANYTHING I do to it other than losing it.
I bought an external battery that doubles as a case. No problem getting through the round with >50% left when incorporating it. About $80.00.

So far so good. The biggest problem is there are so many really good programs for Golf GPS, it's tough to decide which one to use...

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

I actually use a Skycaddie 2.5 right now and have no complaints about performance... just the tiny screen. I've heard the new iPhone has a spectacular screen with very good detail. Compared to my 3G it will also have much better battery life. I think if any phone was gonna replace a dedicated GPS it would be this one, but that may be a stretch.

I never had a 3G so I can't compare, but I just got my iPhone 4, and purchased the Golfshot app based on recommendations here. I think it's great. The LA municipal courses take 6 hours to play, so with regards to battery life, I started at 80% and ended with 25%. I think the key is to turn off other apps. I kept it in my back pocket so it didn't interfere with my swing or putts. Another option is to put it in silent mode so you aren't bothered by phone calls.

Overall the app is very helpful and accurate. I was standing on a 75 yard marker and it read 78 yards. I think distance can vary by around 5-10 yards tho. On a 460 yard par 4, I reached the green in 2 with a "245" yard drive per Golfshot and a "200" yard hybrid approach shot. The remaining 15 yards was lost somewhere in there. Having reached the green I wasn't complaining.

Anyway, I'm giving Golfshot 2 thumbs up because I broke 100 for the first time using it. =)

[quote name='ttaylor0024' date='27 June 2010 - 05:58 PM' timestamp='1277679503' post='2540591']
Get golfcard. Its a truly great app. Here is their website: [url="http://senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html"]http://senygma.com/GolfCard/Home.html[/url] It is very well put together. Everything you could ask for and then some!
[/quote]

I'm very anxious to see the new version that will be released soon. There are several [b]REALLY GOOD[/b] GPS apps for the iPhone.

GolfShot
GolfCard
Airvue Golf
GolfLogix

and several more with a lot of potential!

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

Golfshots was the first app I purchased for my iPhone 4, but I'm not too sure about it after the first hole that I used it on. I LOVE my uPro, so I brought it along for a head to head comparison. On the first hole I held both devices in hand and selected a point down the fairway about 260 yards out. The uPro seemed great, but the golfshots app GPS aerial screen showed a distance about 12 yards shorter than the upro, AND golfshots ( iPhone) showed that I was moving pretty fast when in fact I wasn't. This was making the Gps reading even more off. Useless. I decided not to use golfshot's GPS function the rest of that round. I did use the score card and stats feature which is VERY cool.

Question...
What type of yardage variances are guys finding in tests with Golfshot on the iPhone?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' date='27 June 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1277691871' post='2541096']
Golfshots was the first app I purchased for my iPhone 4, but I'm not too sure about it after the first hole that I used it on. I LOVE my uPro, so I brought it along for a head to head comparison. On the first hole I held both devices in hand and selected a point down the fairway about 260 yards out. The uPro seemed great, but the golfshots app GPS aerial screen showed a distance about 12 yards shorter than the upro, AND golfshots ( iPhone) showed that I was moving pretty fast when in fact I wasn't. This was making the Gps reading even more off. Useless. I decided not to use golfshot's GPS function the rest of that round. I did use the score card and stats feature which is VERY cool.

Question...
What type of yardage variances are guys finding in tests with Golfshot on the iPhone?
[/quote]

Steve Jobs would say you're holding it wrong. :cheesy:

I haven't been able to play due to an injury, but I have been fooling with it for about 6 weeks. iPhone 3GS and several GPS apps. I have been consistently within 2 yards, unless there is a heavy cloud cover... I think in that situation I will have to break out the laser.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='27 June 2010 - 07:49 PM' timestamp='1277693377' post='2541150']
[quote name='finalist' date='27 June 2010 - 09:24 PM' timestamp='1277691871' post='2541096']

Question...
[/quote]

Steve Jobs would say you're holding it wrong. :cheesy:

I haven't been able to play due to an injury, but I have been fooling with it for about 6 weeks. iPhone 3GS and several GPS apps. I have been consistently within 2 yards, unless there is a heavy cloud cover... I think in that situation I will have to break out the laser.

Kevin
[/quote]

Sort of funny.. but that could be the problem although I have a case on the iphone, so it's not interference nor weather. I'll give it another shot just because if it works to within 2 yards that's the holy grail for me. Score card, stats, and satellite pics.
Also, the phone is great. the reception has been perfect in my area and the screen is unbelievable. Recording 720p HD swing videos and playing with the V1 app is great fun... I can see the club through the entire swing.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I have been playing with my buddies who own upro and other dedicated gps devices and laser finders over the last two years, and my experience is that Golfshot is very accurate. When comparing distances with my friends' devices, generally these devices all give the same distance, and if the distances are off, it is only different by 1-3 yards max.

I am not saying Golfshot is better than upro, but Golfshot is close. If price comes into consideration- no contest- Golfshot wins by a huge margin.

Mizuno JPX-900 | Fujikura Speeder EVO II 661
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 17*
Mizuno JPX-900 Hybrid 21*
Taylormade P790 (5-Gap)
Callaway MD3 (58, 54)
Taylormade Spider Tour

Update!

I took both my uPro and iPhone Golfshot out again today during lunch, and both devices were within two yards of each other. I did find the uPro located my own position better by about 2 yards when I zoomed in and located myself. I;m not sure what happened during the first trial, but the difference I found today of 2 yards is acceptable. I much prefer the screen and stats on Golfshots.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

[quote name='Andy L' date='26 June 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1277563050' post='2537681']

Regards
[/quote]
-it doesn't get knocked around...slides into my valuables pocket on my carry bag
-i never drop it...and if I do...I'll hit the fairway.
-I don't worry about scratching the screen cuz I use a sticky flat cellophane-like cover that is invisible...and if I scratch the back...who cares-it's a phone that gets replaced every 12 months or so.
-i don't get it wet
-if you follow the Golfshot instructions, you'll have around 50% battery after a 4-hour round.
-i shut down EVERYTHING else while I play golf...so no texts, calls, emails.

GOLFSHOT ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-

[quote name='sheldonjhacker' date='28 June 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1277761765' post='2542787']
[quote name='Andy L' date='26 June 2010 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1277563050' post='2537681']

Regards
[/quote]
-it doesn't get knocked around...slides into my valuables pocket on my carry bag
-i never drop it...and if I do...I'll hit the fairway.
-I don't worry about scratching the screen cuz I use a sticky flat cellophane-like cover that is invisible...and if I scratch the back...who cares-it's a phone that gets replaced every 12 months or so.
-i don't get it wet
-if you follow the Golfshot instructions, you'll have around 50% battery after a 4-hour round.
-i shut down EVERYTHING else while I play golf...so no texts, calls, emails.

GOLFSHOT ROCKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-
[/quote]

Glad it works for you guys. It's nice to have options. For me I'll stick with the dedicated golf GPS. I'm a little nutsy about my electronics.

I just got golfshot - it's great. I used it for 18 holes, although only digging it out when I didn't have a marker nearby. I did a lot of this for the 4 golfers in my group with my 3g (not gsadams had 55% left. Since I was drivig a cart I didn't have as much time to use it for statistics but I'm confident it will last a whole round if you follow directions.

I'll be using it a lot when I'm walking, which I normally do. The only thing missing from the statistics is a way to log shot distances by club.

Used it for a quick nine holes today, keeping it in "gps on" with powersave feature and lost only 30% battery. I kept it on the whole time and used it for scorecard and statistics. The powersaving mode keeps you locked into the satelitea but turns the screen off while walking to the ball.

I had ordered a battery case but don't think I'll need it

I have upgraded my 3GS to iOS4 operating system and the latest version of Golfshot and is working great. Worth pointing out that I had to restart the iphone to ensure Golfshot was working correctly.

I use it keeping the GPS on for the round and have never had any issues with running out of battery life, starting with 100% and using Golfshot as the scorecard as well as GPS device.

No problems with it and is a great app.

As other posters have said, following the guide on Golfshot website will leave you with more than enough battery life at the end of a round.

I was worried about using my Iphone when the wet weather was on the cards (quite likely in the UK) and so bought an AquaPac to put it in. The one sized for the 3GS Iphone is OK if you have no case or a smooth one - like the Power Support Air Jacket - but is too tight if you've got a bulky or silicone case. I clip the AquaPac to my bag using one of their caribiners and the mechanism makes it watertight. Stood up to the task very well in the couple of rounds I've played in the rain.

Really enjoying the app. For the price compared to a dedicated GPS unit, I can live with a difference of a couple of yards. The trick is to give the software a bit of time to settle down once you have stopped moving. By the time I've put my bag down by my ball, had a quick drink, sorted my glove out, it's ready to go.

[quote name='eastcoastboy' date='27 June 2010 - 01:46 PM' timestamp='1277675179' post='2540418']
I never had a 3G so I can't compare, but I just got my iPhone 4, and purchased the Golfshot app based on recommendations here. I think it's great. The LA municipal courses take 6 hours to play, so with regards to battery life, I started at 80% and ended with 25%. I think the key is to turn off other apps. I kept it in my back pocket so it didn't interfere with my swing or putts. Another option is to put it in silent mode so you aren't bothered by phone calls.

Overall the app is very helpful and accurate. I was standing on a 75 yard marker and it read 78 yards. I think distance can vary by around 5-10 yards tho. On a 460 yard par 4, I reached the green in 2 with a "245" yard drive per Golfshot and a "200" yard hybrid approach shot. The remaining 15 yards was lost somewhere in there. Having reached the green I wasn't complaining.

Anyway, I'm giving Golfshot 2 thumbs up because I broke 100 for the first time using it. =)
[/quote]

Harding course?

Had my first round today with my Iphone 4 and GolfShot. This app is simply stunning with the Ip4! :partytime2: I have about 50% battery left when we finished, which is a little better than my old 3G Iphone. Because of the Multi-tasking capability of IOS4, the app was running the entire time in the background when I wasn't actually using it. When I called it back from sleep there was ZERO lag on yardages! :partytime2: I was actually shocked how quick it was, even faster at giving me yardage than my Upro! Its like this app was built for the Ip4, my guess is that the app was pushing the envelope alittle with the 3G and 3Gs Iphone. It ran flawless with the IP4 .

Driver PXG GEN4 0811x (9) / Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White
Fairway:  PXG GEN4 (13) / 14.0 

Hybrid:  PXG 0317 X  PXG GEN4 (19) / Mitsubishi MMT 80
Irons:  PXG PXG GEN4 0311 P (4 - Pw) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Wedge:  PXG Sugar Daddy Forged (50/9, 54/10 and 58/9) / True Temper Elevate Tour 
Putter:  PXG Closer, 39.5" ArmLock
Ball:  Bridgestone B X
Bag:  PXG - Fairway White Camo Cary/Stand

[quote name='Bombn ' date='05 July 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1278310019' post='2555249']
Had my first round today with my Iphone 4 and GolfShot. This app is simply stunning with the Ip4! :partytime2: I have about 50% battery left when we finished, which is a little better than my old 3G Iphone. Because of the Multi-tasking capability of IOS4, the app was running the entire time in the background when I wasn't actually using it. When I called it back from sleep there was ZERO lag on yardages! :partytime2: I was actually shocked how quick it was, even faster at giving me yardage than my Upro! Its like this app was built for the Ip4, my guess is that the app was pushing the envelope alittle with the 3G and 3Gs Iphone. It ran flawless with the IP4 .
[/quote]

Can you give us an idea of the amount a data you used in the course of that round? I just picked up my iphone 4g last week, but I am not grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. I'd like to give Golfshot a try, but don't think it's worth it if 1-2 rounds will run through all my allotted network data for the month.

[quote name='rollingrock' date='06 July 2010 - 02:31 PM' timestamp='1278451879' post='2558174']
[quote name='Bombn ' date='05 July 2010 - 01:06 AM' timestamp='1278310019' post='2555249']
[/quote]

Can you give us an idea of the amount a data you used in the course of that round? I just picked up my iphone 4g last week, but I am not grandfathered into the unlimited data plan. I'd like to give Golfshot a try, but don't think it's worth it if 1-2 rounds will run through all my allotted network data for the month.
[/quote]

It uses very little data since it downloads all 18 holes at the beginning of the round. Once you download the course it's stored forever. I just looked up my data usage for the first 6 days of this month (I use a ton) and I'm only at 43 MB of the 2 Gigs. It's nowhere near the usage of streaming music on Pandora.

I can't say enough good things about this app. I would like to see yardages for the front and back of the green on the GPS map though. The stats are incredible. Have you guys checked out your stats after the round. There are numerous things to study.. very helpful info.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

[quote name='rollingrock' date='06 July 2010 - 05:31 PM' timestamp='1278451879' post='2558174']
[/quote]

[/quote]

from what I understand Golfshot uses the GPS chip in iPhone and does not use data, except during the initial downloading of course data.