Mini Coopers and Golf Clubs

eddiea54

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1279984915' post='2596240']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279943851' post='2595799']

I am a big car guy and don't find the mini that fun to drive. It all depends on what you are comparing it to I suppose and most who think it is fun or that 212hp makes a car fast simply haven't driven something really fast. Like everything in life, it's all relative. I have owned two sub 11 second cars, an SCCA solo racer, and quite a few other "fun" cars as well as some fun trucks. I say buy what you want and enjoy it, but don't expect everyone else to agree with your purchase.
[/quote]

if you don't mind me asking, where did you find faults with it? just the general lack of power?

I don't own one, but I've test driven them multiple times

I'd probably say my main complaints about the Mini would be the interior layout, and overall build quality/solidness. It's not fast, but the handling is where the fun comes in to me (I've driven plenty of fast cars, but still found the mini to be fun), I do judge a car more on it's handling than on it's power though.

I'd also have problems with the $$$ of the Mini, by the time you get one optioned the way I want it's 30 grand, and that's some competetive territory up in that price range
[/quote]

But that's the same with any car. The BMW 1 series started at $27,500, then when I built it the way I wanted it went up to $35k. My wife has a mini and has everything she wants realistically. John Works is the way to go if you want it all but the price must go up.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not kid yourself, it is small !! Brother has one, and with the rear seat
down, it is still a cramped fit with two cart bags. Love the car, blast to drive.
The easily fits four bags in the cooper comment, made me laugh !!
No matter how many bags you fit in it, Once the rear seat is down,
You will only carry two people, The driver and passenger!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279984594' post='2596236']
[quote name='mrhills0146' timestamp='1279977869' post='2596108']
Fun truck? Now there's an oxymoron. The only way a truck is fun (IMO) is if it's transporting a non street-legal motorcycle or a racecar.
[/quote]
I would put my old lightning up against almost anything as fun to drive and fast.
[/quote]

Fair enough. The SVT team did a great job w/ those - I still can't figure out how they made a truck with a solid rear axle and oh BTW no weight over that axle handle as well as it does! Those are d#mn cool trucks, even though I'm not a "truck guy." Try as I might, I can't see them as anything other than purely utilitarian, even though I know that's not true.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='eddiea54' timestamp='1278635995' post='2563698']
Recently ive been thinking about purchasing a Mini Cooper S. I know some of you guys drive them. I would like to know if your golf clubs fit well in the back. If they do it would be great! If you have anything else to say about the Mini Cooper's please do! Thank you! :D
[/quote]

A friend and I Have driven to a 4 day tournament the past two years in his Mini. 2 people, 2 sets of clubs, two small luggage backs and 2 carry-ons. You should see the looks and comments we get when we get out of the car and take all that stuff out at the hotel.

I am a bigger car ho than a club ho, and currently my waggon is the best car I have ever owned. I bought a E63 waggon about two years ago with 2,600 miles on it, and it is one of the fastest cars I have owned. Absolute blast to drive, and you would never know it will go 0-60 in 3.9 and 11.7 1/4 mile.

The guy who ordered it took european delivery and he upgraded the ECU's with AMG so all the rev limiters are gone, and he upgraded the HP to 550 from 505.

my girlfriend just bought a used mini and ive never fallen for a car so hard.

ive driven cars with 500+ hp, ive driven ferraris and M3's and several high end sports cars. ive owned an audi TT roadster (loved it) and currently own a honda S2000. i love small, quick cars and the S2000 is perfect. below 4000 rpm, its a tame street car. above 4k its an animal. its perfect.

and then i drove the mini. its not as fast. it doesnt handle as well. but my god i love driving it. its just really really fun. i live downtown in a major city, and cant say enough good things about the mini. ive taken it for golf trips with the buddies, and it will hold 2 golf bags no problem with the seats down.

people are going to have their preference in cars. you will never see me in a large SUV or pickup or any other gas guzzling monstrosity. i will never drive a mustang or camaro or corvette. i cannot identify with the drivers that do. but you give me a car that is small and light and nimble and practical and most of all just really fun to drive, and i will love it forever.

the end.

[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279985317' post='2596246']
I am a big car guy and don't find the mini that fun to drive. It all depends on what you are comparing it to I suppose and most who think it is fun or that 212hp makes a car fast simply haven't driven something really fast. Like everything in life, it's all relative. I have owned two sub 11 second cars, an SCCA solo racer, and quite a few other "fun" cars as well as some fun trucks. I say buy what you want and enjoy it, but don't expect everyone else to agree with your purchase.
[/quote]

if you don't mind me asking, where did you find faults with it? just the general lack of power?

I'd probably say my main complaints about the Mini would be the interior layout, and overall build quality/solidness. It's not fast, but the handling is where the fun comes in to me (I've driven plenty of fast cars, but still found the mini to be fun), I do judge a car more on it's handling than on it's power though.

I'd also have problems with the $$$ of the Mini, by the time you get one optioned the way I want it's 30 grand, and that's some competetive territory up in that price range
[/quote]
It can handle but ever since I first drove a car with 700+ horsepower I've been hooked on that feel. It's a different kind of fast, I've had and driven some light quick cars, but I personally have a lot more fun in something that has a lot more torque. I appreciate minis and have nothing against them just not for me. I'm sure some people don't like my current car and thats ok because for driving around the city I love it. And for the price I way rather have several other cars than a mini.
[/quote]

Todd, is that you:cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

I see everyone is talking about the BMW Mini Coopers, which isnt really a Mini Cooper at all :rolleyes:

Now the old Mini Cooper S, that was a car....though only enough room in the boot for about 4 dozen golf balls (out of the boxes). The backseat was just wide enough for my clubs to sit on...no room for passengers, unless they like clubs on top of them.

1994 Mini Cooper S 1.4i Stage 1 tuned, British racing green with white bonnet stripes and white roof, now that was a car! Though with the English weather a bottomless pit of repairs to rusting sills etc etc etc, but still, simply awesome!

My first car in High school was a 64 MG 1100 4 door sedan like a Mini Cooper. I always wanted a Mini and when they came out I got one and used it as a second play car and got rid of my Audi TT. It was too small I had to put the passenger side front seat forward and put the clubs in. So I used my other beater car for golf. Once the beater died I started using the Mini everyday but the choppy ride and lake of room started to take its toll. I didn't like my clubs being in full view and I had to take them out after every round and it was difficult to just go play after work when the mood struck me. So I decided to get something bigger that would fit my clubs and keep them out of view. I also wanted a small car as I've always had little perfromance cars. Got a VWGTI and couldn't be happier. It's a 2006 and has 65,000 miles, Next car will be the VW Jetta Coupe Hybrid when it comes out.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='rjklein4470' timestamp='1280023097' post='2597077']
I am a bigger car ho than a club ho, and currently my waggon is the best car I have ever owned. I bought a E63 waggon about two years ago with 2,600 miles on it, and it is one of the fastest cars I have owned. Absolute blast to drive, and you would never know it will go 0-60 in 3.9 and 11.7 1/4 mile.

The guy who ordered it took european delivery and he upgraded the ECU's with AMG so all the rev limiters are gone, and he upgraded the HP to 550 from 505.
[/quote]

How did you get an E63 wagon in the US? I love my 535XiT but that car looks like a beast!

[quote name='spring7' timestamp='1280187854' post='2600754']
[quote name='iteachgolf' timestamp='1279985317' post='2596246']
[/quote]

I'd also have problems with the $$ of the Mini, by the time you get one optioned the way I want it's 30 grand, and that's some competetive territory up in that price range
[/quote]
It can handle but ever since I first drove a car with 700+ horsepower I've been hooked on that feel. It's a different kind of fast, I've had and driven some light quick cars, but I personally have a lot more fun in something that has a lot more torque. I appreciate minis and have nothing against them just not for me. I'm sure some people don't like my current car and thats ok because for driving around the city I love it. And for the price I way rather have several other cars than a mini.
[/quote]

Todd, is that you:cheesy: :cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]

Ok, that's funny. He was/is on a couple car forums that I frequent.

Mini's are cool, I'd buy one.

The most "fun" car I've had so far has been my Evo.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, OP here. I took the plunge and bought a Mini Cooper S about 3 months ago. I love it!! Handles great, awesome acceleration. Rides a bit stiff, but what do you expect? I easily fit two sets of clubs and all the gatherings for a golf trip with my buddy the other day. Im glad I bought it. Thanks for all the comments, I had forgotten about this thread when it only had a few posts on it. I had no idea it was two pages long..lol.
:partytime2:

[attachment=691769:mini.jpg]