New Driver that want break down!

longdrive66

I have just currently cracked the welds of me r7quad driver and I am in the market for a new driver that will with stand a fast and hard hitting swing. I am currently training for long drive competitions and I will need a driver that will hold up to the test of time for at least a year or two. My history of problems have been caved in another R7 quad and two Titleist 983k drivers and snapped a couple of shafts also (with in the last two years).

Does anyone have any thoughts of a driver the could handle up to the presures of my swing. Some of the drivers that I was wondering about were the Cobra speed X or the XX. Also the Callaway fusion tour, or the AGT Aurora, and the SMT 455 drivers. I hoping some of you can give me more clarity and your opinion on this problem that I am having with drivers.

I am 21 and my specs for my swing is driver swing speed of 125 average and 6 iron swing speed of 110. Ball carry for the driver is 325 and 6 iron carry is 210. Ball speeds off the driver is 185 average. A smash average of 1.50 to 1.55. Also I play 4 times a week, train 4 times a week, and practice 1 to 2 hours for a least 2 to 3 days a week also.

My driver specs for the R7quad is:

Loft: 10.5

Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 757 X fles tipped 1" 0.350 tip.

Length is 44.5"

Weights: 10's in front and 2's in the back

To some that might not believe me and my specs. I do not care that you might think I am full of shet or think I am making this stuff up. I have heard it all so you do not have to give your two cent I REALLY DON'T CARE!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To echo Dyno's point...your post was rather juvenile. Where does your anger emanate from?

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson DP 3h HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball

I don't really see that post as that offensive. He is just trying to defend himself, preempting possible and likely distasteful comments, and he is not saying that he does not care about your opinion.

What he IS trying to say is that he does not care if you have a negative opinion about him or doubt that he really does swing that fast... which any forum has been known to snub someone who is apparently boastful.

Most importantly, what he wants, and indeed what all people want, is your opinion of the topic, NOT your opinion about him unless they are the same thing.

On the otherhand, sorry longdrive because I do not have much experience in the durability of driver faces.

Josh

NOTE: I am not taking either side. I am purely stating my interpretation of his comment so that this topic can serve its proper purpose and not the arena for a heated and fickle debating ground. If anyone wants to disagree with me, please PM me and not waste longdrive66's time.

You could train for a grammar contest too. :yahoo: I'm Sorry, that was below the belt. But if you are an athlete then you are used to a ribbing every now & then. :yahoo: JK dude.

If you crack the face welds on your drivers, then play a driver without welding. The fusion is made with a rubber bond, but they are a pain to reshaft. I have a ss around 120 & I have cracked a 975 L-FE, R7 tp & a Yonex Rekin Super II. All on weld spots high on the face. You might want to look at LD clubs such as SMT or alpha . You will also need to pick up about 25 mph in clubhead speed & you won't/can't swing around 150 mph with a 44.5" shaft. Get a 48 incher & you could have a chance @ 135 if you can keep the swing weight from getting out of hand. BTW the guys on the LDA are not humans. Good luck Longdriva66.

I don't really see that post as that offensive. He is just trying to defend himself, preempting possible and likely distasteful comments, and he is not saying that he does not care about your opinion.

What he IS trying to say is that he does not care if you have a negative opinion about him or doubt that he really does swing that fast... which any forum has been known to snub someone who is apparently boastful.

Most importantly, what he wants, and indeed what all people want, is your opinion of the topic, NOT your opinion about him unless they are the same thing.

On the otherhand, sorry longdrive because I do not have much experience in the durability of driver faces.

Josh

NOTE: I am not taking either side. I am purely stating my interpretation of his comment so that this topic can serve its proper purpose and not the arena for a heated and fickle debating ground. If anyone wants to disagree with me, please PM me and not waste longdrive66's time.

Not taking sides either, but I do have to echo tanj's point... sometimes people have a tendency to... ahhhhh... errrrrrr... cry foul without having ever met the person let alone see them hit a golf ball... instead of simply taking the person at their word and addressing their concern... my $.02 :yahoo:

i've had cobra's for the longest time and they have withstood the test of time, smt's crack on the crown, alpha reaction's a good head, bang golf are good heads, although with that ss you are going to be prone to cave heads/break shafts no matter what you hit, and if you hit as many balls as you say you do, it will be sooner than later to do the damage. I have same problem 135 ss, go thru shafts alot( broke 3 while qualifying one day, 2 were mine another was a fellow competitor's) thats why i carry more than 3 at a time, just got an xx speed and haven't been able to hit it yet outdoors(raining alot here lately) also need to put in a different shaft, fuji too weak, and as for people not believing your specs, so what, i had someone call me a liar, said i can only swing at 110-117 as he said he knew who i was and he did my fitting(was for new sticks and wanted me to slow down for more control for better scoring on the course)all i can say is you know what you can do and forget what everyone says! It's not unrealistic for extreme clubhead speeds, just not too many people can do it, just like not too many people can shoot par or better. it takes talent and if you got it flaunt it!

idrive400yards or other knowledgable SMT users can correct me here if I'm wrong but I believe that SMT offers lifetime warranties on all their clubheads. If you cave in the face or crack the crown during normal usage (while hitting balls) you can send it back to SMT and get a new replacement head for only the cost of shipping. You mentioned that you wanted a head that would last for a year or two so that SMT warranty might be most cost effective if you break one or more heads during that time frame. Good luck.

Rapture V1 10.5 BB
Rapture V1 14
G15 2,4,5,6 HY Recoil 95
G15 7-LW CFS
Karsten TR B60

idrive400yards or other knowledgable SMT users can correct me here if I'm wrong but I believe that SMT offers lifetime warranties on all their clubheads. If you cave in the face or crack the crown during normal usage (while hitting balls) you can send it back to SMT and get a new replacement head for only the cost of shipping. You mentioned that you wanted a head that would last for a year or two so that SMT warranty might be most cost effective if you break one or more heads during that time frame. Good luck.

SMT will even replace clubheads that were not damaged through normal use. If you want to see what the inside of hte club looks like you can cut it in half and they will replace it under warranty.

I think it would be hard to guarantee a clubhead will not break in the next 2 years under heavy usage by a high swing speed golfer.

Buying a head from a company like SMT will probably be your best bet. If you do cave in the face you can get a replacement for the cost of shipping.

I have just currently cracked the welds of me r7quad driver and I am in the market for a new driver that will with stand a fast and hard hitting swing. I am currently training for long drive competitions and I will need a driver that will hold up to the test of time for at least a year or two. My history of problems have been caved in another R7 quad and two Titleist 983k drivers and snapped a couple of shafts also (with in the last two years).

Does anyone have any thoughts of a driver the could handle up to the presures of my swing. Some of the drivers that I was wondering about were the Cobra speed X or the XX. Also the Callaway fusion tour, or the AGT Aurora, and the SMT 455 drivers. I hoping some of you can give me more clarity and your opinion on this problem that I am having with drivers.

I am 21 and my specs for my swing is driver swing speed of 125 average and 6 iron swing speed of 110. Ball carry for the driver is 325 and 6 iron carry is 210. Ball speeds off the driver is 185 average. A smash average of 1.50 to 1.55. Also I play 4 times a week, train 4 times a week, and practice 1 to 2 hours for a least 2 to 3 days a week also.

My driver specs for the R7quad is:

Loft: 10.5

Shaft: Fujikura Speeder 757 X fles tipped 1" 0.350 tip.

Length is 44.5"

Weights: 10's in front and 2's in the back

To some that might not believe me and my specs. I do not care that you might think I am full of shet or think I am making this stuff up. I have heard it all so you do not have to give your two cent I REALLY DON'T CARE!

Not to be a cold water splasher but you ain't going anywhere with that swing speed in the LDA. You need to see what those guys are turning. The senior LDA guys are turning those speeds and some higher. Those are more top third PGA tour swing speeds but not LDA. If you can't regularly turn 145+ drop back and punt. I've seen much higher speeds than that at local qualifiers (150+). Take it from someone who has been there. I stopped competing a year ago in the seniors when my SS fell under 127. Of course I am 63+ years old and have had back, knee, and rotator cuff surgeries.

By the way I see nothing to doubt you on in your posting, sound very much like a couple of 17 year olds I hit balls with that are in the 16-18 division of the ReMax competition.

If you are going the long drive route...get used to cracking faces. Those guys usually bring go through driver heads like a 30 handicap goes through golf balls...you swing that fast you will snap shafts and crack faces...do it for a living and plan to go through a 50-100 heads a year.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

To echo Dyno's point...your post was rather juvenile. Where does your anger emanate from?

You could train for a grammar contest too. :yahoo: I'm Sorry, that was below the belt. But if you are an athlete then you are used to a ribbing every now & then. :yahoo: JK dude.

If you crack the face welds on your drivers, then play a driver without welding. The fusion is made with a rubber bond, but they are a pain to reshaft. I have a ss around 120 & I have cracked a 975 L-FE, R7 tp & a Yonex Rekin Super II. All on weld spots high on the face. You might want to look at LD clubs such as SMT or alpha . You will also need to pick up about 25 mph in clubhead speed & you won't/can't swing around 150 mph with a 44.5" shaft. Get a 48 incher & you could have a chance @ 135 if you can keep the swing weight from getting out of hand. BTW the guys on the LDA are not humans. Good luck Longdriva66.

I also have a 49" Cobra 450 tour 8.0 with an Accuflex Assiaian to 4X driver for practice for Long Drive. on the range I will hit 370 carry.

The R7 is my every day driver.

Wow...why so defensive? Its not like those stats are unheard of. There are plenty of guys on the PGA Tour with a ss like that. I think for the LDA that would be considered pretty low end. I even know a few recreational players with similar numbers. I'm surprised you are so defensive about your merely pedestrian stats.

Sort of like saying, "My '86 Toyota goes 45 mph, and if you don't believe me I don't care"

...No one doubts you when you're unspectacular!