2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

PGA Tour and the Average Golfer

dfife

Can your typical 4 man scramble team keep a card on tour
Here's the scenario:

Given a 4 - man scramble team made up of the following:
2 with handicaps between 10 and 5
2 with handicaps between 15 and 25

Over the course of a season on the PGA Tour would they make enough money as a team to keep their card. Obviously rules would be more strict about where the ball was played from and etc. The key is playing from the same tees and on the same set-up would the team keeps their card?

So what does everyone think?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the scenario:

Given a 4 - man scramble team made up of the following:

2 with handicaps between 10 and 5

2 with handicaps between 15 and 25

Over the course of a season on the PGA Tour would they make enough money as a team to keep their card. Obviously rules would be more strict about where the ball was played from and etc. The key is playing from the same tees and on the same set-up would the team keeps their card?

So what does everyone think?

I would go with yes. Being that scramble plays the best shot, given the ordinary talents of a 4 man team such as you propose, with each having different strengths and weaknesses (whereas a pro has many strengths and little weaknesses), I would think they would earn their keep on the tour. It will be interesting to hear what others have to say.

The scramble team would do alright on the PGA Tour... my team is of that handicap make up and we have shot 57,61,62.. Ofcourse PGA courses are tougher so our average would be somewhat higher..but we should score in the 60's with ease.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

Net scores? Of course because everyone knows the typical four man scramble is FOS. The 2 with indexes of 5-10 really shoot 72-73, and the other two with 15+ indexes shoot 80. So net, they are about what?....a 59?

Seriously, with those indexes listed above playing best ball, playing by the rules, and no net scores, there is no f'g way they would survive on tour.

Typical 4 man scramble with those indexes can't putt to save their life. Add a little pressure with the PGA Tour and all that goes with it and the greens alone kill them. They would not even make the cut the majority of the time.

D.A. Points is on the bubble for conditional status at 150 on the money list and his scoring avg is just under par at 71.89.

Like I said, no f'g way the average 4 man scramble gets even close. They would probably be suspended anyway for breaking too many rules week in and week out.

Like I said, no f'g way the average 4 man scramble gets even close. They would probablybe suspended anyway for breaking too many rules week in and week out.

I agree. Most scrambles are held at some pretty easy courses compared to your average PGA Tour stop.

Give a men's team a chance to scramble on the LPGA Tour and they could manage to keep their cards, I think, but on the PGA Tour, no way.

I don't think 4 amatuers would have a chance playing courses where 460 yard par 4s are the norm. Also, in a scramble, everyone gets to place their ball within 1 clublength of the ball they are playing, so to be fair, you'd have to let the pros play lift, clean, and place, through the green. Courses set up for tour events play very fast and firm, which would probably be another problem for the scramble team. The big difference, though, is putting. The average tour player can putt lights out.

It would be a joke, the 4-man scramble has no chance. You could take 4 supposively scratch golfers from your local club, and they couldn't make a cut. I'm no not talking about college stars trying to turn pro, but older guys who know their hole course very well but have a game that does not travel.

Anyone ever see the greenside rough at a PGA Tour event like the one at Torrey Pines, or the Memorial, or Colonial? It's brutal, your typical single index wouldn't know what to do to keep the ball anywhere in the vicinity of the hole.

Not a chance.

Don't want to attack anyone but the question was asked. Some folks have a very high opinion of their own talent but I am certain if the handicaps are as specified and they play by the rules on the courses as they are setup on the PGA tour it would be very unlikely that they ever make a cut.

Like the ad says - These guys are good. Believe it.

Cleveland Classic 290 9*Miyazaki C.Kua S
Callaway S2H2 BBWB Deuce & X 4W
Adams Idea A7 PNT 19* 3H & 22* 4H
Adams A4 Forged 5-PW
Adams A4 Forged GW,SW,LW
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 34"

It would be a joke, the 4-man scramble has no chance. You could take 4 supposively scratch golfers from your local club, and they couldn't make a cut. I'm no not talking about college stars trying to turn pro, but older guys who know their hole course very well but have a game that does not travel.

Anyone ever see the greenside rough at a PGA Tour event like the one at Torrey Pines, or the Memorial, or Colonial? It's brutal, your typical single index wouldn't know what to do to keep the ball anywhere in the vicinity of the hole.

Funny that you mention Colonial. The PGA cuts the rough to almost nothing compared to what it is the rest of the year (dormant months aside). The course is set-up perfectly and the greens are in better shape that week then at any other time of the year. I would say the course plays an easy 2-3 strokes easier for the tour guys than it does for the membership just given the conditions, namely rough.

The PGA mandates that the rough be cut to 2 3/4 inches during the tournament, where as it gets to 4-5 inches alot of the time. The basic reasoning for this is the PGA likes birdies. If every Sunday you turned on the tube to see people backing up like they did at the Open, you'd be one of few watching.

I've played several PGA tour courses and haven't found them to be all that difficult. This is particularly true of the more modern courses, with large greens, wide fairways, and smallish trees. The "stadium" type courses, for the most part (I realize this is a huge generalization), are just easier to play in my opinion, but I'm a bit wild off the tee at times. The biggest difference between PGA type courses and the courses most people play on a daily basis is conditionig. You put those PGA guys on a course that looks like a goat patch and they'll struggle just like anyone else.

I still say that I could take myself and 3 of my regular golf partners, who all have TRUE indexes within the guidelines lifted above (we play everything down, putt everything out, and know the rules very well as we've got enough want-a-be rules officials, ie lawyers, who don't want to be cheated), and I am certain we'd not only make it on tour, we'd dominate. I would imagine the average score would be between 4 and 6 under per round which is better than any tour players scoring average. If let us take our 4 best scratch golfers, the result would be even more dominating.

Saying you'd dominate is a bit of an overstatement.

No, it's a lot of an overstatement.

The skills of 4 average golfers < The skills of a dominant PGA golfer.

Play those courses from the tips and you're in trouble. I can't imagine four golfers with the handicaps given would be able to consistantly get drives out to where you're hitting reasonable scoring clubs into the greens. If the four of you were hitting a lot of 6+ irons into the green the typical result probably wouldn't be as good as the pro's... 8 iron?

Take par 3's into consideration too. On a typical 180 yard par 3 how often will the scramble of average guys get it into scoring range?

Your 4 best golfers would be interesting though. You get 4 near scratch guys and you probably have enough talent there to:

1. Get drives in the fairway and out as far as the "average" tour drive

2. Hit at least one approach shot into scoring range

3. Make a lot of <15' putts

Four average golfers though, don't do anything consistant enough to dominate.

:yahoo:

Callaway RAZR Fit 9.5
Titleist 909F3 15.5
Nike VR-S Covert Tour #3
Mizuno MP-59
Miura Black Wedge Series 52,56,60
Bettinardi Kuchar Model 2

"What's happening out on 16 Gary?"

"Well, Bubba just peed behind that tree over there and the gallery standing on the other side didn't think real highly of it, particularly the lady sitting on the ground next to the tree. Jim Bob tried to tell Bubba to stop it because this is a fancy course, but Bubba just couldn't wait. Jethro and Jimmy Lee are hitting on the beer girl and haven't hit a shot in two holes. A rules official is on his way to try and help out. Back to you Lanny".

It'd be pure greatness if you let a few rednecks from the local muni's down here play.

A friend recently sponsered a golf tournament out in a small west Texas town and his ranch-hands decided to play as a group. One young kid, who rarely say's anything, and had probably never seen a golf course before was talked into playing.

He arrived at the course in his normal work-clothes: boots, Wranglers, big ole belt with a big old belt buckle, cowboy hat, and western shirt. Of course, it was around 100 that day and the kid got hot. A couple of the others started giving him a hard time about not wearing shorts in that heat and he said he didn't own any.

Well, next thing you know, he's gotten out his pocket knife and cut the legs off his jeans. He's probably 6'5" and might weigh 155 pounds. Just an absolute bean pole. The sight of this guy trying to hit a golf ball, in all his cowboy duds, with legs as white as his socks was really something to behold.

Let me put a team together and play for PGA money, and I'll make sure my entire team dresses in that exact uniform!!

Gosh, I sure am ready for this long weekend. Need to play golf rather than talk about it.

I would say that my group would kick some butt on the tour, I'm the worst in our group and In a 16 now, but I can chip and putt, if only i could keep it in the fairways and hit more greens I would drop real quick. Other members in our group and long ball hitters with deadly irons. When we play in a 4 man scramble we normally shoot 12-15 under

I would say that my group would kick some butt on the tour, I'm the worst in our group and In a 16 now, but I can chip and putt, if only i could keep it in the fairways and hit more greens I would drop real quick. Other members in our group and long ball hitters with deadly irons. When we play in a 4 man scramble we normally shoot 12-15 under

That's kind of the way I was thinking too. Last fall, four of us from my office played in a scramble and shot -14 not using any trash (mulligans, strings, kicks, etc.). Now our handicaps are a bit below the parameters above as we had a 4, 9, 12, and 14 playing.

Of course, the biggest problems with scrambles is how many people cheat. The group behind us turned in the "winning" score and I never saw them hit a fairway off the tee.

Exactly, there is entirely too much cheating going on in scrambles. Especially when they only put one team per tee box. And I am as guilty as anyone on this. I've been in scrambles before where we would walk up to the green, hit our balls (the three of us that weren't closest to the hole) and if one of them went it, then we counted the score and went on.

We still didn't win, but we did play fast and drank more beer :yahoo: I think we ended up shooting a 9 under, seems like 12 won it. And on all of those greens where we did our little cheating tactic, only one of the balls found the cup. Still didn't matter though, cheating is cheating and we were completely in the wrong for doing so.

Back on topic, I am sure there are some teams out there that could keep their card if they played the same venue, with the same tees and the same stimp readings, but I don't think there would be that many. It all depends on the course setup. Set up Winged Foot and see how many break par there, then set up Colonial or Riviera or Pebble and do the same. It all depends on the set up and who is setting the course up IMHO.

Not trying to single anyone out, but in general the golf world is full of tons of people who think they are great driver, great iron players, great short game, or great putting. But what kind of course setup and pressure do they experience? Almost nothing.

Yes, the PGA players get the best of all worlds in course conditions, but this would not help much for the average player. Certain venues are birdie fests and I can see a scramble making a cut; Phoenix comes to mind. But most venues have narrow landing areas, thick rough, tucked pins, and no usual scramble comforts like beer, carts, GPS, trash talking, hot dogs, and the ocassional skirting of the rules.

Fun topic, but even a scramble of four single digits are dreaming if they think they could make a cut at a tough venue. Last year at Harding for example...forget it. When I played the AMEX championship setup last year with horrendous rough and long par 4's into the heavy air and wind, the foursome had plenty of game, we would be a deadly scramble at your typical hackfest, but just by gauging from our best score (not best ball), I remember we probably would have been 2 over on the front, and 2 under on the back. Playing it as a scramble, I don't see us doing much better...too many holes where par is a good score, you take it and move on.

I don't think a team would be able to keep there card. I think the difficulty of the courses and the quality of the pro's is at a level that would kill a scramble team. Take two of your par 5's at your home course and turn them into par 4's.

It would be an unbelievable reality show for the golf channel. I would sign up in a heartbeat.

In a few weeks the nationwide tour will hold a monday qualifier at the same course that a team I was on shot 11 under from the whites. I honestly don't even think that will hold up to make it into the event. Maybe I have to much respect for these guys abilities. It seems though in the few times that I have seen them (PGA and Nationwide) it's a different world all together as far as course set-up and level of play.

Not trying to single anyone out, but in general the golf world is full of tons of people who think they are great driver, great iron players, great short game, or great putting. But what kind of course setup and pressure do they experience? Almost nothing.

Yes, the PGA players get the best of all worlds in course conditions, but this would not help much for the average player. Certain venues are birdie fests and I can see a scramble making a cut; Phoenix comes to mind. But most venues have narrow landing areas, thick rough, tucked pins, and no usual scramble comforts like beer, carts, GPS, trash talking, hot dogs, and the ocassional skirting of the rules.

Fun topic, but even a scramble of four single digits are dreaming if they think they could make a cut at a tough venue. Last year at Harding for example...forget it. When I played the AMEX championship setup last year with horrendous rough and long par 4's into the heavy air and wind, the foursome had plenty of game, we would be a deadly scramble at your typical hackfest, but just by gauging from our best score (not best ball), I remember we probably would have been 2 over on the front, and 2 under on the back. Playing it as a scramble, I don't see us doing much better...too many holes where par is a good score, you take it and move on.

I agree that it's a fun topic, but I'm still convinced that the foursome would dominate.

I will qualify my statement by adding that I play one of the tougher courses on the PGA Tour (based on average cut lines) almost daily, have played it with tour pro's, and feel like it would be no contest.

I'll give an example of why I feel this way. In two weeks we'll have a two day, member-member, two man scramble. My index is 10 and my partners is about 8.5, and we'll be in the 3rd or 4th flight. We'll need to shoot somewhere around 6-8 under for those two days to get in the money. And this is a true scramble: Normal rules of golf apply and both players must hit shots from within one-grip length of the original ball. Granted, we are playing the ball up, but a 4 man team would be as well.

Last year, I can't remember the winning score in the first flight, but do know that a pair of 5 handicaps shot -8 on one side.

Again, this is playing a true scramble, on a tough, tight golf course in conditions that aren't nearly as favorable as when the tour is in town (the bunkers aren't perfect, the greens aren't nearly as fast, the rough is deeper and more mature, it's much hotter being mid-July in Texas, etc).

For our tour event, the cut was at +1 (the lowest it's been in a while) and -12 won.

Maybe this topic will stay around a couple of weeks and I can remember to see what scores win this year.

Absolutely no way!

Right off the bat, the scramble group couldn't hit it far enough off the tee on PGA courses to make any birdies---end of story!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

• 2 weeks later...

I've obviously had some pretty big opinions on this matter (given my amount of posts on this thread), but I'll get a pretty good idea this weekend.

I'm playing in a two day, two-man, scramble this weekend. My index is 9.1 and my partners is 8.7. We're a pretty interesting pair in that our games are polar opposite, while are scores are pretty similar.

I bomb it off the tee, have a fairly good short game, and am an above average putter. My only real mistakes are mental in that I just seem to have at least 2 blow-up holes per round, though I'm improving.

My partner is short.. really short. But, he hits the ball dead straight, rarely makes a mistake, and has a very good short game. Where I might shoot 35 on one side and 45 on the other, his game is a constant string of scores between 78-82.

Our home course is the longest constant venue on the PGA tour. We won't be playing the tips, so it's not a perfect study, but for me the tips versus the men's tees make maybe 2-3 strokes difference at most. If I'm on, I shoot about the same from both tees and if I'm off, it doesn't matter if you let me hit from the reds. The condition of the greens right now versus when the tour was in town might make all things pretty close to even (they were punched Monday and are slow and bumpy).

Anyway, I'll pay closer attention the scoring over the weekend and see what the results may be.

Absolutely no way!

Right off the bat, the scramble group couldn't hit it far enough off the tee on PGA courses to make any birdies---end of story!

Texsport

Exactly, most handicaps in that range don't have nearly the length to compete. Even with a scramble, on long par 3's and especially par 4's, it would be tough to score well enough to keep a tour card. I'm not saying for one glorious round a scramble wouldn't do well, but not consistently over the course of a season.

8.5* Nike Vapor Speed - 7m3
15* Cobra Amp Cell - Fubuki 70x
18* Adams A12 - GD DI 85x
20* Adams Super 9031 - UST VTS 100x
54*, 58* Nike VR Forged
5-PW Mizuno MP64 - PXi 6.0