65 gram vs 75 or 85 gram driver shaft

Hifade

opinions on control needed
So here's the deal. I'm wondering if there is any data to show that a slightly heavier shaft in the driver leads to straighter shots (I know, I know, lots more variables to consider), but in general. I'm well aware that a 75 to 85 gram shaft is a better fit when wanting to play the driver 44.5" to 45" long. Also, it may be the choice if you are looking for a bit more accuracy.....understanding that you could, quite possibly, sacrifice a little distance due to shorter length.

Maybe a better way to put it is, does a slightly heavier driver shaft help eliminate that time to time snapper off the tee? It's apparent to me most guys on tour go with a heavier driver shaft. Do you suppose it simply because they want the finished club in that 44.5" to 45" long range or are there other inherent benefits?

Just wondering because I've always gone with the 60 to 65 gram shaft in "X" flex but I'm considering something 1/2" shorter in the 75 gram range.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always heard that the heavier shaft helps you stay on plane better? Not sure, but I am about to upgrade my driver shaft from 60 to 70 and cut it down to 44.5". Have a TM R9 460 and R9 3-Fairway. Just for fun I put the shorter, heavier fairway shaft in the driver. Too short but really felt good. Better contact on the center of the clubface, felt where the head was in the swing better, and could go after it more with more accurate results.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Diamana D+ 63g Stiff
Callaway XR 5 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Callaway XR 7 wood, Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist 915 H 24*, Diamana D+ 82 HY Stiff
Ping i500, DG S300 105
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & 58, Ping AMT Stiff
Scotty Cameron CA Monterey, 35"

I'd try it, but don't think you need to go shorter with it. Most of the heavier shafts are designed to balance and swingweight the same as the 65g shafts.

I'm happy to trade 1-2mph of clubhead speed to hit the center of the face more often. Since you are getting better contact, it often translates in to longer consistent distance.

The 65g shaft may be longer on one hit, but if the rest are in the rough and woods, it is worth it?

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

I always preferred the heavier shafts in my driver, I felt that I could swing harder at the ball while in control, because I could feel the shaft on plane. It also matched better to my tempo as the light weights felt out of control.

That said, I have since lost SS and am gaming for the first time a 65g shaft, that has been great. I believe because it is a counterbalanced shaft I feel the weight more where I am used to feeling it with the heavier shafts. It seems easier to hit and without the loss of control.

I suggest you try something in the 75g range, for a start. For the most part the club feels more solid with a heavier shaft and I don't see any reason for you to loose much distance if at all. As noted shots from the center of the face fly further, than more speed from the toe.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Using the ust shaft selector, if you choose accuracy it will always select a heavier shaft for you. I chose both dist and accurate and 112ss and it recommended 76g axiv green. Still the straightest I have tried for me, and long. I'm on my second diamina and next is to go back to axiv green.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1280934347' post='2617836']
So here's the deal. I'm wondering if there is any data to show that a slightly heavier shaft in the driver leads to straighter shots (I know, I know, lots more variables to consider), but in general. I'm well aware that a 75 to 85 gram shaft is a better fit when wanting to play the driver 44.5" to 45" long. Also, it may be the choice if you are looking for a bit more accuracy.....understanding that you could, quite possibly, sacrifice a little distance due to shorter length.

Maybe a better way to put it is, does a slightly heavier driver shaft help eliminate that time to time snapper off the tee? It's apparent to me most guys on tour go with a heavier driver shaft. Do you suppose it simply because they want the finished club in that 44.5" to 45" long range or are there other inherent benefits?

Just wondering because I've always gone with the 60 to 65 gram shaft in "X" flex but I'm considering something 1/2" shorter in the 75 gram range.
[/quote]

Eliminating snappers has little to do with shaft weight, and more to do with hands and mechanics at impact, least IMO.

There are guys on all tours using 46" shafts, like VJ; as well as 44" shafts, and the last I knew Stuart Appleby was using 43". Weight on tour is all about getting the right trajectory, spin numbers and resulting distance, then feel. They don't typically decide about their tools like most amateurs, in part because they are making a living and expectations are different then amateurs.

Depending on your SS, going from "X" in 60-65 doesn't necessary mean you can handle 70-80 gram in X. That's not to say you couldn't swing that weight shaft. You just might loose distance, depending on your strength and SS. You might have to drop a flex, or then again you down range results might improve, depends on the shaft profile.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

I've came full circle, I was 80-90gr for every driver and 3w I had for years and now I love mid 60's with the right profile. I've picked up MPH and surprisingly accuracy. With the 80's in the driver I never tipped them but the 60"s I usually tip them 1" . If you had told me 2 years ago that I would have a 63gr driver shaft I would have said no freakin way. I ended up going lighter with the whole bag and have never been more consistent with the driver and hitting my irons longer than ever. As long as I can get the swingweight I'm after with the shaft length I need I dont see myself going back to heavier driver shafts.

After overlooking so many shafts because of the weight I have gone back and found tons that I love. The Blue, Pype 60, Motore F1 65, BB 63 and the RIP 60 X tipped is unbelievably good. I still hate the NV below 85gr though.

MP-650 9.5° Rogue Silver 70X
TEE CB Pro 15.5° D+ 82X
XCG7 Beta 19° NV 85X
Cleveland CG1 Tour 3-pw DG X200
588 DSG RTG 52°/58° DG S300
Guerin Tour Spec 35"
Z-Star XV gen. 1

I went BB 83 before last season and love it. Cut to 44.75" and let it rip. My ss is a hair above 110 and I went with the stiff, tipped 1/2". The BB83 is actually only 78g raw, so it really could be the same weight as alot of shafts marked in the 75g range.

I recently picked up a VT80D which is 85g raw and played it at 44.5" tipped 1/2". The extra 7g is definintely noticeable and it took me a round or so to get used to it. But I find I am high on the center of the face just about every swing now. The extra weight and shorter shaft makes me stay smooth (which is why I can hit the stiff flex) and results in keeping the tempo in check.

I have not noticed a change in distance but have noticed a huge increase in accuracy. Misses are now just off the fairway instead of way off the fairway.

FWIW - Sergio played a 103g BB at 43.75" last year at NEC and Phil went 44" at 90g this week (which is amazing since he usually plays a 55g Fubuki). Maybe there is something to it.

[quote name='Hifade' timestamp='1280934347' post='2617836']

[/quote]

... You are right of course. There are a lot of variables. Going shorter does not mean you need to go heavier, you can just add a little more weight to the club head which can produce longer drives. A good rule of thumb is play the lightest shaft [b][i]that you can control.[/i][/b] Keep in mind that almost unilaterally, the higher the weight the lower the torque, and most of the time it also means a slightly lower trajectory. Obviously stronger, faster swing speed players or those with short explosive swings usually do well with higher weights, but even those guys with high swing speeds that have great tempo can play lighter shafts. Appleby is a great example. He not only uses 60gm RIP in his driver, but has a 60gm RIP in his 3 wood too.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x