2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Tucson Course Conditions

Just wondering if anybody had a clue as to the course conditions for the following Tucson courses:

AZ National

Vistoso

Starr Pass

My brothers are coming in from Texas later this week and I am trying to get the first two days of golf scheduled. EZlinks has some killer deals on these courses but since I don't live in Tucson, I don't know if they are punched, brown, or what!

Any help is appreciated.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vistoso is in great shape! Az national is good but overseeding is right around the corner. And if your coming out here Gotta play the ritz. But honestly the best course no one has heard about in southern arizona is actually south of SV! TV golf and rv! The 25 bucks to play on that course is a steal. I would play one day here and one day down there

[quote name='Zooko23' timestamp='1282012120' post='2643719']
Vistoso is in great shape! Az national is good but overseeding is right around the corner. And if your coming out here Gotta play the ritz. But honestly the best course no one has heard about in southern arizona is actually south of SV! TV golf and rv! The 25 bucks to play on that course is a steal. I would play one day here and one day down there
[/quote]
Home of the Rattler!!!

[quote name='birdieblair' timestamp='1282016749' post='2643869']
[/quote]
Home of the Rattler!!!
[/quote]

What is the name of the course you are talking about?

[quote name='jmorr81' timestamp='1282017648' post='2643891']
[/quote]
Home of the Rattler!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]
Turquoise Valley Golf and RV park

Generally speaking, the best conditions of the summer are August through September right up to when they start the overseed. Bermuda grass thrives with the monsoon humidity.

That said, most courses will do another light aerification of the greens around this time of year so it never hurts to check.

greenskeeper.org does a good job keeping up with maintenance alerts.

[quote name='birdieblair' timestamp='1282018663' post='2643916']
[quote name='jmorr81' timestamp='1282017648' post='2643891']
[/quote]
Home of the Rattler!!!
[/quote]

[/quote]
Turquoise Valley Golf and RV park
[/quote]

Yep!!!!!!!Love that course best course no one has heard of. And besides you can stop in bisbee on the way back for some post round cocktails!

• 5 weeks later...

This is what I have to say now that I've lived here for over 2 1/2 years. Tucson golf and conditions Are nasty, Very disappointed. Extremely over priced for what you get.

AZ NAT and Star pass are two of the biggest jokes of a golf course,stupid layouts.Vistoso isn't one of my fav's either,but the conditions is better out of the three

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1284819119' post='2702993']
This is what I have to say now that I've lived here for over 2 1/2 years. Tucson golf and conditions Are nasty, Very disappointed. Extremely over priced for what you get.
[/quote]

Lived here for 11 yrs so far, and with regard to the price/value of the 'Tourist Traps', I agree. I do love playing golf year round however (every Sunday at least), and don't have piles of discretionary cash laying around, so I play a few of the munis, Randolph, Del Urich, and Silverbell primarily, with Crooked Tree being my favorite/home course. Playing that course from the blues is more than enough challenge for me, thanks. (that 250 yd par three is the worst)

I did play Star Pass once (overseeding had me desperate last year) and thought it (layout) was a joke. No wonder the PGA won't come back. Played Vistoso once too. Target golf is also a joke, IMO.

No conditions are not the best, but it doesn't cost much to play these mundane venues, and I get to walk. Won't play a course I can't walk unless I have no choice, but that's just me. If I could afford it, I'd live/play Tucson National exclusively, but that won't happen unless I trip and fall into a pile of money.

I just wish the Snowbirds would stay at the Tourist Traps and leave the 'poor' munis for us locals... :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19
Ping iBlade 4-PW power spec
Macgregor VIP wedges 51, 56, and 60

[quote name='wrmiller' timestamp='1284823311' post='2703053']
[/quote]

Lived here for 11 yrs so far, and with regard to the price/value of the 'Tourist Traps', I agree. I do love playing golf year round however (every Sunday at least), and don't have piles of discretionary cash laying around, so I play a few of the munis, Randolph, Del Urich, and Silverbell primarily, with Crooked Tree being my favorite/home course. Playing that course from the blues is more than enough challenge for me, thanks. (that 250 yd par three is the worst)

I did play Star Pass once (overseeding had me desperate last year) and thought it (layout) was a joke. No wonder the PGA won't come back. Played Vistoso once too. Target golf is also a joke, IMO.

No conditions are not the best, but it doesn't cost much to play these mundane venues, and I get to walk. Won't play a course I can't walk unless I have no choice, but that's just me. If I could afford it, I'd live/play Tucson National exclusively, but that won't happen unless I trip and fall into a pile of money.

I just wish the Snowbirds would stay at the Tourist Traps and leave the 'poor' munis for us locals... :)
[/quote]
Cost is only fair during the summer months,then Del Urich goes to a whopping $75 for a city course.Why can't they offer residents a discounted rate during the so called prime time?Why should we get screwed for living here. Gawd do I miss my former california beautiful courses which don't rip me off

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1284826747' post='2703107']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Cost is only fair during the summer months,then Del Urich goes to a whopping $75 for a city course.Why can't they offer residents a discounted rate during the so called prime time?Why should we get screwed for living here. Gawd do I miss my former california beautiful courses which don't rip me off
[/quote]

I don't want to hijack this thread more than necessary, but I've never paid 75 at DU. Ever. Most I payed last winter was 36. Now that was to walk though, so add 12 for the cart if you ride. Do you have a resident card?

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

[quote name='wrmiller' timestamp='1284839706' post='2703302']
[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1284826747' post='2703107']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I don't want to hijack this thread more than necessary, but I've never paid 75 at DU. Ever. Most I payed last winter was 36. Now that was to walk though, so add 12 for the cart if you ride. Do you have a resident card?
[/quote]

Yeah-I just moved back here after 3 years away (3 1/2 years here prior). Tucson city courses are a great value-dirt cheap in the summer, and still not that expensive in the winter. I never paid anywhere near $75 for Fred Enke or Randolph or Dell Urich. I find Tucson to be a much better golf value than cities in CA, like San Diego. SD has tons of courses but the vast majority aren't cheap, and the ones that are cheap aren't kept up as well as the Tucson city courses. Buffalo was a great golf value, but the season was April-October, and even then it rained half the time.

Played Del Urich this morning for $25, played in under 4 hrs. Doesn't get much better than this. :)

NOTE: fairways are getting cut down in preperation for over seeding in a few weeks. This is the ONLY time of the year my drives actually get a little run-out. Normally I get about 10'...

Greens are still pretty good though. Kinda slow, but rolling true.

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19

[quote name='Clueless' timestamp='1284935623' post='2704587']
Greenskeeper.org has Angeles National, Industry Hills and Robinson Ranch all over $100 to play on weekends. Not to mention the Orange County courses. Unless you played the munis in Cali the golf prices in Tucson are a bargain compared to similar quality courses in California.
[/quote]
Yes, those three are that high.But, since you started this,Look into Rustic canyon,empire lakes,Sierra lakes,rancho vista and sterling hills,and olivas links. The most expensive is Empire lakes and I never paid more then $65.Empire held a nationwide tourney and was designed by Arnold Palmer.

Golf is way more expensive in Tucson during the winter/spring time and is dirt cheap during the summer months,but conditions suffer big time.

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1284952938' post='2705011']
Greenskeeper.org has Angeles National, Industry Hills and Robinson Ranch all over $100 to play on weekends. Not to mention the Orange County courses. Unless you played the munis in Cali the golf prices in Tucson are a bargain compared to similar quality courses in California.
[/quote]
Yes, those three are that high.But, since you started this,Look into Rustic canyon,empire lakes,Sierra lakes,rancho vista and sterling hills,and olivas links. The most expensive is Empire lakes and I never paid more then $65.Empire held a nationwide tourney and was designed by Arnold Palmer.

Golf is way more expensive in Tucson during the winter/spring time and is dirt cheap during the summer months,but conditions suffer big time.
[/quote]

According to Greenskeeper.com's ratings Rustic Canyon is pretty good, Empire Lakes, Sierra Lakes and the others mentioned are actually way inland in the Inland Empire, not in the Los Angeles/ Orange County area. Tucson is in the heart of a bunch of resorts with little driving distances. The Inland Empire is an hour to an hour and a half if you live in the Los Angeles area. It would be like living in Tucson and driving to Green Valley. Let's compare apples to apples here. Tucson is very competitive with golf pricing when compared with other metro areas such as Phoenix/ Palm Springs/ San Diego/ Orange County and Los Angeles.

[quote name='Clueless' timestamp='1284954412' post='2705033']
[/quote]

[/quote]

According to Greenskeeper.com's ratings Rustic Canyon is pretty good, Empire Lakes, Sierra Lakes and the others mentioned are actually way inland in the Inland Empire, not in the Los Angeles/ Orange County area. Tucson is in the heart of a bunch of resorts with little driving distances. The Inland Empire is an hour to an hour and a half if you live in the Los Angeles area. It would be like living in Tucson and driving to Green Valley. Let's compare apples to apples here. Tucson is very competitive with golf pricing when compared with other metro areas such as Phoenix/ Palm Springs/ San Diego/ Orange County and Los Angeles.
[/quote]
I 'm comparing apples to apples .I lived in the San Fernando Valley and drove up to an hour and half many times,Same as I do here.

We can disagree all we want,but having lived in cali for 40 years and now tucson 2 1/2 years, I feel I'm more then qualified in what I'm talking about.
I'm very disappointed in the course pricing here in Tucson.People told me Golf is great here and I totally disagree.Conditions are great during the winter months,but the courses are not in the greatest of shape during the summer.

Just 1 month ago,the catalina course was extremely disappointing to play.The greens were horrible,lots of bare spots.Cost was $40 and no better shape then many city courses in Cali.

[quote name='jmorr81' timestamp='1284955449' post='2705052']
Isn't Green Valley only 25-30 minutes from Tucson?
[/quote]
All depends on where you live.Middle of Tucson,yes.Not from the oro valley area or sabino canyon area. Tucson is spread out.I play a few courses down there,a few nice courses,but nothing spectacular

[quote name='BigLeftyinAZ' timestamp='1284955953' post='2705062']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I 'm comparing apples to apples .I lived in the San Fernando Valley and drove up to an hour and half many times,Same as I do here.

We can disagree all we want,but having lived in cali for 40 years and now tucson 2 1/2 years, I feel I'm more then qualified in what I'm talking about.
I'm very disappointed in the course pricing here in Tucson.People told me Golf is great here and I totally disagree.Conditions are great during the winter months,but the courses are not in the greatest of shape during the summer.

Just 1 month ago,the catalina course was extremely disappointing to play.The greens were horrible,lots of bare spots.Cost was $40 and no better shape then many city courses in Cali.
[/quote]

Why do you think it was $40? It is well known that summer golf in the desert is not prime time and the price reflects it. Unfortunately golf is not a cheap game, but when you compare the best Tucson courses in their prime against top courses in their prime in Phoenix and Cali, the price is comparable. $100-$150 is not unreasonable. Many top courses go for $200 or more during their prime. I payed over $200 to play Pelican Hill and Torrey Pines in Cali and it was worth every penny. There are plenty of low end courses around in the peak season that are in decent shape for under $100...just don't expect to play the top end courses for that price. Greenskeep.org even has Empire Lakes over $100 during prime season so that was a bad example. Lighten up and ejoy the game. It costs a lot to maintain a top notch facility and the green fees fairly reflect that. You know the old adage...you get what you pay for!

Cheers!

[quote name='Clueless' timestamp='1284994228' post='2705405']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Why do you think it was $40? It is well known that summer golf in the desert is not prime time and the price reflects it. Unfortunately golf is not a cheap game, but when you compare the best Tucson courses in their prime against top courses in their prime in Phoenix and Cali, the price is comparable. $100-$150 is not unreasonable. Many top courses go for $200 or more during their prime. I payed over $200 to play Pelican Hill and Torrey Pines in Cali and it was worth every penny. There are plenty of low end courses around in the peak season that are in decent shape for under $100...just don't expect to play the top end courses for that price. Greenskeep.org even has Empire Lakes over $100 during prime season so that was a bad example. Lighten up and ejoy the game. It costs a lot to maintain a top notch facility and the green fees fairly reflect that. You know the old adage...you get what you pay for!

Cheers!
[/quote]
Believe a website all u want.

I Never paid more then $65 all year long at Empire.There is no prime time fees to play golf in cali. We never paid taxes on our golf either.

There are no excuses for a course to not maintain top quality during the summer months.

[/quote]

Much of the tourist golf in Arizona has been overbuilt and once the bubble burst, many places are struggling. I think a lot of what you see conditioning-wise reflects that. In these times, courses aren't willing to put a lot of money into maintenance during the summer. It is a shame but I think simply a matter of economics. More effort is spent during the high season to attract the tourists willing to pay the higher freight.

Another phenomenon that is catching up with many Arizona courses is the annual overseed has a cumulative effect on the base bermuda turf that negatively effects the ability for the bermuda turf to recover and thrive during the summer. Courses would be better off letting the turf "rest" by not overseeding every couple of years, but that's not going to happen. Summer golfers pay the price.

To be honest, there really is not a lot of great golf that I have discovered in Tucson. The golf boom produced a lot of resort/tourist layouts that focus mostly on visual aesthetics with little attention to actual golf values. Not much different than Phoenix actually. People like to come here and play golf in the winter when there is snow on the ground back home and they don't care if it's a thoughtful, interesting design or not just as long at the sun is shining and the grass is green.